Acceleration Hesitates???? [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Acceleration Hesitates????

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Hi,
I just bought a new 2007 Charger Road/Track Performance package. The sales manager had put 400 miles on it. I have been noticing that from a dead stop in [D] Automatic, when I gun it.... it has a slight hesitation before it picks up.. Is this normal or do I want to take it back in to the dealer and ask them about it. I have a 2003 F7 Arctic Cat Snomobile that does the same thing when you floor it .... First a bog then a bat out of hell. Anyone who knows what it is like that can loose precious seconds when racing. Please can anyone tell me if that is normal...
5.7 Hemi, I don't think this should happen.:cry:

Spankis
05-16-2007, 05:23 PM
This is most likely the ESP ( traction control, basically ) sensing wheel spin and cutting power to keep you "in control". If it's REALLY sudden and obvious then that's probably what's going on. Try it after hitting the ESP button on the dash, near the center A/C vents....that should "fix" things a bit :).

nCHARGE
05-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Drive her hard...... HAL needs to learn they way YOU want the car to respond.

Daytona 226
05-16-2007, 05:26 PM
It's your ESP hooking up! It won't allow you to spin the tires. Turn it off, button on dash, and let her rip!!!

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 05:26 PM
This is happening with the ESP Off...? The dash does not show the car with the squiggly lines. Thats Off right? Do I need to manually shift because of overdrive?

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Wont Break the tires loose.....either

GotACharger
05-16-2007, 05:29 PM
This is happening with the ESP Off...? The dash does not show the car with the squiggly lines. Thats Off right? Do I need to manually shift because of overdrive?

ESP is partially off when you SEE the sqiggly lines.

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Partially?.......And I really appreciate your guys help
This is the first chrysler I have ever owned

Absocharged
05-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Welcome to the madness

Spankis
05-16-2007, 05:31 PM
ESP "off" is when the squiggly lines show up on the dash - yes

However, even ESP "off" is not completely disabled on R/T versions, only on SRT's

The ESP computer programming is adaptive, so it will learn your driving style. For example, if you drive it like crazy and try to burn out a lot, then it will learn you want less interference and will make it easier the next time(s) you try it. If you drive it like a grandma, however, it will stay with the same extra-conservative program it currently has.

As for shifting manually, you might find some gain by putting it in 1st w/ the Autostick, but the gain is probably negligible.

GotACharger
05-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Wont Break the tires loose.....either It get better as it breaks in.... about 3500 or 4000 miles it will act alot better. I can break the tires loose and even get the rear end scoot over just a bit on launch.I have 20000 miles and she is 24 months old.:grin:

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 05:35 PM
You guys are great ........!!! I really appreciate the help
and I won't try to drive it like a grandma....LOL
It should be able to break the tires loose right?

Spankis
05-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Indeed, it has MORE than enough power to do so once all the electronic baby-sitter's quit their b*tching :). If you're looking for COMPLETE removal of ESP interference, do a search for the "NO-ESP mod", it lets you switch it on and off completely!

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Will that void the warranty or harm the engine?

arfur
05-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Welcome Tricky - and I see you've met our nemesis HAL.

:grin:

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Yeah.. HAL seems to have had me worried a bit.
Thank you all for your warm welcoming

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Cant wait to smoke my first mustang.......With ESP Off

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 05:48 PM
What Movie was HAL From.... I cant place it but I know what your talking about.

arfur
05-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Will that void the warranty or harm the engine?
Well - it could void various 'wiring' and 'system' warranties, but as to the entire vehicle...like a crankshaft failure...I doubt it. But like all mods - you pays your money and you makes your choice.

No - you cannot harm the engine - the rev limiter still works - it won't LET you actually get it to a rotational speed that will cause damage. However, ragging the nuts off of an engine does reduce it's over-all life...but that might not be too much of a problem for ya. :)

GotACharger
05-16-2007, 05:50 PM

Space Odessey 2000 and 2001

arfur
05-16-2007, 05:51 PM
2001: A Space Odyssey. :)

Mecha
05-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Hi,
I just bought a new 2007 Charger Road/Track Performance package. The sales manager had put 400 miles on it. I have been noticing that from a dead stop in [D] Automatic, when I gun it.... it has a slight hesitation before it picks up.. Is this normal or do I want to take it back in to the dealer and ask them about it. I have a 2003 F7 Arctic Cat Snomobile that does the same thing when you floor it .... First a bog then a bat out of hell. Anyone who knows what it is like that can loose precious seconds when racing. Please can anyone tell me if that is normal...
5.7 Hemi, I don't think this should happen.:cry:

first calibrate the gas pedel.

close the doors.
turn the key to on.
wait for all the lights on the dash to go out.
wait 10 sec
steadily depress the gas pedel. to WOT.
then return with the same speed that you depressed it.
wait 5 sec more.
turn the ign off.

the PCM will now have the gas pedel calibrated.

also as a safety feature.
the tranny wont engage when you shift into D from any other gear because it waits will the clutches and gears to be in the right position then engages.

its a safety feature according to the SRT engineers to protect the tranny.

fluffykush
05-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Its the way the drive-by-wire works. all cars with this system have the same hesitation.

Just do a search on google, keywords: drive-by-wire hesitation and you will see all different makes and models having the same issue.

ProMotionTuning
05-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Sounds also like a small Drive By Wire hesitation... what do the pros think??/

arfur
05-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Sounds also like a small Drive By Wire hesitation... what do the pros think??/
Well - if you take it out of gear and press down on the throttle...it's pretty instantaneous in my ride.

Therefore, having it in gear is more a factor of the various systems making the necessary calculations before applying torque..IMHO.

Seriously - if I press the throttle in 'N' the engine revs immediately. So I do NOT think it is just a 'drive by wire' thing.

