180 degree t stat [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: 180 degree t stat

poston84
03-13-2007, 10:40 PM
is there really a noticeable difference in that way the charger runs with a jet 180 degree t stat.

Junior
03-13-2007, 11:28 PM
The short answer is no.

Here's a longer answer: The cooler you can keep the motor, the more power you will keep in reserve, so to speak. Once the coolant temp reaches 200* or so, you start "bleeding" power due to heatsoak. A lower temp thermostat will open earlier, thereby letting the entire cooling circuit circulate. On the highway, with ambient temps lower than 90* or so, you'll run roughly what your thermostat is rated. In traffic, without a fan mod, you'll run significantly higher, due to there being no airflow over the cooling fins of the radiator.

As long as you don't live in the frozen North, you will benefit from a lower t-stat, but without a fan mod, you won't really see it much. Even with a fan mod and a 170 t-stat, it's one of those things that you'll know is working by monitoring your temps, but will you feel it in the seat of your pants? No.

It's an easy swapout and fairly cheap to do, and even though you might not feel it, it will help keep your motor running cooler, which is always a good thing.

fastduo
03-13-2007, 11:31 PM
To continue this please, what is the fan mod? Is is a manual switch of some kind or are you manipulating the activation electronically. Also will these mods voild the warranty?

Junior
03-14-2007, 12:14 AM
To continue this please, what is the fan mod? Is is a manual switch of some kind or are you manipulating the activation electronically. Also will these mods voild the warranty?

There is some good info on the forums concerning fan mods in detail, but basically it's a switch mounted inside the cabin somewhere within driver's reach that activates a cooling fan up front. Search for "GSM mod" or "fan mod" or go HERE (http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25225) for RTjunkie's fan mod write-up.

It's unlikely that you'll have any warranty trouble down the road, but you could - it really depends on your dealer, and whether they're helpful or spiteful - there are both kinds. The thing with voiding the warranty is that the dealer has to conclude that the mod you did caused the failure they see... so if your fan blows up, they may point to the fan mod as the culprit. If your tranny goes out, your fan mod won't have any bearing on that (unless they prove it did.) So, it's not an easy question to answer...

Somebody ask me what color my Daytona is!!! :grin:

fastduo
03-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the info. I haven't had good luck here in Miami with modded cars and car dealers. Most were Mustangs though.

BTW. What color is your Daytona?:confused:

Junior
03-14-2007, 12:45 AM
BTW. What color is your Daytona?:confused:

Funny you should ask. It's not an easy question to answer, because it's called "Top Banana" but most people say "yellow". The paint code is PYH, which makes it "Solar Yellow Clearcoat", so I really don't know. :whistle:

:grin: