Charger Forums banner

Checking Transmission Fluid Level

28K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  JakeM989 
#1 ·
My 2006 Charger 3.5L SE doesn't have a dipstick for the tranny. I was told by several dealers that you have to bring the car in in-order to have the tranny fluid checked. The reason being that too many people put the wrong fluids in the tranny dipstick tube (i.e. filling their engine oil in the tranny dipstick tube!), and Dodge wanted to eliminate these mishaps; so they ditched the dipstick. Apparently, Dodge dealers have a special "tool" that they use to check tranny fluid (Ya, It's a DIPSTICK!!!). Anyone run into this issue before, and if-so, were you able to get your hands on a dipstick?

#16 ·
Get a universal dipstick. it will be flexible, about 2.5 ft or 0.762 M. and you can remove the ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) fluid cap. shove that in there until it bottoms out and read like an oil dipstick. be careful if you recently added ATF fluid because it will rub on the way down and make it harder to read the actual level. Also the fluid reading is dependent on the temperature the car is at. if the car is cold it should read anywhere from 24 - 26 ml. (its been awhile since we serviced a transmission at my dealership so i don't remember the exact numbers. on the last one we did the engine was at 130 F, and the range was 32 - 36 ml

#5 ·
Additional equipment also needed....

To check the transmission fluid in our cars you need a special dipstick and a StarScan tool. The filler tube is sealed off and according to my dealer is dealer serviceable only.

Hope this information helps.

Brian T. Carotenuto

#13 ·
To check the transmission fluid in our cars you need a special dipstick and a StarScan tool. The filler tube is sealed off and according to my dealer is dealer serviceable only.

Hope this information helps.

Brian T. Carotenuto
The starscan is to verify proper fluid temp when checked. Improper temp can result in fluid being 1 qt off

#6 ·
I would imagine that the StarScan tool measures the diagnostics of the performance of the tranny, and would not be necessary to simply check the level/color of the fluid. Therefore, all one would need, is a good 'ole fashioned dipstick. FYI, Dodge isn't the only manufacturer that eliminated tranny dipsticks; I know for a fact that Cadillac did also.

#7 ·
Every Ford Explorer after 2002 doesnt have a dipstick, as do numerous other vehicles.

This isn't done because you're a moron.

It's because technology has progressed to the point that they can have a closed tranny system that does not need to be serviced unless there is something wrong.

So get over yourselves!!

#8 ·
Every Ford Explorer after 2002 doesnt have a dipstick, as do numerous other vehicles.

This isn't done because you're a moron.

It's because technology has progressed to the point that they can have a closed tranny system that does not need to be serviced unless there is something wrong.

So get over yourselves!!
I was never under myself.

#9 ·
That's the excuse dealers give you. "It's not you, it's technology." Not to mention, most dealerships make their money from service, not sales. So why not cap off the tranny dipstick and force people to schedule another appointment in order to have their fluid checked. As far as trannies not needing service, i wouldn't go that far. This whole dipstick incident I brought up evolved because my transmission was leaking. I never saw puddles of fluid; and i have a gravel driveway, so it would be tough to notice if there were a puddle. When i went to change my oil, I noticed the leak. i immediately went to check my fluid level (not knowing how long it had been leaking) and discovered the missing dipstick. Best part is, when i called my dealer, they asked what my fluid level was at!

#11 · (Edited)
That's the excuse dealers give you. "It's not you, it's technology." Not to mention, most dealerships make their money from service, not sales. So why not cap off the tranny dipstick and force people to schedule another appointment in order to have their fluid checked. As far as trannies not needing service, i wouldn't go that far. This whole dipstick incident I brought up evolved because my transmission was leaking. I never saw puddles of fluid; and i have a gravel driveway, so it would be tough to notice if there were a puddle. When i went to change my oil, I noticed the leak. i immediately went to check my fluid level (not knowing how long it had been leaking) and discovered the missing dipstick. Best part is, when i called my dealer, they asked what my fluid level was at!
Now that is irony at it's finest. :lol: :knockout:

#10 ·
My point being, if my dealer couldn't get to my car for days or even a week, i would have checked the level and topped off the fluid until the issue was fixed. But since i can't do that now, i run the risk of running the fluid dangerously low and causing the trans to blow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.