Can you refuse to stop for an unmarked police car until you see a patrol car in FL? [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Can you refuse to stop for an unmarked police car until you see a patrol car in FL?

MuscleMan305
05-09-2008, 06:39 PM
If an unmarked police car pulls u over in Florida, are u forced to stop and will u get charged for evading arrest if u continue driving until u encounter an officially marked patrol car?? Does anyone have a link to the official law stating this?? Ive been seeing a all kinds of unmarked cars latley, so far a black dodge charger just like mine, a red ford focus, blue mustang gt and a durango to name a few. Iv also been pulled over by kids impersinating a cop couple of months ago, luckily they drove off soon as i stopped, but u never know nowadays, next time they can attempt to rob me.

NightMare R/T
05-09-2008, 06:44 PM
you can keep driving and call 911 to comfirm ira a REAL cop b4 you pull over if you feel unsafe to pull over for an unmarker car. You them must be prepaired to deal with a less than friendly cop for making him follow you tho.

atleast that is the way it is in california I believe and we have sun tarded laws

Daytona Crazy
05-09-2008, 07:15 PM
You could always pull into a busy gas station, or busy parking lot. If it is not a cop they will be less tempted to try something with alot of people around.

Crazy Charger SRT-8
05-09-2008, 09:06 PM
I don't think any judge in their right mind would look down upon you for checking if the undercover car pulling you over is in fact a cop car. The officer driving this unmarked car would have to think that it is a matter of public safety and you are keeping yourself safe so the traffic stop shouldn't get any worse for you for checking. There are too many fools out there impersonating cops nowadays. I was pulled about 6 months ago I went the speed limit and let the cop know I had no ill intentions until i got to a well lit parking lot with people. He let me off with a warning. So as long as you are being safe I cant see the cop or law going against you for doing that.

landshark
05-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Q & A! Yes, you have to pull over but you can keep your window up if not dark tinted for our safety. We don't know what you may be doing in the car. You can call 911 but the call is routed to a central dispatch and may take several minutes before they find the dept. making the stop. You may get a Flee to elude charge which is a felony all because you were scared.

Slow4Dr
05-10-2008, 01:03 AM
Look for a well lit and public area. Do not however continue for a long period of time. If you do this I hope you enjoy multiple guns being pointed at you once you decide to stop. Throw in a nice barking dog and you'll have an all around great time.

08Black3.5SE+
05-10-2008, 01:10 AM
ive always been told to hit my hazards and dont speed up... but on the other hand...the one time i didnt stop for a cop, i was thrown from the car, had my chin busted open, a gun shoved in the back of my head, and cuffs slapped on....ill take my chances with an imposter (that was 2 marked cars, and i was clocked at 97 in a 30...it was 2 am and we were being idiots, the 5.0 i was racing got away...i wasnt in my charger either...i was in my little POS grand am gt w/ the 3100)

CHARGERTREV
05-10-2008, 01:11 AM
I did this 1 time, A black tahoe with lights got behind me...had rims, tint(seized drug dealers car)...and I was in a BADDD part of town. So I just kept going and sure enough 3-4 minutes later a marked car was there and I pulled right over. They said AS long as you maintain your speed and follow all laws then you DONT have to stop for a un-marked/under cover car.

landshark
05-11-2008, 01:32 AM
They said AS long as you maintain your speed and follow all laws then you DONT have to stop for a un-marked/under cover car.

Your lucky! I would not say DON'T have to stop....this is at the discression of the primary officer. Not stopping is in my book a FLEEING TO ELUDE no matter if you go 5mph or 100mph. Sorry for how this is put.....If your not an officer and don't live in Florida you do not know the LAW'S in this STATE! Do as you need to but be ready for what may come your way being LEGAL or $$$ but either way your not going to be happy!

SteelCitySRT8
05-11-2008, 02:01 AM
Just out run him, if you get caught use it as an excuse. :lol:

But seriously until someone can provide a link that states you don't have to pull over or you get some kind of official confirmation you are just going to have to use your own discretion. If it's in the middle of day in a populated place sure, 2 A.M. in a bad part of town who knows. One thing I have noticed is that here in Pennsylvania modern unmarked police cars seem to have more lights than the marked cars. They usually light up like a Christmas tree with strobe lights in the grilles, dash, tails, visors, parking lights, etc. This is no guarantee but...

