Shimmy problem with Goodyear Assurance [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Shimmy problem with Goodyear Assurance

riannapo
08-22-2007, 12:12 AM
I have a 2007 RT with about 7,000 miles on it. It has the 18" Goodyear Assurance 225/60's on it, and shimmies at 35 mph and 70 mph. Interestingly enough, the problem seems worse when the car has sit for many hours (or overnight). The problem lessens after about 15 minutes of driving, but does not go completely away. The shimmy is more noticeable at 35 mph, than 70. The dealer balanced the tires for me at 3,000 miles which helped, but did not totally clear up the problem. When I brought it back in just about a week ago, I complained again about the problem and really insisted that I wasn't going to take it back until it was fixed. Long story short, I took the service manager for a ride and demonstrated the problem, and after a long discussion convinced him that they needed to put four new tires and wheels on my car to convince me that the problem was not in the tires and wheels. We compromised on taking a new car out for a test ride. We searched the lot for the exact same tires and wheels, and sure enough, the last car we looked at had the same tires and wheels. Turns out, it also had the exact same shimmy! Seems that there may have been a bad batch of tires put on our cars. The problem has not been resolved yet, but they were going to check some stuff with the factory, and it looks like they'll be giving me four new tires. Will post again when problem is corrected.

wickedchargerrt
08-22-2007, 12:28 AM
i've seen lots of these issues on new cars at the dealers and it comes from tires being improperly stored at the factory before wheel install. When tires sit they should be on the sidewall but most factories i've been in have them in tire racks straight up. This time at the tire manufacture, and then at the factory, can add up and create a flat spot in the tire. Continentals on fords were terrible about this and when we discussed it in training we found that i tire can sit on the shelf up to two years being brand new before it gets installed. New tires will solve your issue

Scottwoos06RT
08-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Wee bit outta round..................

pkeys
08-22-2007, 11:38 AM
I've had the same shimmy problem on mine. They only seemed to find one tire that couldn't balance and replaced it. Guess what? The new tire was even worse.... and horrible road noise when driving on the highway, they replace it again and it's better but still have the shimmy on the highway.
I have to find a dealer with a Road force balance machine to see if they are out of round....

Ethan@Tirerack
08-22-2007, 12:05 PM
"Interestingly enough, the problem seems worse when the car has sit for many hours (or overnight). The problem lessens after about 15 minutes of driving"

This are typical symptoms of flat-spotting. Often more apparent when the temperature drops.

Preds
08-23-2007, 09:40 PM
I am currently having the same problem. For a second, I thought you stole my car. I think I have reserved to buying new tires. I have had the tire dealer and dodge to try and balance the tires with no luck. Dodge road force balanced them and it did nothing.

It does work as an amazing negotiating tactic with the wife for 20's

riannapo
08-25-2007, 12:01 AM
Well...it sure is annoying...new car and it has more shimmy than my other two cars and they have 175K and 130K miles on them. Will keep the post updated once dealer solves the problem.

Keith
08-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Guys, I couldn't belive it when I saw your thread about the shimmy. I have had he same exact problem, same speeds. I just picked up the car from the dealer for the second time and it still shimmys. I was even told that one of my rims was bent, and I spent 150 dollars to make sure it was straight and round. The problem was still there. I have 22,000 miles on the car (it is my wife's car and she baby's it) and the tires will need to be replaced within 7-9000 miles if not sooner. The tire are frequently balanced and rotated. I personally check and maintain the air pressure. I do not know what to do or where to turn. I am afraid that if I buy new tires, the new tires will cover up the problem until I get 10-20,000 miles on the car, and then the problem comes back. Please let me know what you determine. Thanks a bunch guys, it really helps to know that I am not having to go thru this by myself. Keith:knockout:

Keith
08-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Did you ever get your shimmy problem resolved? keith

Dutch
08-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Goodyear has a reputation for manufacturing oblong tires lately. I went through this with the Lincoln LS I traded on my Charger. I went through 2 sets of Goodyears trying to get some that were round and finally gave up.

Keith
08-28-2007, 06:43 AM
Goodyear has a reputation for manufacturing oblong tires lately. I went through this with the Lincoln LS I traded on my Charger. I went through 2 sets of Goodyears trying to get some that were round and finally gave up.

