All the SLP 1 owners!! - do you get sick of the noise inside your car [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: All the SLP 1 owners!! - do you get sick of the noise inside your car

fizzo112
03-06-2008, 07:54 PM
I pretty much set on getting the SLP 1 over the SLP 2 But I am curious if you get sick of the noise inside your car after a while of having them. I drive mine 6 months on 6 months off b/c i live in Michigan....will i get sick of them driving 6 months straight with them!? Have you gotten sick of them? And another thing is i talked to a guy over here to get them put on and he says there sooo loud you cant even hear your stero! Is that true? I know hes prob full of it but I would like to hear it from you guys. Please give me all your feedback on yours b/c I have been stuck between the two from this.

Bighemi06
03-06-2008, 08:01 PM
First off yes you can hear your stereo, you might have to turn it up a little more that usual! I have had mine on for about 8 months, 20K miles later and absolutely love them, hoping the high flow cats and headers will make them even a little bit more aggressive!!

fizzo112
03-06-2008, 08:19 PM
where you live? have you had any problems with cops with them?

Bighemi06
03-06-2008, 08:24 PM
I live in South Florida, no prob with the cops, but they will draw attention.... Did have a state trooper pull me over for my tinted tail lights, but then he started talking to me about my exhaust and how good it sounded..LOL that and I think because I was wearing scrubs heading to work he didnt give me a hardtime about the tail lights.

fizzo112
03-06-2008, 08:49 PM
haha this funny! You a doctor or nurse something!?

Bighemi06
03-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Physical Therapy

deem0nessa
03-06-2008, 08:53 PM
what some people call drone I call music to my ears....and to be honest since i got my slp lm 1 i hardly drive with the stereo on...i love the drone i love the roar and there are times when you can hardly hear it at all.....I guess what im tryin to say is it just depends on what type of person you are....if you dont care for drone I would consider zoomers or something else...

Bighemi06
03-06-2008, 09:05 PM
what some people call drone I call music to my ears....and to be honest since i got my slp lm 1 i hardly drive with the stereo on...i love the drone i love the roar and there are times when you can hardly hear it at all.....I guess what im tryin to say is it just depends on what type of person you are....if you dont care for drone I would consider zoomers or something else...

Well said...

fizzo112
03-06-2008, 09:17 PM
lol nice.... I def getting the slp 1 screw that cops **** idc if i get hassled! There is no law in michigan for cars under 8,500 lbs for DBA

Tyrant
03-06-2008, 10:31 PM
for me i'll put it this way, i have the LM2's for about 6 months now and given the chance i'd upgrade to the LM1 in a heart beat!!! lol

the sound inside is loud but i love it!

WhiteR/T07
03-06-2008, 10:44 PM
ive had mine for a couple months now and absolutely love them and as dem0nessa said their are time when you can barely hear them but when I open her up its music to my ear

YoungMedic23
03-06-2008, 10:49 PM
I drove around with my CUTOUTS OPEN daily....city and highway.....for months.....didn't bother me!!!

I LOVED THE SOUND!!!

Phanta5m
03-08-2008, 10:28 AM
I think it all depends whether you have the 5.7 or 6.1. The 5.7 has the mds and when that kicks in you definitely hear it inside the cabin. I have no clue what it sounds like outside the car when the mds kicks in and out but it makes the car sound cheap in my opinion. Does this get better over time, i have no clue because i've only had my system on for about 2 weeks. I like my slp 2 but it is inconsistent with sound due to the stupid mds in my opinion. I know I can disable MDS with the predator, so that's not a problem.

Also, it causes vibrations and buzzing sounds inside the car, most likely due to just having straight pipes and not having resonators/mufflers in the rear. This is a common problem for most cars having straight pipes. This can't be disabled by the predator and in my opinion is not because of the mds.

At this point, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my SLP 2 exhaust. I had a Corsa on before and it wasn't loud enough to me but it also, didn't cause buzzing and vibrations inside the cabin.

Maybe someone else with this system can chime in and give me some reassurance.:smoke:

russell072009
03-11-2008, 10:41 AM
I reciently installed the LM 1. I love the sound.... until MDS kicks in. I'm looking around for a resonator tip to see if that will help any. Other then when MDS is running i love the sound. Makes people stare... and cover their ears on occasion. I'm also sure i read here somewhere that.... well hate to break it to you but they get a bit louder as they break in..... I'd love to see how bad the MDS drone is with the LM 2 but i'm not spending 200 bucks on another set of mufflers to find out.

Phanta5m
03-11-2008, 10:44 AM
I reciently installed the LM 1. I love the sound.... until MDS kicks in. I'm looking around for a resonator tip to see if that will help any. Other then when MDS is running i love the sound. Makes people stare... and cover their ears on occasion. I'm also sure i read here somewhere that.... well hate to break it to you but they get a bit louder as they break in..... I'd love to see how bad the MDS drone is with the LM 2 but i'm not spending 200 bucks on another set of mufflers to find out.

drive in autostick at times or disable mds with the predator... that's what i did and it's made a huge difference in overall sound

russell072009
03-11-2008, 11:08 AM
yeah but autostick is kind of a pain and i'm not buying a predator just to disable MDS. is there ant other wat besides those two or motor work to disable MDS?

