Lifter Noise [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Lifter Noise

nCHARGE
10-21-2005, 10:36 PM
Do you guys/gals hear lifter or ticking noise when the car is at idle or punching it? It doesnt seem to get worse at any speed, its just there. Its been doing this from day one. I know I read before thats is normal for the HEMI to do so. Just wondering if we all hear the same thing. A little worried.

moparfan
10-21-2005, 10:40 PM
Not sure if you care since it is a different engine, but I don't hear any "lifter noise" in the 6.1L

It's hard to hear anything over that deafening roar it puts out at WOT. :whistle:

DCXer
10-22-2005, 07:16 AM
Amazing........I was going to post on this very topic. I have the lifter noise as well and have had it since day one. It's more of an annoyance than anything else, but I'm sure there is a way to stop it. Perhaps a different oil or something would work. That seemed to cure the problem on my old car.

rander
10-22-2005, 07:20 AM
My Daytona has it as well as my 05 Durango with the a 5.7 engine. I figured since both have it it's by design. :)

jpagan
10-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Not in my R/T...

Dodgem
10-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Lifeter noise is inherent in the design of a pushrod V-8. Sometimes it may sound louder, other times not, but it's always there. Nothing to worry about. :)

PaCharger
10-22-2005, 08:55 AM
good topic...most hemis, at idle, you can hear a lifter noise...and it doesnt sound like all of them...kind of a sporadic occasional one, just on tempo.

heard it on all 3 i test drove, and hear it on my own...but only at idle for some reason...never heard it when i punched it.

KurbyRTHemi
10-22-2005, 09:15 AM
The FAMOUS HEMI TICK....... I got it, and ever other 345 cu inch Hemi engine I've has it.......

nCHARGE
10-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the info. Glad I'm not alone in this. Feel a little better now. A little.

milkdud99
10-22-2005, 09:48 AM
is it lifter noises or a lifter CLACK... two totally different things. if you can here the lifters moving than thats fine, but clack is the rocker arms too loose. You'd have to take the valve covers off and tighten them till the clack stops +1/4 to 1 turn (while the car is running) it might be somthing you'd want DXC to cover... of course that is if it is the clack.

nCHARGE
10-22-2005, 09:51 AM
No clack... just ticking.

nCHARGE
10-22-2005, 10:11 AM
Amazing........I was going to post on this very topic. I have the lifter noise as well and have had it since day one. It's more of an annoyance than anything else, but I'm sure there is a way to stop it. Perhaps a different oil or something would work. That seemed to cure the problem on my old car.

Yea, even though they say it needs the hi-vis oil for the MDS, I would love to throw some 10w - 30w in her.

Go Brad Go
10-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Hemis are roller rockers. All roller rockers have a slight ticking sound to them when I didi my Magnum 360 to the 401 it was changed to rollers and it makes the same ticking sound, could also be the injectors as well. Valve clatter will change with rpm and usually be accompanied by blow by wich you would see in your air box return plenum hose.

Brad

RDBRT
10-23-2005, 03:39 PM
2nd vote for the injectors. Mine have been ticking since day 1

Michigan01
10-23-2005, 05:00 PM
I have an 04 Durango Hemi w/9000 miles on 'er. The noise has quieted down significantly since I first drove it new off the lot. My father-in-law has an 04 Ram Hemi with about 10000 miles, and I noticed the same with his. My Charger R/T however, sounds a bit ticky at idle @2000 miles. As with the other engines, I expect this will quiet down with a couple thousand miles more. I had the engine cover off today (just for the heck of it) and most of the noise under the hood is the injectors. This must be why the cover is lined with sound deadening foam (not just there to be pretty). The Charger is MDS and running on a thinner oil, so I am just speculating that the Hemi will quiet down. Now, the noise that worries me, is a zipping noise right around 4000/rpm till the shift point. Sounds almost like a solenoid or spark sound. But, could be valvetrain noise? Anyone else have a similar sound? Been to the dealership 2 times with it because the noise makes me feel uneasy. The first tech I took for a ride heard it before I could tell him when it started. Of course, the shop manager told me he couldn't hear a thing and assured me that nothing was wrong. The second trip was handled the same way except for a troubling statement by the manager, "are you leasing or buying?" Why would that matter? If anyone has a similar issue with "noise" and has had it resolved, please post.

