Steel Brake Lines? [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Steel Brake Lines?

Liquidice281
08-13-2008, 03:58 PM
So I'm painting my calipers soon and a friend mentioned I should go ahead and get steel brake lines put in since my car will be on blocks for 24 hours. Anyone have steel lines on their car? Any improvement? Any vendors selling pre-bent line?

<3 Liquid

CHARGERTREV
08-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Its worth the money...You get alot more "feel" in the pedal. My boys goat upgraded and you can feel them. It keeps your hoses from "sweling" when you hit the breaks. Id say go for it...when my car goes in for some body work and shes gone for 3 days, im going to have them do my calipers and break lines.

Liquidice281
08-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Tutorial Video (http://www.expertvillage.com/video/95188_replace-steel-brakes-custom.htm)

<3 Liquid

Liquidice281
08-13-2008, 06:51 PM
What size brake line? Anyone?

<3 Liquid

DaytonaCris
08-13-2008, 06:55 PM
I would definetly recomend them, they do make a world of a diference IMO, Im not sure about the size what kind of Charger do you have?

Liquidice281
08-13-2008, 06:56 PM
i would definetly recomend them, they do make a world of a diference imo, im not sure about the size what kind of charger do you have?

2008 r/t

Samoan Tsunami
08-13-2008, 08:45 PM
So I'm painting my calipers soon and a friend mentioned I should go ahead and get steel brake lines put in since my car will be on blocks for 24 hours. Anyone have steel lines on their car? Any improvement? Any vendors selling pre-bent line?

<3 Liquid

you mean the hard lines or stainless steel braided lines that replace the rubber stock brake lines?

the video shown is the hard lines.....

did you friend mean stainless steel brake hoses? like these? http://www.pfyc.com/mm5/graphics/new/gn4024.jpg...these connect in between the hard lines and go to the calipers

RitzRT
08-13-2008, 08:56 PM
It makes a MINOR difference, if any. I've done it on a few rides. It was barely noticeable, not a night and day difference. The flexible brake line between the caliper and the fixed steel lines is a relatively tiny fraction of the overall path that the brake/hydraulic fluid flows through to compress the calipers. The lines (all 12-18 inches of them) are still generally flexible PTFE lines and the steel braiding is on the outside to keep them from being compromised by abrasion. It's more of a bling upgrade at the end of the day, but if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket.....sure looks better than plain ol' rubber lines. On a TRACK car, where I expected to stress the brakes I'd be more inclined to think it mattered. On the street? Nah.

Cheers,

Liquidice281
08-13-2008, 09:18 PM
you mean the hard lines or stainless steel braided lines that replace the rubber stock brake lines?

the video shown is the hard lines.....

did you friend mean stainless steel brake hoses? like these? ...these connect in between the hard lines and go to the calipers

I'm going with hard steel lines. I'm gonna do them because my dad has all the specialty brake line tools and I can get 10 feet of brake line for $30. And I'll have the wheels off for at least 24 hours while the calipers are painted.

For me, a $30 mod that improves brake performance (even if slightly) and keeps me busy for an afternoon. Works for me. Who knows, she might see a road course in a year or two :D

<3 Liquid

Crow
08-13-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm not getting it. Your brake lines are steel tubing. Runs down the frame to each wheel wheel. From there to the caliper is the flexible braided hoses.

You cannot replace the hoses with hard line tubing. You can replace the hoses with that fancy bling stuff if ya want. Usually only done for lift kits.

Replaceing OEM brake lines (the 1/4 inch S/S tubing) is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Liquidice281
08-13-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm not getting it. Your brake lines are steel tubing. Runs down the frame to each wheel wheel. From there to the caliper is the flexible braided hoses.

You cannot replace the hoses with hard line tubing. You can replace the hoses with that fancy bling stuff if ya want. Usually only done for lift kits.

Replaceing OEM brake lines (the 1/4 inch S/S tubing) is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Theres improvement from it - track and Nascar use solid lines - I'll post results after its done. I'm not expecting magic, but we'll see.

Even if theres no performance improvement, its more durable and looks better. And is only $30 .