What tires did you get? I want to stay with a tour type tire instead of a high preformance tire. I am thinking about the Michelin Primacy MXV4. I read that the BF Goodrich tire is also pretty good. NO MORE GOODYEARS! keith

wickedchargerrt
08-28-2007, 06:48 AM
its really not goodyears fault guys. I dont like good year by anymeans but anyone that had that tire, dealer, factory, or whereever could have contributed to its warping and ruining the radial runout.
bridgestone bridgestone bridgestone

Preds
08-30-2007, 11:41 AM
I just got my Charger back from the tire shop. They were able to finally determine that one of the tires is out of whack (his words). After I gave him the "well that's what I have been telling you guys", he said they were going to order me two new tires at no charge and it should fix the problem. If not, they will replace the other two.

I should have the new tires by next friday. I'll post the outcome.

Keith
09-09-2007, 09:20 PM
I just got my Charger back from the tire shop. They were able to finally determine that one of the tires is out of whack (his words). After I gave him the "well that's what I have been telling you guys", he said they were going to order me two new tires at no charge and it should fix the problem. If not, they will replace the other two.

I should have the new tires by next friday. I'll post the outcome.

Hi Guys, I purchased the Michelin Primacy tire and the shimmy problem is GONE. Man these tires are so smooth!! If you have a shimmy and the Goodyear tires, get rid of them. Problem solved.

riannapo
09-14-2007, 11:57 PM
...the saga continues for me...just got the car back from the "authorized" Goodyear dealer and they said there was nothing wrong with the tires, but that they were out of balance. This is the second time these tires have been balanced in the last 3000 miles. Both times the problem did get better, but wasn't ever completely resolved. I still have a shimmy that I can feel in my butt at 35 mph. The wheel shake isn't that noticeable, but you can still feel a right to left to right shake in the seat of your pants at 35. I talked to the dealer about it, and was assured that they will give me a car next week to drive until they fix it. He said he was gonna take the tires off a 300 and put them on and see if the problem goes away, and then work backwards from there. I can't imagine that I have a bent rim with Aluminum wheels. It has to be a tire issue. The Goodyear dealer said the next place he'd look is at a drivetrain vibration, like a drive shaft out of balance or something...sounds awfully suspicious to me...stay tuned.

drivingintowallz
09-15-2007, 12:30 AM
Had the same problem, had tires replaced, no more problem.

riannapo
09-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Had the same problem, had tires replaced, no more problem.
Did Dodge pay for your new tires, or was it on your dime?

MarkCharger2007
09-15-2007, 09:49 PM
i had the same problem with my stratus came to find out yes Badyears tires they couldnt get them to ballance out all the way put new tires on and all was good

MarkCharger2007
09-15-2007, 09:51 PM
then again have them rotate your tires and have some fun and smokem to the rims

riannapo
09-16-2007, 08:38 PM
then again have them rotate your tires and have some fun and smokem to the rims
I would if I could, but I can't really smoke em...even with the key esp disable mod. I haven't powerbraked yet, but if I jump on it from a standstill, I get about 1 second of rubber, then launch. It sure helps on 0-60 times, but unless there is some moisture on the road, I can't smoke em. Maybe once I get the torque converter I will be able to...or maybe once my diablo arrives, that will help???

rasterman
09-17-2007, 07:19 PM
I just ordered the Michelins today (Michelin Primacy MVX4, 225/60/18), upgrading from the stock Conti (225/60/18)

I'll let you know how they do.. My stock Contis lasted 31k. I'm eager to see how much the ride really changes.

I mentioned the Goodyear Assurance set in another thread, wouldn't have bothered mentioning this again (here) if it wasn't for the Sam's club Goodyear comments I heard today.......

Be careful about buying Goodyear Assurance from Sam's Club (or Costco).. Supposedly, you have to buy all or none from Sam's club when it comes to Goodyear tires. My car dealer mentioned people coming in with all sorts of major problems because they mixed and matched Goodyears from Sam's club and elsewhere. Supposedly, Sam's Club has their own exclusive Goodyear Assurance version... It's slightly different (size wise) than the regular Goodyear (that you'd buy anywhere else). Bizarre North Pole action--Sam's has their own factory for this or soemthing.

