Sounds like a flat, but its not? [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Sounds like a flat, but its not?

Slow4Dr
11-15-2006, 11:17 AM
I just started having a problem today with the driver side of my car. While driving it sounds as if I have a flat tire. However there is no vibration in the steering wheel and you can not feel and difference in the handling. Iíve checked the tire pressure in all the tires and they are all the same. Does anyone know what this may be and what needs to be done to correct it?

Hemiready
11-15-2006, 11:19 AM
I just started having a problem today with the driver side of my car. While driving it sounds as if I have a flat tire. However there is no vibration in the steering wheel and you can not feel and difference in the handling. Iíve checked the tire pressure in all the tires and they are all the same. Does anyone know what this may be and what needs to be done to correct it?
I'm thinking that by saying it "sounds like a flat" that you are getting some type of slapping noise - i.e like rubber smacking the pavement?

What if the plastic inner wheel well cover is loose? Check that and see if it is slapping around - perhaps even hitting one of the tires at speed.

GLHS837
11-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Good one, HR. MD, actually reach in and tug on those fender liners, inspect them for evidence of rubbing, along the lower edges. Wind loads can push them into the tires.

bandgeek99
11-15-2006, 11:53 AM
Could be a tire developed a flat spot or the steel belt in the tire when bad/out of round. I don't remember the exact wording of what happened, but something like this happened to my Dad a while ago on his truck - I mean like before I could drive so 8 or more years ago. Turns out a tire went bad and when you put it in the air and spun it you could see it was out of round.

I'd still check the inner fender well cuz thats an easy and cheap fix. The only way to fix the tire problem would be a new tire. . .

GLHS837
11-15-2006, 12:36 PM
A defect in the tire should cause a vibration in the steering wheel.

Slow4Dr
11-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys, I'll check the inner wheel well. You are correct it's making that slapping noise which is what made me think it was a flat. This problem appeared out of no where, as I drove yesterday without incident.

Aremel
11-15-2006, 01:17 PM
I had a tire years ago that did the same thing. It turned out that the tread had peeled back and under centrifugal force it was slapping the wheel well, When stopped though, it tucked up real nice and you really didn't notice it.

GLHS837
11-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Damn, another good one:) I suppose having someone pace you and inspect the tires would be a way to check that.

LosingSleep
11-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys, I'll check the inner wheel well. You are correct it's making that slapping noise which is what made me think it was a flat. This problem appeared out of no where, as I drove yesterday without incident.

Does it sound the same with the windows open and closed?

Slow4Dr
11-15-2006, 02:03 PM
It sounds pretty much the same with the windows up or down IIRC

LosingSleep
11-15-2006, 02:09 PM
It sounds pretty much the same with the windows up or down IIRC

Did the lower engine shroud come loose and start flapping in the wind?

Slow4Dr
11-15-2006, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure, I'm at work not and noticed it today on the way in. I'm going to have to take a look at it when I get off. Hopefully it's something simple like that that won't need to be fixed.

Slow4Dr
11-15-2006, 02:34 PM
I had a tire years ago that did the same thing. It turned out that the tread had peeled back and under centrifugal force it was slapping the wheel well, When stopped though, it tucked up real nice and you really didn't notice it.

I really hope you aren't right on this one! No offense to you of course

HemiChemi
11-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Did the lower engine shroud come loose and start flapping in the wind?
I think Immolation Boi has a good idea here. :grin:

For once. :smoke:

The other day The Inferno got bit by one of those damned concrete parking lot dividers; it grabbed the lower end of the front fascia and ripped the attachment points for the black plastic shroud which covers the space under the radiator. :cry:

I can imagine that shroud now flapping in the breeze under the right conditions. :(

jim383
11-15-2006, 02:46 PM
I Had Same Noise And Found Out It Was The Splash Guard Under The Car That Is Screwed To The Bottom Front Of The Air Dam That Is About 4 Ft Long .it Cam Lose From The Bottom Of The Air Dam And The Air Got Inbetween It And The Air Dam And Caused It To Start Flpping.

HemiChemi
11-15-2006, 02:49 PM
I Had Same Noise And Found Out It Was The Splash Guard Under The Car That Is Screwed To The Bottom Front Of The Air Dam That Is About 4 Ft Long .it Cam Lose From The Bottom Of The Air Dam And The Air Got Inbetween It And The Air Dam And Caused It To Start Flpping.
Yep, yep, yep. I can't wait for mine to start flapping. :bored:

Slow4Dr
11-15-2006, 03:16 PM
I just went out and checked and it looks like the plastic in the driver side rear wheel well is loose. It is hanging down a bit and looks like that's probably what's doing it. Any suggestions on a fix?

Hemiready
11-15-2006, 03:33 PM
I just went out and checked and it looks like the plastic in the driver side rear wheel well is loose. It is hanging down a bit and looks like that's probably what's doing it. Any suggestions on a fix?
Keep in mind these feel pretty loose anyway when you wiggle them (at least on my car) but take a look and see if the plastic pop rivets are missing and you have a few open holes where they were. Maybe this isn't your problem but hopefully it is. Sometimes it's tough to tell where the noise is coming from when your'e inside the car.
If that's all it is you should have an easy fix. Hell, run it past the dealer and let them do it while you wait!

LosingSleep
11-15-2006, 04:08 PM
I think Immolation Boi has a good idea here. :grin:

For once. :smoke:

The other day The Inferno got bit by one of those damned concrete parking lot dividers; it grabbed the lower end of the front fascia and ripped the attachment points for the black plastic shroud which covers the space under the radiator. :cry:

I can imagine that shroud now flapping in the breeze under the right conditions. :(

I'm sure it was the concrete dividers fault. :smoke:

HemiChemi
11-15-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm sure it was the concrete dividers fault. :smoke:
:yes: