Charger just shuts off in gear while driving!! [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Charger just shuts off in gear while driving!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

BigQ
07-22-2007, 01:51 PM
When we first got the car about two months after the car would randomly not start. It would turn over, but not ignite at all. Took it to the dealer and naturally it did not do it for them. Anyway it seemed to go away after that:shifty: Then I get in the car almost a year later and while backing out it just shuts off in gear! So put it in park and try to restart and it does no problems so i pull out and I am driving down the street and bam..it does it again while in drive???? So I put it back in the garage and call the tow truck and have it taken down to the dealership where they will look at it.

So my question is ...has anyone ever heard of this. I a suspicion that they will not find anything again, but I surely do not want my wife and kids to be driving on the freeway and have it just turn off on them.

I saw another post about the key fob battery can do this????

Any input would be much appreciated.

Charger06RT
07-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Mine stalled once in gear on the Garden State Parkway after coming through a toll. Yikes!!

Anyway, i had just filled the car. The folks at the filling station topped off the tank. I suspect topping it off caused it to stall. Gas was probably suck through the evap system.

That's my experiance. The car hasn't stalled since. **knocks on wood** :)

TuRn "N" HeAdZ
07-22-2007, 05:40 PM
My car has done this to me a couple of times while im in drive. I take it to the dealer right away and they tell me since it doesnt throw a code they cant do anything about it. I dont know anything about cars but my moms 300 had the same problem and it ended up being the computer. No problems since they switched it out.

1MEANR/T
07-22-2007, 06:17 PM
My HEMI did that when i was going home to Florida from Illinios. I have know idea why????

Bones1274
07-23-2007, 12:27 AM
Mine did it 4 times while I was driving around the country for 3 weeks. I determined that it was my knee bumping my keys hanging down from the ignition as I moved my foot back and forth between pedals. I did some playing around on a back street at slow speeds and was able to turn off my car with my knee.:angry: :eek: :eek:

RitzRT
07-23-2007, 06:33 AM
Mine has done it once too.

There is clearly some problem with so many cars affected. I'll be glad when a fix is announced (if ever).

Best,

Charger Marc
07-23-2007, 07:21 AM
once also, there is something to this dangerous problem

rsoto80
07-23-2007, 07:51 AM
yup, happen to me once and the dealer told me the same thing..."no codes, can't help ya" I think it has something to do with the hot weather...these cars don't like it when it's hot.

chargeit2thegame
07-23-2007, 11:50 AM
mine did this twice in one day a few weeks ago but hasnt done it since. I was driving approximately 30 mph and i noticed the car wasnt on anymore. i pulled over, put it in neutral and restarted it. i have no idea why it did that. its not safe either and if you were to have an accident because of it, i wonder if chrysler could eventually be sued. i'm thinking a recall will eventually be issued 'cuz the same exact thing happened to me in my 2005 dodge magnum r/t i previously owned.

slvr06CHARGER
07-23-2007, 01:35 PM
mine has done it several times, even 3 times in a row, dont know whats the problem with this cars, we need a fix for this

BigQ
07-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Hmm, this can't be good, but i am glad to see I am not crazy:cry:

It is still at the dealers and will see what they say.

slvr06CHARGER
07-23-2007, 06:51 PM
ur right it aint good, i always wondered what if someones car stalls on the highway and has an accident because of this? is chrysler waiting for this to happen so they come up with a solution?

Bones1274
07-23-2007, 08:35 PM
mine did this twice in one day a few weeks ago but hasnt done it since. I was driving approximately 30 mph and i noticed the car wasnt on anymore. i pulled over, put it in neutral and restarted it. i have no idea why it did that. its not safe either and if you were to have an accident because of it, i wonder if chrysler could eventually be sued. i'm thinking a recall will eventually be issued 'cuz the same exact thing happened to me in my 2005 dodge magnum r/t i previously owned.

One interesting thing I learned when mine died going down the freeway is that you can start the car in drive. I always thought you had to put it in neutral or park to start it. I was focusing more on the fact that my car died at 70 mph and didnt think to put it in neutral. I just reached up and turned the key. It started right up and thank god there was no clunk or exploding metal when the tranny re engaged at freeway speeds.:knockout:

RitzRT
07-24-2007, 08:44 AM
One interesting thing I learned when mine died going down the freeway is that you can start the car in drive. I always thought you had to put it in neutral or park to start it. I was focusing more on the fact that my car died at 70 mph and didnt think to put it in neutral. I just reached up and turned the key. It started right up and thank god there was no clunk or exploding metal when the tranny re engaged at freeway speeds.:knockout:

What?!?! That shouldn't be possible. There's a neutral safety switch that is supposed to prevent you from starting the car unless it's in neutral or park.

Best,

SupremeG
07-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Has anyone contacted DCX about this? The dealerships aren't going to be able to do anything with this until they hear from DCX, so we may have to go with DCX directly.

sublime 781
07-24-2007, 09:45 AM
once in 1500 miles

blairian
07-24-2007, 09:47 AM
stalled once but it was more on purpose than anything else..

DonatoM3
07-24-2007, 10:41 AM

Even if you could, I wouldn't. Remember your steering wheel should lock as you turn the key to the off position. Unless you can start the car without turning the key all the way out. I know my last car and my dad's BMW both required you to turn the keys completely out after a start.

fluffykush
07-24-2007, 12:58 PM
to the original poster...what year and model is your car? After reading all these stories about chargers stalling, i keep waiting for the day mine will do the same. So far so good. Had it for 7 months now with 3400 miles on it and no stalling issues.

pdubois64
07-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Mine stalled for the 1st time ever in a little over a year yesterday when I was at a red light. Was also very hot out 31C.

slvr06CHARGER
07-24-2007, 01:38 PM
so who's gonna call dcx?

dawnscharger
07-24-2007, 01:49 PM
their might be an issue with the alarm system. I had same issue on my blazer...removed the factory installed alarm and problem went away...alarm had an ignition kill built into it and it would activate while driving.

Crow
07-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Even if you could, I wouldn't. Remember your steering wheel should lock as you turn the key to the off position. Unless you can start the car without turning the key all the way out. I know my last car and my dad's BMW both required you to turn the keys completely out after a start.

Pretty sure this function is related only on imports. I remember a VW had this same odd feature, all the way to off, to restart it.

Bones1274
07-24-2007, 09:33 PM
What?!?! That shouldn't be possible. There's a neutral safety switch that is supposed to prevent you from starting the car unless it's in neutral or park.

Best,

I thought so too but it started right up. I remember as I was turning the key and looking at the shifter in drive at the same time, my common sense started screaming in my head but by then it was too late to stop and the car was running again.

I was going straight on the freeway so I never moved the steering wheel. My natural reaction as stated above was to just reach up and restart the car. I did notice that the key was not in the "on" postion. It was in the "acc" postion which had me scratching my head long after I restarted.
As I have posted in previous threads, later that day i determined it was my knee bumping the keys on my key ring when I move my foot back and forth between the pedals or pulling my foot straight back when I set the cruise. While I was on an empty back road with no traffic and at slow speeds, I determined I could bump my keys with my knee at will and turn the ignition to the "acc" position effectively turning off the car.
It only took the car dying on me 4 times to put 2 and 2 together.:knockout: :knockout: :confused:

Enano
07-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Ive been having an issue with a wiring being too close to the exhaust (melted shorted)which is wired to the ignition accessory thingy, that was not fun... got that redone today, hadnt happened since the install months ago and all of a sudden it happened 2 times in the past few weeks, basically when i hit the button for my cutouts the car shut off (not fun on the highway in the left lane goin 70ish) 2 of the highway emergency local patrols (awsome guys in orange coveralls that stop and help people) dudes stop and like flanked my car on the side of the road, unfortunatly they didnt have any fuses on them, so i stole one from my pedal adjuster switch,

ChargeRonDavinS
07-24-2007, 09:41 PM
7500 on the SXT, no issue.

Bones1274
07-24-2007, 09:56 PM
I was going straight on the freeway so I never moved the steering wheel. My natural reaction as stated above was to just reach up and restart the car. I did notice that the key was not in the "on" postion. It was in the "acc" postion which had me scratching my head long after I restarted.
As I have posted in previous threads, later that day i determined it was my knee bumping the keys on my key ring when I move my foot back and forth between the pedals or pulling my foot straight back when I set the cruise. While I was on an empty back road with no traffic and at slow speeds, I determined I could bump my keys with my knee at will and turn the ignition to the "acc" position effectively turning off the car.
It only took the car dying on me 4 times to put 2 and 2 together.:knockout: :knockout: :confused:

As I was writing this post I started to second guess myself and think maybe I did put it in neutral so I decided I better go make sure.
Well, I just did 4 laps around the block and this is what I learned:

1. If the car is at a complete stop, it will not start in drive.

2. As I was going around the block at 10 mph, I turned the key to "acc" which turned off the car. I left the car in drive and while coasting turned the key to run. The car started right back up while rolling down the road. I tried it 3 more times just to make sure it wasnt a fluke. It started right back up each time. The only way I can explain it is it reminded me of push starting a stick shift. A little oomph forward as the engine started up.

3. The only thing I can think of that makes sense is that there is some kind of safety feature built into the computer or tranny that automatically puts the tranny in neutral if the car shuts off while in drive, thus bypassing the neutral safety switch allowing the car to restart in drive without destroying the tranny.

4. If you dont believe me go try it. It will have you scratching your head.:knockout:

5. I am calling the dealership tomorrow to find out if this is supposed to happen or if I just have a "fluke" car.:silenced:

BigQ
07-25-2007, 01:03 PM
to the original poster...what year and model is your car? After reading all these stories about chargers stalling, i keep waiting for the day mine will do the same. So far so good. Had it for 7 months now with 3400 miles on it and no stalling issues.

2006 RT with the road and Track package. 9800 miles.

Maybe just a hemi thing???

Anyway as i suspected the dealer found nothing wrong, but made note of it (whatever that means). So have no idea what to do now except to keep taking it in.:mad:

slvr06CHARGER
07-25-2007, 02:07 PM
thats all they do... take note, and no one solves the problem :(

Neonwheels
08-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Anything ever happen with this? Happened to me today, calling the dealership tomorrow and seeing what they have to say...

BTW: I had no codes, car was still rolling but under 5 MPH and couldn't start in Drive, tossed it in Neutral and it started and drove just fine.

The Tran
08-12-2007, 07:03 PM
i have a SE with 32k..this happened to me about a month or two ago right after filling up. i also topped off as someone else posted.

it just died while driving around forty. i pull over and turn it off, put it in park and turn her on. she kicked on and died immedietely. did it all over again and it was fine.

havent had another problem since. i also dont top off anymore

hiDes
09-02-2007, 10:02 PM
This happened to me just this past Friday. After returning from a long road trip (only had 1/2 tank left), as I'm getting off the highway I accelerated and all of a sudden the car didn't respond. It had shut off, the oil light came on, and the steering got hard. Luckily traffic was light. Glad it didn't happen on the highway at a higher speed. I restarted the car about 10 minutes later, like nothing, everything was perfectly fine. Anyhow, took it to a dealer and they said it was an electrical problem and would order the parts. Apparently they had another car with the same issue about 2 weeks ago.

goval
09-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Ok, this is just fuel to me wanting to trade, lol. The Charger doesn't have lots of problems, but it seems like the ones it have are pretty friggin serious...

MotorCity Muscle
09-02-2007, 10:34 PM
WTF? 14k miles and no hint of even thinking of stalling. or not starting. This is not something I hear on a regular basis on the forums - new to me!

cocobean
09-03-2007, 12:42 AM
Same thing happened to me on th Palisades Parkway. I was hopping on from the on ramp and excellerating slightly into traffic. I had it in auto stick and went from 2nd to 3rd. Suddenly no "juice"...nothing. Luckily there was a State Trooper with someone pulled over just ahead so I coasted behind him. The car would not start when I first tried it. Now a second Trooper pulls up behind me, gets out of his car and asks me whats happening. I told him and then the car started right in front of him. We chatted a minute about the car and how he is gonna get one and the other trooper comes from his car and walks over. He starts asking me questions and the whole dash lights up. The car was in park and stalled. So a couple of minutes of yap, yap, yap and it starts again. Needless to say. quite a traffic jam was happening. My TB Daytona with a Troop car in front and behind had people gawking and making gestures of oh s**t. I put it in drive and got to manhattan with no problesm. And it has never happened again. Car had half a tank so I doubt it had anything to do with that. No idea what the hell it was. Had a 2005 Durango that did it all the time. Got rid of it and bought a Pacifica.

hiDes
09-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Update:

After I was told it was an electrical problem and that they'd be ordering a part to fix it, today they release the car to me, saying they didn't find anything wrong with it, no codes, nothing. Nothing to fix.:angry::(

SupremeG
09-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Thats what I keep hearing, that when ever one of the Chargers stall's that it doesn't even throw a code.

goval
09-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Update:

After I was told it was an electrical problem and that they'd be ordering a part to fix it, today they release the car to me, saying they didn't find anything wrong with it, no codes, nothing. Nothing to fix.:angry::(

Oly sh*t!! Man, I will not be a happy camper if thsi happens to me...

bobbuck555
09-04-2007, 07:46 PM
34k never had a stall issue...I have been in a car that stalled at 55mph..its scary...no power brakes no power steering...not good

BOSChargerRT
09-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Update:

i don't understand? they told you that they new what the problem was and that another charger was there with the same issue, why would they now say it's fixed. is it because the problem didn't reoccur or they actualy fixed it? why wouldn't they just replace the part regardless? sucks! later - jimmy

hiDes
09-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Oly sh*t!! Man, I will not be a happy camper if thsi happens to me...