Just soemthing to keep in mind. I almost bought the Assurance a couple weeks ago (that's all Sam's carries for the Charger, other than some less desirable Dunlop tire)......... Supposedly these Michelins will do great, I'll keep you posted. I wanted the Toyo Versado LX (Recommended for BMW 7, Large Lexus Sedans, Chargers and 300C's) but couldn't find anyone local that could get 'em. I'm jsut glad it's over and the Michelin's are on order. They come with the freaky little stay-puff marschmellow dude on 'em and everthang.......

craiglf
09-20-2007, 08:26 PM
My 06 Charger has been doing the shimmy since about 5000 miles. Had it in the shop numerous times without any change. Took to two different dodge dealerships with same results - they couldn't feel anything. Road balanced tires ($150 out of my pocket) and was told they are good now. Not so. Between this and many other problems that dodge will not admit too (including warped rotors) I am done with dodge. I have gotten the run around from day one and I am sick of it. I can purchase a better car for the price I paid for this charger. The problem is finding someone who wants it!

riannapo
09-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Well, here is an update. I took the car back to my dealer and they found the right rear tire had some "horizontal" movement. Said they put a grease pen close to the rim and spun it with no contact, but put it next to the rubber and it made contact. They then took it back to the Goodyear dealer, and they agreed the tire was just barely out of tolerance and replaced it. I haven't driven the car enough yet to become convinced that the problem is finally resolved, but after a weekend of driving it, I should have a verdict. I can tell you for sure that I will not buy these tires ever for this car...sounds like Michelin's would be better.

riannapo
09-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Well, here is an update. I took the car back to my dealer and they found the right rear tire had some "horizontal" movement. Said they put a grease pen close to the rim and spun it with no contact, but put it next to the rubber and it made contact. They then took it back to the Goodyear dealer, and they agreed the tire was just barely out of tolerance and replaced it. I haven't driven the car enough yet to become convinced that the problem is finally resolved, but after a weekend of driving it, I should have a verdict. I can tell you for sure that I will not buy these tires ever for this car...sounds like Michelin's would be better.
Ok, verdict is problem NOT solved! I was so frustrated after I felt the "quiver" still, that I decided to jack up the rear end and have a "look see". Low and behold, I put the car in gear, at idle (about 10 mph) and could see both horizontal and vertical wobble. Stunned, because one of the tires was new, I decided to rotate the tires and repeat the test...and observed the same thing. So I either have four bad tires, or there is something out of wack on the rear end...I think? I have now escalated the problem with the dealership, plus I am on the phone with Dodge customer service in an attempt to escalate the issue at the "company" level. Next, I'll also be calling Goodyear to escalate there as well...stay tuned. What a pain in the A$$!

riannapo
09-26-2007, 05:31 AM
Ok, verdict is problem NOT solved! I was so frustrated after I felt the "quiver" still, that I decided to jack up the rear end and have a "look see". Low and behold, I put the car in gear, at idle (about 10 mph) and could see both horizontal and vertical wobble. Stunned, because one of the tires was new, I decided to rotate the tires and repeat the test...and observed the same thing. So I either have four bad tires, or there is something out of wack on the rear end...I think? I have now escalated the problem with the dealership, plus I am on the phone with Dodge customer service in an attempt to escalate the issue at the "company" level. Next, I'll also be calling Goodyear to escalate there as well...stay tuned. What a pain in the A$$!
Ok, got a complaint filed with Dodge, but don't expect much to come of it. They turned me over to Goodyear as they do not warrant tires. I called Goodyear, got a claim number and am taking car to authorized dealer and if they can verify a problem, they will replace all 4 tires. So my question now is since I have to use Goodyear, Kelly, or Dunlop tires...does anyone have any recommendations for a 225/60R18? I searched for this tire size on their site and the only "better" options I see is the ResponsEdge and the Ultra Grip 3? I'm leaning towards the ResponsEdge...anyone try that yet?

crhemi
09-27-2007, 11:52 AM
I went through the same issues. Goodyear replaced my CT at 30K for 50% off.
Still had the shimmy and guess what? My tie rods where bad. Just had the whole rack replaced (UNDER WARRENTY) AND ALL IS GOOD.

tHE LX PLATFORM IS WELL KNOWN FOR PREMATURE TIE ROD FAILURE

WildBlue
10-04-2007, 03:30 PM
I've had the same "shimmy" issue for a couple of months now with the Goodyear Assurance 225/60 18's. Took it in to discount for balance and rotate several times with no fix. Took it to dodge for Roadforce balance and no fix.
Went back to Discount Tire and talked to manager to look at tire fault after reading this post. He acknowledged fault and ordered Mich tires. Put on this morning and no more shimmy.

riannapo
10-04-2007, 09:56 PM
So, since you got Michellins, my guess is it was on your dime...I've had the problem since day one and there was no way I was gonna accept anything less than someone buying me 4 new tires. Thanks to Goodyear for stepping up to the plate. I'm getting the RSA's they put on Police Chargers, but I've gotta wait 2-3 more weeks before they are in stock...will let you know how this turns out...fingers crossed.