GotACharger
10-23-2005, 06:22 PM
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167&highlight=lifter+noise

The zipping noise has been discussed before in the above thread ... I have questioned dealer on this and assured this was not a problem. Was told it was a solenoid for MDS... who knows 4950 miles and no problems as of yet matter of fact running stronger now than ever!

Michigan01
10-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks, GotACharger

I read through the post and feel more secure in knowing others have the same noise. At least if it blows, I wont be the only one getting the "whatever it is" fixed. Maybe now I should just concentrate on planning mods for my HemiBeast. To address the original question posted on this thread, I am reasonably sure that the Hemi will quiet down after some miles.

bigdaddy
12-05-2005, 08:43 PM
My Charger with only 4miles on it... has had the same exact noises. As matter of fact my g-friend also noticed the "ticking" without me telling her. So I'm sure it's normal. DON'T LOSE ANY SLEEP OVER IT!!! :asleep:

MYSTR8
12-05-2005, 10:21 PM
I like the ticking .. and the slightly rough idle .. it's just the Charger tapping it's fingers in boredom waiting for you to Put the Hammer Down!

southern sweetie
12-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Oh my god, I am glad I found this sight, My does the same thing. Had it to the shop the other day, and they told me it was normal. I only hear it when it is idle and when I start to take off. Spent big bucks on car, don't want any problems. Thanks Guys....I think the guys at the shop thought I was crazy, ticking noise,we don't hear anything, that's normal for the Hemi.

DodgeMan
12-22-2005, 02:18 PM
I have also heard an occasional lifter tick at idle but only when I first start the car....then again it's about 20 degrees in the mornings here. Once the car runs for a second or two the sound goes away. The car has zero weight (winter) oil.

dodgefan2
12-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Yes, the Hemi makes ALOT of valvetrain noise. Some are quieter than others, but all make some noise. If you looked at the design of the block and saw how high up in the casting the cam is located, you would understand why. The lifters insert almost horizontally into the block, the the pushrods are working at probably a 75 degree angle. Also, the aggressive roller cam with the steep ramps on the lobes make the valves slam shut quickly. Its set up so that DCX could make those heads flow. They basicly designed the ports, then did the valvetrain AROUND them.

I had a 5.7 truck in the shop with a loud tapping that would come and go after a long ride. We replaced the lifters and it cured it. Keep in mind you have to pull the heads off the replace the lifters, so don't go running to your dealer wanting new lifters. It's alot of work, not to mention chancing someone tearing apart your new engine.

Paul :santa: Happy Holidays everyone!

Rich L
01-20-2006, 11:06 AM
I have an 04 Durango Hemi w/9000 miles on 'er. The noise has quieted down significantly since I first drove it new off the lot. My father-in-law has an 04 Ram Hemi with about 10000 miles, and I noticed the same with his. My Charger R/T however, sounds a bit ticky at idle @2000 miles. As with the other engines, I expect this will quiet down with a couple thousand miles more. I had the engine cover off today (just for the heck of it) and most of the noise under the hood is the injectors. This must be why the cover is lined with sound deadening foam (not just there to be pretty). The Charger is MDS and running on a thinner oil, so I am just speculating that the Hemi will quiet down. Now, the noise that worries me, is a zipping noise right around 4000/rpm till the shift point. Sounds almost like a solenoid or spark sound. But, could be valvetrain noise? Anyone else have a similar sound? Been to the dealership 2 times with it because the noise makes me feel uneasy. The first tech I took for a ride heard it before I could tell him when it started. Of course, the shop manager told me he couldn't hear a thing and assured me that nothing was wrong. The second trip was handled the same way except for a troubling statement by the manager, "are you leasing or buying?" Why would that matter? If anyone has a similar issue with "noise" and has had it resolved, please post.