Yeah, no Sh*t! At this point I am happy to consider a camper...... (well,not really).

i don't understand? they told you that they new what the problem was and that another charger was there with the same issue, why would they now say it's fixed. is it because the problem didn't reoccur or they actualy fixed it? why wouldn't they just replace the part regardless? sucks! later - jimmy

Yeah, don't know why some asswipe told me that then, and now the others are saying "no problems". Makes you wonder. Then they try to make you feel better by sharing their own Dodge sob stories how they've all had a dodge at some point or another that did that same crap. Yeah, whatever, they can feed that BS to someone else. :smoke:

Curz
09-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Yeah, no Sh*t! At this point I am happy to consider a camper...... (well,not really).

Yeah, don't know why some asswipe told me that then, and now the others are saying "no problems". Makes you wonder. Then they try to make you feel better by sharing their own Dodge sob stories how they've all had a dodge at some point or another that did that same crap. Yeah, whatever, they can feed that BS to someone else. :smoke:

man, I just love it when she talks like that :smoke:

goval
09-05-2007, 08:44 PM
man, I just love it when she talks like that :smoke:

Hahaha! word!:grin:

Good luck HiDes. Hope it won't happen again.

alex3dworld
09-07-2007, 11:14 AM
same thing happen to me, only 1100 miles
cornering in a parking garage entrance, oil icon appear and the complete car shut down,
maybe with a millionare sue for an accident they will recall all the cars back.
who go first?

doublescharger
09-11-2007, 01:28 PM
alex the same thing happened to me. not sure of the milage but it was early like that way before 5K. Lately it just loses RPMs and Batt. Volts go down but the car corrects itself. Dealer cant find any problems after two trips. Oh and it doesnt do it when the A/C is on.

realorc
09-12-2007, 12:55 AM
Had the problem happen twice in the past 30 days. Most recently was today. No errorcodes. This has to be a common recurring problem with this many reported instances.
Both times happened in our driveway when the car was being straighten out, in reverse, maybe close to full lock, and over a slight bump in the concrete.

First time it happened was with my brother driving and he told me he heard like something grind from the engine area (maybe) and the engine just shutoff.
That was almost a month ago. Today, I'm doing nearly the exact same thing as him and the engine just shuts off and oil light comes on. Car restarted fine but it wouldn't move in drive, I had to switch to neutral or reverse and then power got back to the wheels.

Only change in my car recently was an oil change, not at the dealership. Did ESP Mod a long time ago. I took pictures of the transmission and it looks like there was a slight leak, nothing more than a few drops. It could even look like some other oil/grease leaked down from the engine area. Anyone think it's a problem with the transmission? Maybe some problem occurs (trans or ecu) while a gear is engaged, the engine is about to stalls and disengages with the transmission so parts down start dropping down from beneath our cars.

chrisdridley
09-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Got my first stall today in my '07 R/T. I have 20243 miles on the clock.
I was going 78 mph with the cruise set on the interstate and suddenly the oil light comes on and I have no power. I coasted to a stop in the breakdown lane, put the car in P, turned the key and it started right up. I drove another 300 miles today without a problem. I had about a half a tank of fuel and had not fueled up since Friday.
My '06 SXT with over 50k miles never stalled.....
Does anyone know of a fix for this yet??????
This ain't funny on the interstate!!!

hiDes
09-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Got my first stall today in my '07 R/T. I have 20243 miles on the clock.
I was going 78 mph with the cruise set on the interstate and suddenly the oil light comes on and I have no power. I coasted to a stop in the breakdown lane, put the car in P, turned the key and it started right up. I drove another 300 miles today without a problem. I had about a half a tank of fuel and had not fueled up since Friday.
My '06 SXT with over 50k miles never stalled.....
Does anyone know of a fix for this yet??????
This ain't funny on the interstate!!!

That's the first I see it happen at a higher speed. That was my worry, hadn't seen it happen to anyone til now.

Wonder why it's only in the R/T's?

MuscleMan305
09-22-2007, 04:41 PM
That's the first I see it happen at a higher speed. That was my worry, hadn't seen it happen to anyone til now.

Ijust bought my R/t last week and drove it for about 450 miles no probs until i removed the middle suitcase muffler and 2 days later it happened as i was cruing in a parking lot at 5 mph, suddenly the power steering and brakes got hard and it stalled. How many people who had this prob had exhaust work done? maybe its the problem

Bones1274
09-22-2007, 06:32 PM

As posted in my earlier threads, I have had it die 4 times at freeway speeds around 80 mph. I found that it was safer to just restart it in drive then try to coast to the breakdown lane. That way there was no trying to maneuver or change lanes with a locked steering wheel.

hiDes
09-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Ijust bought my R/t last week and drove it for about 450 miles no probs until i removed the middle suitcase muffler and 2 days later it happened as i was cruing in a parking lot at 5 mph, suddenly the power steering and brakes got hard and it stalled. How many people who had this prob had exhaust work done? maybe its the problem

Nope, no exhaust work done, yet.

As posted in my earlier threads, I have had it die 4 times at freeway speeds around 80 mph. I found that it was safer to just restart it in drive then try to coast to the breakdown lane. That way there was no trying to maneuver or change lanes with a locked steering wheel.

Sounds good, I'll keep that in mind, but pray it won't be neccessary. Good luck with that.

daveaz
09-23-2007, 08:31 AM
Happened to me. Was driving on the highway, exited, pulled into a parking lot, and the oil light came on, car died. I was able to restart and pull out of the way. Oil was full and clean. Im wondering and hoping if it is just a sensor. By the way, got an RT 2007, 4k miles. What have you guys done bout this, dealer did any repairs etc.?

chrisdridley
09-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Finally had a chance to take my R/T to the dealer on Friday for the engine stall that occured on Monday. There were no error codes but I insisted a call to Chrysler was made. They kept my car in the bay with 2 tech on it for over 3 hours, all the while on the phone and computer. When they finished with it, the service ticket said "Filled Fluid". At least the issue is doccumented.
I have a 3 day, 2000 mile run this week so we'll see what happens.
And btw, No exhaust mods either.

nofear18
09-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Same thing happened once to me with my 06 Mustang... weird huh

holeydonut
09-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Just to add to this thread - my car died while on the freeway over Labor Day Weekend. I was on I80 going 80mph and then blammo... engine cuts out. When I pulled over and attempted to restart, nothing (and by nothing, I mean the starter didn't even try to turn) happened when I turned the key. About 2 minutes of just sitting on the side of the road passed and then my car started when I turned the key. The car died again about 1 mile up the road.

I had the car towed to a Dodge dealer since I wasn't wanting to put up with this random stalling at freeway speeds. They said my car had maybe 20 or more error codes stored. They "reset" my computer and dumped the codes. The car started up fine and has been running okay since then as well.

Electrical problems are the worst... I may sell this car before the Warranty ends so I don't get boned.

chrisdridley
09-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Car cut off again today while driving at interstate speed.
I had the cruise set at 80 and, when entering a construction zone with a 55 mph speed limit, I cut the cruise off and let the car coast down to 55. At about 60 the engine cut off just as the interstate went down to one lane.
I put the car in neutral and turned the key and the engine started right up.
My speed had decreased to about 30mph by the time I got the car re-started with heavy merging traffic from two lanes to one lane with concrete walls on either side...this was a bad place for this to happen.
I had 3/4 tank of gas. The outside temp was 94 degrees.
We gotta find a fix for this...this is gonna get ugly.

holeydonut
09-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Car cut off again today while driving at interstate speed.
I had the cruise set at 80 and, when entering a construction zone with a 55 mph speed limit, I cut the cruise off and let the car coast down to 55. At about 60 the engine cut off just as the interstate went down to one lane.
I put the car in neutral and turned the key and the engine started right up.
My speed had decreased to about 30mph by the time I got the car re-started with heavy merging traffic from two lanes to one lane with concrete walls on either side...this was a bad place for this to happen.
I had 3/4 tank of gas. The outside temp was 94 degrees.
We gotta find a fix for this...this is gonna get ugly.

Do you have the EVIC? Do that trick where you park your car and then turn the key to the ACC mode (don't turn so far as to engage the starter). If you do this 3 times in rapid succession you will see the most recent error codes displayed (they are displayed as P-Codes).

Look up P-Codes here: http://www.iequus.com/support/obd2_definitions.php

My car (when it was having the error) showed a throttle position sensor error, a engine fan error, and a second throttle error. But they "reset" the ECU and there have been no errors since.

chrisdridley
09-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the tip.
The dealer cleared the error codes on Friday and today, I have no error codes....

holeydonut
09-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I bet they "fix" the problem each time so you can never lemon-law the car if it keeps stalling out.... I mean "stalling" isn't a severe enough problem unless it "stalls" out while you're braking for an exit ramp and you go flying into a tree. At that point, they'd just blame you for not being able to drive since a totalled car cannot be analyzed for warranty repair.

Did the dealer tell you what codes it found or how many error codes? I'm interested to know if we both have the same problem (where we get a slew of random codes and then the car dies)

SkiBuff
09-27-2007, 02:42 PM
My '06 Daytona stalled for the first time since it bought it. It has 34,000 miles on it. I was pulling into a convenience store yesterday and just as I was straightening the car after the turn into the lot the car stalled. I attempted to restart the car before it stopped drifting and forgot to take it out of 'Drive'. As an earlier poster reported the car started right up in 'Drive' and I had no further problems. No codes were thrown as seems to be par for the course. The warranty is up in 2000 miles so I'm taking it to the dealer just to document the fact that there is a problem. It would be nice if the car would just die and not restart so they can identify the problem, but judging from all the posts I've read that won't happen.

realorc
09-29-2007, 10:39 PM
I bet DCX would be all over the problem, if it happens to the police pkg Chargers in a middle of an OJ Simpson style pursuit.

nightstalker2
09-29-2007, 11:41 PM
mine did
not turn off, but it was going 70 mph and it started to coast I bump it to neutral and drive a few times and it corrected itself. This seems to be something with the transmission. I will talked to the dealer and then we owners shall collectly contact the ntsb, if anyone has any better suggestions or question please advise.

gilgamesh84
10-02-2007, 09:10 PM
my rt has been stalling on the road off and on now for awhile. i would be accelerating and then bam, i wont be able to accelerate anymore and i am stuck going the speed i am at, and decelerating on the freeway. well my rt finally started to **** the fan because it was like everyother day it would stall on me causing some dangerous situations. i took the rt to the dealer and they said they found some transmission error codes and that they took it to the transmission shop at dodge to see what the errors are, they didnt call me back today so i will have to find out tomorrow, this problem is so elusive because my rt would stall, i would turn off and then on my engine and it would be fine, except the electronic malfunction light would be on. i would take it to the dealer the next day but when i start up the rt, the light is freakn gone, took it to the dealer who could find no codes... till now that is, first time they give me some bogus reason why it happened and they just reseted the computor, guess dodge dealers needs near death situations to happen to you before they take you serious, i hope this fixes the prob, my rts got about 35000 miles and its a 06' charger rt, only got the k&n intake, guess just keep taking it to the dealer to get it fixed would be my advice, although, i waited till my car almost killed me 3 days in a row to finally take her in to the dealer, lol, hope all works out for me and anyone else having this prob. i will keep you all updated.

TORRED#1416
10-03-2007, 07:36 PM
It happened once in the spring after an hour and a half drive...throw it in neutral, restart and it hasn't happened since.

gilgamesh84
10-04-2007, 07:28 PM
got my car back from the shop, they said that the trans fluid was low caused by a leaking connector causing the check engine light to come on with DTC P0730, when DTC is set TCM will automatically shift transmission into neutral gear. They said that might have been what i was experiencing. hopefully this helps you guys, i know one person said they thought their transmision fluid was leaking, you could have the same prob. I havent had the prob since i got my car back yesterday but i got my fingers crossed.

hiDes
10-31-2007, 11:34 AM
Well, it did it again, this time, though, while I was stopped at a traffic light. I did notice that both times this happened it had been raining. WOnder if it's a glitch due to water somehow slipping in? Did this happen to any of you on a rainy day?

realorc
11-01-2007, 08:54 PM
For me, both times happened on dry days.

NightMare R/T
11-01-2007, 10:17 PM
That Cr*p Happened To Me In A Parking Lot At A Stopsign An I Got The Same "no Idea Sir Sorry For The Inconvience" From The Dealer Around 13k When It Happened Mods Are Airraid Cold Air Shaker Ram Air To Feed The Airade And Exhause But I Bought It Used So Idk If The Previous Owner Used A Sc Tuner Or Sumthing

AlphaW0lf
11-01-2007, 11:03 PM
I have had the same stalling problem, I pulled Fuse 11, and have yet to have the problem again, it has something to do with resetting the PCM

realorc
11-02-2007, 08:24 PM
I do have a SC 91 octane tune.
Did anyone stall without ever using Superchips or Predator?

hiDes
11-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Mines stock and it shut off twice.

alex3dworld
11-29-2007, 03:49 PM
my rt 07 stalled three more times, four times in total 4k miles now.
i'm going to the dealer this saturday with a copy of this forum thread, let's see what can they find, my girlfriend is really freakout about the posibility to stall in middle of the highway. i'm living in florida, miami, really hot.
i'm wondering if the hot weather and temperature in general is causing the problem, i think that i have the record of stalls, four in 4k miles.

Drumbum
12-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Happened to me. Was driving on the highway, exited, pulled into a parking lot, and the oil light came on, car died. I was able to restart and pull out of the way. Oil was full and clean. Im wondering and hoping if it is just a sensor. By the way, got an RT 2007, 4k miles. What have you guys done bout this, dealer did any repairs etc.?

My new R/t did the exact same thing, going slow but on a winding moutainside road. 2007 R/T with about 4K when it happened also!

RunningBull
12-03-2007, 08:45 PM
on occasion mine had hard starts
also it gut off while pulling in the driveway
this has only occurred once so far.

