JBA Mufflers Back In [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: JBA Mufflers Back In

marshall9779
06-03-2008, 12:44 PM
I finally got around to putting the JBA mufflers back on my car. I had originally swapped them out for Magnaflows because the exhaust shop said they would calm down the drone. I didn't know at the time that it was from the MDS and I ended up still being able to hear it with the Magnaflows anyway. I finally just got tired of how mellow sounding the Magnaflows were. I went to a Meineke down the street from work and dropped the car and mufflers off for them to work on. The only problem was the shop that swapped the mufflers origianlly cut the stubs off the JBA mufflers and Meineke said that if would cost me $260 to repair and replace the stubs and swap the mufflers. I called back and asked if they could do it for $200 and ended up agreeing on $220. I know it was a rip off, but I hate that the original shop did that to me. If you ever get mufflers replace and are not scrapping them, make sure they don't cut the stubs off the mufflers. I am just glad to have that Muscle car sound back again. It's been too long.

JJ1o87
06-03-2008, 12:58 PM
So you had the JBA Catback and removed the mufflers with magnaflows?

marshall9779
06-03-2008, 01:11 PM
So you had the JBA Catback and removed the mufflers with magnaflows?

Yeah, I replace the JBA mufflers with Magnaflows and just swapped back.

JJ1o87
06-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Nice, what did the mds sound like with the jba catback when it kicked on? I'll be ordering it soon so im curious as to what im in for.

marshall9779
06-03-2008, 01:46 PM
It's a deep gurguling sound. It even creates a vibration that you can feel in the brake pedal. I have gotten used to it and actually dislike the surging from the Predator when MDS kicks out more than I hate the noise. You get used to it, but other than that the JBA sounds sick IMO. It's a true Muscle car sound but without the raspiness that Flowmasters have.

JJ1o87
06-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Do you perchance have any sound clips of your jba catback?

marshall9779
06-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Do you perchance have any sound clips of your jba catback?

All I have to record clips is my MP3 player. I have clips of my exhaust with the Magnaflows, but it's not a supported file type. PM me your email, and I'll try and send it to you. I will also take a clip now that I have the JBA's back in so you can compare.

JJ1o87
06-03-2008, 01:59 PM
PM sent. Thanks alot dude.

nickinfleet
06-03-2008, 02:09 PM
I finally got around to putting the JBA mufflers back on my car. I had originally swapped them out for Magnaflows because the exhaust shop said they would calm down the drone. I didn't know at the time that it was from the MDS and I ended up still being able to hear it with the Magnaflows anyway. I finally just got tired of how mellow sounding the Magnaflows were. I went to a Meineke down the street from work and dropped the car and mufflers off for them to work on. The only problem was the shop that swapped the mufflers origianlly cut the stubs off the JBA mufflers and Meineke said that if would cost me $260 to repair and replace the stubs and swap the mufflers. I called back and asked if they could do it for $200 and ended up agreeing on $220. I know it was a rip off, but I hate that the original shop did that to me. If you ever get mufflers replace and are not scrapping them, make sure they don't cut the stubs off the mufflers. I am just glad to have that Muscle car sound back again. It's been too long.

WOW -

That is a rip-off! I would think they could just weld some stubs back on and use a pipe expander to expand the ends back out. Literally would take 20 minutes for something like that.

Performance guys doing exhaust work are not doctors and should not charge like one. ;/

Now doing something more advanced - Sure I will pay but cmon, cutting and welding is not rocket science (unless you are build a race cage ;))

nickinfleet
06-03-2008, 02:10 PM
As far as the drone goes -

I have been reading that a diablo predator will turn the MDS off.

marshall9779
06-03-2008, 02:16 PM
As far as the drone goes -

I have been reading that a diablo predator will turn the MDS off.

I know it will, but I am not willing to sacrifice the gas mileage right now. I commute about 250 miles a week. I autosticked it for at leat 6 months after I installed my catback, but I only lived a mile from work back then.

marshall9779
06-03-2008, 02:19 PM
WOW -

That is a rip-off! I would think they could just weld some stubs back on and use a pipe expander to expand the ends back out. Literally would take 20 minutes for something like that.