<3 Liquid

Samoan Tsunami
08-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Theres improvement from it - track and Nascar use solid lines - I'll post results after its done. I'm not expecting magic, but we'll see.

Even if theres no performance improvement, its more durable and looks better. And is only $30 .

<3 Liquid

have you looked in your car yet?

in stock form we already have steel tubing for hard lines. they come right off the master cylinder and run underneath the cars....

then connect to the rubber hoses (which you can upgrade to stainless steel braided hoses)...

making hard lines that run to the caliper i dont think in any degree would be a smart idea, as where the rubber hoses are, they are made flexible cause the cars suspension still needs to move as well as make right and left turns....

but as for hard steel lines...the car already has those... the only need to replace em would be because of corrosion or damage.

seriously...go outside, pop the hood, and look behind the passenger side headlight.... you will see the hard steel brake lines our cars come with stock. they run down to the wheel wells of each corner and then connect to the rubber hoses that connect to the calipers themself.

Liquidice281
08-13-2008, 10:12 PM
making hard lines that run to the caliper i dont think in any degree would be a smart idea, as where the rubber hoses are, they are made flexible cause the cars suspension still needs to move as well as make right and left turns.

Yea, I haven't even look at them yet. I just assumed they were the high pressure rubber tubing. In fact a 350Z owner convinced me it was rubber because his were. Its cool Dodge didnt cut corners there :D

I should have known - my 1990 Caprice had all steel lines.

Pointless thread then!

<3 Liquid

Samoan Tsunami
08-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Yea, I haven't even look at them yet. I just assumed they were the high pressure rubber tubing. In fact a 350Z owner convinced me it was rubber because his were. Its cool Dodge didnt cut corners there :D

I should have known - my 1990 Caprice had all steel lines.

Pointless thread then!

<3 Liquid

most all cars these days have hard steel lines from the master cylinder/distribution block to the wheel wells these days.

but most all cars have rubber hoses that connect to the calipers after the hard lines end. those are decent to replace if you can.... for the charger, they usually run around 200$ for a kit...

but if you know the length and fittings sizes, you can get universal ones for far less:bigthumb:

Liquidice281
08-13-2008, 10:35 PM
most all cars these days have hard steel lines from the master cylinder/distribution block to the wheel wells these days.

but most all cars have rubber hoses that connect to the calipers after the hard lines end. those are decent to replace if you can.... for the charger, they usually run around 200$ for a kit...

but if you know the length and fittings sizes, you can get universal ones for far less:bigthumb:

You mean steel braided hose kits right??

<3 Liquid

Samoan Tsunami
08-13-2008, 10:41 PM
You mean steel braided hose kits right??

<3 Liquid

yes.

most people refer to em as "stainless steel brake lines" or "stainless steel brake hoses".... its basically the pic i posted earlier.

they have steel braiding around em to keep the hoses from flexing during hard extreme use, but retain flexibility so that the wheels can turn and the suspension can articulate.

Crow
08-14-2008, 09:56 AM
The brake hoses on our cars are actually steel braided lines. They just have a rubber coating on the outside of them to protect them from the elements.

The ONLY thing you gain is the "looking cool" statement.

And I call BS on the rubber/plastic brake lines in the 350Z. No way bro......

Liquidice281
08-14-2008, 10:00 AM
The brake hoses on our cars are actually steel braided lines. They just have a rubber coating on the outside of them to protect them from the elements.

The ONLY thing you gain is the "looking cool" statement.

And I call BS on the rubber/plastic brake lines in the 350Z. No way bro......

He said "You should put in hard steel lines while you have the wheels off, thats what I did to my 350Z."

I dunno - damn ricers confuse the hell out of me.

<3 Liquid

DodgeDude99
08-14-2008, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=Crow;1427384]The brake hoses on our cars are actually steel braided lines. They just have a rubber coating on the outside of them to protect them from the elements.
QUOTE]

i can tell you they are not braided lines with rubber coating on them, just regular ole plain rubber lines.

the SS brake hoses are not just for bling.

If anyone knows the fitting types and sizes, I know a company that custom makes DOT approved SS hoses in various colors and whatever length you would like. The 5 line kit for my K5 was less then $130 shipped.