Rocket67
12-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Is anyone on this board good at writing legal documents? I would make the dealer sign an acknowledgement that they are sending you out without repairing the issue. If they refuse to sign it then make sure it's documented in the paperwork exactly what it was brought in for and the diagnosis by the dealer. Just because this doesn't throw a code doesn't mean that it won't kill someone. This is typical of a large corporation, they weigh only the costs. If it's cheaper to settle a few lawsuits then they will just let a few die so that they don't have to fix it. Unfortunately it's the consumer that suffers and in the end the company has to recall the product anyway.

DODGE!! Do not let people die!

I was thinking about getting a 2008 R/T for my wife but after hearing about this I would rather not. She has to drive in heavy traffic in the morning and I don't want her freaking out over something like this happening.

slvr06CHARGER
12-05-2007, 05:14 AM
mine too has been having hard starts lately
when turning the car on with the mopar remote starter it stalls at times then it turns back on by itself
and stalled again tonight when i was parking at my house, temp was about 68F, i was datalogging with the predator but everything seems to be normal, even batt voltage.

and has done this with stock pcm, superchips and predator you name it

Rocket67
12-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Is anyone on this board good at writing legal documents? I would make the dealer sign an acknowledgement that they are sending you out without repairing the issue. If they refuse to sign it then make sure it's documented in the paperwork exactly what it was brought in for and the diagnosis by the dealer. Just because this doesn't throw a code doesn't mean that it won't kill someone. This is typical of a large corporation, they weigh only the costs. If it's cheaper to settle a few lawsuits then they will just let a few die so that they don't have to fix it. Unfortunately it's the consumer that suffers and in the end the company has to recall the product anyway.

DODGE!! Do not let people die!

I was thinking about getting a 2008 R/T for my wife but after hearing about this I would rather not. She has to drive in heavy traffic in the morning and I don't want her freaking out over something like this happening.

I checked with a co-worker that has a Charger and he has been trouble free for 40K miles. I guess this is a random problem....gonna go ahead and roll the dice on a R/T and see how it works. I have notified my wife of the posisible problem and instructed her on what to do. Lets see what happens. Hope I get lucky!!

Joerotty
12-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Hi guys ,new to this forum just picked up an 07 RT R&T .
Just a thought but could it be that the Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System is somehow recognizing your keys as being fakes thus shutting the engine off like it was meant to do? is somehow reading the

Diesel
12-07-2007, 05:30 AM
I bought my 2007 Charger this past August ( 07 ) and i was leaving home and the car sat all day. I turned the corner and my car died. I was like "hmm" so i put it in nutural and started it and drove right to the dealer and told them what happened 10 mins later car came back and they said " It's not throwing any codes, unforunitly we'll have to wait till it gets worse or more frequant " "I said Bull !@#$", it did it twice something is wrong FIX it. They swore up and down they can't find a rymer reason as to why it's doing it. It hasn't done it again but I agree if all of us are having problems with it something is most def wrong with it.

Scott
12-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Yeeup, happened to me yesterday, cruising at 75, got off at exit stopped at stop sign, moved forward across two lanes (waiting on traffic) went to go again and the car shut off, oil light on, put in neutral started right up gave it gas and it just revved like it was in neutral for about 3 seconds then it went with no problems, Drove home and to work, about 250 miles so far no problems. 07 R/T, HEMI, EVIC build date 06/07, 7000 miles and totally stock.

hiDes
12-10-2007, 11:04 AM
I bought my 2007 Charger this past August ( 07 ) and i was leaving home and the car sat all day. I turned the corner and my car died. I was like "hmm" so i put it in nutural and started it and drove right to the dealer and told them what happened 10 mins later car came back and they said " It's not throwing any codes, unforunitly we'll have to wait till it gets worse or more frequant " "I said Bull !@#$", it did it twice something is wrong FIX it. They swore up and down they can't find a rymer reason as to why it's doing it. It hasn't done it again but I agree if all of us are having problems with it something is most def wrong with it.

Yep, took mine again and same thing, not throwing any codes. They said there used to be another car with the same issue years back (non-charger) and when it happened enough times, Dodge came up with a software to fix it, but I guess til there are more of these incidents they won't do anything.

mgn0528
12-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Had this happen to me today coming into work. I have to do a U-turn at a light to get to my building and the drive is about 300 feet from the light. As I was slowing down to pull into the driveway the car just shut off. First time this has happened.

Crow
12-10-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm wondering if the cam shaft sensor is crap. Ford has a recall on this same issue.

chargerhemi08
12-10-2007, 10:47 PM
have not had that problem in my srt-8 and i hope i never do!! Has anybodys srt-8 done this?

chargerhemi08
12-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Now that im thinking about it that happened to me in my dodge ram daytona when i was backing up out the drive way in the mornings.it happened several times, i had a superchips programer on it so i took it off and have not had a problem since. .

Rales
12-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Well to add to this, my 08 Charger that just turned 3400 miles quit last night going about 5 mph turning onto my road, oil light came on and lost all power, had to stop the vehicle to restart, neutral wouldnt work to restart. The car goes in on the 17th for the complimentry first check up, this will be documented!

hiDes
12-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Well, it did it again, 3rd time. It's done it once, every other month (first time in August). Shut off while waiting at the traffic light, right after I pulled off the highway. This is starting to get old fast!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Did it yesterday (as stated above) and did it again today. Now it's a total of 4 times.:mad:

deem0nessa
12-16-2007, 02:08 AM
Just wondering for those with this issue

are you all running the stock tstat?

bdotjones
12-16-2007, 04:59 PM
i had this happen to my charger r/t about three times...then i took it to the dealer and they said the fuel line system was clogged/dirty...they cleaned it and I havent had it happen since then

slvr07hemi
12-17-2007, 09:16 PM
I was supposed to pick up my car from the dealer for stalling again. This is the third time since I bought the car in July. They told us the first time was because of both petals being pressed at the same time. The second time was something in the shifting mechanism, this time number three they found nothing. Is this a hemi problem or are all chargers involved with this problem.

Diesel
12-18-2007, 04:43 AM
I'm stock EVERYTHING! Must be something wrong somewhere. Like Crow said hopefully they will find a cure for this SOOOOOOOON! cause it's going to kill someone eventually.

CooKie MonsteR
12-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Guys, we've been having a lot of reports about this at work. Same symptoms as all of you. Now, I have a question. Have any of you gotten flashed with the flash that ends in AJ and still had the problem? They should have put a sticker under your hood to indicate your flash version. Thanks.

slvr07hemi
12-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Well picked it up today of course they can't find anything wrong with it because it isn't throwing any codes. I also have the ping noise that others have talked about in another chat. I was told if in the area when it acts up bring it in.
What is the flash?
I love my car but I love my kids more either they figure it out quick or I lemon it.

hiDes
12-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Guys, we've been having a lot of reports about this at work. Same symptoms as all of you. Now, I have a question. Have any of you gotten flashed with the flash that ends in AJ and still had the problem? They should have put a sticker under your hood to indicate your flash version. Thanks.

Don't know what that is. Is that something that comes up when they check for errors?

I'm thinking that maybe they don't find any errors cuz once we start up the car the errors do clear. Maybe if the car is towed without turning key to off position, if checked then maybe a code will show?

greergan
12-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Mine shut off once at a stop light and then again the other day when playing in the snow a little. Dunno if the two incidents are related but it kinda freaked me out both times.

The second time in the snow the check engine light came on...didn't find any codes via the predator and it took a couple of restarts for the light to go out....hmmmm.

slvr06CHARGER
12-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Don't know what that is. Is that something that comes up when they check for errors?

I'm thinking that maybe they don't find any errors cuz once we start up the car the errors do clear. Maybe if the car is towed without turning key to off position, if checked then maybe a code will show?

he is talking about the PCM version, a flash is an update to the car's PCM, you should ask your dealer to do it.

my car has stalled with the stock tstat, and my 180 tstat.

never heard of a SRT stalling, i was thinking that maybe someone should ask the srt guys if dcx is aware of this problem, but as i never heard of a srt stalling probably they gonna ask if its a srt problem and when we tell them there are no 6.1 guys reports then they gonna ignore us.

CooKie MonsteR
12-20-2007, 08:22 AM
The reason I'm asking is because Chrysler told us at work that the "AJ" flash was supposed to cure this issue. However, we flashed our latest R/T that entered with this problem, and he came back three days later with the same description. Now, I'm wondering if he has a new problem, or if the flash just didn't work. I'd love to see you guys go to your dealers and request the newest flash, and then report back. But, from Chrysler, it's supposed to eliminate this "stall"

BraveHeart
12-20-2007, 02:28 PM
sorry to have this be my first post here, but after reading 10 pages of this i'm haveing second thoughts about trading my caliber in for a charger.

chargerkitten
12-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Hello fellow charger lovers,

I just bought an 08 black charger last week and i stopped at a stop light. When the light turned green and i stepped on the gas, i didn't go anywhere..i didn't even hear it rev up...so i turned it off and restarted and bam....like it never happened....called the dealership, the manager and he told me that he has two chargers and when we brake too hard or cut a corner too hard, it is a killswitch that activates to stop gasoline from flowing in case of an accident or something like that.......he also said that some of them are a little too sensitive...but my question is this: if i brake too hard or hit a corner too hard, these aren't sissy cars, they are meant to be driven hard and fast...So what the hell is he talkin' about? Hope that helped and i love my KITTEN by the way.....Will post picks once i get my grille and candy pink rally stripes. check out my myspace @ myspace.com/shayboogie2

MIAMI BEACH
12-20-2007, 03:59 PM
sorry to have this be my first post here, but after reading 10 pages of this i'm haveing second thoughts about trading my caliber in for a charger.

X2

I was planning to put my 2000 C.V.P.I. up for sale and buy a Hemi Charger but having second thoughts after reading all this.

hiDes
12-20-2007, 04:26 PM

X2

I was planning to put my 2000 C.V.P.I. up for sale and buy a Hemi Charger but having second thoughts after reading all this.

Don't have second thoughts, just go for the SRT. From what I see just on this thread alone it's only the 5.7 R/T's that have this issue. I have not heard of any SRT's having this issue.

goMANgo259
12-20-2007, 04:51 PM
happened to me 3 days ago... so far its happened twice. both times it happened i was slowing down, so i think that has something to do w/ it

Gabe
12-20-2007, 07:06 PM
X2

I've never had this happen, the car's been awesome for over 6,000 miles ... i had to have the tires rebalanced and the front rotors replaced due to warping but other than that, car's awesome !

BraveHeart
12-20-2007, 07:11 PM
I've never had this happen, the car's been awesome for over 6,000 miles ... i had to have the tires rebalanced and the front rotors replaced due to warping but other than that, car's awesome !

Well owning a charger has been on my list of things to do since i was 12, so i guess i'll have to pray they come out with something to fix this problem cause i'm going to get one anyway. lol

Don't have second thoughts, just go for the SRT. From what I see just on this thread alone it's only the 5.7 R/T's that have this issue. I have not heard of any SRT's having this issue.

If i can find a SRT in the low 20k range i'd take it, but it looks like the R/T will have to do.

CooKie MonsteR
12-21-2007, 10:59 AM
You guys that are having second thoughts...you do realize that there are thousands and thousands of R/Ts on the road right? And that there are thousands of members on this forum...and you're getting discouraged from a 10 page thread? It isn't happening to every single R/T...It never happened to CooKie MonsteR..and God knows I drove the crap outta him lol..

silverhemi07
12-22-2007, 09:04 AM
I had this happen only twice to me with my 07 r/t since I bought the car 10 months ago. Unless it throws a code (engine light on) its impossible to find the root cause. Its never happend at cruising speeds only sitting at a stop light. Taking it to the dearlership found nothing and of course could not get it to happen again while it was there. I wish they could have found a problem but the last occurance happended two months ago. Love the car, not going to trade it in anytime soon. good luck

R1ZOOM
12-24-2007, 09:12 AM
My police package was doing this a lot too, mainly when I'd slow down to a stop or near stop then start going again...or should I say attempt to start going. It hasn't done it in quite a while though.

MIAMI BEACH
12-24-2007, 09:44 PM
You guys that are having second thoughts...you do realize that there are thousands and thousands of R/Ts on the road right? And that there are thousands of members on this forum...and you're getting discouraged from a 10 page thread? It isn't happening to every single R/T...It never happened to CooKie MonsteR..and God knows I drove the crap outta him lol..

CooKie MonsteR is correct.All of the R/T Charger people I spoke 2 in South Florida love their Charger.The only complaint was having to do the brakes at 10k miles on a few of them.South Florida is loaded with Chargers and with the 300c.In fact I haven't came across anyone complaining about any of the Chargers whether its the 3.5 or the Hemi.

After the 1st of the year I will be looking for a R/T.

