AEM LT Header Installation [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: AEM LT Header Installation

djv3n0m
02-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Alright im about to order the AEM LT headers. I Call a place call SpeedSouth In Pelham Alabama they tell me $750 for install. I decide to call around to find a cheaper place. I Say "Hey i wonder what the dealership will charge" so i call the dealership. And a Representative tells me. I Dont believe we will be allowed to install Headers because thats performance and it will void your warranty. He ask how many miles i have on my charger i say 15k he says i recommend not putting on headers it will void your warranty but if you still want to install headers go to a muffler shop. Wha The Hell?

MuscleMan305
02-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Alright im about to order the AEM LT headers. I Call a place call SpeedSouth In Pelham Alabama they tell me $750 for install. I decide to call around to find a cheaper place. I Say "Hey i wonder what the dealership will charge" so i call the dealership. And a Representative tells me. I Dont believe we will be allowed to install Headers because thats performance and it will void your warranty. He ask how many miles i have on my charger i say 15k he says i recommend not putting on headers it will void your warranty but if you still want to install headers go to a muffler shop. Wha The Hell?

Yea its sad isn't it. Unfortunatley most dodge dealers have gotten so used to selling trucks and minivans that they have completley forgotten us performance guys. Im under tha same predicament and I dont think its worth the headache of installing it aftermarket and have them give u a hard time if anything unrelated breaks, because from the sound of it they seem like some uptight anal nitpickers that will invent any reason to void your warranty. Next car i buy is going to be used so that i can skip this long wait and start the modding right away.

The biggest lesson i learned from all of this is that buying a new car from Dodge is basically paying 6-8 grand for a 40,000mile warranty since thats basically the cost difference (depreciation difference) between a new Charger and a low mileage used Charger in mint condition.

metgo
02-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Headers won't void you warrant, do listen to them. Also $750 is a bit high, I'm sure if you look around you can find some where cheaper. I got mine done at a shop for $300. But I wouldn't pay over $500 if I were you.

djv3n0m
02-08-2008, 05:23 PM
thanks metgo i thought that sounded pretty strange.

ICEChargerRT
02-08-2008, 05:53 PM
I just got mine put on in what's likely the most expensive region in America, the SF Bay Area (San Francisco, CA). for $340.00. The first few places I went to quoted $700-800 for the install. The problem is they are using the Mopar time guidelines which show 7 hours labor to install new exhaust manifolds on a Charger.

Find a performance oriented shop with experince doing headers on Chargers or other LX's. If they have done them before it should only take 3-4 hours labor to do the full install. Be warned if your the first LX car they do...it might take over 8 hours so find someone with experince if possible. My car ended up taking about 3.5 hours to do.

You also need to go back and have the Header bolts torqued again after driving 100 or so miles. Invest in some locking Header bolts for the install (Stage 8?), then after the first time re-torquing them you can relax and not worry about them coming loose.

As far as finding a shop that knows these cars, try to hook up with a Charger, or LX model (Magnum, 300) Club in your area you'll get some good contacts from others that have already done it.

Your dealer is full of poo poo...Get a new one. Headers or any other aftermarket part will not void your warranty, except for failure caused by that new part. I think there is a club "GA LX Club" based in GA that you might want to check with on LX forums club section, There is a club in Houston and one in Florida. Maybe they can point you in a good direction. P.S. Headers and Hi-Flo Cats make these cars into real monsters, I'm sure love it!

ICE

djv3n0m
02-12-2008, 10:29 AM
thanks ya'll are very helpful

Doug at RSI
02-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Headers won't void you warrant, do listen to them. Also $750 is a bit high, I'm sure if you look around you can find some where cheaper. I got mine done at a shop for $300. But I wouldn't pay over $500 if I were you.

Our header install rates for most cars range from 350-450 if it all bolts up. LT's that require welding fluctuate a lot for obvious reasons.

The dealer is always going to stick you the most when it comes to labor.