: my charger daytona vs. impala ss

wlangenbach
10-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Was out running to the store today when out of nowhere a black impala ss got on my ass and passed me. I caught up to him at the next light but was behind him. As the light changed he hit it and then I did and pulled in the lane next to him. in this short run I was gaining on him but not much. As we slowed I passed and turned well he followed. At the next light we got lined up and it was a go. He took me off the line right away and i gained but again not much , until we hit about 65 or 70 then i started to take over quickly. even though I passed him I feel like it wasnt a very good kill. I thought my daytona would beat a impala ss I have air intake, chip, and flowmaster 40s with zoomer tips. Is the daytona not that fast or is the impala ss a adequate challenger. I am sure if we ran a quarter mile I would win easily as I started pulling away at 80 but up to 60 or so I was behind because of his quick start. I wasnt prepared and didnt get to turn off the esp does that make a difference. Any thoughts? I also have 20s on the car and are probably heavier than stock does that make a difference

RR/TT
10-03-2006, 02:07 PM
could have been modified. possible modified v-8?

for every racer x there is a speedracer, which one was you?

Chargeit!
10-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Was out running to the store today when out of nowhere a black impala ss got on my ass and passed me. I caught up to him at the next light but was behind him. As the light changed he hit it and then I did and pulled in the lane next to him. in this short run I was gaining on him but not much. As we slowed I passed and turned well he followed. At the next light we got lined up and it was a go. He took me off the line right away and i gained but again not much , until we hit about 65 or 70 then i started to take over quickly. even though I passed him I feel like it wasnt a very good kill. I thought my daytona would beat a impala ss I have air intake, chip, and flowmaster 40s with zoomer tips. Is the daytona not that fast or is the impala ss a adequate challenger. I am sure if we ran a quarter mile I would win easily as I started pulling away at 80 but up to 60 or so I was behind because of his quick start. I wasnt prepared and didnt get to turn off the esp does that make a difference. Any thoughts? I also have 20s on the car and are probably heavier than stock does that make a difference

I'm gonna say he probably wasnt stock... but they were definately worthy opponents... you should win.. but they have a TON of aftermarket stuff for them...

PS edit: Was this a new SS? Cause they are darn fast as well...

wlangenbach
10-03-2006, 02:10 PM
it was a newer impala ss and it looked stock. does anybody have times for new impala ss

BLKCHARGER
10-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Sounds like he had better gearing to get that power to the street. But it also sounds like he had a few power adders cause the daytona has about 100hp over the donkeys stock for stock...

EDIT** Nevermind... I thought it was the 94-96 model... Those newer impalas have what about 305 hp? I think they are about 400lbs lighter than your Daytona.

Stevessti
Are we talking a new Impala SS with the 303hp 5.3L, or the last gen Caprice based Impala SS?

MagChargerRT
it was a newer impala ss and it looked stock. does anybody have times for new impala ss

That car is front wheel drive and has 303 hp...5.3l v8 i believe.

Stevessti
10-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Here ya go, every bit as quick as a stock Daytona, unfortunately...
http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/11028/road-test-review-2006-chevrolet-impala-ss.html

SRT8a911
10-03-2006, 02:16 PM
My neighbor just sold his stock SS. It's probably a little quicker from go, but I'd agree that you will always gain and overtake, all mods being roughly equal. Besides you've got the cool factor working for you.

Chargeit!
10-03-2006, 02:19 PM

good.. good times... theres alot of torque steer (FWD) but if he knew what he was doing... and took off right... he could hang... 303hp... a little less weight... they're nice vehicles...

christianjax
10-03-2006, 02:26 PM
From what I've read, they are quicker to 60, but a little slower in the 1/4. So for street racing (light to light) he should win.
YES ESP off makes a difference. Also use autostick. drop that puppy down to 1st and let it shift for you. You will notice a difference. Also if you can stage it, try to launch it at 1500 to 2000rpms.

Ruff n Tuff RT
10-03-2006, 02:37 PM
yup thats the #1 car on my have to race list
i almost had a chance once we were at a park
with a big lot.both of the cars were new,
when i first started rolling towards him
he just took of like if he knew i wanted to race
when he hit the gas he picked up pretty quick,
But im gonna look for one, i will get him

Ruff n Tuff RT
10-03-2006, 02:41 PM
our cars have a good match with a lot of cars as
long as u race for a good distance
alot of cars i raced take of before me but once
i hit that third gear im gone

Ruff n Tuff RT
10-03-2006, 02:43 PM
How does ESP make a differrence??