Klavier
12-25-2007, 04:10 PM
I went to the in-laws last night to pick up some things, car had been sitting for about 10 minutes not running when I went to leave I started the car and then put it in drive, nothing. It was dead. So I restart it, dead, 4 times same results.
Then I turn the key... nothing, get a volt light on the dash. try again, nothing. Pop the hood and check the under hood fuses. Nothing.Shut the hood and try once more before I call the hook. Started up and ran fine. No problems yet but let me be the one to eat a tractor trailer because there is "nothing wrong" with my car and I will trade up for a free of charge Viper. And maybe Mega Cab too.

blackspeeddevil
12-26-2007, 03:28 PM
i had this happened to me last night on the wifes sxt... i posted this on another thread........

okay guys i need held with my car.. when my car is on and when i turn on my parking lamps, the emergency brake light, esp bas and abs light come on for like a second... it does this everytime i turn on the lights. it also does it sometimes when i put it in drive.. last night i left my house and all those three lights came on and stayed on and wouldnt come off..i was like WTF.. also the car would not change out of 1st gear.. the speedometer stayed at zero while the rpms went up to 3500.. then my car turned off and when i tried to start it up it wouldn't start.. it did this twice to me.. should i take it to the dealer to get it checked or is there a fix to this.. please help and info would be really appreciated

striker071
12-27-2007, 12:52 AM
Well for Blackspeeddevil I would say this... YES take it to a dealer... that is a short of some kind in my opinion. next step would be an exorcism... what did you expect with a name like that....lol

slvr06CHARGER
12-27-2007, 07:27 AM
i had this happened to me last night on the wifes sxt... i posted this on another thread........

okay guys i need held with my car.. when my car is on and when i turn on my parking lamps, the emergency brake light, esp bas and abs light come on for like a second... it does this everytime i turn on the lights. it also does it sometimes when i put it in drive.. last night i left my house and all those three lights came on and stayed on and wouldnt come off..i was like WTF.. also the car would not change out of 1st gear.. the speedometer stayed at zero while the rpms went up to 3500.. then my car turned off and when i tried to start it up it wouldn't start.. it did this twice to me.. should i take it to the dealer to get it checked or is there a fix to this.. please help and info would be really appreciated

not the same issue and never heard of that, but definitely take it to the dealer hope its still under warranty

blackspeeddevil
12-27-2007, 02:57 PM
thanks guys.. i have an appointment with the dealer next wednesday on the 2nd. i got this code... 0121 the code means- Lost Communication With Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module or No communication with the ABS (CAN)

472CHARGER
01-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Chargers been dying out every so often. I just restart it in neutral while it's rolling, throw it in drive, wait for the short delay of the tranny engaging, then PUNCH IT!

1157_Plum
01-05-2008, 11:08 AM
I have had my 07' daytona charger for exactly seven days now ... can anyone guess why I'm posting in this thread? :fuming:

I have almost exactly 1100 miles (it had 20 when I bought it) on my purple pleaser ... the vast majority of those have been highway miles ... I am NOT hard on my baby ... and it stalled/died out on me this morning while I went around a corner in a residential area here in Florida ... speed was, at max, 15 mph.

Poof ... middle of my turn, it died. I nearly wrecked my brand new baby as I had one hell of a time turning and braking. By the way, I'm disabled and have no use of my right arm/shoulder ... so struggling to turn that beast without power steering was a CHORE.

I avoided hitting anything and once it came to a stop, I tossed it into N, flipped the key and it started right up. I put it in R to back out of the person's yard I was half-way in, but it didn't engage the transmission (or something). I slapped it into N again and then back into R and it started backing up no problems.

I drove it back to my friend's house (where I'm staying at the moment), and we took it for a test drive to try and recreate the problem as it wasn't showing any dummy lights (the only codes I know to look for ;) ). I thought I heard an odd 'ping' type of sound a few times, but can't be entirely sure if that was my unfamiliarity with the car or my fears getting the best of me.

I'm heading to the local dealership in just a few minutes and I'll report back what they do and do not say ...

smokey
01-05-2008, 05:38 PM
I was at a dealership last week and a guy who had a brand new blue bee had the same problem and come to find out it was a sensor....just dont get discouraged...thats the beauty of a new car...

1157_Plum
01-05-2008, 09:24 PM
I have an appointment early Tuesday morning with the service department at a nearby dealership so they can try and figure out what caused it.

I've driven quite a bit today and it hasn't happened again ... cross your fingers.

I'll update when I hear anything at all from them.

1157_Plum
01-06-2008, 03:29 AM
First of all, I want to apologize for the double post.

Secondly, I have new news: the car died again tonight (or this morning, depending on your viewpoint). I drove the car fairly hard tonight, harder than I have since buying the thing. It ran great and ate several lesser pieces of machinery for a late night snack. Having said that, I would like to add that Orlando has one of the weakest 'racing' scenes I have ever seen or heard of.

Someone needs to explain to the kiddies that a fart cannon does not a fast car make. :no:

After several hours of eating random scrap-heaps, my poor, poor car decided that it would shut down at a light (on my way home and not moving thankfully). I put it in N and it started up right away and I put it in drive and it engaged the transmission and home I went. No other issues after that.

I'm really not sure if by pushing the car harder, I caused it to repeat such a travesty ... but I know that Tuesday morning will not be a good day for the local service manager at the dodge dealership. I have almost this whole thread printed out and am carrying it in the car. I will place it in front of them and tell them plainly that they need to find and/or fix any problems that might be arising.

I'm trying to make this post light-hearted, but in actuality ... I'm very upset. I have fallen in love with that beautiful car and I HATE the thought of something being that seriously wrong with it.

Anyways, I just thought that I would share my latest frustrations ...

Joerotty
01-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Almost happened to me a few times today.The first time was when I was at a light and the RPM kind of went down like she wanted to die but she slowly shook back to normal so I put the EVIC on showing the oil pressure and drove off.The next few lights she was at it again only a bit worse,my headlights started to fade a bit and the RPM dropped well below 500 and the oil pressure dropped as well.Car never died but had a huge noticable shake.My wife even asked me if I was messing with the car causing it to tremble that much.
I must say I did fill up at a different gas station than usual and the car had been out in the rain.

1157_Plum
01-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Almost happened to me a few times today.The first time was when I was at a light and the RPM kind of went down like she wanted to die but she slowly shook back to normal so I put the EVIC on showing the oil pressure and drove off.The next few lights she was at it again only a bit worse,my headlights started to fade a bit and the RPM dropped well below 500 and the oil pressure dropped as well.Car never died but had a huge noticable shake.My wife even asked me if I was messing with the car causing it to tremble that much.
I must say I did fill up at a different gas station than usual and the car had been out in the rain.

I think that your problem is different than the majority that have posted in this thread. My problem isn't that the engine chugs or anything, it is that something 'shuts off' the engine somewhat randomly.

It has happened three times to me and there was no warning of any kind. It happens even while you are pressing the gas!

Anyways, I just got back and thought that I would update my situation: I spent the entire day at the Dodge dealership and the only thing that I learned was that the "PCM needs to be updated/flashed" and that "we are still unable to do that as the Chrysler website is down".

The service rep asked me five or six times if I wanted to go home and reschedule or if I wanted to wait and see if the site would come up. Dumb question, really ... I drove all the way over here to get my car fixed. I've been waiting all day to get my car fixed. Why in the world would I want to go home and come back and start all over on another day??

Eventually, he wore me down (by virtually saying that even if the site came up I still wouldn't have my car today) so I drove it back home. I'm going to get the number for Chrysler and talk to one of their customer reps ... I'm pretty pissed.

Bottom line: I wasted all day, found out next to nothing, and have to go back again tomorrow and try again. :mad:

alex3dworld
01-08-2008, 04:00 PM
i thinks there is not solution for this problem yet, they have to know what is happening, i made my own solution, based in my own experience.
i notice for example my car always stall in hot weather, sunny days, mostly on low rpms, idle waiting for light changes.
so it give me the feeling (i know nothing about mechanics) that my car is actualy making the wrong mix of air fuel or the sensors are under this hot weather giving the wrong numbers to the cpu.
if i take the car to the dealer they are going to conect their computer and make the diagnostic in other conditions, it wont stall.
so i put a bigger lungs to my beast (headers) bigger nouse (CAI) errased the middle class family way to think to my car (diablo predator)
and now is a really low class bad boy M***...
no more stalls
remember with the diablo you can raise your idle rpms in parking or driving, it wont stall anymore
hope you follow me to the dark side
lol

slvr06CHARGER
01-08-2008, 04:14 PM

that has happened to me too, two times so far, different issue i assume since the headlights dimmed and interior lights flickered on mine, it seems more of an electrical problem, but mine did stall like the other times when no flickering or dimming was present.
:(
ok back on topic :grin:

slvr06CHARGER
01-08-2008, 04:25 PM
i thinks there is not solution for this problem yet, they have to know what is happening, i made my own solution, based in my own experience.
i notice for example my car always stall in hot weather, sunny days, mostly on low rpms, idle waiting for light changes.
so it give me the feeling (i know nothing about mechanics) that my car is actualy making the wrong mix of air fuel or the sensors are under this hot weather giving the wrong numbers to the cpu.
if i take the car to the dealer they are going to conect their computer and make the diagnostic in other conditions, it wont stall.
so i put a bigger lungs to my beast (headers) bigger nouse (CAI) errased the middle class family way to think to my car (diablo predator)
and now is a really low class bad boy M***...
no more stalls
remember with the diablo you can raise your idle rpms in parking or driving, it wont stall anymore
hope you follow me to the dark side
lol

i have a bunch of mods and it still stalls, it has done it stock, and programed with both sc or predator. :sick:

1157_Plum
01-08-2008, 06:38 PM
I was told that the problem lies in the PCM. They are going to 'update' mine in the morning ... or replace it.

All I can do is HOPE that they are right and not just doing a 'token' fix.

Wish me luck,

xoxoDREWoxox
01-09-2008, 04:21 PM
I just bought this car on Saturday to replace my 98 Camaro that was totaled in an accident... this was my baby. Love the Chargers though... got pretty irritated last night when I drop off a friend, pull back on the road and then lose all power... steering locked, brakes locked, and the oil light came on. Taking it back to the dealership tonight to leave for them to figure out throughout the weekend. Totally bummed to start out in my new car this way. It's an 07 that has 11,000 miles on it.... pretty as hell, but this issue is going to get old fast....

huskerjock
01-10-2008, 12:01 PM
First of all I thought that the Transmisson leaks were bad but I figured that i'd live with it. But now these stories of their chargers stalling is terrible. I still want a charger but i'm almost reconsidering my decision. WFT is going on???

friedo82
01-10-2008, 01:18 PM
I had my charger since new and it has 40,000 miles on it now, it has never sputtered or stalled. Its an 06 Daytona.

slvr06CHARGER
01-10-2008, 01:21 PM
so far its the only worry i have with this car, but i definitely would buy one again its not like it does it every day

Crow
01-10-2008, 09:48 PM
I had my charger since new and it has 40,000 miles on it now, it has never sputtered or stalled. Its an 06 Daytona.

06 R/T w/RT 20K miles......has never stalled since new.

mazen97
01-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Guys is there any updates on the guys who flashed the PCM??

I think this is an important thread and I hope it is getting updated until this problem is resolved by Dodge.

johnsl40
01-15-2008, 10:45 AM
happened to me a couple of times since I bought the car "brand new" 08-26-07. I noticed it happens while my gas tank is almost on empty. the oil light comes on,brakes get hard, & steering wheel locks up. took the hemi to my dealership everytime it stalls. the service manager told me everytime it happens, "let the car sit there than call an tow truck ".

xoxoDREWoxox
01-15-2008, 06:06 PM

I think this is an important thread and I hope it is getting updated until this problem is resolved by Dodge.

Just picked up my car yesterday morning and their solution to my car stalling was to flash the PCM. They told me that they have had other vehicles with this same problem and this was how they took care of them. So far she is runnin great, better than before even. We shall see how this goes!!!

Gabe
01-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Just picked up my car yesterday morning and their solution to my car stalling was to flash the PCM. They told me that they have had other vehicles with this same problem and this was how they took care of them. So far she is runnin great, better than before even. We shall see how this goes!!!

So if anybody goes in for this problem to be looked at, make sure you "return to stock" before you take your car to the dealer or that precious tune will be gone forever ... :dead: :dead: :dead:

1157_Plum
01-16-2008, 09:27 PM

I just thought that I would give an update: They did flash my PCM and it 'appears' to have solved the problem. The car has not died once since, but with a problem like this ... the only way I will have a definitive answer is if it does die again. Best I can do/say is that it hasn't died on me since so that is a good sign.

The bad news: now I'm having random starting issues. The car will sometimes start right away ... the instant I turn the key the engine growls to life. Other times it just doesn't start. It makes the starting 'sounds', but it just doesn't seem to start. I'm not mechanically inclined, so that is really the best description that I can give. :shrug:

It hasn't stranded me anywhere yet ... but the first chance I get, I'm taking it back to a dealer to get it fixed. I have no clue if the two problems are related or if the 'fix' might have caused the problem ...

Hope that helps,

slvr06CHARGER
01-16-2008, 10:11 PM
I just thought that I would give an update: They did flash my PCM and it 'appears' to have solved the problem. The car has not died once since, but with a problem like this ... the only way I will have a definitive answer is if it does die again. Best I can do/say is that it hasn't died on me since so that is a good sign.

The bad news: now I'm having random starting issues. The car will sometimes start right away ... the instant I turn the key the engine growls to life. Other times it just doesn't start. It makes the starting 'sounds', but it just doesn't seem to start. I'm not mechanically inclined, so that is really the best description that I can give. :shrug:

It hasn't stranded me anywhere yet ... but the first chance I get, I'm taking it back to a dealer to get it fixed. I have no clue if the two problems are related or if the 'fix' might have caused the problem ...

Hope that helps,

hope it doesn't stall again, do you know what software version is on your pcm now?
sounds like you are having hard starts like me and some other members do, but i'm not sure its related to the fix.

check out this threads for some ideas
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52658
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=80618

or maybe its just because its cold outside...
tell us what the stealership finds out or if it does stall again.

djv3n0m
01-17-2008, 03:03 AM
Well i have a 2007 dodge charger R/T. Love it. bought it brand new with about 300miles on it. when i got to about 4000 miles i was headed home from a long drive. stopped at a red light and my check engine light came on car locked up steering wheel locked up and i was just sittin at the light. I put the car in park turned it off and restarted my car everything worked fine.

when i got to about 5200 miles it happened again but on the freeway. It was alot of traffic so it cause me to go to a rolling stop. As i started to accelerate on the freeway car locked up again. Had to turn my car off turn it back on in the middle of the freeeway.