SteelCitySRT8
05-11-2008, 02:07 AM
Here is a link I found also.
http://www.flhsmv.gov/fhp/misc/News/Related/2007/FHPnews071907b2.htm

MR C
05-11-2008, 02:57 AM
If your in central FL watch for the un marked ford pickups, indeltona they have a couple impalas, 5 or 6 mustangs in seminole, they normaly come out eraly in the month or about 15-17 of each month between exit for state road 44 and lake mary blv. lately the motor cycles have been used more often. so they are about past due for major speed trap. I think they are holding out for memorial day lol :) cruise control is your friend.

PAC3SRT8
05-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Q & A! Yes, you have to pull over but you can keep your window up if not dark tinted for our safety. We don't know what you may be doing in the car. You can call 911 but the call is routed to a central dispatch and may take several minutes before they find the dept. making the stop. You may get a Flee to elude charge which is a felony all because you were scared.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess you're a LEO..
Can you help with my next ticket??? :whistle:

landshark
05-11-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess you're a LEO..
Can you help with my next ticket??? :whistle:

I like to call it LEO-friendly!:ninja:

Those mustangs in orlando are NASTY! They come outta no where and one is all white w/ blue racing stripe's with a stage 3 rouch pkg. We would have chargers but the way the car are driven to much curb jumping cars wouldn't hold up.

LuvnRadr
05-11-2008, 02:37 PM
316.1935 Fleeing or attempting to elude a law enforcement officer; aggravated fleeing or eluding.--

(2) Any person who willfully flees or attempts to elude a law enforcement officer in an authorized law enforcement patrol vehicle, with agency insignia and other jurisdictional markings prominently displayed on the vehicle, with siren and lights activated commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

In other words, you cannot be charged with fleeing when the vehicle is not fully marked. That being said, it doesn't mean that you will be in for a good time. The unmarked vehicle's officer might be upset and give you a rough time anyway. In our agency, we will immediately dispatch a marked unit when an unmarked unit needs to take a traffic stop. Within moments, you will have a marked unit up your rear. Once you see that, you'd better stop.

P.S. If the officer arrests you for fleeing anyway, you can definitely beat it in court. Not that you'd want to go that route...

wickedchargerrt
05-11-2008, 02:59 PM
My friends (ks cops) :

The only legal thing to do is signal to the officer that you see him and continue to the nearest cityhall/police station while driving slowly and following the rules of the road. If a marked unit shows up stop immediately.

this is ks though

MuscleMan305
05-12-2008, 12:32 AM
My friends (ks cops) :

The only legal thing to do is signal to the officer that you see him and continue to the nearest cityhall/police station while driving slowly and following the rules of the road. If a marked unit shows up stop immediately.

this is ks though

That sounds like the most common sense thing to do, I couldnt imagine being charged for doing this if it was in a secluded area like a residential back street. i just hope Im never put in this predicament, by some of the responses it kinda seems like a lose lose situation.

thumper07
05-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Not stopping is in my book a FLEEING TO ELUDE

I'm curious as to what you are "eluding". Would I be eluding a car that doesn't tell me they are a police car?

If a regular guy walking down the street yells "Stop", am I obligated to do so?

Should that guy identify himself? "Stop! This is the police".

I believe so.

A cop can charge you with anything he/she wants to but that doesn't mean that they have sufficient evidence to sustain conviction.

I'd say 1 in 50 automobiles have blue lights in their vehicle. Just because the vehicle has blue lights on it does not identify it as a police officer.

It depends on your threshold for grief. If you want to go through all the BS associated with going to court for the Flee and Allude, then do it.

Personally, I'd rather just take the ticket :)

landshark
05-24-2008, 11:48 PM
thumper07...think your looking too deep into it! And in Fla a visable blue light on an auto will get you a stopped and check on why!

CHARGERTREV
05-25-2008, 12:40 AM
thumper07...think your looking too deep into it! And in Fla a visable blue light on an auto will get you a stopped and check on why!