I have identical noise same rpms and everything. Wow I'm also releaved starting to seem normal.

joescat
01-20-2006, 02:17 PM
I guess I'm opposite - I only hear it at WOT. Since day 1, hour 1, minute - maybe 3. :happy:

PaCharger
01-20-2006, 02:21 PM
two sets of lifters on 4 cylinders too, for the mds...wonder if that doesn't add to the hemi clack....just a thought. Not sure how a lifter wouldnt move even during deactivation mode. Seems as though it has to revolve on the journal and make some sort of clack...

Indiana Hemi
01-20-2006, 03:03 PM
I don't think I have a tick yet.. Mine is more a little voice that faintly says: FEED ME FEED Me :D

Miz HeMi
01-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Well, I know what you're saying about the lifter noise, my Hemi has 4k on it, and it has a lifter noise. It has also had it since day one.

Then again my car was also back in the dealer the first night I brought it home, after a half an hour or so. I picked up the car at Security Dodge on Long Island, and drove it home. I proceeded to test drive it some more afterwards. I gassed it up, and took it out on some wide open roads and opened it up a little bit. I brought the car back home, and as soon as I turned onto my block, the car started dinging (the warning noise) and the engine light came on. The car also started shaking pretty bad. I called the dealer and told them I was bringing the car back. I didn't even make it that far. I made it a few blocks, and the car stalled. I coasted to the side of the road, and since my dad was with me, I let him try to start the car. The car didn't want to start. Therefore, I told the dealer to come pick up their car. The car was brought back to the dealer that night, and then I called the service manager the next morning to see if they had any news what was wrong with the car. The PCM Module went (power train control module). Then the fantastic service dept proceeded to tell me that they could not locate the part and that they would be happy to set me up with a rental. They also told me that after they found the PCM they couldn't find the software for it. This went on for 9 days. At that point the car had 41 miles on it. I didn't get the car back for two weeks, and they jerked me around the entire time. The dealer also promised me a lease payment which I never saw. However, the lifter noise. I've also had that since day one, and I wasn't concerned with it, but today my car stalled while I was driving it to do some errands about a half mile away from my house. I was in the middle of traffic waiting at a light, and the car just died. It started back up again after that, but the engine oil light came on, and I do have a problem with a lifter noise. I'm taking the car back to the dealer this week, and I know they aren't going to be happy to see me. I think you should get your lifter noise checked out. :angry:

moparnut
01-22-2006, 03:29 PM
sorry to hear of your problems mine seems good so far

Rich L
01-23-2006, 09:27 AM
I guess I'm opposite - I only hear it at WOT. Since day 1, hour 1, minute - maybe 3. :happy:

Yea mines at WOT, but it starts around 4000 rpms to shift point. I'm almost led to believe,this is normal. Dcm should be able to tell us exactly what this is. It can't be rocket science!

mr wzrd
01-23-2006, 10:21 AM
Yea mines at WOT, but it starts around 4000 rpms to shift point. I'm almost led to believe,this is normal. Dcm should be able to tell us exactly what this is. It can't be rocket science!
my noise is very light,and appears at about the same time, high end of rpm i have a daytona version. i wonderd about it too.

MrScary
01-23-2006, 10:29 AM
No lifter noise at all changed to Mobile 1 syntehtic at 733 miles I now have 1400 miles on her and I drive very hard.

Scary out:

mnunes
01-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Ditto. R/T w/ R&T. 4000rpm to shift since day 1. Even after oil change at 3000 miles to Mobil1 5w20.

viperrwk
01-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Let's remember that part of the reason for lifter tick in the original Hemi was that hydraulic lifters were not used until 1970.

Also, 5-weight oil further contributes to valvetrain noise, esp at startup. I'm sure that choice was made in the name of fuel economy. Personally, I'd prefer 10w-30 synthetic when the time comes to change. Does anyone remember what weight range of oil the owner's manual says is acceptable for the 5.7 Hemi? Is the 6.1 Hemi different in its oil requirements because of the lack of MDS?

viperrwk

Rich L
01-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Let's remember that part of the reason for lifter tick in the original Hemi was that hydraulic lifters were not used until 1970.