Took it from dealership to dealership and was told by 3 dealerships when it locks up keep the car running so they can pull a code after its towed. So im driving nervously because of this issue.

Took it to a real good dealership on my side of town they ran test couldnt find any issues so they just reset the computer. Havent had a problem since and im a little over 13,750 miles now.

Klavier
01-17-2008, 05:30 AM
Mine also has not stalled again since Christmas Eve so I am just not sweating it anymore. But I am thinking about it and if it stalls it won't take me by surprise.

1157_Plum
01-18-2008, 03:07 AM
hope it doesn't stall again, do you know what software version is on your pcm now?
sounds like you are having hard starts like me and some other members do, but i'm not sure its related to the fix.

check out this threads for some ideas
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52658
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=80618

or maybe its just because its cold outside...
tell us what the stealership finds out or if it does stall again.

Thanks for the links ... I'll look into them right away.

Still no 'sudden stalls', but I've been driving very little the last few days. I have no idea what version they flashed the PCM to ... if there is a mechanically-simple way to check, I'd be glad to look for you.

LuvnRadr
01-31-2008, 09:02 AM
Ok... my turn. My SRT (with almost 32,000 miles on it) started stalling a few days ago. Mine stalls A LOT now. It has happened as often as 20 times in one day. I have noticed that it only stalls once it has reached full operating temperature. If its cold, it runs like a dream. Once it starts the stalling game, it will stall in one of two conditions. First, at red lights (in or out of gear, doesn't matter). Second, under hard acceleration. If it stalls under acceleration, however, it will refire itself immediately. You get that bucking sensation of jump-starting a manual car and will then keep going. As with everyone else, no codes or anything. I do hear the computer chime (as if resetting) every time it does this. Dodge has had the car for four days now. They can't figure it out. We had a StarScan connected to it when the problem occurs. The StarScan only goes blank for a second as the car stalls. No codes on the car or StarScan. The dealer replaced the computer just in case. Same problem. It does this with or without a predator tune (I had the tune in when the issue started: Returned back to stock but same issues). Now that are going to install a "copilot" to attempt to record what is happening and attempt a diagnosis. Bottom line is they have no idea what is wrong. They claim to have never seen this before. They sent an e-mail to DCX but have gotten no response. In the meantime, I am driving around in my rented Toyota Corolla as my SRT sits at Dodge. At least my stalling issue is happening while they have it. They can't say its not repeatable. They can't say what's wrong either... We'll see. I'll post an update as soon as I find something out.

silverhemi07
02-02-2008, 07:41 AM
I had this happen to on my 07 RT as well when waiting at a redlight at least 5 times. Ironically, believe it or not it stalled as I was pulling into the service bay at the dearlership. When the tech asked "what seems to be the problem" boy did he get a mouthful from me. They reflashed my car which apparantly now has a new calibration id. The car has not stalled anymore since then. good luck.

Pushing_Tin
02-05-2008, 11:36 PM
I had a 2004 F-150, bought it when it was the brand new model. The same thing happened to me several times. They had the same fix, flashed the truck with a new program and it never happened again.

I am thinking about buying a new 08 R/T and this is problem is causing me a bit of concern. Had Dodge issued a TSB?

AutoEngMike
02-06-2008, 07:07 PM
No issue with my '08 R/T

slvr06CHARGER
02-07-2008, 01:03 AM
LuvnRadr:
20 times a day, u must be going insane, btw i think you are the first srt i heard with that kind of problem, post what the dealer finds it could be useful for someone else.

DeeMan75
02-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I have 16,000 miles and never had the problem until a few weeks ago I put the jet performance chip in and the next day at a red light it stalled. It fired right back up... my friend said it was the chip learning.?. Only stalled once a month later, leaving my house doing about 30 mph. It has done the Hemi shake a couple of times but no other problems.

InFeRnOh7
02-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Mine stalled on me A couple times.. Somthing is up for sure... too bad there isnt any codes to show the issue.. could it have somthing to do with the MDS?...

Crazy J
02-09-2008, 12:53 PM
My Bee did it twice in one day with each occurance being not more then 2 minutes apart. Both times I was in gear at a red light. It hasn't done it since. Very very odd.

Tlan
02-10-2008, 04:48 PM
I cannot believe it,

I had an 1995 Dodge Intrepid SE back on late 90's and the car was fast and handled excellent, not like the 2000 and up intrepids that are horrible autos.

Well I had the same issue, Driving down the expressway at 70 miles an hour the car would just shut off, After sitting on the side of the road for 5 to 15 minutes it would start up again. The dealer could not find the cause because the car was running normal when they looked at it. I went thru this for months and months at night in the day in the snow and rain. I tried several different dealerships but they had no answer since it would not produce error codes or happen when they test drove it.

One day on my way to work it popped. I got fed up and took it straight to the dealer and about a block before the dealer it shut off. I walked the rest of the way and was livid and told them to take it and keep it and drive it for the day and they will see the problem which they agreed.

They attached a monitor device on the computer and drove around until it happened.
I cannot remember exactly what part it was but I believe it was the Computer or ECM. They changed it costing me 900.00 and problem was fixed.

The problems I had with dodge which seems to have not been fixed and affects all their cars, Air intake was too close to the exhaust manifold so if there was any smoke in the engine compartment. It would be blown inside the car causing light headedness.

Transmission died three times while owning the car. After the third time I traded up and went to Chevy have not gone back since.

I was just thinking about buying a Charger but wanted to see if there are any known problems and I find nothing has changed.

That is so bad for Dodge/Chysler they have to many problems with there cars. And note I have never had a problem with Chevy's

ChargerSTL
02-10-2008, 05:03 PM
When we first got the car about two months after the car would randomly not start. It would turn over, but not ignite at all. Took it to the dealer and naturally it did not do it for them. Anyway it seemed to go away after that:shifty: Then I get in the car almost a year later and while backing out it just shuts off in gear! So put it in park and try to restart and it does no problems so i pull out and I am driving down the street and bam..it does it again while in drive???? So I put it back in the garage and call the tow truck and have it taken down to the dealership where they will look at it.

So my question is ...has anyone ever heard of this. I a suspicion that they will not find anything again, but I surely do not want my wife and kids to be driving on the freeway and have it just turn off on them.

I saw another post about the key fob battery can do this????

Any input would be much appreciated.

I have had some serious trouble with mine when i first got it. It would just cut off. The charger comes with 2 Fuel Pumps. My car would mainly cut off when i had a little over a qtr tank of gas. Since one fuel pump was bad it was making the other one fail when the tank got low.

I have had to have 4 fuel pumps put in the car since i got it, only 6 mos old. Since the last time they replaced the front and rear fuel pump i havent had any troubles. and i would intentionally let the gas get real low to see if it would happen again.

Tlan
02-10-2008, 05:21 PM
I have made up my mind. I am NOT buying any Dodge or Chysler

Amazing these cars come from the same production line as Mercedes Benz.

also from past experience I seem to remember the transmissions start to go out after 60k miles

Tlan
02-10-2008, 05:22 PM
No issue with my '08 R/T

You do not have enough miles on it yet. Just wait

bennd87
02-10-2008, 06:22 PM
is this problem happening only with the R/Ts?? Because i havent heard anyone complaining about this problem with the SRT8

Gabe
02-10-2008, 06:25 PM

also from past experience I seem to remember the transmissions start to go out after 60k miles

Hey,

Mister "I drive Chevy's now cuz Dodges suck" .... .if you don't own a Dodge, and don't plan on buying one, why would you join the forum ? Just to tell us about your experience with a car that's in no way related to our Chargers, and talk about your "experience" with the tranny - do you even know that the Charger uses a 5-speed auto in most of their models, that's not related in any way to the crap trans you had in your Intrepid.

You do not have enough miles on it yet. Just wait

I have NOT had any stalling issues on my car, up over 7300 miles now.

Tlan
02-10-2008, 08:36 PM
This is because I was just about to purchase a SRT but wanted to do my due diligence because of the horrible experience I and many others had with Dodge in the past (Remember smaller engine oil pathway blockage blowing engines in ~ 2001). And my assumptions were correct. This forum which shows the exact same issues of a car I had over 10 years ago where the cause was never rectified from dodge means the odds are I would have the same problem as the past. Like Deja Vu. I know from past research dodge used the same engine and trans in new models as in the late models, it seems they have not fixed any design problems they have with their cars.

The car designs are excellent but the detail is not there.

bennd87
02-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Is this problem happening with 07's

ChargerSTL
02-12-2008, 10:24 PM
I dont think its happeninig with the 07s

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/Chargerstl_2008/100_0017.jpg
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/Chargerstl_2008/100_0018.jpg
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/Chargerstl_2008/100_0020.jpg

Gabe
02-12-2008, 10:36 PM

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/Chargerstl_2008/100_0017.jpg
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/Chargerstl_2008/100_0018.jpg
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/Chargerstl_2008/100_0020.jpg

Dude,

It's really not necessary to post unrelated pics of your car in every thread you post in .... nice rims, but there's a "pictures" forum just for that ... :smoke:

Calicat771
02-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Just my $.02...I'm at 15.6K miles and nothing like that has happend yet. Now I'm gonna go knock on some wood!!!

NARC_CHARGER
02-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Well, it did it again, this time, though, while I was stopped at a traffic light. I did notice that both times this happened it had been raining. WOnder if it's a glitch due to water somehow slipping in? Did this happen to any of you on a rainy day?

Did you get a chance to see my post's? It happened more to me when it rained or was wet outside. I finally got rid of it this Sunday. Thank God. Sorry to hear you too are having problems; how many miles on it now and do you have the Diablo? Good luck to ya.

itsyaboikacy
02-13-2008, 09:26 AM
wow this is awesome....my 07 r/t does that **** every once in a while, no clue why, ill stop at a light and my car will putter and shut off if i dont hit the gas .....this is very annoying and embarrassing when you're sitting at a red light in an 07 with rims and music playin...and then you're turning your car on again, lol

InFeRnOh7
02-13-2008, 11:48 PM

My car is a 07.. and yes.. it has happend to me a couple times.. Im thinking it might have somthing to do with the MDS... Might have an issue when its fireing all 8 cylnders and switching to 4????.. just a thought....

Crazy Charger SRT-8
02-14-2008, 12:07 AM
My Jeep grand Cherokee had this happen once. As I'm rolling down the road at 5 am, my lights on, my Jeep shuts off no lights, interior or exeterior as I had auto headlights on. I quickly jabbed it to neutral and said F it and turned the key and vroom is stared up I threw it back in drive and kept rolling. Has not happened in the Charger. But What happened to me is where the key is place (very similar to the Charger) my knee, as I was adjusting myself, clicked the car off. So yea, I am ALWAYS mindful of where my knee is in relation to the key.

on a side note One time in my Charger I was rolling down the road about 35 mph and trying to accelerate I put the peddle down and I got no response. I then let out and pushed it again this time all the way to the floor where I again got no response. I let out of it again where the car violently shifted from one gear to the next and I had full control of the throttle again. That was scary as traffic was bearing down on me.

slvr06CHARGER
02-14-2008, 05:47 AM
Dude,

It's really not necessary to post unrelated pics of your car in every thread you post in .... nice rims, but there's a "pictures" forum just for that ... :smoke:

x100000000 :grin:

slvr06CHARGER
02-14-2008, 05:47 AM
and yes many cars have done this, from sxt to srt. and all years. its been mentioned on this same thread before.
mine hasn't stalled in some time now and i hope it stays that way.:nervous s

has anyone thought of filing a complaint or something? i see this as a safety issue :(

Crazy J
02-14-2008, 10:10 AM
This is because I was just about to purchase a SRT but wanted to do my due diligence because of the horrible experience I and many others had with Dodge in the past (Remember smaller engine oil pathway blockage blowing engines in ~ 2001). And my assumptions were correct. This forum which shows the exact same issues of a car I had over 10 years ago where the cause was never rectified from dodge means the odds are I would have the same problem as the past. Like Deja Vu. I know from past research dodge used the same engine and trans in new models as in the late models, it seems they have not fixed any design problems they have with their cars.

The car designs are excellent but the detail is not there.
I doubt Dodge designs and builds the ECM units it uses so to say Dodge cars suck because of this random stalling issue is a bit hasty. So some of them have issues, every car manufacturer does. I'm sure there are plenty of former Chevy owners who would completely disagree with your love of Chevy. Honestly, I could search forums for any relatively new car and find a list of the more common problems experiened, including any Chevy model. That doesn't make the car garbage.
I myself have had great luck with Dodge. I've owned a Shadow, an Avenger, a Durango (still have), a Ram (still have), an old Ram van, and now the Charger and haven't had any serious issues with any of them.

Sorry Dodge didn't work for you but don't start putting others down because of one crappy car you had a long time ago.

LuvnRadr
02-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Finally got my car back. Bottom line is... they had no idea what was wrong. They just started throwing parts at it. They replaced the PCM. No fix. They replaced the throttle body. No fix. They checked the entire wiring harness. Nothing. Finally, they replaced the fuse box and front control module at the same time. This appears to have fixed it. It has been two days now with no issues. We'll see as time goes on. At least I am not driving their rental Toyota Corolla anymore.

slvr06CHARGER
02-17-2008, 09:18 PM
hmm maybe that fcm, i had mine updated when i went to get the tranny flash, when they gave me the work order with the new pcm and tcm numbers there was a fcm, and i suspect my recent stalls came from a problem with my battery. any particular reason to replace the fusebox? anyway hope it doesnt do it anymore from now on.

TXboi
02-18-2008, 02:34 AM
happened to me when i first bought my car too. only happened once and never again after that

Tlan
02-19-2008, 02:25 PM

I lied, I took the chance but just with an extra bumper to bumper wty just in case.

and for that problem they will have to place a scope on it and drive it until it dies, they will then find that exact cause.