Also, my two previous cars in the UK were drive by wire. They did not put anything like the torque out that this monster does and throttle activation was just the same as with a wire.

OK - you can shoot me down now.... :nervous s

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Cool Guys Im going for a ride NOW gotta break those tires in now that I know whats going on, This is a great forum and you all have been a tremendous help. Im sure the dealer will be happy that I am not calling them every day too, talk with you all real soon and remember alway keep the rubber side down. Thanks Rick

ProMotionTuning
05-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Well - if you take it out of gear and press down on the throttle...it's pretty instantaneous in my ride.

Therefore, having it in gear is more a factor of the various systems making the necessary calculations before applying torque..IMHO.

Seriously - if I press the throttle in 'N' the engine revs immediately. So I do NOT think it is just a 'drive by wire' thing.

Also, my two previous cars in the UK were drive by wire. They did not put anything like the torque out that this monster does and throttle activation was just the same as with a wire.

Makes sense... just asking... I know DBW Wont be an issue when HP Tuners come out!

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Q? What exactly is Drive by Wire

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 06:13 PM
Im going to try the ESP and Gas Pedal Thing right away. I am kindof a retard, cause I never read my owners manual and thought that when the indicator light was lit it meant it was On not OFF. DUH

ProMotionTuning
05-16-2007, 06:14 PM
The throttle body is what allows air into the intake plenum to allow the air into the combustion chamber. The way this used to be opened and closed was by a cable wire attached to the back of the pedal and ran thru the firewall directly to the Throttle Body butterfly. Now the pedal sends a electronic command to the ECU then the ECU tell the Throttle body to open.... There is obviously a delay... once you learn that part, Ask me what Power Enrichment is and you will really hate technology... :)

arfur
05-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Q? What exactly is Drive by Wire
For many years, the throttle was controlled by a cable. Now, they are controlled by an electrical signal to a servo fed by a signal from a potentiometer at the throttle.

In other words, there is no mechanical linkage anymore...... It's all electrical wires. :)

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Dammit.... Too Much Info.. I Think I Will Just Turn Off The Esp For Now..........lol

arfur
05-16-2007, 06:17 PM
The throttle body is what allows air into the intake plenum to allow the air into the combustion chamber. The way this used to be opened and closed was by a cable wire attached to the back of the pedal and ran thru the firewall directly to the Throttle Body butterfly. Now the pedal sends a electronic command to the ECU then the ECU tell the Throttle body to open.... There is obviously a delay... once you learn that part, Ask me what Power Enrichment is and you will really hate technology... :)
Just a little note on this.

Aircraft have been moving towards 'drive by wire' for a while. If you understand the inherent instability of some aero designs, you would realise that control surfaces need to react very quickly in most situations. These systems are quick - and extremely accurate. :)

Mechanical linkages are not the be-all and end-all. Also - don't electrons move at close to the speed of light...? :grin:

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Going to do the Gas Pedal Calibration and Take a test drive now with ESP Off. I come back and let you know how it goes on this thread. Thanks again Guys.!!!!!!!!!!!!

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Oh yeah when mecha said to turn key to on did he mean start the engine to calibrate the pedal? page 3

08MagRacer
05-16-2007, 06:24 PM
also the hemis dont produce much horsepower off the line
u have to wait till you hit 4000rpm

arfur
05-16-2007, 06:25 PM
also the hemis dont produce much horsepower off the line
u have to wait till you hit 4000rpm
HP isn't the problem - it's the torque......

ProMotionTuning
05-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Torque Management!!

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 06:52 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a difference with the ESP OFF. NOW THATS THE CAR I THOUGHT I WAS BUYING. SSSSSSSSAAAAAAWEEEEEET... What a difference Time to TUNE...!!!!! 1st Step K&N 2nd Step New Exhaust.

ProMotionTuning
05-16-2007, 06:54 PM
We need a good tuning program!!

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 06:55 PM
A friend said he knows someone who will Dyno Tune it after I put the Bolt On's on it.

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Do you sell parts ?

ProMotionTuning
05-16-2007, 07:30 PM
yes we sell parts on our company website....

however can you ask your friend how he plans to tune the car? I am an EFI Certified Tuner and have found nothing close to allowing me any complete control over the ecu

thanks
james

trickyricky
05-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Sure James I will get back to you on that when I talk to him. He may be just blowing smoke who knows....

maansman
05-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Mine was sort of the same way when I got it........what the above posts say...let HAL learn your driving....my car responded much better over time....(before my mods...).....My car has 4,000 miles on it...and it's just getting warmed up!

- Mark

ProMotionTuning
05-17-2007, 05:30 AM
Sure James I will get back to you on that when I talk to him. He may be just blowing smoke who knows....

Looking forward to it definitely!

indianajones
05-17-2007, 09:58 PM

Try this: with the tranny in park, and the engine idling, give the accelerator two small, quick taps with your foot. Just enough to have raised the RPMs to 1500 or so. The engine will rev only once; slowly it goes up, slowly it goes down. Two foot-taps, one engine rev. My 2000 Durango 4.7 drive-by-wire has this exact behavior. It sucks big-time. My old '72 400 carbureted Charger did not - two taps, two engine revs.

This car has a ton of power, but feels more like the way a jet gradually pulls you down the runway rather than snap your neck like my old Charger did. This is electronics - there ought to be a way to fix this.

baldyloxs
05-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Its the drive by wire .

fluffykush
05-18-2007, 02:24 PM
I've read about other cars that are having this engine lag and they came out with an update to fix it for some cars. Hopefully they will have an update for chargers. Also, someone mentioned putting on a CAI reduces the lag to where you almost don't feel it anymore.