WildBlue
10-05-2007, 10:34 AM
I was credited back roughly 80% value of the Goodyears and paid the difference for the upgrade to Michelins.
Good luck, those RSA's are nice tires.

Keith
10-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Well guys, I had reported to you that I replaced the goodyears with the Michelins and the problem was gone. WRONG. The shimmy is slowly coming back at the same speeds, etc. I was worried that the new tires might mask the problem until I got a few miles on the tires. Well I was right. I asked the dealer to check the tie rods and he said they were good. I think there must be something with the rear end or something else with the car other than the tire, wheels, balance. Any suggestions? Keith

I was credited back roughly 80% value of the Goodyears and paid the difference for the upgrade to Michelins.
Good luck, those RSA's are nice tires.

riannapo
10-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Well guys, I had reported to you that I replaced the goodyears with the Michelins and the problem was gone. WRONG. The shimmy is slowly coming back at the same speeds, etc. I was worried that the new tires might mask the problem until I got a few miles on the tires. Well I was right. I asked the dealer to check the tie rods and he said they were good. I think there must be something with the rear end or something else with the car other than the tire, wheels, balance. Any suggestions? Keith
That is concerning...I just ordered the new RSA's and they should be in within a couple of weeks...they backordered. Keep us posted on what you find out. Having read through multiple threads about this problem, that was the only other thing I have heard about is the tie rod ends...besides the tires. There was also one post that suggested that you have to be very mindful of how you tighten down the tires making sure that you alternate between lug nuts to make sure the rim centers on the hub properly...

steveo242
10-31-2007, 10:14 PM
Pilots seem to be the least you hear issues about

GMan
11-17-2007, 09:14 PM
I put Goodyear Assurance tires on about july, and had a vibration problem right away, although an initial re balancing seemed to take care of the problem. It hasn't. I thought I would check here, and find a whole forum is dedicated to these tires.
I guess I am out some bucks for different tires.
Rich

riannapo
11-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Gman...if you just got em, or if you have less than 2/32 tread wear, or can prove you have had the problem since day one, Goodyear will replace them. You'll need to make some phone calls and be persistent, but that is what I did and they bought me 4 new tires. In fact, I'm going down this week to get the RSA's put on. They were on back order for a month, and I've now got 12,000 miles on the Assurance's. I'll post back within the week to let everyone know what I think of the RSA's. They ought to be good, that is what the police chargers have on them.

vholmes58
11-22-2007, 11:27 AM
I to have the same problem although it didn't seem to show up till about 15000. It has gotten worse I have about 29000 now,( starting to get top the wear bars) Just ordered new set of Toyo Versado's.
Will let you know how I like them.

riannapo
11-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Well, I finally got my new tires...the Goodyear RSA's, and so far, so good. The quiver is gone, but there might still be a slight vibration. My personal opinion is that they probably aren't balanced perfectly. The shop that got the tires for me is a truck specialty shop, but they were the only ones close to me that were an authorized goodyear dealer. Proof is in the fact that as I pulled out of the parking lot, I heard a strange noise, got out and walked around the car, and the front right tire's lug nuts were all loose! I'll probably have the dealer do another balancing job on them at the next oil change...the vibration is not that bad...I may just be oversensitive since it took so much work to get the problem resolved.

GMan
12-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks Rian...
Anyone with vibration problems... at the point of vibration, shift to neutral, see if the vib is still there. If not, it is a driveline problem, if it is, check the tires.

The dealer says my front right tie rod had gone, and was surprised that the tire dealer did not see it. After tie rod replaced, same problem. This morning, while pulling out normally on a green light in Drive, the engine revved up to @ 4k, as if it was in first gear..... fluid is down and I have a fluid leak per the tire dealer, he also says a transmission / frame attachment is gone. He took it for a test drive and proved it is a driveline problem ( vibration) no vibration at 65 in neutral. Might be a good test for anyone with a vibration problem.
If it is NOT the tires, why are we all experiencing a similar problem when putting on these tires ? Very strange. Perhaps a transmission mounts life is similar to tread life ? Anyway, it seems to be a good idea to have a good tire dealer to check out the car, and the dealer to check out the tires ! :-)

pickle r/t
12-04-2007, 07:25 PM
I've got the vibration also. The first set was on the factory rt rims and the second set are on the chrome clads that I brought. Thats 8 different tires that do it. Both have roughly 10k on them. I'm going to try putting it in neutral to see if it goes away. My one question, is it just the 18's that have this problem?

