Zoomer Exhaust Sound [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Zoomer Exhaust Sound

GoingHemi
11-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Since I know a lot of you have the Zoomers, I am curious if you have the same issue I have. I had mine installed last night. I noticed that though I love the sound....it seems like the sound of the exhaust inside the car is loader than outside the car, through first and second gear...then it goes almost quiet inside the car. It's a great sound...but I'm not sure how much my son, who will be in back, is going to like that when we are taking off from stop lights all the time. I'm not sure what "resonance" is in the advertisement, but I think this is it.....don't know if it means that the welds on the exhaust have a leak or what is causing it. Maybe it's normal...I wanted to hear from the other Zoomers owners and see if I have something wrong.....

Thanks all....

ANTMAG06
11-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Since I know a lot of you have the Zoomers, I am curious if you have the same issue I have. I had mine installed last night. I noticed that though I love the sound....it seems like the sound of the exhaust inside the car is loader than outside the car, through first and second gear...then it goes almost quiet inside the car. It's a great sound...but I'm not sure how much my son, who will be in back, is going to like that when we are taking off from stop lights all the time. I'm not sure what "resonance" is in the advertisement, but I think this is it.....don't know if it means that the welds on the exhaust have a leak or what is causing it. Maybe it's normal...I wanted to hear from the other Zoomers owners and see if I have something wrong.....

Thanks all....

First you have nothing wrong with your exhaust....I do not know how much of a motor head you are so I do not want to insult you...

The sound you are hearing is the sound of HP. It is exhaust. Any aftermarket exhaust system is going to be louder than stock. Trust me it is not louder inside your car that on the outside. Even with your window down if you are driving you cannot hear what it sounds like behind your car. Your son will love it...At least mine does. If you had "resonance" you would know it. You would not be able to hear anyone talking inside your car and when you talk it would sound like talking into a fan because of the vibration. I do not think this is what you are hearing.

GoingHemi
11-05-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm not really a gear head, so it's ok.

It gets pretty loud through second gear mainly. It almost sounds like when there is bass music in your car for a long period of time (pressurization)...the growl that you hear outside the car is magnified and fills the cabin.....to be honest...it's load enough that it starts to down out the sterio at normal to loud listening levels. But, as soon as it shifts into third gear...it goes away.... It's not annoying to me...cause I think it sounds mean. I just wanted to know if it was normal. When you step on the gas...the exhaust gets loader as you accelerate...but then it sounds like you have your head near the tip through second...and then from third on...it goes away and pretty quiet like the stock exhaust. I didn't have the stock exhaust on 24 hours...so it's not that I'm comparing it to that. I had the Zoomers waiting on my car. ;) THey sound great...just wanted to know from owners like yourself if you experienced anything like that too. It's exaggerated when all of the windows are up...if you have a window down...or sunroof open...it's not nearly as loud inside (due to sound waves not being trapped in the car...I guess).

You get anything like this....

ANTMAG06
11-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Well yea it is supposed to sound like that. In lower gears your engine runs at higher RPM working the engine harder and creating more exhaust. What I think it real cool about Zoomers (I think all aftermarket exhaust) you can hear the MDS when it kicks in at high gear. I am able to get my average MPG to get up to about 27 MPG just being able to keep it in MDS longer on the highway.

Do you have a CAI yet? If not when and if you do the sound will be even louder threw 1st and 2nd gear.

GoingHemi
11-05-2005, 09:08 PM
That was something I was curious about too...I don't know what to listen for for MDS. I heard that you could hear the difference...but I don't know if I can.

I tried to put my K&N in today and I was short two nuts (the kind that attach to bolts...LOL) :) So, I have to run to home depot tomorrow and try again.

ANTMAG06
11-05-2005, 09:16 PM
When at high gear...You will hear your exhaust start to hum real low that is MDS. If you push down on the pedal it will go away because you have taken it out of MDS.

Good luck with your nuts..............LMFAO :laugh: :wink:

GoingHemi
11-05-2005, 09:17 PM
I'll listen for that tomorrow on the way to church....

Did you have to reset that when you put on your CAI? Did you have the dealer do it...or did you follow some instructions somewhere?

I'll find my nuts.... ;)

ANTMAG06
11-05-2005, 09:24 PM
I did all of my mods myself except for the chin spoiler. I never disconnected the battery so I never had to do any resets. The resets are in the manual and they are posted here on the forum some were. You do not have to bring it to the dealer to do any resets.

GoingHemi
11-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Ya know....with the Zoomers....I'm thinking the headers I have in the garage now...would be too much....I'm worried that GoDaddy will have a real Nascar when he gets his on (figuring his Borlas are louder than our Zoomers)....

ANTMAG06
11-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Header!!! You have headers also??? You would be crazy not to put them on. My next two mods will be headers and the Jet stage II. The wife has my mods on hold until after we move into our new house.

I think after you install your header you will see the biggest improvements.

GoingHemi
11-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Worried it might be obnoxiously loud though.....but, I have heard we will get the most performance gain from them.

ANTMAG06
11-05-2005, 09:43 PM
If you do not want them I will give you my address....LOL

Better yet give me yours I will pick them up..................Maybe, only on the east coast

GoingHemi
11-05-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm in the midwest... ;) Going to hang onto them for now... ;)

ANTMAG06
11-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Good luck with that....I know if I had to look at them everyday sitting on the floor I would go nuts

GoingHemi
11-05-2005, 09:53 PM
I have to save some money to have them put on....a days worth of labor isn't cheap. LOL :) Think I'm going to have the dealer to it...looked under there while they were putting on the exhaust....there is NO ROOM in there...WOW.. it's tight...