I heard htat will get you....lik...shot in FL...lol

thumper07
05-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Almost all of my friends have blue lights under the gas tanks of their cruiser motorcycles. Even I did on my last Yamaha. Sure, a few times cops mentioned it, but I never got a ticket for it. Also, I see kids driving around all the time with blue lights on their windshield washer hood sprays. Nobody ever gets pulled over for those either, not that I know of.

That's why I said that I would just take the ticket :)

If an undercover cop comes into your house, in Florida, and he doesn't announce that he's a cop and he pulls a gun, you are allowed to shoot him and get away with it.

How do you know he's a cop if he doesn't say he is?

higg13001
05-25-2008, 10:04 AM
OMG- Just pull over and stop. The chances of being pulled over by someone impersonating an officer are astronomical. If you want to guarantee yourself a ticket (or worse), then fail to yield to emergency red/blue lights and siren. Anyone giving you advise to NOT stop, will not be with you in court or pay your legal fees when you are before the judge trying get him to believe your excuses. If you do stop, and something else actually raises your suspicion, then you would have something to base your actions on. Simply saying you did not stop because you thought the guy pulling you over (who you haven't even spoken to yet), was impersonating an officer is a legal gamble you may not want to take.

Crazy Charger SRT-8
05-25-2008, 09:18 PM
316.1935 Fleeing or attempting to elude a law enforcement officer; aggravated fleeing or eluding.--

(2) Any person who willfully flees or attempts to elude a law enforcement officer in an authorized law enforcement patrol vehicle, with agency insignia and other jurisdictional markings prominently displayed on the vehicle, with siren and lights activated commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

In other words, you cannot be charged with fleeing when the vehicle is not fully marked. That being said, it doesn't mean that you will be in for a good time. The unmarked vehicle's officer might be upset and give you a rough time anyway. In our agency, we will immediately dispatch a marked unit when an unmarked unit needs to take a traffic stop. Within moments, you will have a marked unit up your rear. Once you see that, you'd better stop.

P.S. If the officer arrests you for fleeing anyway, you can definitely beat it in court. Not that you'd want to go that route...

Thank you! Glad someone finally put out there the real law. If I have an unmarked on my butt trying to pull me in the middle of the night I AM going to take the time to check and make sure he is the real deal. I would like to see a judge say I was wrong for doing this. I wont run, I wont give a hard time, I just ask for the same respect in return. exp. this day and age when people are impersonating cops to rob people. I think its a small price to pay to have a pissed off cop on your butt than to be robed in the middle of the night from a cop impersonator. But, I can not imagine a cop arresting you for failure to stop, running, or whatever it may be. AS long as you maintain a safe speed until you have confirmation (be it a marked car showing up or a dispatcher confirming the unmarked is real) and then kindly pulling over and following the officers request.

thumper07
05-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Well he said the exact same thing that I already did. But he did quote specific articles though.

Even still, this is a 'common sense' scenario.

Just because a person in plain clothes tells you to stop and never says the words "Police", why should you stop? You can flip them off and keep walking. Where does it say that a person must "assume" that anyone telling you to stop is automatically a police officer?

That is quite silly. If that were a law, think about all the car-jacking thieves that would have a blast with that!!!!!

dassem
06-05-2008, 08:52 PM
OMG- Just pull over and stop. The chances of being pulled over by someone impersonating an officer are astronomical.

I assume you have the statistics to back this statement up, or are you just pulling it from an orifice?

I know of several girls who have been driving alone at night when flashing blue lights appear in a car behind them, which turned out to be drunken red-necks planning a sexual assualt... While my friends have been lucky and got away, you can google other cases mentioned in the news.

I do not believe that unmarked vehicles should be used for routine traffic stops anyway... A marked patrol car would be far more successful for traffic calming purposes, unless you believe that the point of traffic stops is penalization and revenue generation?

thumper07
06-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I seriously doubt that there are any statistics to support his claim.

I remember some time ago that this was a craze for a short period. People impersonating officers to rob/mug you. I don't hear it anymore. But it's been replaced by people crashing into you and when you get out and approach their vehicle, they rob/mug and steel your car.

This has been the latest craze here.