Here'sJohnny
02-19-2008, 02:31 PM
My 99 mercedes did this and it was the "engine position sensor" I believe something to tell the electronic ignition when to start the spark sequence as there is no distributor in that car as well as these. It would just abort starting after 30 seconds of cranking like it was outta gas, then I finally got it started and it died on the way home again like it was outta gas, Had to have it towed to dealership and that's what they replaced.
probably way too late to help but better late than never...

Kenny Pollock
02-19-2008, 02:45 PM
A guy at a red light kept revving his engine... so I took off and beat him by a car's length... just to rub it in, I cut in front of him and put my hazards on to piss him off... Well, light turns green and I'm stuck. I panic'ed so I didn't even throw the car in park when I tried starting it 5+ times. Was embarrassing.

1157_Plum
02-20-2008, 04:13 AM
I just wanted to give an update. My charger ('07 Daytona) has around 3,600 miles on it now and the sudden 'shutting off' has not happened again.

I have taken the car back to the dealer two more times trying to get my starting issue corrected, but the stealership (great word) near me is filled with morons who know as much about cars as I do (read: virtually nothing).

The PCM flash I got back then appeared to have fixed the problem for me.

On a side note, I would like to say that a lot of the confusion in this thread is because people who are having similar problems are not realizing that the problem that they are having, while similar, is unrelated.

Take care and good luck everyone,

hiDes
02-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Did you get a chance to see my post's? It happened more to me when it rained or was wet outside. I finally got rid of it this Sunday. Thank God. Sorry to hear you too are having problems; how many miles on it now and do you have the Diablo? Good luck to ya.

No, didn't see it, but mine ended up doing it a total of 11 times, (as I mentioned in another thread). ONe of the last times I almost ran into a post as I was exiting the highway. That time was followed by two shutoffs the next day within a 10 minute period. I almost had decided to get rid of it. However, I took it over to Dodge, they flashed it and hasn't happened since. It's only been a few weeks though and I haven't been around to drive it, as you know. Hopefully though that should've taken care of the problem. Mine is stock by the way, no Diablo no nothing.

Mine is 07.

ChargerSTL
02-20-2008, 09:57 PM
First one ive heard of for the 07's. you get it taken care?

Raven0130
02-20-2008, 10:07 PM
It has happened to me twice. I have an 07 R/T. It has only happened at stoplights

hiDes
02-20-2008, 10:19 PM
First one ive heard of for the 07's. you get it taken care?

A few weeks back they did an "update" flash which is supposed to take care of it. NGC FLASH UPDATE 3409 WD95 0.70 (as written on the sheet). It's still too soon to tell though. Anyhow, I'm already at about 13,000 and have had it for one year. It started happening at around 6 months but would happen intermittently, til the last few times which was consecutive. It's also controlled the hemi shake alot. It doesn't jump around like it used to at stoplights. I can still feel it when it does but it's so subtle that it's barely noticeable.

It has happened to me twice. I have an 07 R/T. It has only happened at stoplights

Happened to me at stop lights, while driving (accelerating and making turns) as well as parking. The update flash at the dealership should take care of it "supposedly". Lets pray that's the solution. Good luck.

GaryAllen924
02-21-2008, 06:04 PM
How much do these "updates" cost at the dealer?

NARC_CHARGER
02-29-2008, 12:32 AM
No, didn't see it, but mine ended up doing it a total of 11 times, (as I mentioned in another thread). ONe of the last times I almost ran into a post as I was exiting the highway. That time was followed by two shutoffs the next day within a 10 minute period. I almost had decided to get rid of it. However, I took it over to Dodge, they flashed it and hasn't happened since. It's only been a few weeks though and I haven't been around to drive it, as you know. Hopefully though that should've taken care of the problem. Mine is stock by the way, no Diablo no nothing.

Mine is 07.

Wow sweetie sorry to hear that. Well I hope it works for ya; I am enjoying my new 08 F150 FX2 (Narc_F150) oops let me not say that to loud around here I might start a ruckus and get banned......lol

I was sad to trade in the R/T but had no choice. :(

By the way I got your Myspace message I will be calling you....

ccl088
02-29-2008, 07:37 PM
06 13K miles...died for the first time today at a stop sign?????

ChargerAg
03-02-2008, 05:48 PM
This happened to me today, literally as i pulled onto my street after a 3hour roadtrip from dallas. Went to make the turn, car shut off and showed the red oil light. 8,200 miles on it.

reset my predator tune to turn off the MDS, so ill keep an eye on it this week.

Quicksilver83
03-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Hey good peoples,

At 7:32 p.m., I too became a victim of the sudden engine death syndrome that has been discussed in this thread. It happened right as I was pulling into my girlfriend's driveway which is at a bit of an incline. Also, it wasn't raining and the temperature was pleasant somewhere in the 60s-70s. She (the Charger, not the girlfriend :lol: ) started up just fine for me to park her right afterwards though. The oil light was illuminated before I restarted her, but it was the only one. No Check Engine Light or light of any other kind was on. My mods are as listed in my sig.

I thought for a second that perhaps my BT Oil Catch Can had overfilled causing some kind of havoc, as it had been awhile since I checked it's level. However, upon checking it, I found it to be half-full (I'm an optimist) but the hose had a light coat of oil on it. I could not find a puncture on the hose nor did it look as if it was leaking from the nipple off of the PCV Valve. My engine oil was full and also very clean. I have about 7900 miles on the car. She started up fine and on the way home, she got up from 0-65 MPH just like she always does when pulling onto the highway as I'm leaving my girlfriend's neighborhood.

One thing I should add is that while installing my Magnaflow catback at just over 6000 miles, I noticed that the hose coming off of the PCV Valve to my BT Catch Can was getting kinked from it's own vacuum. I placed a long door spring into the hose to prevent collapse and all has been well. I did notice tonight that there is a rattling sound coming from the PCV Valve which was not present when I noticed the kinking. Oil vapor is still flowing into the catch can, so I know there isn't any blockages in the system.

Is it possible that my PCV Valve is just shot after almost 8000 miles? I have not taken out the PCV Valve to inspect it as it was late when I got home. However, how in the world would a possibly stuck open PCV Valve cause an engine to just shut off? It seems that a closed PCV Valve would be the culprit of major problems, not the reverse. I am also wondering if it's just my mind playing tricks on me when in fact it might have simply been an electrical glitch and my engine is running fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Gabe
03-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Hey good peoples,

At 7:32 p.m., I too became a victim of the sudden engine death syndrome that has been discussed in this thread. It happened right as I was pulling into my girlfriend's driveway which is at a bit of an incline. Also, it wasn't raining and the temperature was pleasant somewhere in the 60s-70s. She (the Charger, not the girlfriend :lol: ) started up just fine for me to park her right afterwards though. The oil light was illuminated before I restarted her, but it was the only one. No Check Engine Light or light of any other kind was on. My mods are as listed in my sig.

I thought for a second that perhaps my BT Oil Catch Can had overfilled causing some kind of havoc, as it had been awhile since I checked it's level. However, upon checking it, I found it to be half-full (I'm an optimist) but the hose had a light coat of oil on it. I could not find a puncture on the hose nor did it look as if it was leaking from the nipple off of the PCV Valve. My engine oil was full and also very clean. I have about 7900 miles on the car. She started up fine and on the way home, she got up from 0-65 MPH just like she always does when pulling onto the highway as I'm leaving my girlfriend's neighborhood.

One thing I should add is that while installing my Magnaflow catback at just over 6000 miles, I noticed that the hose coming off of the PCV Valve to my BT Catch Can was getting kinked from it's own vacuum. I placed a long door spring into the hose to prevent collapse and all has been well. I did notice tonight that there is a rattling sound coming from the PCV Valve which was not present when I noticed the kinking. Oil vapor is still flowing into the catch can, so I know there isn't any blockages in the system.

Is it possible that my PCV Valve is just shot after almost 8000 miles? I have not taken out the PCV Valve to inspect it as it was late when I got home. However, how in the world would a possibly stuck open PCV Valve cause an engine to just shut off? It seems that a closed PCV Valve would be the culprit of major problems, not the reverse. I am also wondering if it's just my mind playing tricks on me when in fact it might have simply been an electrical glitch and my engine is running fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

My PCV valve rattles too, I was told it's becaue it's metal on the inside and it's not to worry about ... I can only hear it with the engine cover off ...

Quicksilver83
03-04-2008, 02:34 PM
I removed my engine cover in order to show off my HEMI and to make use of the Valve Covers. The rattle seemed more pronounced last night than it has before, but then again, I was looking for something and I guess that's what I found. As soon as I shut my hood, I couldn't hear it any more. Thanks for letting me know that information about the PCV Valve and that it's more than likely nothing to worry about!

ratfink
03-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Sunday, 70 degrees with just under half a tank of fuel. We pulled into Ace and as I turned into a parking spot it died. Started right up, but now I am nervous as my wife is the lucky one to use it as her DD. Oh, 13,500 miles '07 Daytona. The best color choice of course is Sublime

Only1EDA
03-06-2008, 01:07 AM
Today this happened to me. I was at a stop light for a couple of mins on the way to pick up my daughter from school and my car shut off. I didn't even relize it until I tryed to step on the gas. I put it in Neutral and it started back up. I am very heated at this point! :fuming:This is not something that should be happening. I have read all 19 pages and I am worried that this might happen on the freeway. I have two little gurls in the car with me all the time and this is very dangerous.:no: I am calling the dealership tomarrow and there better be something done to fix it. I LOVE this car but there is somethings that I will not put up with and that is a car shuting off every once in awhile especially on the freeway. By the way it is a 06 SXT with 27,000 miles on it and stock. Oh, and it was a 68 degree day not too hot. If I would have known that so many chargers had this problem I wouldn't have got it and it sucks because my husband didn't really want me getting it in the first place and I know he is dying to say "I told you so". :shhh: I hope the dealership "REALLY" fixes the problem so I can keep my beauty! :love:

Reap3r
03-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Just to let everyone know Ive been having this problem at least 2 to 3 times a week.It has shut off on the highway with me 2 times already. On monday I went and they gave me the starline flash as i was leaving the dealership it cut off as i was making the right turn out. I turned back on and head right back in. They couldnt find anything so I went back yesterday. There ordering a new computer for my car so hopefully it solves the problem but if not I will be lemon lawing the car.

ezlivin
03-11-2008, 12:20 PM
sad to be a part of this thread, but as i was pulling into a friends driveway the car died on me for no reason and the oil light came on...i put it into park and restarted it with no problems and the light went off...it was about 80 outside and i had just done a pretty good burnout before turning into the driveway...:confused: i only have 4200 miles on the car and this is the first time its done this...ill keep an eye on it and take it to the dealer if it happens 2 more times....you know what they say...first time is happenstance, second time is coincidence, third time is enemy action!!!:nervous s

Leoblack
03-14-2008, 09:58 PM
My 'O7 Charger R/T has cut off on me 3 times now. 1st time at 6000 miles at a stop light after a 5 hour road trip.Took it straight to dealer and they could find nothing wrong. 2nd time around 12,500 miles at light after a fill up at gas station. 3rd time around 13,000 miles with quarter tank after 4 1/2 hour road trip at a drive through window. All the conditions seem to be at fairly warm temps and after a lot of constant driving.

hiDes
03-16-2008, 11:15 AM
UPDATE: After 11 shutoffs (as mentioned in prior posts) took it to dealer, had it flashed (supposed to resolve issue), but now a month & 1/2 later it shutoff again yesterday. Therefore, so much for the "flash fix".

RedChargerSXT
03-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Does anybody know whether or not there is a TSB Bulletin for this engine shutoff problem?
Does this engine shutoff problem also occur on the 2008 R/T Road & Track Package vehicles too?

So many people in here have this problem.
WHY is it that Dodge has not been able to come up with a permanent fix for this problem?
I think that this engine shutoff problem is due to some computer or electrical problem. There has to be some computer that controls the revving on the engine which doesn't work properly. I don't think that the problem is the engine itself. The problem has to be either a computer module or something electrical.
What do you think? Nobody in here has talked about what the root of this engine shutoff problem is.
It would be interesting to find out what causes the engine to shut off like this.

Reap3r
03-16-2008, 08:53 PM
well i tried everything the dealership flashed it multiple times,they even gave me a new computer nothing so I filed for a lemon law. Ill keep you guys posted over the process my lawyer said itll take about 3 months or so :/

NARC_CHARGER
03-17-2008, 03:45 AM
Does anybody know whether or not there is a TSB Bulletin for this engine shutoff problem?
Does this engine shutoff problem also occur on the 2008 R/T Road & Track Package vehicles too?

So many people in here have this problem.
WHY is it that Dodge has not been able to come up with a permanent fix for this problem?
I think that this engine shutoff problem is due to some computer or electrical problem. There has to be some computer that controls the revving on the engine which doesn't work properly. I don't think that the problem is the engine itself. The problem has to be either a computer module or something electrical.
What do you think? Nobody in here has talked about what the root of this engine shutoff problem is.
It would be interesting to find out what causes the engine to shut off like this.

