How long is too long for the car to sit? [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: How long is too long for the car to sit?

Half 918
07-22-2007, 11:23 PM
How long is to long for a car to sit??

My Bee has not moved now for almost 5 weeks and before that it sat for 4 weeks So overall it has only moved 10 miles in the last two months.:confused:
This is not due to a desire to drive her, but more due to the 150 degree heat here in the phoenix area taking away all desire to drive with the windows down!!:grin:

BlueKnights
07-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Turn the A/C on and hit the road, even if it's a night ride. Don't let Mother Nature rule over your joys and pleasure. Life is too short.

spenosk8er
07-22-2007, 11:44 PM
When I go to school in boston my charger may sit for a month or so at a time... is that bad? or should it still run fine when i rev it up when i get home?

NYT
07-23-2007, 01:27 AM
i would drive it every month or so. new cars dont have to worry about sitting as much as older vehicles. i know that when i worked at a dealership, we needed to move cars constantly because of the lighting overhead and dead batteries.

LoneStar
07-23-2007, 01:36 AM
Drive it dude..! I'm sure the A/C works just fine. I've lived in the desert myself and know that the temp drops nicely in the evening.

racing2448
07-23-2007, 05:14 AM
my car sat for 3 months without being started when i first bought it because it was at our south carolina house and we were in jersey :). i flew down on a friday night, bought the car on saturday, and flew home saturday night bc i needed to be home sunday morning :). it started right up after that no probs at all, but i dont recommend doing it ;).

RitzRT
07-23-2007, 05:18 AM
My concern would be mostly over developing flat spots in the tires over time. I'd try to at least move it around once a week and perhaps make sure the engine gets up to operating temps. A nice highway cruise for 20-30 mins once a week with the A/C blasting might be what she needs. :D Just tell your wife/girlfriend/SO that you need to do this to protect your investment. :)

Best,

TripleTransAm
07-23-2007, 05:37 AM
Why the reluctance to drive the car in this kind of heat with the windows up? A/C not working?

danaM
07-23-2007, 06:07 AM
Mine sits in the winter, no problems other than missing her and having to look at her with tears in her headlights when she sits. Breaks my freaking heart.

I make up for it though in the fall, spring and summer.

D

TopBanana107
07-23-2007, 06:46 AM
What are you worried about that it sits for so long?

Mine sat all winter in a carport...uncovered. In the spring, all I had to do was slow charge my battery (off the car), put battery back in car after hibernating in my basement (off the concrete floor) and presto, she fired right up!

blairian
07-23-2007, 06:50 AM
in the manual it recommends that if you are going to leave the car sit then run the car and A/C at least once every 2 weeks for 5 minutes to maintain proper lubrication levels in the A/C system (otherwise next time you start it and crank up the A/C something might not be working!)

Otherwise I'd just make sure you change the oil at least once every 3 months and give it some love every once in awhile!

FurBurger
07-23-2007, 10:53 AM
i wouldn't worry at all about it!!! i've seen to many newer model cars sit for 12-16 months at a time without ever being cranked up....the consistant problem that arose was a dead battery. If it has to sit that long, get an oil change and have the coolant system flushed before you leave and get again when you return...everything should be fine!!!

12-16 months for a car to sit is a long time i know, but when you're a single soldier and no one to levae your car with, it has to sit in the POV lot and the only thing/person to keep an eye on it is some flashlight janitor!! thank god the lot is fenced in!!

DonatoM3
07-23-2007, 11:17 AM
in the manual it recommends that if you are going to leave the car sit then run the car and A/C at least once every 2 weeks for 5 minutes to maintain proper lubrication levels in the A/C system (otherwise next time you start it and crank up the A/C something might not be working!)

Otherwise I'd just make sure you change the oil at least once every 3 months and give it some love every once in awhile!

It's not that the AC may not be working, but it's that if the seals don't get lubricated they could get dry crack and let refrigerant escape. So of course with a leak you could lose the oil that's in the refrigerant as well which is what would be bad to the compressor. That's why it's important to run the A/C in the winter every so often because that's when the seals can dry out the most.

This was advice my mechanic gave me years ago, and my 97 M3 never needed it's refrigerant filled once, and worked just as strong the day I sold it as the day I bought it.

Half 918
07-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Hey guys I appreciate all the feed back.

TripleTransAm: Why the reluctance to drive the car in this kind of heat with the windows up? A/C not working?
To me driving this car around with the windows up just is not the same. I love having all the windows down including the sun roof, for me that's part of the experience, fortunatly the bee is not my daily driver and since I just could not ever let anything but perfect weather touch her I am letting her rest for the future cooler weather to come.

LoneStar: Drive it dude..! I'm sure the A/C works just fine. I've lived in the desert myself and know that the temp drops nicely in the evening.
Lonestar your right when I was a kid the temps used to drop down really nice here in the Phoenix area at night but now with all the growth and the lost farm lands it's just not the same!!!:cry:

Andre
07-23-2007, 09:54 PM
So leaving a car (not only the charger) sitting for about a week without driving shouldn't be a big deal correct?

REB
07-24-2007, 07:25 AM
Weeks should not be an issue, months can be -

Top of crank not covered in oil can rust -
Top of rear gear not sitting in oil reserve can rust -
Front and rear main seals, less likely to but can dry and crack, same as A/C seals
Tires can begin to dry rot on concrete, even a dry garage. Placing sheets of sheet metal under each tire can prevent this for a longer time. Flat spots can and will develop if the car is rarely if ever driven (less than 1500 mpy)

As stated these are issues on older cars, less so on newer but still a factor. You should decide if the car is going to be used, and use it periodically, or move it to a storage system for most of the year, and only pull the tires out of bags and flush it once a year (trans, oil and coolant, A/C and add back washer fluids) to drive for the short period (car show season, etc.) and then back to the blocks and California Car Bag.....It's either a collector piece you never put miles on, and needs extra storage maintenance, or you drive it enough to prevent those steps from being required.

I keep a 38 year old garaged classic, and it's a B*&%^ to keep it in ready-to-run condition when it only gets a couple hundred miles a year....

REB

Ruff n Tuff RT
07-24-2007, 08:04 AM
mine is about to be sitting 6 months

FurBurger
07-24-2007, 09:36 AM
mine is about to be sitting 15 months unless i drive it home and leave it with my moms so she can drive it on sundays....at least that way my car can get blessed every week!!