resonator [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: resonator

tramp
12-03-2005, 04:07 PM
this is the first car i have owned that has resonators. why are they there? and what happens when you remove them?

PaCharger
12-03-2005, 04:13 PM
car gets bassier - old school sound...not quite wub wub...but like you grew a pair of balls for the first time. Adds about 20% more volume. Adds a droning note around 2,000 rpms that can get annoying if you do a lot of 65 mph driving...other than that...frees some exhaust pressure...and sounds OUTSTANDING when you punch it. Like a muscle car, instead of dads buick...

tramp
12-03-2005, 04:17 PM
thinking about those turbine mufflers and taking off the resonators. would that have a negative effect on back pressure?

PaCharger
12-03-2005, 04:23 PM
personally, not sure we really need to worry that much about back pressure. When you take out the headers, catalytic converter, etc...then worry, till then...mod away. Let me know how you like the turbines. Try it..makes your car YOURS. Thats the key here....enjoy.

a14umbra
12-03-2005, 04:27 PM
personally, not sure we really need to worry that much about back pressure. When you take out the headers, catalytic converter, etc...then worry, till then...mod away. Let me know how you like the turbines. Try it..makes your car YOURS. Thats the key here....enjoy.

On the 11th, you'll need to drive by in the parking lot at 65mph so I can hear the drone :wink:

tramp
12-03-2005, 04:27 PM
went to a midas dealer out by me, said he would put on a set for $220 a piece. not a bad price, after christmas gift????

PaCharger
12-03-2005, 04:53 PM
On the 11th, you'll need to drive by in the parking lot at 65mph so I can hear the drone :wink:

funny, today i noted, it really only droned when it was cold, then it warmed up and went away.....i'll do something about it. Just put another 135 mp3s on a new disc...pretty sure that will make the drone go away.

Aerosmith, time to punch it up a bit. Need a driving MP3 folder.

have you tried saving folders on an MP3 disc? hmmmm....might have to try that.
then i could have driving tunes...make out tunes ....(all short songs)....laid back tunes...(gonna need a pipe), etc....

DJ

Paradog
12-03-2005, 08:22 PM
make out tunes ....(all short songs)
DJ

Not sure whether the laugh or cry!

naperguy
12-03-2005, 08:27 PM
(gonna need a pipe),

DJ

Don't worry PA - I'll let you borrow mine..... Maybe we can "make up" after our CAI discussion with that pipe..... LMAO

Crazy_luck
12-03-2005, 11:37 PM
funny, today i noted, it really only droned when it was cold, then it warmed up and went away.....i'll do something about it. Just put another 135 mp3s on a new disc...pretty sure that will make the drone go away.

Have you noticed your MDS kicking in and out since you removed the resonators? I can hear a distinct note change that I believe is the MDS kicking in/out.....

Bluonyx
12-04-2005, 07:26 AM
The tone is definitely different when the MDS kicks in. I noticed it the other day when I had to drive to Angel Stadium. Motorcross tickets baby!

MangoInTX
12-04-2005, 08:19 AM
They should have named the resonators "Anti-resonators". Give me resonation!

PaCharger
12-04-2005, 09:26 AM
yeah i can tell...its not real subtle either...it almost sounds like i punched the throttle a bit...only didn't. I had a 150 mile roundtrip yesterday on mostly highway, so i got used to where it popped in and out...of course i sat starting at the mpg avg on the evic display too.

Hhehe

Hell Driver
12-04-2005, 10:57 AM
i live in calfornia. Hearing all this great praise in regards to removing the resonator... would their removal violate California SMOG code?
I'm not too familiar with the smog "rules". I just know that they occasionally enforce Visual inspection too and if I remove the resonators I will fail. :mad:

PaCharger
12-04-2005, 01:16 PM
resonator does not have any exhaust filtration function...simply a quieting device. Your catalytic converter is your chief "smog" filtration device. Hope this helps.