Roofing Tar on my car...WTF!!! [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Roofing Tar on my car...WTF!!!

Black ChargeR/T
04-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Wow guys, i was parked at work today (in an alley between two buildings) and the building next door to my bank was re-doing their roof. Well long story short my car got covered with that nasty black roofing tar/oil used...and i cant get it off. I noticed it when i left work so immediately went to a manual carwash to see if the high pressured water can spray it off..but no luck!!!

any suggestions? what might take it off without hurting the paint? should i make the roofing company pay for it?

I was pissed!!!!!:confused:

BSHAW27
04-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Go first thing tomorrow and complain to the owners of the building and then to the roofing company as well. The roofing company is at fault but you might be able to get the company that owns the building to pay for it. I think their insurance might cover it. You really should have went over there as soon as you saw it.

Sorry to hear about that and I hope you get it worked out. Let us know what happens.

ChargerSTL
04-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Im not too sure on how to get that off without damaging the paint. I would go right to the roofing company and complain. Also Take pics right away and make sure the pics are timestamped and get one with your plates also so they know its your car.

Soory this happned to you.

Black ChargeR/T
04-14-2008, 08:50 PM
You really should have went over there as soon as you saw it..\
I would have but unfortunately the businesses next door were closed by the time i left work. I talked to my buddy who parked in front of me (hes got a BMW 540) and hes got it all over too. What a great way to end a Monday huh!!??!

DynoXG
04-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Try using the clay bar on a section that you wont see too much, it's pretty much your only hope.

Part Deux
04-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Take it to a body shop. I'd suspect some good solvent will take that right off.

Morpholine
04-15-2008, 07:49 AM
I work for an asphalt paving company, so I have a bit of experience with thick asphalts/tars on cars.

WD-40 should dissolve the tar, as long as its relatively fresh, but I'm not sure what it would do to your clear coat (we're not that concerned with the clear coat on out work trucks).

Citrus oil based degreasers work good as well. We have one called Bio-T (I think) we use that will strip the asphalt right off the rocks. It might be hard to find, also look for a product called Citrus Klaw. Plus it smells nice and orangey. It shouldn't harm clear coat at all.

Kidd_Funkadelic
04-15-2008, 08:24 AM
I've had a few small tar spots on my front end that wiped right off with some Goo Gone.

If your roof isn't too covered, it might take less time and energy to just try that yourself rather than fighting the roofing company...

RitzRT
04-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Don't put WD-40 on your paint. Try mineral spirits. If that isn't "strong" enough get a can of naptha at Home Depot and try that. Wash and wax the car immediately after you're done.

Edit: I just remembered that Stoner also makes two products XENIT and Tarminator that will remove tar. They are safe for auto paint.

Good luck!

Cheers,

sco_pet
04-15-2008, 10:54 AM
TRY CLAY BAr then have the roofing company fix it.

wickedchargerrt
04-15-2008, 12:02 PM
i would recommend 100% mineral spirits. I've used to it to remove paint from oversprayed roll cages and everything. Its great and has never caused me any issues to the stock paint. Do it quick though

Here'sJohnny
04-15-2008, 04:52 PM
i would use clay bar last... it is basically a wet sanding tool that will spread it and slowly wear it away... it will make a mess. use goo-gone or a citrus degreaser then wash and if necessary clay bar any remaining tiny spots then wax. They should still pay you for your time if you don't have all of this done professionally. You're talking a good pissed off day....

G-M-G R/T
04-15-2008, 05:48 PM
i would recommend 100% mineral spirits. I've used to it to remove paint from oversprayed roll cages and everything. Its great and has never caused me any issues to the stock paint. Do it quick though

Exactly!! another solvent would be K 1 kerosene = applied with lots of soft DIAPER cloths!!! do not use a terry cloth towel as terry cloth will act as an abrasive when the tar gets stuck to it. Then wash the car with a rich mixture of dawn detergent to remove the residue. clay bar,then wax

Black ChargeR/T
04-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Well I am at work and just had a detailer come out to clean my car up and remove all of the tar spots. (of course the roofing company paid the bill) The car actually looks great, i went out just after they finished and noticed a few small spots, but they took care of it right away, and then waxed the entire car. Looks great.

There were however about 3-5 tiny spots (that only a Charger owner would notice) that i want to take off myself. I have read the replys to my original post and think i might go with either the 100% mineral spirits, or the Stoner Tarminator. That stuff looks like i should have a can of it handy anyways!

Thanks for all the help guys/gals!:grin: :grin: :grin:

DynoXG
04-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Glad to know they took care of it. :)

DodgeDude99
04-17-2008, 10:09 PM
i would defintely not use Naptha. that is a solvent that is part of various paint thinners.

any citrus based cleaners work great, mineral spirits, Pre-cleano (autobody wax & grease remover) or kerosene. Those were what was used in my Uncle's Autobody Shop.

the Gunk citrus based foaming engine cleaner works great. spray it on, let it sit and wash/wipe it off.