Service manager admitted to me that they are aware of the stalling but at this point there is no fix for the problem; and are no signs of anything in progress. From the horses mouth. He called it "Phantom Stalling"

My take is that they are aware but will cost them greatly to "Lemon out vehicles" and a great number of them; so the problem continues to go un-resolved until a class action lawsuit because of a death(s) God forbid. Shame on DCX.

trnfla
03-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Here is a Florida Lemon Law ruling: http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.n.../Jan_Mar06.pdf

Rhone v. DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC, 2005-1031/TPA (Fla. NMVAB February 2,
2006)
The Consumers complained that, intermittently when making a left turn, the engine stalled. The
Manufacturer contended that the defect was cured within a reasonable number of repair attempts,
based upon the history of occurrences early in the ownership of the vehicle, followed by only one
occurrence in the last 11 months and 15,000 miles of driving. The Manufacturer’s witness
testified that he believed the problem was a Asoftware problem@ which was fixed by software
updates; however, he admitted that there was Ano way to know 100 percent if the vehicle was
fixed,@ because the cause of the problem was never determined. Based upon the evidence that
the defect last occurred after all software updates were performed, which refuted the
Manufacturer=s assertion that the defect was cured by the software updates, and the fact that
neither the Manufacturer nor its authorized service agent was ever able to identify the cause of
the nonconformity, the Board concluded that the nonconformity was not corrected within a
reasonable number of attempts, and awarded a the Consumers a replacement vehicle.

dustinc22
03-17-2008, 05:04 PM

07 R/T Road & track exact same situation. It stalled once at about 1500 miles. Never did it again till recently 10,000 miles now. Stalled twice in the last week.

RedChargerSXT
03-18-2008, 08:32 AM
If this is a software problem, why hasn't Chrysler/Dodge been able to redo and rewrite the software program in order to make it work properly?
Do you think that they haven't done this because they don't know how to redo or to rewrite the software program in order for it to work properly?

ALSO, does this stalling problem also occur on the 2008 R/T's too? Or has Chrysler/Dodge resolved the stalling problem for all 2008 R/T's?

dustinc22
03-18-2008, 01:26 PM
I think I read a few 08 guys suffering from this..Not 100% though.

dustinc22
03-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Well I talked to my dealer "Windward Dodge" and they said bring it right in and we will see what we can do. B4 I even got off the phone he said there are some software updates that he heard about recently and they will try that. I will post back after it gets done tomorrow.

Here are my current symptoms. Normal idle at abut 750 rpm's on start up after the idle kick down - once warmed up after cruising on the freeway for about 15 min I get into stop and go with lights at a complete stop idle drops to 500 rpm's or below. If it drops below get a shudder and then the computer usually does it's thing and brings the idle back up to about 650-750 rpm's. I have also noticed that if I run the AC at stops It will idle at about 700 rpm's with out any drop in rpm's

Updates to come.....

Totti
03-22-2008, 06:07 AM
I was going to sell my SXT and buy a 08 RT

but after reading this thread I can see that this is a common problem to all the chargers.

I am starting to have doubts about buying an RT now :confused:

FloorPizza
03-22-2008, 07:28 AM
My GoMango Daytona did it twice in the 10k miles I had it. My yelllow super bee never did it in 12k miles, and my blue bee only has 50 miles on it so far.

I don't think I've heard of any srt-8's with the problem, only random (and stragely, not all of them) R/T's and Daytonas.

RedChargerSXT
03-22-2008, 12:59 PM
I was going to sell my SXT and buy a 08 RT

but after reading this thread I can see that this is a common problem to all the chargers.

I am starting to have doubts about buying an RT now :confused:

You shouldn't have any doubts about buying an R/T because of this problem.
The R/T is a very nice vehicle. I wouldn't hesitate buying another R/T Road & Track.

Totti
03-24-2008, 12:50 PM
But what if you are driving in the highway at 90 miles/h and suddenly the car shuts down and you lose the steering and the brake !! what will you do then??

This is really a fatal error in the car !!

and I wonder if it happens in 08 RTs ??

dustinc22
03-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Sorry guys no updates yet the dealer only had lube guys in the shop over the weekend. I do not know why they told me to come in because there is no way I am letting some kid that just does oil changes play with my car. So in tomorrow it goes.

Still waiting......

alex3dworld
03-24-2008, 04:54 PM
THIS IS A REAL AND OFFEN PROBLEM. i had like 10 or 15 stalls on my record, i life in Florida, have an rt and it freak me out a lot of times, basically it never happens on express ways at 70 miles/hour, is more an over heating problem, it always happens to me when I’m driving 15-20 mph. engine running at 210-220 or more, lot of trafic. hot sun
Because I love my car and avoid a large fight with my dealer, I start doing some tunes, to open the breathing of the car, and low down the temperature of the oil and engine. Mopar headers, Mopar CAI, T-sat, catch can diablo, now i use only sintetic oil, 93 octane gass, etc

i have no more stalls so far.

What was the factor to solve the problem? Don’t know maybe the mix of everything.
I also notice a great change with the last calibration update.
I had have my charger for 7-8 months

Night-Rida
03-25-2008, 01:04 AM
I to have had this happen probly 3-4 times since i've bought this car about 8 months ago. All at speeds less than 20 mph. Did get a CEL after the first one @ about 2000 miles on the car. Dealer said it was a oil temp sensor. Once that was fixed it has happen twice since then now im about at 13,000 miles total. Also Ive had the mysterious bump sitting at traffic lights.. probly have had this done about 15 times since new. Hope dodge fixes these problems in near future!!!!

-Night-Rida...

desertcharger
03-25-2008, 01:37 AM
Knock on wood-
Never had this issue.
My $0.02:cool:

doublescharger
03-25-2008, 02:42 AM
Just wanted to chime in an update. I might have replied on this thread or the other regarding this phenomenon. We, here in AZ, just got done with a mild winter. Now that the temps are back into the 80s, my car is starting to do this again. Also I noticed that while spirited driving around town, my car reaches 216-220 temps. I guess its time to go buy a 180 degree t-stat again. This did not help the problem last time, by the way. The only difference between this past week and 8 months ago is my car has not completely died(along with showing the oil idiot lamp).

scottcz
03-25-2008, 03:25 AM
I'm about to be a 2008 Charger owner and this issue is new to me, so I'll obvioulsy be looking for it. I am interested in following up with the 1 or 2 people that said for them it was a key issue and that their knee bumped the key. Are any of the rest of you having this problem using a large keyring and have lots of keys? Anyone else noticed yet that they can repeat the problem by bumping the igntion with their knee? I know the new cars have the smart keys, is it new for 2008 or was it something offered in the last couple of years.....?

djv3n0m
03-25-2008, 06:56 AM
i have an 07 charger R/T. and mine happen 2 times i believe all in the summer when the car was extremely hot. dont know what caused it though. just know it onnly happens when my car slows down to 10mph or less or in stop and go traffic. the car would studder and lock up. i was pissed i bought a brand new car and it happen. Only answers i was given were to let my car lock up and leave it on so they could tow it and pull the code from the car.

My two experiences was in stop in go traffic on the street. and stop and go traffic on the freeway. Hell i did all these mod's to my car nothings happen since. But if this causes a fatal accident. You wont hear the end of it i tell you that.

Why Does Dodge start to remind me of Microsoft And The Red Ring Of Death

dustinc22
03-26-2008, 03:23 AM
Update:
I got my car back today and as expected no codes were found. But the Guys over at Windward Dodge took the inicitive and hit me up with the most recent flash. I will get the numbers tomorrow. I have to pop the hood and look for the numbers. Oh fine Let me get my flash light.

5 min later

Flash update #'s on PCM Update sticker:
P/N P05094807AG
S/N T75EH3176E0EZ3

I only got to drive a few miles so I will keep the updates coming on my results. I hope my endeavors pay of for my self and other.

HEMI V8
03-26-2008, 04:20 AM
This happened to me 3 Times when the car had less than (10000 KM)
(6000 miles)

at 10000 KM I brought it to the dealer for the regualr service
by that time (9600 km) I had a slight vibration when the car isn't moving
wiether the gear is in D or P or N
when I move vibration goes away...

and the Check engine light came on...
So I tell the dealer to check it and fix it...

They cleaned the Injectors & Replaced the spark Plugs
the car became very smooth, since I bought it its been never smoother
Never Better throttle response...
no check engine light...
and above all no more Stalling problem
and BTW I did not tell them about the stalling..

now I have 12181 miles and no stalling...
Could it be a spark plugs / Injectors problem?

check this thread: SRT8 owner changes the spark plugs to E3 spark plugs he gets stalling problem:
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71068

What do you think...

hiDes
03-26-2008, 07:43 AM
now I have 12181 miles and no stalling...
Could it be a spark plugs / Injectors problem?

I was just thinking the same thing after reading the E3 thread and now I see your post. Thanks for the info, as this is a recurring problem I've had. It sounds like it may definitely have to do with the spark plugs.

Apache Kid
03-26-2008, 08:25 AM
2006 R/T. I have never had this problem. Over 25K on it. My car is modified too. Predator, CAI, Borla and Mopar Long Tubes, Custome Tune. Thermostat is stock.

My close friend who also has a 2006 R/T has never experienced this either and he has over 34K with similar mods.

I sincerely hope everyone who is experiencing this problem finds a solution. Nothing is more frustrating than having a problem with your ride and no one can repair it.

Totti
03-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Can you use your brake when the engine stalls??

NARC_CHARGER
03-28-2008, 02:53 AM
I was just thinking the same thing after reading the E3 thread and now I see your post. Thanks for the info, as this is a recurring problem I've had. It sounds like it may definitely have to do with the spark plugs.

I know of a great mechanic that could change out your plugs if needed; free of charge? Also has tools for the wing install too.....:lol: :ninja: Real nice and knowledgeable guy.

Reap3r
03-28-2008, 04:00 AM
yeah it does suck when your ride goes crazy and nobody has the solution but its alright though i mean the situation sucks but i still love these cars once my lemon law plays out im going to try for an srt-8 hopefully everything moves smoothly

hiDes
03-28-2008, 05:59 AM
Can you use your brake when the engine stalls??

NOPE!!!!!

I know of a great mechanic that could change out your plugs if needed; free of charge? Also has tools for the wing install too.....:lol: :ninja: Real nice and knowledgeable guy.

Ha ha, yeah, I already now about your spoiler install style, but fortunately I found someone who did it, without having to use a firearm.:grin:

yeah it does suck when your ride goes crazy and nobody has the solution but its alright though i mean the situation sucks but i still love these cars once my lemon law plays out im going to try for an srt-8 hopefully everything moves smoothly

Hey good luck with that and let us know the outcome!

dustinc22
03-30-2008, 01:21 AM
Ok, SO since the flash (#'s in post 210) I have put over a 100 miles on in the exact same driving circumstances and.........

Everything seems to be good. I am yet to have my idle drop at lights, no stalls and no mystery bump. Still knocking on wood. My recommendation would be to go get the flash. Unless you are running a tuner nothing bad can come from it.

dboz
03-30-2008, 10:36 AM
I have been researching this forum for a while now in anticipation of ordering an 09 (more power) R/T with R/T. While all vehicles and makes will have problems, I am finding this thread particularly concerning. I feel that one time is way too many, having bought many new cars over the years and NEVER had one stall at ANY speed for ANY reason. This is discouraging because I love the way these cars look, however I do not feel like spending 35k for a car that does not run and where I feel uncomfortable and uneasy about its dependability. While some may think this is isolated, this must be a major issue. With so many here reporting problems, how many of these cars are on the road and not members of such sites. There can surely be many more that are unknown and not reported here.

My question for all of you with this problem is, do any of you have the catch can installed. I have found where the oil can reach the throttle body and lead to this stalling problem. Just curious if any of you have one and are still having stalling issues. I have 2 kids and there is no way I am going to buy a car that can just shut off of the freeway.

I am not on here to stir things up, just looking for some feedback to see if this throttle body issue may be the cause of all this. I feel bad for those of you who are experiencing this having spent so much for a new car that you would think should be reliable. Thanks.

hiDes
03-31-2008, 04:57 PM
I have been researching this forum for a while now in anticipation of ordering an 09 (more power) R/T with R/T. While all vehicles and makes will have problems, I am finding this thread particularly concerning. I feel that one time is way too many, having bought many new cars over the years and NEVER had one stall at ANY speed for ANY reason. This is discouraging because I love the way these cars look, however I do not feel like spending 35k for a car that does not run and where I feel uncomfortable and uneasy about its dependability. While some may think this is isolated, this must be a major issue. With so many here reporting problems, how many of these cars are on the road and not members of such sites. There can surely be many more that are unknown and not reported here.

My question for all of you with this problem is, do any of you have the catch can installed. I have found where the oil can reach the throttle body and lead to this stalling problem. Just curious if any of you have one and are still having stalling issues. I have 2 kids and there is no way I am going to buy a car that can just shut off of the freeway.

I am not on here to stir things up, just looking for some feedback to see if this throttle body issue may be the cause of all this. I feel bad for those of you who are experiencing this having spent so much for a new car that you would think should be reliable. Thanks.

I do have a catchcan installed, however have only had it for two weeks- too soon to tell. The car hasn't shut off since, but two weeks is not enough time. My car would always stall out intermittently. It can happen once a month to once every two months to then 5 times within a 3 week period.

I wouldn't be discouraged about buying the car, I would just look into an SRT, I've not heard of them having this issue. There was one guy (on a thread mentioned above with an SRT that had stalling issue, but only due to some new spark plugs. Otherwise I haven't heard of any SRT's with this issue. If I could go back in time I would definitely have gotten an SRT. Good Luck on your decision.

dboz
03-31-2008, 11:10 PM
I do have a catchcan installed, however have only had it for two weeks- too soon to tell. The car hasn't shut off since, but two weeks is not enough time. My car would always stall out intermittently. It can happen once a month to once every two months to then 5 times within a 3 week period.

I wouldn't be discouraged about buying the car, I would just look into an SRT, I've not heard of them having this issue. There was one guy (on a thread mentioned above with an SRT that had stalling issue, but only due to some new spark plugs. Otherwise I haven't heard of any SRT's with this issue. If I could go back in time I would definitely have gotten an SRT. Good Luck on your decision.

While an SRT would be nice, I really wanted to get a little better gas mileage than those. While not a huge difference, it is still enough.

