Thump under car while driving ?????? [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Thump under car while driving ??????

mywhitecharger
12-02-2005, 02:03 PM
OK - this is really getting under my skin.

While I am driving (usually around 40-50mph) there is an audible thump under my car. It seems to come from the area under my passenger side front seat. I have had the car for about 3500 miles and this has only happened a hand full of times.
When it does happen I try and take notice to anything I am doing differently in the hopes that I can reproduce the sound. No dice.

I called the dealer to ask if anyone has reported similar issues. No dice.

I left the car with the dealer to fix some other issues and the THUMP. They said they drove it and didn't hear anything. I felt like saying "No Sh$t"
It's intermittent and VERY annoying.

They said they will go for a ride with me and try to have me reproduce it. I told him they would have to drive to work with me for the next month and hope that it happens.

I'm scared that it is something waiting to break and will leave me stranded.
They won't flash the computer b/c they say that TSBs aren't for "noise" realted problems.

HAS ANYONE HAD THIS ISSUE????

What to do, What to do.

UA_who
12-02-2005, 02:18 PM
That's tough to nail down. I'd try and pay attention to WHERE you are the next time you hear it. It could be you are driving over something (change in asphalt, concrete, pot hole, etc.)

mywhitecharger
12-02-2005, 02:27 PM
That's tough to nail down. I'd try and pay attention to WHERE you are the next time you hear it. It could be you are driving over something (change in asphalt, concrete, pot hole, etc.)

Good idea - I've tried to take notice and have never notice going over a bump or anything. But it could be a subtle bump.

It just drives me nuts.

Hemiready
12-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Good idea - I've tried to take notice and have never notice going over a bump or anything. But it could be a subtle bump.

It just drives me nuts.
I'm really glad you brought this up mywhitecharger. This has happened to me about 1/2 dozen times. Each time I try to justify it by telling myself I must have kicked something up in the road that hit the bottom of the car. Can't be so many times and it is really annoying. I wish I had an answer for you but so far I haven't found a common thread to explain it. I'm assuming eventually something will fall off or the gremlin will release itself from the underside of the car.

holdenoversoul
12-02-2005, 02:51 PM
You probably just ran over something that fell off a Pustang.

mywhitecharger
12-02-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm really glad you brought this up mywhitecharger. This has happened to me about 1/2 dozen times. Each time I try to justify it by telling myself I must have kicked something up in the road that hit the bottom of the car. Can't be so many times and it is really annoying. I wish I had an answer for you but so far I haven't found a common thread to explain it. I'm assuming eventually something will fall off or the gremlin will release itself from the underside of the car.

I'll have her jacked up this weekend to paint the calipers so I'm going try shaking some things around under there and see if anything is loose. I'm guessing NOT otherwise it would happen more frequently.

Khaleal
12-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Do you have the stock exhaust on or an aftermarket? I had the same thing happen after my magnaflow system was put on- the exhaust was on the crossmember. They had to cut and reweld it on except this time they pushed up the center chamber so If I hit a bump it would not hit the crossmember.

mywhitecharger
12-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Do you have the stock exhaust on or an aftermarket? I had the same thing happen after my magnaflow system was put on- the exhaust was on the crossmember. They had to cut and reweld it on except this time they pushed up the center chamber so If I hit a bump it would not hit the crossmember.

Stock exhaust.

It's not over bumps though. It is very hard to explain.

I don't have MDS either. SXT

spoonerock
12-02-2005, 03:04 PM
What are you talking about?....................

..........OOPS, I thought it said "Thumb" under car while driving??????

Nevermind :embarrese

moparfan
12-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Is the "thump" similar to the sound you get in the thread you posted here...?

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3700

Hemiready
12-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Is the "thump" similar to the sound you get in the thread you posted here...?

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3700
If its what I felt then ones a bump and the other is a thump. The thump happens while moving and it feels like something bounced off the bottom of the car.

mywhitecharger
12-03-2005, 05:08 AM
If its what I felt then ones a bump and the other is a thump. The thump happens while moving and it feels like something bounced off the bottom of the car.

Thank you for this post.

Yes - that is exactly correct - two different threads. Two different problems.
I wouldn't start another thread about the same thing.

C'mon now.

Hemiready
12-03-2005, 10:46 PM
Thank you for this post.

Yes - that is exactly correct - two different threads. Two different problems.
I wouldn't start another thread about the same thing.

C'mon now.

I know :happy:
Bumps a bump and a thumps a thump!
Any luck finding the source?
I've put this on the "turn the radio up louder and ignore" list for now.
More concerned about the whining sound from the tranny. Some folks with that sound have later had tranny failures.

hopster
12-03-2005, 10:49 PM

One word: Squirrels. (Nature's little speed bumps):whistle:

MYSTR8
12-03-2005, 11:47 PM
I've had the Thump once .. sounded like either a dog ran into the right rear fender or I hit a pot hole with only the right rear tire and there was no bump. Inspected the car the next morning .. nothing. Sounded like it was between the rear passenger tire and the rear bumper. We'll see if it happens again ... I'm only up to 289 miles.

hopster
12-04-2005, 06:05 AM
Suspension ???? :confused:

mywhitecharger
12-04-2005, 06:47 AM
I think it's in the tranny. It seems like it's when I'm at an in between speed for 4th and 5th and the tranny just wants to shift up for some reason. Not sure if this is the problem or not.

