Charger Forums banner

Security Light on, wont start

53K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Osage 
#1 ·
Today my 2008 Charger refuses to start after driving around for the afternoon. When I insert the key fob, the red security light comes on under the fuel gauge and nothing else happens, and the car won't start.

I've googled around and I see lots of references to a flashing security light, and also the engine starting then stopping after a few seconds.

My light is solid, and only goes out when the key is removed. I tried disconnecting the battery, but to no avail. Its a two hour drive to the dealership, I don't relish the towing bill.

Any ideas?

#5 ·
Did you use the valet key a few times to turn it on? If you trigger the engine self shutdown(security) a few times it will lock til dealership unlocks it.
Bank didnt lock it did they?

#7 ·
If u havent gone to dealer, try putting the key in the ON position for 10 minutes and see if the security thing goes away.

#10 ·
I think this particular time, I needed to get a replacement key, at $300. It was fine after that. Then a year ago I started having iginition problems again, and it a was traced to a faulty WIN Module, basically the part in the dash you insert the key into, so it was replaced at $750. There were recalls for other dodge models for this problem, but not the Charger. I've had no problems since.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.