Phanta5m
03-11-2008, 11:14 AM
yeah but autostick is kind of a pain and i'm not buying a predator just to disable MDS. is there ant other wat besides those two or motor work to disable MDS?

yeah but with the predator you can adjust more than just the MDS and it also has other performance tunes you can do to your charger... from customize factory tune to a 93 cai performance tune

russell072009
03-11-2008, 11:24 AM
yeah but with the predator you can adjust more than just the MDS and it also has other performance tunes you can do to your charger... from customize factory tune to a 93 cai performance tune

I know but with as many times as this car has been to the dealer for repairs i'm not chancing a tune. Even if you reflash your stock tune in they can still tell if they look hard enough.

Phanta5m
03-11-2008, 11:26 AM
I know but with as many times as this car has been to the dealer for repairs i'm not chancing a tune. Even if you reflash your stock tune in they can still tell if they look hard enough.

true but my dealership sells superchips, so i'm not worried about that

russell072009
03-11-2008, 11:30 AM
i wish i had it that easy. my dealership ranks rather high on the sphincter scale and the others around me aren't much better.

ventoracing
03-11-2008, 12:56 PM
I think it all depends whether you have the 5.7 or 6.1. The 5.7 has the mds and when that kicks in you definitely hear it inside the cabin. I have no clue what it sounds like outside the car when the mds kicks in and out but it makes the car sound cheap in my opinion. Does this get better over time, i have no clue because i've only had my system on for about 2 weeks. I like my slp 2 but it is inconsistent with sound due to the stupid mds in my opinion. I know I can disable MDS with the predator, so that's not a problem.

Also, it causes vibrations and buzzing sounds inside the car, most likely due to just having straight pipes and not having resonators/mufflers in the rear. This is a common problem for most cars having straight pipes. This can't be disabled by the predator and in my opinion is not because of the mds.

At this point, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my SLP 2 exhaust. I had a Corsa on before and it wasn't loud enough to me but it also, didn't cause buzzing and vibrations inside the cabin.

Maybe someone else with this system can chime in and give me some reassurance.:smoke:

I've had the SLP2 on my car for about 6 months.... initially I thought it was too loud inside the cabin at highway speeds and considered getting rid of it. Instead I bought a set of Zoomers Cannon Tips for $200 something because someone said it would kill the drone. My impression: the zoomer cannon tips look like those big shiny cans the rice-burners put on the back of their cars and it didn't do anything to the drone. I sold them a week later for about half what I paid for them. In the meantime, I've either gotten used to the drone or the drone has toned down some. I actually don't mind the sound at highway speed and I think the car sounds great when you really step on it. I also love the burble you get on down shifts....

I agree, the sound of the MDS kicking in was just awful and it made me learn/get used to driving 100% of the time in auto stick. Now I cant drive without autostick. Overall I'm 110% satisfied with my SLP2 choice.

One other thing. Since your in CT you might consider coming over into Orange Co NY (Newburgh) to one of our Sunday get togethers at the Golden Rail Pub.... keep an eye on the regional events page...

Phanta5m
03-11-2008, 01:03 PM
I've had the SLP2 on my car for about 6 months.... initially I thought it was too loud inside the cabin at highway speeds and considered getting rid of it. Instead I bought a set of Zoomers Cannon Tips for $200 something because someone said it would kill the drone. My impression: the zoomer cannon tips look like those big shiny cans the rice-burners put on the back of their cars and it didn't do anything to the drone. I sold them a week later for about half what I paid for them. In the meantime, I've either gotten used to the drone or the drone has toned down some. I actually don't mind the sound at highway speed and I think the car sounds great when you really step on it. I also love the burble you get on down shifts....

I agree, the sound of the MDS kicking in was just awful and it made me learn/get used to driving 100% of the time in auto stick. Now I cant drive without autostick. Overall I'm 110% satisfied with my SLP2 choice.

One other thing. Since your in CT you might consider coming over into Orange Co NY (Newburgh) to one of our Sunday get togethers at the Golden Rail Pub.... keep an eye on the regional events page...

you have the predator right? did you just disable mds or no? I live about 2 1/2 hours from that area. I do go thru that way when i go pickup my daughter in PA though. thanks for the input!

ventoracing
03-12-2008, 07:59 AM
i have the predator now, but before i got the predator the sound of the MDS kicking really bothered me and I started driving 100% of the time with the autostick. I diabled the MDS with the predator but still drive 100% of the time in autostick.

Phanta5m
03-12-2008, 08:15 AM
i have the predator now, but before i got the predator the sound of the MDS kicking really bothered me and I started driving 100% of the time with the autostick. I diabled the MDS with the predator but still drive 100% of the time in autostick.

yeah that MDS bothered me until i got the predator:lol: ... hey, did you have any fitment issues with the crossmember and xpipe for your slp system? thanks

russell072009
03-12-2008, 09:20 AM
i did. i ended up putting the hangars just after the mufflers in the middle of the rubber insulator instead of in the hole at the bottom. picked it up just enough.

Phanta5m
03-12-2008, 09:27 AM
i did. i ended up putting the hangars just after the mufflers in the middle of the rubber insulator instead of in the hole at the bottom. picked it up just enough.

thanks for the input... i'm taking my into the shop tomorrow for adjustment