Moth Balls !!!! - how LONG it takes to get the stench of them out of the interior? [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Moth Balls !!!! - how LONG it takes to get the stench of them out of the interior?

SRT8_in_CT
04-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Anyone have any insight on how LONG it takes to get the stench of mothballs out of the interior??? I guess I over-did it by placing a hand full on the floor... I thought it was dissipating, but stopped at a friends this afternoon and he said "Dude, you smell like serious moth balls!!" ...

Any way to get rid of the smell quicker ???

Thanks

Kenny

PlumCrazyDaytona
04-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Open the windows and wait....Next time use Bounce dryer sheets they are just as effective without the stench

Part Deux
04-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Anyone have any insight on how LONG it takes to get the stench of mothballs out of the interior??? I guess I over-did it by placing a hand full on the floor... I thought it was dissipating, but stopped at a friends this afternoon and he said "Dude, you smell like serious moth balls!!" ...

Thanks

Kenny

Inquiring minds want to know, WHY?

Phanta5m
04-06-2008, 05:27 PM

Thanks

Kenny

leave the windows open and drive it for a while... or some air freshener... febreeze

08Black3.5SE+
04-06-2008, 05:31 PM

i believe moth balls are supposed to keep moths and mice from coming into your car while its being stored....we put a bunch in our shed to keep the mice out, its about 8 ft from a field....

Phanta5m
04-06-2008, 05:33 PM
i believe moth balls are supposed to keep moths and mice from coming into your car while its being stored....we put a bunch in our shed to keep the mice out, its about 8 ft from a field....

that and dryer sheets will do the job

Part Deux
04-06-2008, 05:50 PM

Makes sense, I had a friend that swore by it with his airplane.

We used one of the mints (peppermint?) around the house, and it worked as long as we kept it up. Let our guard down and several weeks ago, I was catching them as fast as I could put traps down... Caught about 9 before it let up. They love the dogs food :(

Phanta5m
04-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Makes sense, I had a friend that swore by it with his airplane.

We used one of the mints (peppermint?) around the house, and it worked as long as we kept it up. Let our guard down and several weeks ago, I was catching them as fast as I could put traps down... Caught about 9 before it let up. They love the dogs food :(

they do love dog food...

ChargeRonDavinS
04-06-2008, 05:54 PM

Thanks

Kenny

I can't say that I have ever placed moth balls in my interior. Not sure how to get rid of it, instinct says clean carpet, drive with windows down REALLY fast, air freshener, and those dryer sheets that smell good. (EDIT) I guess im not the only one to say that

ChargeRonDavinS
04-06-2008, 05:55 PM
they do love dog food...

me too...

Phanta5m
04-06-2008, 05:58 PM
me too...

ur close to 4000 you po ho:grin:

Part Deux
04-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Soak cottonballs in WinterGreen Oil. Rodents hate the smell, and it's a lot better then mothballs

Phanta5m
04-06-2008, 05:59 PM
me too...

i've heard that:lol:

ChargeRonDavinS
04-06-2008, 06:01 PM
ur close to 4000 you po ho:grin:

I hate you, I hate the whole pohoing thing, although I'm sure I do it. But mods feel free to bring me back to 0 posts, I don't do it for the numbers I'm just stupid and obnoxious! :grin:

Phanta5m
04-06-2008, 06:05 PM
I hate you, I hate the whole pohoing thing, although I'm sure I do it. But mods feel free to bring me back to 0 posts, I don't do it for the numbers I'm just stupid and obnoxious! :grin:

your just addicted to charger forums :lol: sounds better

ChargeRonDavinS
04-06-2008, 06:07 PM
your just addicted to charger forums :lol: sounds better

lol :grin:

Phanta5m
04-06-2008, 06:09 PM
lol :grin:

see ya... :lol:

Pointeo13
04-06-2008, 06:15 PM
OHHH NOOO!!!! You never put mothball's into your car, my father did this to his old Dodge Avenger that I am driving over the winter, so its horriable. But if you buy this, this will help take care of it:

http://www.imtek.biz/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=N&Product_Code=20901

If this product wasnt out, you would be screwed because it stay's in everything and its very toxic. You will be smelling like it for a long time lol.

SRT8_in_CT
04-06-2008, 06:17 PM

Why the mothballs, or why do I wanna get rid of the stench ??:grin:

I put them in tin foil pie plates, hoping to just keep the critters away, cause I've been a victim of LOTS of chewing by those freakin' mice.... It just seems to have soaked into everything, kinda like cigarette smoke...

I guess it will go away.. I'll just leave the windows down every nice day we have...

Thanks guys ... next year it'll just be Bounce dryer sheets...

Kenny

TopBanana107
04-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Open the windows and wait....Next time use Bounce dryer sheets they are just as effective without the stench

Why the mothballs, or why do I wanna get rid of the stench ??:grin:

I put them in tin foil pie plates, hoping to just keep the critters away, cause I've been a victim of LOTS of chewing by those freakin' mice.... It just seems to have soaked into everything, kinda like cigarette smoke...

I guess it will go away.. I'll just leave the windows down every nice day we have...

Thanks guys ... next year it'll just be Bounce dryer sheets...

Kenny

Yup...bounce dryer sheets! I did that this year after hearing it on the forum, and no problems, and my car smelled good when I went to pick it up!

Have you tried febreze yet?

ChargeRonDavinS
04-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Yeah I thought moth balls were poisonous but what do I know, I have lambo doors and floaters.

TopBanana107
04-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Yeah I thought moth balls were poisonous but what do I know, I have lambo doors and floaters.

Yeah, seriously, what DO YOU know?!?:grin:

I watched your you tube video of your floaters...pretty neat...not for me, but pretty neat!

ChargeRonDavinS
04-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah, seriously, what DO YOU know?!?:grin:

I watched your you tube video of your floaters...pretty neat...not for me, but pretty neat!

thanks, yeah they aren't for everybody, I like to be different and waste my money :grin:

Pointeo13
04-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Yeah they are very toxic, this is why you will want to get that item I posted up above it will take care of the smell at the same time, it doesnít cover it up but soaks it up since mothballs are a gas and a very powerful gas. Once the car warms up the gas explands and will get into your clothing and the carís interior and stick to it. So it sucks big time.

SRT8_in_CT
04-07-2008, 04:13 PM
OHHH NOOO!!!! You never put mothball's into your car, my father did this to his old Dodge Avenger that I am driving over the winter, so its horriable. But if you buy this, this will help take care of it:

http://www.imtek.biz/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=N&Product_Code=20901

If this product wasnt out, you would be screwed because it stay's in everything and its very toxic. You will be smelling like it for a long time lol.

Thanks for the link ... Someone yesterday told me to put a few trays of charcoal inside and leave the windows up, and it might absorb the odor...It's definitely less tonight ... If it's not any better tomorrow I'm going to order a packet of this stuff...

Thanks again,

Kenny

sotso
04-07-2008, 04:16 PM
get your car ozinated, that will take out any smells you have, it is over 100 bucks but will take out smoke smell, animal smells and chemical smell, but sorry the dead hooker in the trunk smell seems to stay.

Pointeo13
04-07-2008, 05:40 PM
get your car ozinated, that will take out any smells you have, it is over 100 bucks but will take out smoke smell, animal smells and chemical smell, but sorry the dead hooker in the trunk smell seems to stay.

lol, well the stuff that I bought that I linked a few posts up, that actually removes the smell of dead bodie(s).