Also, 5-weight oil further contributes to valvetrain noise, esp at startup. I'm sure that choice was made in the name of fuel economy. Personally, I'd prefer 10w-30 synthetic when the time comes to change. Does anyone remember what weight range of oil the owner's manual says is acceptable for the 5.7 Hemi? Is the 6.1 Hemi different in its oil requirements because of the lack of MDS?

viperrwk

0-20 for mds. Were still not sure its lifter noise though.

RTjunkie
02-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Actually the manual states 5w20 for the 5.7 MDS HEMI engines I believe.

Ruby
02-10-2006, 06:02 PM
mine has it too r/t

MrScary
02-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Are you sure its lifter tic and not fuel injector pulse?

What rpm does it happen at ?

Gonzo18
02-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Sure it's not your old Casio? :whistle:

Rich L
02-11-2006, 07:48 AM
Actually the manual states 5w20 for the 5.7 MDS HEMI engines I believe.

Your absolutley right. Sorry my bad !

HemiBigDog
05-02-2006, 05:46 PM
I was hearing a ticking/knocking noise under the hood when I started my car after it had set for a couple of hours. I know enough about cars to know that this didn't sound like just a lifter noise. I decided to take it into the dealership to get their opinion. Well they needed to get another opinion so they called Dodge. After they talked it was concluded that I needed to have a lifer replace. What a day!

Charger SRT8
2700 miles (that's right 2700):devil:

AppelDodgeRacing
05-02-2006, 06:24 PM
IF YOU PUT 10W-30 IN A 5.7L THEN IT WILL TURN THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON

Just a tid-bit of info

LTZROK
05-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Mine has heavy lifter tick for about 1 min at start up, as well as a good 5 second puff of Blue/White smoke. I've asked many(including the dealer) , and so far all have said it's normal, Hemi's are just like that. Never having owned a Chrysler product prior to the Charger and Ram I have, I've never had this experience before. I've also never had it with 20 other cars I've owned that had less than 1200 miles on the OD.... Strange!

TuRn "N" HeAdZ
05-02-2006, 07:23 PM
I have the same problem on my sxt 3.5L. I actually took it in last week and was told by the dealer that this was a common noise and there was nothing to be alarmed about. As far as the noise when you punch it I was told "Normal solenoid control sound in transmission".

DaveyBoy
05-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Ditto for me on my 5.7 litre. Glad it sounds normal.

joescat
05-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Mine has heavy lifter tick for about 1 min at start up, as well as a good 5 second puff of Blue/White smoke. I've asked many(including the dealer) , and so far all have said it's normal, Hemi's are just like that. Never having owned a Chrysler product prior to the Charger and Ram I have, I've never had this experience before. I've also never had it with 20 other cars I've owned that had less than 1200 miles on the OD.... Strange!

Is the blue/white smoke upon startup normal too.

I hear the ticking sound upon heavy acceleration - more so before I did mods to the exhaust and especially intake. Now, those sounds pretty much mask the "lifter noise".

I've never noticed any blue/white smoke, other than the normal moisture laden steam on colder days.

I DO get quite a bit of black "stuff" collecting in my tips, which I notice more now since they're replaced with chrome ones. A brush and Bleche White cleans it out easily - but, is THAT normal?

Crazy_luck
05-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Is the blue/white smoke upon startup normal too.

I DO get quite a bit of black "stuff" collecting in my tips, which I notice more now since they're replaced with chrome ones. A brush and Bleche White cleans it out easily - but, is THAT normal?

The black stuff building up in your tips is carbon - a byproduct of the internal combustion engine. Its normal.

As far as the blue/white smoke upon startup, the ONLY times I've ever seen this is when there is a bigger problem. My car has 13,500 miles and I have NEVER seen a puff of smoke come from it (other than the tires). If the dealer is telling you this is normal, I'd get a second opinion...

jazzy69
05-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Ticking is normal for all OHV V-8s. Especially at startup. My Hemi has it, my 01 Corvette has it, and my 90 Mustang has it. Only the oversized injectors on the Mustang made any ticking noise. And that was only audible with a mic. But I never had blue smoke except when oil was leaking into the combustion camber... Good luck to you blue smokers :dead:

GMONEY126
05-29-2006, 09:17 AM
I just tok my Charger R/T in for this noise and the dealer told me its a problem with the lifters, they will be replacing them all just to be sure.

lafrad
05-29-2006, 11:15 AM
I have a pretty loud lifter noise too... I didn't think to much of it because of the MDS and all that extra "Technology" that messes around with the drivetrain. Its all under warrenty for a while yet, so I will give it another oil change or two to calm down....

zepowerful
05-29-2006, 07:54 PM
i have the lifter noise too in my charger 3.5 and also some vibration when at cold. it is like seating in a vibrating bed

STRANNNNNNNGE. isn't it?