Stevessti
10-03-2006, 02:54 PM
From what I've read, they are quicker to 60, but a little slower in the 1/4. So for street racing (light to light) he should win.
YES ESP off makes a difference. Also use autostick. drop that puppy down to 1st and let it shift for you. You will notice a difference. Also if you can stage it, try to launch it at 1500 to 2000rpms.

Curious, are you saying to use auto stick to put it in to first, but then let the computer make the upshifts anyways? How is than different then full auto?

rsoto80
10-03-2006, 03:10 PM
wow those cars are quick!...i would of never known...i didn't even know you can make a front-wheel drive V8...i'll have to keep my guard up when i run into those on the street.

70 AAR Cuda
10-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Who cares if they can keep up! They are ugly as sin ;)

wlangenbach
10-03-2006, 04:54 PM
They are an ugly car but they gave me a good race with a quick start it beat me to 60 but I pulled after that. Couldnt go past 90 because of other cars. came up to stop light again and he didnt go , maybe knew he would be beat in a distance run.

BlakdOutCharger
10-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Curious, are you saying to use auto stick to put it in to first, but then let the computer make the upshifts anyways? How is than different then full auto?

Because in auto-stick mode the transmission shifts based on speed, not RPM.

AZCHARGER
10-03-2006, 05:05 PM
http://www.lxvideos.com/videos/Automotive/2006_Charger_Daytona_vs_modded_1995_Chevy_Impala_S S?PHPSESSID=9a651cbe79b67177f6c5740a5a470698

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

p_Town_10
10-03-2006, 05:31 PM
yeah the FWD is what took you off the line.

Dan
10-03-2006, 05:37 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/11028/road-test-review-2006-chevrolet-impala-ss.html

Did you guys read that review? It doesn't sound like a very good car overall. The review ragged on it a lot.

Here's a counterpoint at the end of the review.

"JOHN PHILLIPS
Last fall, I drove the Impala SS and the Pontiac GXP back-to-back. The latter evinced greater discipline over its front wheels, by virtue of bigger contact patches and Bilstein shocks. But I preferred the Chevy’s ride, gentler sticker, and stealth. Only the SS badges give away the Chevy, whereas the Pontiac is all vents and swollen fenders and overwrought interior shapes that scream, “Look at me!” Any 303-hp sedan selling for as little as $26,990 is hugely attractive, and this one is solid, forgiving, and capable. But that V-8 oughta be twistin’ the rear wheels, which leaves me muttering two words: “Dodge Charger.”"

Dan
10-03-2006, 05:51 PM
yeah the FWD is what took you off the line.

Really? I thought RWD helped cause the car naturally shifts the weight to the rear tires and lifts the front end at takeoff. This would seem to give better traction to the RWD cars and a harder start in terms of traction with the FWD. What am I missing?

kawi14ninjaman
10-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Really? I thought RWD helped cause the car naturally shifts the weight to the rear tires and lifts the front end at takeoff. This would seem to give better traction to the RWD cars and a harder start in terms of traction with the FWD. What am I missing?

Exactly. You aren't missing a thing.

JRB73IN
10-03-2006, 06:44 PM
I have noticed that if I put my R/T in first and let it shift for me, it will always shift at 5500. Regardless of your speed. If you leave it in auto, your shift points are down around 3000. If you don't turn off esp, it will limit your take off to avoid to much will spin. with ESP on you get a litte tread mark, with it off you get a big one, resulting from more power at the rear wheels.

kawi14ninjaman
10-03-2006, 06:51 PM
I have noticed that if I put my R/T in first and let it shift for me, it will always shift at 5500. Regardless of your speed. If you leave it in auto, your shift points are down around 3000. If you don't turn off esp, it will limit your take off to avoid to much will spin. with ESP on you get a litte tread mark, with it off you get a big one, resulting from more power at the rear wheels.

? I hope you mean 3000 at partial throttle and 5500 at full throttle. Otherwise your car has problems.

Stevessti
10-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Did you guys read that review? It doesn't sound like a very good car overall. The review ragged on it a lot.

Here's a counterpoint at the end of the review.

