question about battery disconnect [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: question about battery disconnect

crazylikeacharger
02-08-2006, 07:47 AM
i know this has been asked before but i cant seem to find it. i am planning to install my Mopar CAI and i have heard many people do a battery disconnect. if i do end up doing that what resets will i need to do? MDS and others? if so how exactly do a go about doing each. keep in mind that i cant seem to find this in a search. thanks

Fast56k
02-08-2006, 07:50 AM
I had to reset radio functions like fade, preset channels, etc. That was it.

C.

Black SRT-8

TNCHARGER
02-08-2006, 07:52 AM
I had to reset radio functions like fade, preset channels, etc. That was it.

C.

Black SRT-8

Yes.......

crazylikeacharger
02-08-2006, 07:54 AM
doesnt the srt-8 not have a mds system ?

Zandian
02-08-2006, 09:48 AM
i know this has been asked before but i cant seem to find it. i am planning to install my Mopar CAI and i have heard many people do a battery disconnect. if i do end up doing that what resets will i need to do? MDS and others? if so how exactly do a go about doing each. keep in mind that i cant seem to find this in a search. thanks

I followed some threads that said you should reset the steering wheel, throttle, and auto-up windows.

I did them but don't really know if it made any difference. I've never been able to get the auto-up working--even though my window sticker said I had it.

Z

crazylikeacharger
02-08-2006, 09:51 AM
can you post how to reset each of those

TNCHARGER
02-08-2006, 10:09 AM
doesnt the srt-8 not have a mds system ?

Nope.....and I did not reset anything other than some radio functions...no problem with the window...read your manual about a reset for the window if you are having a problem with it.

Zandian
02-08-2006, 10:16 AM
These may or may not be necessary, but I did them just in case--couldn't hurt!

BATTERY RECONNECTION
Note: This reconnection procedure is to be performed anytime the battery has been disconnected.
1. Connect the battery negative cable (2) to the battery
post and tighten the clamp nut.
2. Install the rear compartment floor trim panel.

CAUTION: Once the battery has been connected,
review and perform the following information as
applicable.

AUTO UP FRONT WINDOW
If the vehicle is equipped with the auto-up front window feature, once the battery is reconnected the door module
needs to be calibrated. The door module requires calibration anytime the battery or door module has been disconnected
for any length of time. To calibrate, perform the following:
1. Connect the battery cables.
2. Using the window switch, raise the window to the full UP position. Hold the switch in position for 1 second, then
drive the window all the way down to the bottom.

ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM (ESP)
If the vehicle is equipped with ESP, once the battery is reconnected, the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) needs to be
calibrated. The SAS requires calibration anytime the battery or an ABS (ESP) component has been disconnected for
any length of time. To calibrate, perform the following:
1. Start the engine.
2. Center the steering wheel.
3. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left until the internal stop in the steering gear is met, then turn the
wheel all the way to the right until the opposite internal stop in the steering gear is met.
4. Center the steering wheel.
5. Stop the engine.
THROTTLE RE-CALIBRATION:
Find an unused section of road with a good spot to pull-off/turn-around. (make sure it's deserted or you could end up adding a ticket to the time/gas costs of trying this trick!)
Pull off of the road and shut your car off.
Turn your key to the "On" position (but don't start the car), and wait for the 'idiot' lights to go out.
Press down on the accelerator, and let it back up.
Turn your car off.
Re-start your car and cruise up and down the road testing your throttle responsiveness.
Depending on how fast/slow you do the 4th step, your throttle will either become more or less sensitive/responsive.

Repeat steps #1 through #5 as needed until you're satisfied that your throttle response is as good as it's going to get

Z

HoosierHemi
02-08-2006, 06:12 PM
These may or may not be necessary, but I did them just in case--couldn't hurt!

BATTERY RECONNECTION
Note: This reconnection procedure is to be performed anytime the battery has been disconnected.
1. Connect the battery negative cable (2) to the battery
post and tighten the clamp nut.
2. Install the rear compartment floor trim panel.

CAUTION: Once the battery has been connected,
review and perform the following information as
applicable.

AUTO UP FRONT WINDOW
If the vehicle is equipped with the auto-up front window feature, once the battery is reconnected the door module
needs to be calibrated. The door module requires calibration anytime the battery or door module has been disconnected
for any length of time. To calibrate, perform the following:
1. Connect the battery cables.
2. Using the window switch, raise the window to the full UP position. Hold the switch in position for 1 second, then
drive the window all the way down to the bottom.

ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM (ESP)
If the vehicle is equipped with ESP, once the battery is reconnected, the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) needs to be
calibrated. The SAS requires calibration anytime the battery or an ABS (ESP) component has been disconnected for
any length of time. To calibrate, perform the following:
1. Start the engine.
2. Center the steering wheel.
3. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left until the internal stop in the steering gear is met, then turn the
wheel all the way to the right until the opposite internal stop in the steering gear is met.
4. Center the steering wheel.
5. Stop the engine.
THROTTLE RE-CALIBRATION:
Find an unused section of road with a good spot to pull-off/turn-around. (make sure it's deserted or you could end up adding a ticket to the time/gas costs of trying this trick!)
Pull off of the road and shut your car off.
Turn your key to the "On" position (but don't start the car), and wait for the 'idiot' lights to go out.
Press down on the accelerator, and let it back up.
Turn your car off.
Re-start your car and cruise up and down the road testing your throttle responsiveness.
Depending on how fast/slow you do the 4th step, your throttle will either become more or less sensitive/responsive.

Repeat steps #1 through #5 as needed until you're satisfied that your throttle response is as good as it's going to get

Z

Your throttle cal goes contrary to what I've read prviously on here. I've read that you push the pedal down slowly, hold for 15 seconds, and let up???

Zandian
02-08-2006, 07:46 PM
sounds good to me, go for it!

Z

crazylikeacharger
02-08-2006, 07:52 PM
mds never need reset if you disconnect the battery

crazylikeacharger
02-08-2006, 08:06 PM
i just read in my owners manual that the mds need to have the dealer reset it every time you disconnect the battery. anyone that has put on a CAI did your check engine light come on and if so did it go off after so many miles or did you have to have it reset

Fast56k
02-08-2006, 08:34 PM
If that was so, I would think the installation of the Wopar CAI would instruct you to do this. I also reset the windows now that I think about it.

C.

Black SRT-8

Rich L
02-08-2006, 08:38 PM
i just read in my owners manual that the mds need to have the dealer reset it every time you disconnect the battery. anyone that has put on a CAI did your check engine light come on and if so did it go off after so many miles or did you have to have it reset

Before installing my kn cai, I asked some of our well seasoned members. They said charger burns to rich stock. So no need to reset. I didn't reset no lights, no problems. Hal will eventually figure it out.

crazylikeacharger
02-08-2006, 09:01 PM
it says to disconnect the battery but i dont think i will unless i have some problems. worst comes to worst i can have my brother reset it at work for free with the computer

Shhnappa
02-08-2006, 09:37 PM
I installed my CAI a month ago, I didn't disconnect the battery, took all of 10 minutes to install, and have had zero problems. I'm surprised DCX doesn't tell you to disconnect the battery before filling up your fuel tank. They seem to have that "Disconnect & Isolate" preface before everything. Don't worry about it, you'll be fine.

charger Bill
02-08-2006, 09:43 PM
When K&N installed there cai on my SXT last July they did not disconnect the battery and I had no problems afterwards. I have disconnected the battery 3 times on my own and have not had to recalibrate the auto window feature on any of these occasions.

crazylikeacharger
02-09-2006, 04:51 AM
owners manual says to have dealer reset the mds every time you disconnect the battery