Keyless entry system problem [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Keyless entry system problem

spoonerock
10-21-2005, 07:23 PM
This afternoon, my keyless entry system stopped working on me. Doors won't lock/unlock, trunk doesn't open, and nothing from the panic alarm. :sad:

Can't believe that the key battery is dead after 4.5 months?

Anyone have a guess as to what is going on??????

Thanks

ANTMAG06
10-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Battery is the only thing I would think of...

did you try your spare???

If that does not work than take it back to the dealer they will try a reprogram...They had to do this with mine because my car only came from the factory with one key. When they cut my other key the Keyless did not work...They asked me to bring back the car with both keys and they had to reprogram them.

DCXer
10-21-2005, 07:32 PM
That's pretty strange. Ususally those things will go years before you need to change the battery in them. Simple solution is to go back to the dealership and get it fixed. That's what warranties are for!

a14umbra
10-21-2005, 07:32 PM
This afternoon, my keyless entry system stopped working on me. Doors won't lock/unlock, trunk doesn't open, and nothing from the panic alarm. :sad:

Can't believe that the key battery is dead after 4.5 months?

Anyone have a guess as to what is going on??????

Thanks

If your spare works, and you want to try reprogramming the non-working one before you try a new battery, the directions are in your manual.

noggy_t_doggy
11-11-2005, 08:04 AM
Time to resurrect this thread. I'm getting stung with this now, started last night. And, do NOT try to open the car with the key if your fob doesn't work. The flashing lights and the blaring horn get annoying really fast and you can't stop them without a working fob.

What was the final solution ?? My fob now works approximately 50% of the time which means I'm probably not ever setting the alarm till I get this fixed.

GLHS837
11-11-2005, 08:15 AM
Noggy? Try starting the car, that might stop it. Just putting the key in wont, but starting should. Easy to test. Lock the doors with the fob and open it with your key and start the car, not just putting the key in but get the engine going.

noggy_t_doggy
11-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Noggy? Try starting the car, that might stop it. Just putting the key in wont, but starting should. Easy to test. Lock the doors with the fob and open it with your key and start the car, not just putting the key in but get the engine going.

That's what I thought to. Started the car and it sat there idling with the alarm going off.

Fortunately I was at home so I was able to get the wife's fob and deactivate the alarm.

Having said that, it's probably a problem with my fob. It's frustrating because it's intermittent which means of course it is going to work fine at the dealership.

UA_who
11-11-2005, 09:15 AM
I had a very similar problem, but only after I disconnected the car battery. I thought it was a security reset of the car computer.

I actually locked the car with the keyfob, then it wouldn't unlock. So I opened with the key, alarm goes off. Started the car (alarm still going), then the keyfob worked again and I could shut the alarm off.

Hasn't happened but that one time.

yanknrebel
11-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Hey, your problems all may be just with the fobs, the battery contacts can be loosened or even broken off if you drop your keys or toss them on a table etc..., the weight of the battery seems to be doing this. I work at a dealership and have seen quite a few like this.

noggy_t_doggy
11-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Hey, your problems all may be just with the fobs, the battery contacts can be loosened or even broken off if you drop your keys or toss them on a table etc..., the weight of the battery seems to be doing this. I work at a dealership and have seen quite a few like this.

So is this something I can fix without having to make a trip to the dealership ? If I actually open up my fob is the dealership going to make a fuss about that ?

yanknrebel
11-11-2005, 09:58 AM
If you are still under warranty, why mess with it--just have them replace it for you. I suppose you could re-solder the contact, but unless you have some eltronics skills i would not reccomend it. that key cost almost 100 dollars retail

GLHS837
11-11-2005, 11:42 AM
I do agree that they dealer should fix it. The point in some basic troubleshooting is threefold.

We at least get to learn some things that DONT work, like my suggestion.

We learn things we didnt know about how the fob works in this application

Everything we learn is one less way for the less scrupulous repair folks out there to take folks.

For some folks, just giving the keys to the dealer and walking away is cool. and thats fine. Me, I prefer to know exactly what the problem is, and the fix, beore I ever get there.

yanknrebel
11-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Information is power, and having a good idea of what the problem might be is always a good thing. I will say that just handing your service advisor a TSB is probably not the right way to go, but a suggestion of what you think the problem may be can be VERY helpful. Not all service advisors are mechanically savvy, to say the least. I would expect that they should be famillar with this particular problem though.

noggy_t_doggy
12-06-2005, 02:10 PM

Today I finally got around to getting this fixed. And yanknrebel was right, it was all fob. In fact the contact was broken off the battery just as he thought.

The dealer re-soldered it for me and replaced the battery. He did it without charging me but interestingly stated that the fob is NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY ?????

I was getting it fixed for free anyway so I didn't cry but could he be correct ?

sonic-r/t
12-12-2006, 09:08 AM
I went out to my R/T Sunday morning and hit the unlock on the fob - nothing happened. None of the buttons worked on either my primary or spare fob. Unlocking the car kicks on the alarm, but I started the engine and the alarm stops! I have had my Charger for 2 weeks, so this really shouldn't be happening.
After driving the car for a while, everything was working fine. Battery checks out. I am perplexed on this one.

Thoughts? Ideas? :confused: :awkward:

Thanks,

Sonic

spoonerock
12-12-2006, 11:52 AM
I guess I took the path of least resistance..............

Gave my key to my wife & took her's.............

She doesn't want to drive it anyway! :grin: :lol: :grin: :lol: :grin:

PRoBLeMz
12-12-2006, 02:52 PM
I guess I took the path of least resistance..............

Gave my key to my wife & took her's.............

She doesn't want to drive it anyway! :grin: :lol: :grin: :lol: :grin:

we need to get you counseling brother... and for your wife possibly, who doesnt want to drive their charger while the alarm is going off? pffft i would, charger or nothing :-p

spoonerock
12-12-2006, 03:29 PM
we need to get you counseling brother... and for your wife possibly, who doesnt want to drive their charger while the alarm is going off? pffft i would, charger or nothing :-p

Can't help it....she's a PT Cruiser "NUT"! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Buckola
12-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Mine goes on strike every two weeks or so as well . I just blame on sun spots

GeorgiaDawg
01-14-2007, 10:12 PM
that key cost almost 100 dollars retail

I ordered my spare key (only came with one) Friday, total cost was $137.00 it is a shame that stealerships charge outrageous prices like this for a freaking key and fob. Oh well I get to pick it up Monday so I will have a spare incase I lock my keys in the car.