"JOHN PHILLIPS
Last fall, I drove the Impala SS and the Pontiac GXP back-to-back. The latter evinced greater discipline over its front wheels, by virtue of bigger contact patches and Bilstein shocks. But I preferred the Chevy’s ride, gentler sticker, and stealth. Only the SS badges give away the Chevy, whereas the Pontiac is all vents and swollen fenders and overwrought interior shapes that scream, “Look at me!” Any 303-hp sedan selling for as little as $26,990 is hugely attractive, and this one is solid, forgiving, and capable. But that V-8 oughta be twistin’ the rear wheels, which leaves me muttering two words: “Dodge Charger.”"

Yeah, they basically said it sucked. I was just adressing the fact that its just as fast as a Daytona.

Crazy_luck
10-03-2006, 07:06 PM
? I hope you mean 3000 at partial throttle and 5500 at full throttle. Otherwise your car has problems.

In autostick mode, it will not shift until 5500, no matter how hard you are pressing the throttle...

chuckagr
10-03-2006, 07:39 PM
my wife drives an 06' impala ss, they are quick. I did not think they are faster than the daytona. We pulled up to a light side by side and she gave it a rev but at the time i had our daughter in my car.....good thing she might of won....i would of never heard the end of that one.

Dan
10-03-2006, 07:49 PM
In autostick mode, it will not shift until 5500, no matter how hard you are pressing the throttle...

Yeah but I think the point is that when racing you're going to be pushing the throttle down all the way anyway so there would be no point in putting it in autostick mode.

Crazy_luck
10-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Yeah but I think the point is that when racing you're going to be pushing the throttle down all the way anyway so there would be no point in putting it in autostick mode.

Autostick mode has a little less interference from torque management, which will allow a better, quicker shift (less hesitation between gears).

jtw715
10-03-2006, 07:56 PM
I test drove the SS before I decided on the Charger (just to appease the wife). WAY too much torque steer as it's a front driver. I mean, it was pronounced. The fit and finish was top notch, and the car was actually pretty quick, but that steering wheel jerking outta your hand is very unsettling. Even the Chevy sales guy that was w/me on the test drive said he had lost about 40% of his sales because the car was not rear drive. Wait until Holden starts bringing their rear drive platforms to the USA. Those will be tough to beat.

RR/TT
10-03-2006, 09:20 PM
after my last track experience autostick does not mean faster...

kawi14ninjaman
10-03-2006, 09:34 PM

yes....but he said 3000 in full auto

Apache Kid
10-03-2006, 09:40 PM
RR/TT what did you mean by, "Your last track experience...." What happened? I am uncertain about the whole "auto-stick" start, to me it "feels" like a stronger, faster launch, but I'm not sure. Also, the SS is definitely quicker off the line but around 70Mph the Hemi just hauls right past that car. Still, they're formidable.

christianjax
10-04-2006, 04:39 AM
Well since most street races I've been in were over before 70mph, I'm gonna say that unless you can get a nice hole-shot on a whimpala SS, don't bother. And make sure you are to the SS's left so that torque steer doesn't jerk him into you.

ARTEE
10-04-2006, 06:08 AM
...And make sure you are to the SS's left so that torque steer doesn't jerk him into you.

:lol: LOL... if you can manage to launch without spinning or, with minimal spin wouldn't it be better to keep the ESP off? if you do spin... at all... the BRAKES come on which, as we all know, is not consistent with making speed!

REB
10-04-2006, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I'm having issues with the ESP/autostick. I like to drive sideways as much as possible, that means around curves, pulling out of side streets onto mains, etc. I like to kick it and drift through the curve. Even with ESP off tho, and having it in 1st gear, when the rear end lights up and the revs climb, the danged thing changes to second before I want it to do so! It KILLS the drift, the smoke, and hooks up the rear end with a signifigant jerk and pulls the car straight again! I'm liking the autostick mode for around town driving, but I want FULL control over shift points, why couldn't they have just given us a rev limiter and let US choose the gear?

REB

Dan
10-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I'm having issues with the ESP/autostick. I like to drive sideways as much as possible, that means around curves, pulling out of side streets onto mains, etc. I like to kick it and drift through the curve. Even with ESP off tho, and having it in 1st gear, when the rear end lights up and the revs climb, the danged thing changes to second before I want it to do so! It KILLS the drift, the smoke, and hooks up the rear end with a signifigant jerk and pulls the car straight again! I'm liking the autostick mode for around town driving, but I want FULL control over shift points, why couldn't they have just given us a rev limiter and let US choose the gear?

