Can the cops really clock in the opposite direction ? [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Can the cops really clock in the opposite direction ?

cork
01-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Last weekend I was heading East up to Steven's Pass. My brother in law was behind me in his Honda Odyssey. We finally got to the double lanes and passed some of the slower vehicles. A few miles later I see in my rear view mirror that my brother in law is being pulled over.

The officer said he was heading the opposite direction when he clocked the Odyssey doing 72MPH on his radar gun. He pulled a U-Turn and proceeded to pull over and ticket my brother in law.

Can the cops really do that, heading the opposite direction?

alber/t
01-03-2006, 12:00 PM
yup, they did it to me in waco at night :sad:

AlphaBMET
01-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I got a ticket that way in W. VA - 86 in a 65...

mywhitecharger
01-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Yup - I've got a ticket like that before. 92 in a 55. Luckily he dropped it to 9 over. I was in my 1969 Fury III and the cop was admiring the fact that he had seen one as a patrol vehicle before.

TysCharger
01-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Absolutely, radar guns take into account the speed at which the beam is sent out and how quickly it returns. The math is just figured whether the officer is stopped or moving. You can try and fight the radar gun in court, but most Officers are prepared for that because they are considered certified through there department or their academy.

As for the speed, most states have a MAXIMUM speed (CA's is 65mph) others may have 70mph and if you go over that by just one mile then you are considered in violation. The officer does not have to prove that you were driving at an unsafe speed.

So unfortunetly, your brother in law is kinda screwed.

Ty

RobertKing1
01-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Got a ticket in Nebraska that way in 2000. Killed a 10 year clean record/I haven't got caught record.

AB Charger
01-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Yup they can. TysCharger kinda described it. The system is called "moving mode radar".The system takes into account the speed the police car is travelling at and performs a calculation with the speed the radar unit detected your Brother-in-laws' car was travelling at. And viola!. Up here, the Mounties have the radar heads in the front and rear windows. Getcha comin' and goin'. :sad:

jazzy69
01-04-2006, 12:33 AM
A quality radar detector will pay itself off quickly. Both (yes two) of my Passport 8500s have repaid themselves 2X. I was even saved from the instant on/off of a handheld LIDAR gun. :rockon: Of course, you'll need a fast foot and good brakes to pull it off...

KY-Daytona
01-04-2006, 01:26 AM
After having rode along as an intern with our city police, I will tell you that they can clock you through that method. Though I'm not for sure on all of the details, I believe that when the officer's vehical is above a certain speed, the radar gun cannot accuratly detect speeds, but if the 5-0 is maintaining a normal speed then it will be accurate. Also many radars can flip over an tell the speed of a vehical after the officer has passed the speeding vehical, so don't speed up.
As for the radar detecters, they don't fair so well against the auto on/ off guns. Unless the detecter picks up on the signal tracking another car, then it will pick up the radar as it is reading your vehical...
They only come on when they detect movement in the guns path.

jumpbackhemi
11-09-2008, 12:07 PM
they can do what ever they want, however you can try to fight it in court if it is a re **** u lass tickit!

CHARGERTREV
11-09-2008, 12:11 PM
they can do what ever they want, however you can try to fight it in court if it is a re **** u lass tickit!

lol this was almost 3 years ago...odds are his court date has come and gone.

07ChargerSRT8
11-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeppers,

I lived in TN for a couple years and got pulled over a couple times with the going the other direction and them making the big u-turn and pulling me over.

Got let go both times. Here in Pa they can not do that. Thank goodness. Cause the Bee LOVES to fly......LOL:driving::driving::driving:

SparksRT
11-11-2008, 09:42 PM
There's nothing like the feeling of watching the oncoming traffic, finally making out that the car coming toward you is indeed a cop, looking at your speedo realizing you're going way too fast, and then seeing the cop do a U-turn and hit the lights. It's happened to me twice (not in the Charger).

CHARGERTREV
11-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Nuff said

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVBQcaEc1C0

TudorML
11-12-2008, 03:07 PM
^ that is a sweet video. the whine of the supercharger is badass.

i actually just had that happen, but the guy riding the motorcycle i was chasing ended up in handcuffs.

Ron380
11-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Ah-Yep! They've had Rolling Radar in Ohio for years!

Actually, I think they've been using it LESS over the last few years, due to maintainence on the units and concerns over possible cancer risks to leaving it on all the time. That might have been with the older units, though...

The OSP are using Lasers much more often these days, anyway.

Have Fun! :confused:

bpd1151
11-12-2008, 04:38 PM
The ability is out there yes, to monitor/detect speed violations in a multitude of ways.

Moving, Stationary, Same direction, Opposite direction, From the front, Rear, and even the side of a squad car. There are some models of speed detection equipment out there that can monitor more than one vehicle simultaneously i.e. 2 cars (or more) at once and indicate in the view screen and other means, of which vehicle is the "fastest" or "slowest".

Really, the technology is pretty damn cool now a days. In fact, it isn't too uncommon for some of the handheld LIDAR (laser) devices to detect a car, and it's speed, from literally 3/4ths of a statute mile away! I've even seen speed detection equipment mounted at a fixed location (coupled with a camera) and the officer has the ability to sit in an entirely separate location, and monitor the violations from his/her laptop computer in the squad and then effect a t-stop further down the road. Insane stuff for sure.

Luckily most agencies still allow their officers the discretion on what levels of enforcement to administer and how much of a "tolerance" above the limit will generally be "allowed".

By me, that "window of opportunity" so to speak, above the limit, is usually 12-15mph, sometimes 15-18mph depending on other factors, road conditions, other traffic, weather, time of day/night, etc.

Best bet is, to keep it within reason and realize everyone speeds, most unintentionally, and a rare handful, intentionally.

elcobra44
11-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Heck yeah.. I'm goin speeding in Bollingbrook TONIGHT!!! :driving:

bpd1151
11-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Heck yeah.. I'm goin speeding in Bolingbrook TONIGHT!!! :driving:

Haha, well, 3 things Matt:

1.) I'm off tonight
2.) My limits usually a little higher (although I won't state what that is)
3.) Be sure to avoid any road obstructions or blue barrels, etc.

:worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried: :worried:

Ron380
11-12-2008, 06:29 PM
On the "discretionary" part... some of the LEO's I know aren't after the people doing 75 mph... they're after the people doing stupid things while going 75 mph! ;)

GLHS837
11-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Ah, you hit my pet peeve right there. I'm much more concerned with the idget going 65 while paying %15 of his attention to the road, than the guy doing 75-80 and paying %95 of his attention. I believe most officers would really rather get those numbn%$# off the road instead of running revenue enforcement on Sunday morning.

Ron380
11-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Ah, you hit my pet peeve right there.

Glad I could help! :bigthumb:

Safety Fast! :grin:

NBx33
11-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Yes we can . Sucks

http://www.vascar.com/

http://www.radarguns.com/how-radar-guns-work.html

Read more about it here.