RTjunkie
05-29-2006, 10:01 PM
i have the lifter noise too in my charger 3.5 and also some vibration when at cold. it is like seating in a vibrating bed

STRANNNNNNNGE. isn't it?

It's normal.

paulie7210
01-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Do you guys/gals hear lifter or ticking noise when the car is at idle or punching it? It doesnt seem to get worse at any speed, its just there. Its been doing this from day one. I know I read before thats is normal for the HEMI to do so. Just wondering if we all hear the same thing. A little worried.

i drive a 2006 5.7 charger police package for work. i have driven this car 62,000km since march 2006. the lifter noise has been there for a long time. possibly from day one. this car has had 12 oil changes. it is very well maintained. not sure how to describe the noise but it sounds like a tick and it is only at idle. sometimes it sounds like the left bank and then other days its sounds like the right. this is a police car so it does not have the usual insulated hemi engine cover. this may explain at least some of the noise im hearing. i can clearly hear the fuel injectors working so this is most certainly a lifter "tic"

the dealer is investigating and have said they are leaning towards changing the lifters under warranty. i am going to check with a very well known mechanic who builds and races dodge motors and has alot of experience with hemis. i will post the outcome.

also this noise goes away the instant you accelerate and creeps back after the car has been idling for about 30 seconds.

albertadodgeboy
01-10-2007, 07:37 PM
The wife's R/T ticks, her 94 interpid ticked and so did my 96 dakota.

My Cummins really TICKS...... HA HA HA.....

mytjoemaine
09-30-2010, 07:22 PM
I have the same problem .. i have a 3.5 high out put when i brought it it was so smoth and no noise but a year later i have a clicking noise .. every where i go people are like you need oil the use to like at the car and say thats a clean charger now they say thats a loud charger i heard it couls be the hidrulic lifters .. has any one fixed this problem yet... ...

Joefro3
09-30-2010, 11:58 PM
i fixed mine 2 months ago, and now the engine is quiet and the only real sound is the fuel injectors.

DanPop
10-01-2010, 06:58 PM
I can only speak about the tick at idle, the problem is not with the engine at all...it's with the fuel. Todays fuels do not have enough lubricity and this causes the exhaust valve to tick as they slam closed (among other unheard problems). It's a little expensive but ACES IV is a fuel additive manufactured and sold by BND Automotive (a vendor on this forum), 3 ounces in each fill-up will cure the tickright from the first tank. It also raises octane levels, which means it pays for itself by allowing us to cut back to a lower octane at the pump. I will never run a tank of gas without it again. Go here http://www.bndautomotive.com/page/page/931760.htm , check it out and then call Brian, you'll be glad you did.

mytjoemaine
11-04-2010, 10:35 PM

My 2006 3.5 charger does the same but when i first got it ,,it had no noise at all. any one know who sale the lifters for cheap ?:driving:and what else should i do if i change the lifters ?:driving:

mytjoemaine
11-04-2010, 10:40 PM
i fixed mine 2 months ago, and now the engine is quiet and the only real sound is the fuel injectors.

:driving:how much are the parts ?is it hard to do yourself?where did you get them ?:driving:

370 HEMI
11-05-2010, 05:35 AM
:driving:how much are the parts ?is it hard to do yourself?where did you get them ?:driving:

The 3.5L 4 valve doesn't have traditional lifters like one would think.

I have posted a cutaway from a 1993 Dodge Intrepid brochure that shows how the 3.5L works with the cam down the center and the rocker shafts that run on the cam. The lifters are in the pivot on the top of the valve. I thought it would help you understand the concept.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com