REB

Will Superchips allow that?

MCaesar
10-04-2006, 10:46 AM

I owned a 95 Imp SS and drove it for 230,000 miles. I can say for a fact it is stronger off the line. The LT1 has so much torque off idle the car can leap from a light. Plus there is no traction control to cut power.

Over 4,000 RPM it is no contest.

MCaesar
10-04-2006, 10:47 AM

Oh, just saw this post.

Yes, the 2006 is faster than the 94-96 and it is within a tenth or two of the 5.7

christianjax
10-04-2006, 11:25 AM
MCaesar, I see by your sig, that you're SRT8 is "fster than LS1 F Body" ????
What are we talking here? 0-60? 1/4? Top speed? Just curious, I have a very slightly modified LS1 FBody (and a Daytona) and I would love to line it up with a SRT8 for Sh!ts and giggles. My Trans Am is quite a bit quicker than my Daytona. The wife and I lined them up this past weekend, and I was walking away from her at a very quick pace. I was just curious how much better a race a SRT would be. Don't see to many around in my neck of the woods, so haven't had the chance to take one on.

MCaesar
10-04-2006, 07:59 PM
MCaesar, I see by your sig, that you're SRT8 is "fster than LS1 F Body" ????
What are we talking here? 0-60? 1/4? Top speed? Just curious, I have a very slightly modified LS1 FBody (and a Daytona) and I would love to line it up with a SRT8 for Sh!ts and giggles. My Trans Am is quite a bit quicker than my Daytona. The wife and I lined them up this past weekend, and I was walking away from her at a very quick pace. I was just curious how much better a race a SRT would be. Don't see to many around in my neck of the woods, so haven't had the chance to take one on.

So far I have run 3

Two from about 70mph to 130

One from 85 to 145

JamesG
10-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Well, lets run the numbers from the same source, Car and Driver.. and it looks like a dead heat between the Charger R/T and the Impala SS...

The Impala just doesn't have the drool factor of a Charger.... and FWD? That is no muscle car.

Car and Driver for the Charger R/T
ACCELERATION: Seconds
Zero to 30 mph: 2.2
40 mph: 3.1
50 mph: 4.3
60 mph: 5.6
70 mph: 7.1
80 mph: 9.2
90 mph: 11.4
100 mph: 13.9
110 mph: 16.7
120 mph: 20.8
130 mph: 26.0
140 mph: 32.6
Street start, 5-60 mph: 5.8
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 2.8
50-70 mph: 3.5
Standing 1/4-mile: 14.2 sec @ 101 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 145 mph

Car and Driver for the Impala SS
ACCELERATION: Seconds
Zero to 30 mph: 2.2
40 mph: 3.1
50 mph: 4.2
60 mph: 5.6
70 mph: 7.3
80 mph: 9.2
90 mph: 11.3
100 mph: 13.9
110 mph: 17.7
120 mph: 22.4
130 mph: 28.5
Street start, 5–60 mph: 5.8
Top-gear acceleration, 30–50 mph: 2.6
50–70 mph: 3.7
Standing ¼-mile: 14.2 sec @ 101 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 154 mph

christianjax
10-05-2006, 04:48 AM
So far I have run 3

Two from about 70mph to 130

One from 85 to 145

hmmm, Yeah, I get the feeling the Hemi will prevail on the top end. Probably the same with my Daytona. But heads up from a stop, and I think an SRT8 would have his hands full.

MCaesar
10-05-2006, 04:59 AM
hmmm, Yeah, I get the feeling the Hemi will prevail on the top end. Probably the same with my Daytona. But heads up from a stop, and I think an SRT8 would have his hands full.

As soon as I get the chance I will tell you.

A lot depends on the skill of the F body driver. They are a little harder to launch without smoking them.

Similarly, a couple of months ago I was able to beat a 03 Cobra (supercharged) because when the green light came he liquified his rear tires while I took off. It took him to about 110 to close to my rear bumper.

MCaesar
10-05-2006, 05:01 AM
Yeah, the new Imp SS and GP GXP are about the same power as the 5.7. They are marginally quicker off the line but slightly slower over 100. You will get better gas mileage also.

