Charger Forums banner

OEM projectors...whats needed exactly

2K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  soupa-bee 
#1 ·
not new to projectors or retrofits etc but ive never held an oem hid in my hand for the chargers. for those of you that use OEM, not aftermarket, what is needed to add them to the halogen equipped cars?

obviously we need the ballasts and d1s bulbs but what about connections? are these a straight plug in with the other factory harness or is there modding involved?

im looking at buying some new ones now so i want to know before i bite the bullet.

if anyone has pictures of the install or the back of the light all wired up thatd be appreciated.

#2 ·
Here is what most people do, this should get you going.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142906

Oh yeah I also have done this and have pics of my front end with the oem lights and the oem projector lights, so you can see how much better the front end looks and meaner it looks.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was looking through that thread. Some helpful info. I was looking to stay oem and drop the real coin it needs. Stupid sure but thats how I am. I know the bulbs are different for the high and I dont know if all the replicas use the same hid bulb or not. Also. The biggest issue is if the housing (the back of it) is the same. Same oem ballast placement and holes etc.

Im also notvsure about the fitment. Is it spot on compared to oem?
Still haven't seen a good bunch of pictures of the output of the replicas

sent from my samsung galaxy note 2

#4 ·
Everything is the same on the replica's as compared to the OEM ones. The fit, the look, the way everything hooks up and looks in the back and where the OEM ballasts sits. The only differences are is the OEM projector bowl is better quality and can give a better output, and the price. If you can find a set used, you better save a few months car payments to buy them. The replica's are cheaper and are close to the same quality in my opinion. I too am awful picky on what I put on my car. I think they look great and the output is awesome. I have pics of my car in my album that you can look at to see what you think about fitment and look.

#5 ·
You will need to make some sort of adapter harness to utilize the OEM style plug on the projectors compared to your separate high and low connectors you have stock. The thread mentioned above has the entire parts list you should need if you read through all of it.

#6 ·
well i bit the bullet. bought all brand new housings...OEM housings. not replicas from 1aa or whatever it is. brand new OEM lights, OEM osram d1s bulbs and oem osram ballasts. cant wait to get them. i got such a steal on them i cant even believe. would have been a good deal without the electronics.

#7 ·
If you dont mind me asking where did you buy them at? Damn wish I had a few grand to drop on stuff lol.

#8 ·
Well sure...ebay hah. Got both for about half the price of one of them. $420 shipped. All new components. Really cant beat that anywhere. Almost cheaper than the aftermarket route. There are oems with the electronics going on ebay for 375 to 400 per all day. Still not bad. 800 or less for the set up.

#9 ·
Yeah I guess that isn't too bad, still way more than I spent and if we were driving side by side, you would never know the difference. Anyway you will definitely be amazed at how much better the lights are than the halogen housings you had. Do a good job on the wiring so you can put it somewhere out of the way so you don't see the canbus eliminator or wires for a clean OEM look.

#10 ·
Youre absolutely right. From what I hear the quality of the after market ones are good. Im just a sucker for oem...especially the electronics part of it. It bothers me when I see aftermarket logos on a car.just my preference.

Im going to be running a mopar harness from the retrofit source. Itll all be tucked away behind the bumper. I just need to see if my 08 has the right connection it needs to be 100% pnp or if I need to wire it up. Too bad I dont have the car anymore lol

#11 ·
Yeah I like OEM also. The nice thing about these OEM repro's is that they dont have any logo's or any aftermarket on them. They are even DOT labeled on the front just like OEM. Why are you getting the wire harness from The Retro Source? As far as I could see that was for mopar vehicles that the low beam turns off when you turn on high beams. That doesn't happen in the chargers. When you turn your high beams on the lows are on also. Your 08 still has to be wired up for the new housing. You have a low beam and high beam harness, and the new housings only have one input. You will need to order the parts in the post I listed in order to have it plug n play. You will need the canbus eliminatiors though or you will have problems. It is actually an easy job to do the switch, just take your time. If you have any questions when you do it, just hit me up. Also what do you mean you don't have the car anymore?

#12 ·
they have a couple different mopar harnesses. the one i have been using for a standard HID kit and the one ill be using for the new lights is a relay harness, multiple grounds, and the capacitors to prevent the flickering...same as they have in their flicker eliminator harness. nothing to do with lows going off with highs or anything like that.

i know ive seen a lot of discussion about the 08s not needing the home made harness but i dont believe i heard a confirmation on that.

i will definitely ask if i run in to any issues. no doubt and thanks! reason i cant check is because its 120 miles away at the shop...hense the " dont have the car " statement hah.

#13 ·
On my '08 runnign the D2S set up in the aftermarket projector housing I am just running a relay powered by the factory headlights to control the HIDs. No canbus eliminator, no capacitors, no anti-flicker harness. Switch on the headlights, it triggers the relay and the HIDs turn on. Power for HIDs come off the positive power post under the hood through the relay, not the factory harness. Never had an error code or anything.

#14 ·
So good news! Got the lights today. All is well.

Heres the situation. It looks like on these that there is only one input for both the lows and the highs. All the extensions ive seen made are only for the highs to work. No other socket to plug it in. All thats left is the three prong for the turns.

So, im assuming im going to need to do a variation of the harness but have a 9006 and a 9005 pigtail hanging off and just use the two top pins for lows and the bottom two for the highs.

Didnt see that issue mentioned when you guys got the aftermarkets...

#15 ·
So good news! Got the lights today. All is well.

Heres the situation. It looks like on these that there is only one input for both the lows and the highs. All the extensions ive seen made are only for the highs to work. No other socket to plug it in. All thats left is the three prong for the turns.

So, im assuming im going to need to do a variation of the harness but have a 9006 and a 9005 pigtail hanging off and just use the two top pins for lows and the bottom two for the highs.

Didnt see that issue mentioned when you guys got the aftermarkets...

Look above, one of my replies mentioned having to make a custom harness to go from your stock separate headlight connectors into the single OEM style plug on the projectors. There is a parts list in the one thread that lists the connectors and pins you will need. You have to assemble the connector yourself by crimping the pins on the wires and then inserting the pins in the headlights. Just make sure you have the polarity correct for the HIDs.

#16 ·
^^^im pretty sure i ready through all the informative posts there. especially the first few with the parts mentioned. thing is, im not using the aftermarket ballast. so the green and black harness in the light is already being used by the oem ballast and cannot be hooked up to the harness on the car or anything. there no connection to the low beam other than the 4 cavity connector.

no issue making the harness but i wanted to make sure that i wasnt missing anything when it came to wiring it in. the picture just shows the hook up for the high beams. the pictures and instructions werent assuming the user had oem ballasts from what i see.

Attachments

#17 ·
If you want to do like I did, then you need to do exactly like in the pic for your high beams, and for the HIDs, power from the relay to the positive for the ballast, and ground I hooked to the grounding lug behind the headlight on the fender.

Basically just need to use the other two holes on the connector

#18 ·
Oh ok I gotcha. Saw that whole discussion a while back with xkr or whatever it is about relays. I like the idea but I want it to be as clean as I can. Ill stay with the ece harness.

Appreciate it! Love the cleverness of some of the things people come up with on this site!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.