GMan
12-04-2007, 08:24 PM
I am having the vibration serviced tomorrow (12/5) hoping that the trans mount is the driveline problem. Their may be an inherrent problem affecting Chargers at a certain mileage..... and I wonder if there is a problem in LIFTING the car at incorrect points that may bend something ? Why are we having problems JUST when we get new tires ?
so, tomorrow i fix the INHERRENT trans leak problem and
a transmission mount
tie rod laST WEEK
$800 in one week just for service and a tie rod
$$$$$ and counting. I wouldn't mind it, if they would just FIX THIS FREAKING VIBRATION !
Now, the dash vibrates and the sun roof. ( at 60 mph). I don't need a speedometer, a tuning fork will do
Talk about a hum job.

mejia11
12-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Its amazing i have been through the same hell goodyear dealer, car dealer, discount tires, several other dealers and no one wants to touch it stating driveline A-OK must be tires, discount tires says Tires are fine must be drivetrain I am tired and just gave up I have 29,000 on tires and will switch out hope it goes away. My problem is njot so much a vibration as it is a wobble.

GMan
12-09-2007, 01:10 PM
update
The dealer says that there is no problem other than the trans leak. I took the car on a road test, and all appears fine, no vibration... hmmm go figure.
IF this is true, it would appear that a low trans fluid would create a vibration.
Anyway, the vibration has gone as mysteriously as it appeared. I would add that each wheel now apeaars to have from 3 to 5 lead balances, which it did not have before.
Perhaps a high speed professional wheel balance has done the trick.
Good luck to all that are losing their tooth fillings
Rich

GMan
03-02-2008, 07:56 PM
The vibration did NOT go away. I have thrown out the Goodyear Assurance with only 6 months on them, and replaced with Continental V rating. Not a vibe anywhere. Like it was new.
Rich

TRES
03-02-2008, 08:58 PM
I have a 07 RT that came with the 18" chrome clads. No vibration problems until at 5000 miles had tires rotated. The vibration started when at 65 mph, took to have all four balanced and found that the chrome clads are a steel wheel with a chome piece glued on. It takes an adapter to balance the chrome clad, had it done 3 times and still vibration thinkin it was the wheels. Found a set of stock RT wheels and Continental tires off a 06 Magnum bought cheap and installed no vibration. Needed the low pressure sensors off chrome clads so took to Discount tire to have sensors put on stock RT wheels and Goodyear Assurance tires since they only had 5000 miles on them. Got on freeway and got up to 65mph and vibration started. Went back to discount tire and they warrantied the Goodyear Assurance and put on a set of Yokohama YK520 and no more vibration. This is the first Yokohama tires i have had and they handle really good and no vibration.

Tres

Houston_Hemi
05-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks Rian...
Anyone with vibration problems... at the point of vibration, shift to neutral, see if the vib is still there. If not, it is a driveline problem, if it is, check the tires.

Be careful, I've had a rear U-joint go out and the car would still vibrate while in neutral. I thought for sure it was the tires, but it wasn't. Don't forget that the driveshaft always spins if the tires are spinning.

mulisha
05-08-2008, 09:16 PM
same problem here add me to the list, will be seeing dealer this weekend about resolving the problem.

spooook
04-25-2010, 08:59 AM

I purchased my 2007 R/T new in July of 2007. It had 51 miles on it.

It came with the 18" chrome clad rims and assurance tires.

The shimmy problem kicked in at 71 miles! The dealer and Goodyear was involved including a Chrysler rep.

The dealer tried swapping the rims and tires out with no luck. The Assurance tires were the problem.

I cut a deal with my dealer to comp out the tires and they replaced them with Toyo performance tires.

The shimmy went away. The ill effect I gained was an unacceptable tire roar.

The end all cure on my ride was to purchase 2007 Super Bee SRT8 rims and install and stagger the rubber.

I am running the standard 245's on the front and 295's on the rear.

Shimmy totally gone.

We sought out every road force technician in our areas and they just could not get rid of the shimmy with the Goodyear Assurance OEM tires.