SRT8 Tires [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: SRT8 Tires

moparfan
10-21-2005, 01:36 PM
I got the Goodyear All-Season Performance tires on my SRT8. I think I need All-Season down here with all the torrential rain.

But, I was told by a buddy that the Goodyear tires are too soft and will not wear nearly as well as the Michelins.

Anyone have any experience with these tires and opinion on which is better?

MCaesar
10-21-2005, 02:22 PM
I got the Goodyear All-Season Performance tires on my SRT8. I think I need All-Season down here with all the torrential rain.

But, I was told by a buddy that the Goodyear tires are too soft and will not wear nearly as well as the Michelins.

Anyone have any experience with these tires and opinion on which is better?

Yes, I have driven Eagle RS-As for the last 2 years and they suck. The RS-As will wear just fine. That is not their problem. He must be referring to the "summer tread" F1 Supercar tires. The problem with the RS-As is they have no grip - especially in the rain.

You don't need all season tires for rain unless temps where you live consistently go under 40 degrees. In fact, most top-rated "3 season" tires will be better in the wet than all season tires. For example, the Goodyear Eagle GS-D3 will run circles around the RS-A in the rain.

Michelin makes a couple of outstanding tires: Pilot Sport PS2 and Pilot Sport A/S but neither come in exactly our size. If you go with the all seasons you can get a slightly shorter tire 245/40-20 I believe.

My advice is drive carefully with the RS-As on.

mmaloy
10-21-2005, 03:54 PM
The tires will be the first thing to go when I get my SRT in a couple of weeks. The car won't have 50 miles on it, and they're GONE BABY!! :grin:

TriShield
10-21-2005, 04:01 PM
I would like to ditch the stock tires for Michelins as well, but there really aren't a lot of options with the size the cars use.

Jeff
10-21-2005, 04:07 PM
can't you get the F-1 supercars for an option? That is money well spent.

GLHS837
10-21-2005, 04:56 PM
F-1 supercar tires should be fine. I've run some very top end tires on the SRT-4, and about 20K was where tey went south, but all were great in the rain.

MCaesar
10-21-2005, 08:15 PM
I have mine coming with the F1s but I don't particularly care for them either. The dry grip is outstanding but they are not that good in the rain. We get a lot of rain up here - at least this time of the year. We didn't get any rain this summer though.

I will have some Pirelli Scorpions going on Dec 1. They will stay on until April. Then I will run the F1s for the summer months. Then the Pirellis one more Winter. By Spring of 07 Michelin should have jumped into the mix with some Pilot Sport PS2s or A/Ss in our size.

For a while I considered going with the Pilot Sport A/S tires all year round but I would have to go with 245/40YR20 and they do also cost $359 per tire.