Performance guys doing exhaust work are not doctors and should not charge like one. ;/

Now doing something more advanced - Sure I will pay but cmon, cutting and welding is not rocket science (unless you are build a race cage ;))

They said they couldn't just butt weld it to what was left. I'm not exactly sure of what all they had to do but at this point I'm just happy to have that sound back. I wish I had never swapped in the first place. I have spent over $900 for my exhaust when I bought the system originally for $479 or something. Good thing I installed it myself to start with.

nickinfleet
06-03-2008, 02:20 PM
I know it will, but I am not willing to sacrifice the gas mileage right now. I commute about 250 miles a week. I autosticked it for at leat 6 months after I installed my catback, but I only lived a mile from work back then.

really you lose gas mileage with the predator? i installed my tune about 2 weeks after i got the srt8 so i have not noticed any lose in gas mileage but i did notice that when i search through the advanced evic that my "FUEL MISER" (whatever that is) is turned off. haha. sounds like some gas conserving option.

still get 19mpg on the highway in the srt. when customers come in and mention how bad their gas mileage is in their srt i show them mine and sometimes they are shocked heh. 15.6 on regular streets which is not to hot.

Orange Crush 375
06-03-2008, 07:12 PM
I finally deleted had MDS deleted when I had my CMR tune done. My gas mileage stayed exactly the same but the car is an animal now. Best of all, no more annoying MDS drone or surge! WOO HOO!

marshall9779
06-04-2008, 07:06 AM
really you lose gas mileage with the predator? i installed my tune about 2 weeks after i got the srt8 so i have not noticed any lose in gas mileage but i did notice that when i search through the advanced evic that my "FUEL MISER" (whatever that is) is turned off. haha. sounds like some gas conserving option.

still get 19mpg on the highway in the srt. when customers come in and mention how bad their gas mileage is in their srt i show them mine and sometimes they are shocked heh. 15.6 on regular streets which is not to hot.

I have an R/T so if I disable MDS then I will lose gas mileage. You have an SRT and you don't have MDS

marshall9779
06-04-2008, 07:13 AM
I finally deleted had MDS deleted when I had my CMR tune done. My gas mileage stayed exactly the same but the car is an animal now. Best of all, no more annoying MDS drone or surge! WOO HOO!

I hear it's only about a 10% difference depending on your driving and how much time you spend at cruising speeds. There is probably only a 30-40 mile/tank difference. For me I fill up once a week with my work commute. At 18mpg that means I would save about $350/yr leaving MDS on assuming a 30mile/tank difference.

marshall9779
06-05-2008, 06:10 AM
Well, I thought everything was good after taking it back to the shop because the exhaust was banging on the cross brace. I heard some banging again and thought that they didn't fix it. Then after hearing it some more it became apparent that it was something different. It sounded hollow like something banging around in the muffler or something. I think in the process of building the new stubs on the mufflers they broke something inside one of the mufflers. It's either that or they have the mufflers too far back and when the exhaust expands they are hitting the rear joint of the drive shaft just in front of the diff. I tried looking under real quick this morning and couldn't see any indication of the latter. I didn't hear it at all on the drive to work this morning, but I still need to have them look at it. This will be the third time back in as many days. All just to swap the mufflers out.

marshall9779
06-05-2008, 11:49 AM
It has been confirmed. The bolts on the rear drive shaft joint were scraping the top inside corner of the passenger side muffler. The muffler at rest was sitting about 1/4" low and 1/4' in front of the drive shaft joint. He siad there is no way the exhaust moved that far to hit it. Well there is a flat spot of the corner of the muffler plain as day that says it did. I know he is getting frustrated working on my exhaust for 3 days in a row, and only getting paid for one, which was too much to begin with. If these guys pay atenttion to all the details like clearances around what they have been working on, then it wouldn't be aproblem. They are just going to move the passenger side muffler forward a hair. That better be the be all, end all.