Power Sedan
04-01-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm just wondering if this has anything to do with the MDS hemi!?!?! Has anyone installed lifters, and had this problem?

alex3dworld
04-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Ok guys, just updating my staling status. lol

no more stalls.

i have done some mods, 170 tsat, Mopar CAI, Mopar headers and some visuals that is not the point here

engine now runs cool, and i have a lot of good breathing with the mods

START MODING YOUR CARS!!!!!!!!!!

alex3dworld
04-03-2008, 02:11 PM
oh, i forgot to tell you that now i have an engine light on becouse the tsat and some ratteling noise couse the headers

!BUT AT LESS THE SATLLS ARE GONE!!!!
lol

LuvnRadr
04-04-2008, 09:44 PM
My stalling issue started up again. Nowhere near as bad as last time, but it has stalled a dozen times in the last month. I called Dodge customer service. They said they couldn't get a hold of anyone at the dealership and that they would call me right back. That was a week ago. As much as I hate to, I may have to look into the lemon law. Maybe I will get that 09 CTS-V after all...

outdoorgrl
04-07-2008, 10:44 AM
I am new to this chat group, and wish I had seen it before I bought the charger. Purchased a 2008 3.5 SXt on 1/26/08. I have had in the shop twice for a hard shift and stalling. My stalling occurs at an abrupt stop going from about 60 mph to a complete stop (usually a red light). The first time they replaced a valve and did something to the computer. Accorinding to them that solved the rpugh idle and hard shift...NOT. It is back again with the same issues and the stalling.

I went back and drove the service tech around until the issues occured (only took about 10 minutes and 1 attempt to get the issues to happen)

The dealership says the PCM needed to be replaced to solved the hard shift, but they don't know why it is stalling. We will see what they have to say today about the stalling issues.

LuvnRadr
04-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Well, the dealer has my car again. The stalling problem is still here. I filed for the lemon law today. I hate to do it, but I have 34,500 miles (almost out of warranty). Tomorrow makes two years since I got the car. I really like it other than this crazy issue.

The service manager asked for permission to drive the car home for an extended test drive. It stalled on him twice. At least the dealer is acknowledging the problem (major step).

My only dilemma is that per the lemon law, the manufacturer gets a usage fee for the miles I put on the car. They base it on the purchase price (price * mileage / 120000). So they would be hitting me up for almost $13,000 in depreciation for my use!!!! I hear that this is a debatable point at the arbitration hearing, but that's not the point. Last time the dealer had my car for this, they kept it for 21 days. Now they've had it for 2 days and they have no idea where to begin looking for a cure. I guess we'll see what happens.

In the meantime, I am paying my monthly payments (over $750/mo) and get to drive a base model Caliber. Fun fun!

07bumblebee
05-06-2008, 10:44 PM
I have an 07 superbee that i bought used about a month ago. I have had it stall on me three times. This third time which was yesterday ended pretty bad. I was pulling into a parking spot at the mall, the car stalled, steering wheel locked up and i ened up having the side of the car going into those concrete posts that have light poles on them... took the car to the dealer and told them what happened and they were seeming like they werent going to pay for damages. The told me to leave the car with the service dept. and they would run a diagnostics and go from there. Called them today and they told me that they could'nt find anything and to let them do more tests tommorow. I am very pissed off. What do you guys think i should do... Thanks... Mike

ccl088
05-07-2008, 06:33 AM
I have an 07 superbee that i bought used about a month ago. I have had it stall on me three times. This third time which was yesterday ended pretty bad. I was pulling into a parking spot at the mall, the car stalled, steering wheel locked up and i ened up having the side of the car going into those concrete posts that have light poles on them... took the car to the dealer and told them what happened and they were seeming like they werent going to pay for damages. The told me to leave the car with the service dept. and they would run a diagnostics and go from there. Called them today and they told me that they could'nt find anything and to let them do more tests tommorow. I am very pissed off. What do you guys think i should do... Thanks... Mike

Time to sue! Use this thread as evidence! Copy this and bring to dealer they will act like they have never heard of this before.

yldthng
05-09-2008, 10:59 AM
I've never stalled, luckily. But the person who mentioned the starting it up while still in gear made me think of something that happened to me a few weeks ago.

I was waiting on my daughter to get in the car, and she was taking a minute. I "thought" I had turned the car off while I waited for her to come out. When she got in, I went to crank the car and realized that it was already cranked. I was shocked that it didn't make that god awful "I'm already on idiot" noise that a car usually makes when it sounds like you're killing the starter or somethingl, but it didn't. It didn't make a sound--the key turned to the start position, but no "grinding" noise. Guess that's a good thing for when I have my blonde moments.

DracoCharger
05-09-2008, 11:13 AM
I've never stalled, luckily. But the person who mentioned the starting it up while still in gear made me think of something that happened to me a few weeks ago.

I was waiting on my daughter to get in the car, and she was taking a minute. I "thought" I had turned the car off while I waited for her to come out. When she got in, I went to crank the car and realized that it was already cranked. I was shocked that it didn't make that god awful "I'm already on idiot" noise that a car usually makes when it sounds like you're killing the starter or somethingl, but it didn't. It didn't make a sound--the key turned to the start position, but no "grinding" noise. Guess that's a good thing for when I have my blonde moments.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I cringe when I hear other drivers do that,and that sound happens... I just shake my head at the driver.. and laugh a bit. Can't always hide behind the "blonde moment" thing... .hehe:knockout: :knockout:

yldthng
05-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Yeah, but my blonde moments are getting better--I've had the car for 2 years and that was the first time I'd done it.

DracoCharger
05-09-2008, 11:43 AM
so you think, or actually caught yourself in the moment... lol.. just bust'n chops.

I really hope dodge finds a fix for this problem... i'd hate to buy the car and have it shut down on me... I'd be very pissed.

yldthng
05-09-2008, 11:45 AM
I wonder if there is correlation between the stalling and performance mods that have been installed?

I've got about 17K miles and never had a stall. But, I've haven't done any performance mods--just the dual exhaust.

ChargerS.X.T
05-09-2008, 01:11 PM
I wonder if there is correlation between the stalling and performance mods that have been installed?

I've got about 17K miles and never had a stall. But, I've haven't done any performance mods--just the dual exhaust.

It's a hemi thing. I don't think I have read any V6's that shut off.

yldthng
05-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Really? Only hemis?

Maybe that's why I love my SXT so much. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/yldthng/smilies/cheerleader13.gif

DracoCharger
05-09-2008, 07:59 PM
and to think I wanted a hemi! hopefully the 08's or 09's don't have such a problem.... since that is the years I will be looking to buy... probably 09's if they start selling this summer.

I really want a hemi... nothing sounds like a v8, no matter what kind of exhaust is put on... a V8 is a V8.

AutoEngMike
05-12-2008, 08:10 AM
It's a hemi thing. I don't think I have read any V6's that shut off.Don't blame it on the Hemi, my truck with 126000 miles never stalled driving down the road. It stalled twice in its lifetime when quickly shifting from reverse to drive, not a major issue. It's still running great. The Charger has yet to stall, only get quicker. Going on 11000 miles. More than likely it's a computer issue, it seems that these cars are going the way of computer software. Get the software out as quick as possible, with many features, and patch the problems as they arise.

Phanta5m
05-12-2008, 09:21 AM

i've done a whole crap load of mods and haven't had this happen yet...knock on wood. i did notice that the idle can get very low and choppy at times but that hasn't happened since i got the diablo predator

Hercules
05-14-2008, 12:50 PM
It's a hemi thing. I don't think I have read any V6's that shut off.

Wrong. I rented an '08 300 with 2.7L that would shut down while cruising on the highway. Everytime, it would catch itself and come back on, but it was if someone totally cut the power off then bing right back on. It happened 4 times to me on a 500 mile stretch. When I returned it and told Thrifty about the car, the rental person said she has seen several of the '08's that have had the same issue...all V6's.
I can tell you it doesn't give you a warm fuzzy wondering if the car is going to totally shut down out in the middle of nowhere.

YellowTalon
05-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Hey guys-just got my car back from the dealer. POSSIBLE FIX, yes, you heard it right. Mine finally threw a code- P0406. Seems to be an EGR control issue with the computer- they said their was an update for the PCM and they reflashed. BTW mine is a 2007 Daytona R/T. So far so good....

holeydonut
06-05-2008, 06:34 AM
Interestingly - somebody actually caught on camera phone the weird dash-light-wackiness that occurs right before the Hemi Charger shuts off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDjwvHVMD6s

And no, the PCM Reflash doesn't fix anything regarding this issue. The poster of the video says he only has that problem on rainy days. I've had the problem while in motion on a perfectly sunny day, a humid day, and also on a cold dry day.

danimax
07-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Happened to me for third time last night.My 06 daytona RT stalled twice last summer.Took it to the dealer and of course they couldnt find anything wrong.Conditions all the same: hot weather,slowing down,oil light on etc. So scared this will happen on the crazy vegas freeway....One thing happened different this time,my car chimed twice but no light came up on dash on 3 different occasions ,then about 2 weeks later it stalled as I was trying to turn right.Gonna call dealer again. This makes me so nervous.........

hiDes
07-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Mine got flashed once in beginning of March. Did it only one time after that, then thankfully- not again. Before the flash it would happen intermittently, but quite often.

Dennis H
07-20-2008, 11:45 PM
A very similar problem with a GM Northstar V8 was eventually diagnosed as a Crank Position Sensor. That was after the guy at a Chevron Station took almost 3 Grand to replace everthing fom wires to the main Computer. OBD2 did nothing to help. A Tech named Ben there found that the most called for item from the Los Angeles Parts warehouse was for C P Sensors. The UPPER sensor cured the problem.

danimax
07-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Just got back from dealer. Couldnt duplicate the stall problem so they phoned Chysler who said they have had many complaints about that and are working on a computer softwear upgrade. Wont be ready til oct or nov. Hope that works! Oh and my warning chime was the navigation system which had an error. The message would always disappear before i could find out why the car was chiming<silly me for looking at the instrument panel instead of the radio area>Navigation was working after the chime though. Anyway they are ordering me a new updated cd for it.

06ChargerGirl
07-29-2008, 03:27 PM
I have 2006 Charger 3.5L; first year was fine ~ no problems. Then 13 months after purchasing the fun began. My Charger hasn't completely stalled while driving but it has just mysteriously shut off when I've been sitting in the driveway with it running or in a parking lot; my biggest problem, is I'll be just cruising along and all of a sudden it would shudder like it wanted to stall and when I'd try to accelerate it would hesitate ~ do nothing ~ then all of a sudden lurch forward. This happens frequently while at a red lights too ~ shudder, then when the light turns green, hesitate upon acceleration and then lurch forward. Sometimes the check engine light would come on, often it would not. When the light did come on and stay on for several days, I'd take it in for service. The first trip, I was told no codes stored, nothing to be done, bring it back when it acts up again (June 07). Second time, replaced 02 sensor (Nov 07). Third time was told the computer was storing incorrect cylinder misfire codes. They replaced 24 valve retaining locks, cleaned the combustion chamber, rotated the valves and dumped the incorrect codes (Dec 07). The fourth visit they said it was due to a bad steering control module that was causing the computer to store incorrect codes again so they replaced the steering control module (April 10, 2008). The fifth and final time (April 21, 2008), I left my car with them for 11 days (insisted on a loaner because I was tired of being inconvenienced). After having the car for two days they called to ask me if the car acted up depending on level of gas in tank. I told them whether the tank was full or empty, or it was raining or shining had no bearing on when the car acted up. They said they'd have to dig a little deeper. A couple of days later I got another call from the dealer saying they thought they'd found the problem - there was a compression leak through an exhaust valve. So (without consulting me first) they took the heads off and sent them out to a local machine shop to be milled. They also had to replace a brake sensor. Car still shudders and hesitates, just more subtly. End of the line for me ~ enough is enough. I filed lemon law and have a hearing scheduled with DMV. I told the service manager I believe the car has a manufacturing defect. His response was first to blame it on bad gasoline and then blamed the government for making manufacturers set the parameters too wide on check engine lights. I called Chrysler Corp and was basically told too ****** bad ~ we've adhered to the terms of your warranty and suggested I call my attorney general. So I did.

Sinister08
07-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Mines a V6 and it shut off twice on me in the 3 months i've owned it. I do have 7500 miles on the car already though. Both times I was coming to a quick stop (nothing crazy like slamming on the brakes), the moment the car would come to a complete stop it would just shut off.

TallBlkEngr
08-01-2008, 04:52 PM
The stall happened to me for the first time last night around 10p. I had just accelerated (not showing off) to get into the turn around and stopped at the light. I didn't even know it had stalled because when the light turned green, I went for the accel. and nothing. I looked down and saw the oil light on. I put it in neutral and started it. It started right up and I went on my way.

When I got home, I did the key ON to ACC to ON to ACC to ON to see if I could have codes displayed. Never done this before, but I think I got it to work. Unfortunately, all it showed was dashes, meaning no codes. Maybe I should have done this immediately after the stall, but who's thinking about pulling codes when you're in a lane of traffic?

Mine is a Hemi, picked it up 9/21/07. About 9300 miles on it. And yes, I did fill up the tank with gas earlier in the evening but I never top off, especially with gas prices the way they are.

Gabe
08-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Part of the changes I do when I upload a Diablo tune is that I increase the idle RPM by 100 with A/C on in Drive, and by 50 RPM with A/C off ... I've never had any stalls, whether Diablo'd or not.

Has anybody had a stall happen after raising the idle RPM like I did ?

Phanta5m
08-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Part of the changes I do when I upload a Diablo tune is that I increase the idle RPM by 100 with A/C on in Drive, and by 50 RPM with A/C off ... I've never had any stalls, whether Diablo'd or not.

Has anybody had a stall happen after raising the idle RPM like I did ?

i wouldn't think so, but who knows

desertcharger
08-01-2008, 07:56 PM
I've never had a stall problem- predator or no.....
But I monitor the thread for the info