SoIceyChargerBoy
06-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Just out run him, if you get caught use it as an excuse. :lol:

But seriously until someone can provide a link that states you don't have to pull over or you get some kind of official confirmation you are just going to have to use your own discretion. If it's in the middle of day in a populated place sure, 2 A.M. in a bad part of town who knows. One thing I have noticed is that here in Pennsylvania modern unmarked police cars seem to have more lights than the marked cars. They usually light up like a Christmas tree with strobe lights in the grilles, dash, tails, visors, parking lights, etc. This is no guarantee but...

This is how it is down here. But the undercovers down here are mostly NARCs. So they don't make many traffic stops, but when they do u better b ready. They jumped out on me and my boy about two months ago.it was a true case of profiling. Two in the mornin in a charger on twenty twos equals dope boy in their minds. Searched us and da car and sent us on our way since they didn't find anything. then it turned out that this was da same unit that arrested me last year in a road block. They remembered me (car looks very different now, was bone stock then), I think dats y they were so eager to search.

MuscleMan305
06-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I seriously doubt that there are any statistics to support his claim.

I remember some time ago that this was a craze for a short period. People impersonating officers to rob/mug you. I don't hear it anymore. But it's been replaced by people crashing into you and when you get out and approach their vehicle, they rob/mug and steel your car.

This has been the latest craze here.

That has been going on since as far as i can remeber. It was big in the 80's but seems to be making a comeback. In the mid 90's it made a big splash in the headlines, some german tourist got robd and killed this way.

thumper07
06-11-2008, 01:12 PM
The dead German tourist saga was so huge down here that there even rose a band called "The Dead German Tourists" that became very popular until Dade County made new color coded maps for tourists that told them were to and were NOT to drive.

ke3ju
05-20-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't give a crap what state I am in...I will never pull over for an unmarked car!!!

Unmarked police cars should be illegal!!!

I'll take my chances in court...

hemikiller
05-22-2010, 09:18 AM
My Dad was a Cop. Most of my professors in college are/were cops. I have always been told slow down to the appropriate speed limit, acknowledge their presence I.E turn on your hazards, find the closet busy public area (well lit at night) and pull over. Put your hands on the steering wheel in sight of the officer. DO NOT go fumbling through your glove box looking for your registration. Do not make any statements/excuses that may be used against you in court. Take the ticket fight it in court. You will get your balls busted for not pulling over right away. Most cops in a unmarked car understand why a person would take precautions and won't give a you a huge hassle.
BE A SENSIBLE DRIVER AND YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT.

trnurz1
05-25-2010, 10:19 AM
My Dad was a Cop. Most of my professors in college are/were cops. I have always been told slow down to the appropriate speed limit, acknowledge their presence I.E turn on your hazards, find the closet busy public area (well lit at night) and pull over. Put your hands on the steering wheel in sight of the officer. DO NOT go fumbling through your glove box looking for your registration. Do not make any statements/excuses that may be used against you in court. Take the ticket fight it in court. You will get your balls busted for not pulling over right away. Most cops in a unmarked car understand why a person would take precautions and won't give a you a huge hassle.
BE A SENSIBLE DRIVER AND YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT.
SENSIBLE!! Have you looked at the cars and talked to the people on here! Yeah right! Excluding me of course!!! :banana::banana:

jimmirehman
05-26-2010, 12:03 PM
SENSIBLE!! Have you looked at the cars and talked to the people on here! Yeah right! Excluding me of course!!! :banana::banana:

LOL.

brother in law is a sheriff and he told me the same thing about hazards, slowing down and going to well lit area

fflores561
06-30-2010, 02:29 AM
Well Im from Belle Glade,FL Bout 30 min away from west palm beach..i was an explorer with the local sheriff's office and this subject came up once..All the D/S & 1 Sgt. said they wouldnt hit you with a charge if your driving under the speed limit andnot trying to speed away but they have to be in a their unmarked (Explorer,F-150 4 door,F-250 Lifted with mudding tires,Mustang,Charger,Impala,mini vans,Tahoe ect.)-they have some nice undercovers.The Sgt said best thing to do is drive below the speed limit,turn your hazzards on and call dispatch ask if the car thats trying to pull you over is in fact a leo if so they will tell you and also let the deputy know that you called. Or you can always drive up to a area thats populated and has alot of light (if it night time) deputies well appreciate that because it makes it better for them also!