I'll take the jerk at the dealer for a ride and see if I can make it happen.

UGH.

thanks for the input fellas.

ChargerS.X.T
01-30-2007, 11:14 AM
mywhitecharger

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's in the tranny. It seems like it's when I'm at an in between speed for 4th and 5th and the tranny just wants to shift up for some reason. Not sure if this is the problem or not.

I'll take the jerk at the dealer for a ride and see if I can make it happen.

UGH.

thanks for the input fellas.

Any updates??

I am experiencing the same thing. It only bumps once and it's only in the morning (cold) after accelerating hard. The rest of the day it's quiet.

MCO_Carter
01-30-2007, 01:09 PM
If you ran over my grandma I'm gonna give you a dirty look. :cry:

adam_woodworth
02-27-2010, 08:18 PM
I might be experiencing something similar. I drive about 20 miles to work (one way) every day. Ever since i changed my oil about 2000 miles ago, i get one really loud thump noise on each trip to and from work. It seems to come from the passenger floor board area. It happens at different times each trip and at different spots on the road. i don't notice any bumps in the road at the time either. It seems to occur when the car is almost completely warmed up and only one time from the time i start the car to when i shut it off. I can't pinpoint any reoccurring theme when it makes the noise. At first, i thought a rock came loose and hit the plastic wheel well, but since it occurs once every trip, that can't be it (plus, my front tires are almost worn to the wear mark, so not a lot of grip to hold too many rocks).
Any ideas?

08Black3.5SE+
02-27-2010, 10:29 PM
holy thread revival batman....

ChargerS.X.T
02-28-2010, 09:55 AM
I might be experiencing something similar. I drive about 20 miles to work (one way) every day. Ever since i changed my oil about 2000 miles ago, i get one really loud thump noise on each trip to and from work. It seems to come from the passenger floor board area. It happens at different times each trip and at different spots on the road. i don't notice any bumps in the road at the time either. It seems to occur when the car is almost completely warmed up and only one time from the time i start the car to when i shut it off. I can't pinpoint any reoccurring theme when it makes the noise. At first, i thought a rock came loose and hit the plastic wheel well, but since it occurs once every trip, that can't be it (plus, my front tires are almost worn to the wear mark, so not a lot of grip to hold too many rocks).
Any ideas?

Mine never went away and didn't get louder. I took it in to get looked at and of course it can't be duplicated. It's not loud enough and it only thumps once past 2500 rpms and it can't be duplicated again until the car cools down. Did you buy used? When did it begin making the noise?

adam_woodworth
02-28-2010, 12:03 PM
I did buy used. I bought a 2006 RT in Dec 09 with about 65000 miles on it. The noise didn't start until about a month ago. I am wondering if it has anything to do with some of the interior metal sheet work under the carpet warming up with the heat blowing on the floor and then popping when it flexes? That might be a long shot...

It sounds like someone thumping a big piece of plastic with their fist. ...Or maybe the sound of a dent being popped out.

Hell Driver
03-08-2010, 11:50 AM
be sure to check your transmission fluid. I've had thumping while driving.
It usually occurred when in automatic mode and I accelerate and then release the gas just as the car shifts into the next gear. I took it into the shop and they found fluid leaking from the tranny. I was a little low so they fixed the leak and refilled it. The thumping went away.

WARPFACTOR
03-10-2010, 12:17 AM
I recently had a similar sound on my 07 Daytona and the dealer discovered a defective lower ball joint on the right side after only 15K. the noise is gone. I also agree with UA-WHO. There is a street that I drive on near my house that makes the car generate a thumping sound. I discovered that there were little uneven ripples in the new pavement which caused it.

BlackChargerRT
03-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Im getting the exact same noise from mine...I can clearly hear it when Im rolling at 40mph and when Im driving at about 60mph. It sounds like I have a flat tire in my front passenger side but its not. Its weird that its a continuous thump while driving....I also feel it slightly in the steering wheel. Any advice or similar? I took it to the dealer twice and they change a stub and my tie rods and still have that thumping noise....

BlackChargerRT
03-14-2010, 07:16 PM
BUMP....anyone have a solution for me on what might be causing this?

Manicmechanic
03-14-2010, 07:27 PM
I've had a sound issue of some sorts for a while, my thought is out of balance wheel/tire. I have put my stock rims on since I am working the SRT's and getting new tires but I haven't driven it enough to replicate the sound. My next thought is plastic related, belly pan, fender-well or rear diffuser. Mine is a comes and goes sound instead of a one time event each day.

Black Bullet
03-14-2010, 10:20 PM
I had a thump under mine it was a bent cross member that runs over the exhaust/driveshaft. Straightened it out all is good - drove me NUTS for months.