But they are still driven by the wrong wheels!

superdart
10-05-2006, 08:25 AM
My friend has 06 SS. 5.3L 303hp 323ft/lbs. I put about 200 miles on his during a road trip. It is "quick" and it will roast the front tires with the trac control off, but the torque steer is insane. If you bust em loose you had better hold on because that front end will walk all over two lanes of blacktop.

Also, the car isn't really designed with the aggressive stance in mind. The car overall is very "ho-hum". The interior feels like it's out of a Buick, the seats are very comfortable, but they will not hold you in place for crap in the turns.

Also, they are rated at 27mpg with DOD (GMs MDS), but it hardly kicks in if you are doing over 65mph, even on a level grade (yes, you can tell, GM has a 4/8 cyl indicator on the dash). The 5.3 just doesn't have the torque to operate in 4cyl mode at 70mph. At 70 you will only get about 20-21mpg...really disappointing.

After having some serious drive time in both, there is no contest. They may be evenly matched by the numbers, but the Charger is better in every way as far as I am concerned.

christianjax
10-05-2006, 09:35 AM
My friend has 06 SS. 5.3L 303hp 323ft/lbs. I put about 200 miles on his during a road trip. It is "quick" and it will roast the front tires with the trac control off, but the torque steer is insane. If you bust em loose you had better hold on because that front end will walk all over two lanes of blacktop.

Also, the car isn't really designed with the aggressive stance in mind. The car overall is very "ho-hum". The interior feels like it's out of a Buick, the seats are very comfortable, but they will not hold you in place for crap in the turns.

Also, they are rated at 27mpg with DOD (GMs MDS), but it hardly kicks in if you are doing over 65mph, even on a level grade (yes, you can tell, GM has a 4/8 cyl indicator on the dash). The 5.3 just doesn't have the torque to operate in 4cyl mode at 70mph. At 70 you will only get about 20-21mpg...really disappointing.

After having some serious drive time in both, there is no contest. They may be evenly matched by the numbers, but the Charger is better in every way as far as I am concerned.

That's crazy. I have no idea how I get 25mpg going 80mph in my Trans Am. God only knows what I would get doing the speed limit. How can a 350ish hp LS1 get such good milage and the new 5.3 can't? Doesn't make any sense. And my LS1 doesn't have DOD.

christianjax
10-05-2006, 09:36 AM
As soon as I get the chance I will tell you.

A lot depends on the skill of the F body driver. They are a little harder to launch without smoking them.

Similarly, a couple of months ago I was able to beat a 03 Cobra (supercharged) because when the green light came he liquified his rear tires while I took off. It took him to about 110 to close to my rear bumper.
I have the automatic and 2:93 gears so I don't have much trouble launching. It will torch them only if I want it to.

HEMI 101
10-08-2006, 12:46 AM
It doesn't matter the new Impala suck.

MotorCity Muscle
10-08-2006, 12:50 AM
They would have a hard time beating the R/Ts, and against my SRT - fugettaboutit!

MCaesar
10-08-2006, 10:52 AM
I have the automatic and 2:93 gears so I don't have much trouble launching. It will torch them only if I want it to.

This guys was not world's greatest driver. We pulled up to another light down the road and he wouldn't even race from a standstill. He waited until we go to about 70 and then he took off.

I love those Mustangs but not just anyone can get top times out of them.

CooKie MonsteR
10-08-2006, 12:52 PM

unfortunately I've learned that magazines and websites are the WORSE source for information...according to most of those magazines we run a lot slower than we actually do...and every SRT on this forum running 13.1 is a liar...

I've raced a few Imapala SS and I've known for a fact they were stock..good friends of mine..and I've taken all of them..pretty convincingly too. And as of right now I'm stock.

wlangenbach
10-08-2006, 12:59 PM
cookie monster what are you running an RT or an SRT makes a big difference against a ss an SRT would smoke it but a RT would be a drivers race , car to car it is a pretty even match out of the box

CooKie MonsteR
10-11-2006, 10:53 AM
R/T...

A lot of members on this forum base the race off of magazine and internet numbers. Maybe I'm lucky lol, but I've seem to beat some of the cars that we've been compared equal to.

sayox2
10-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Because in auto-stick mode the transmission shifts based on speed, not RPM.

Autostick is manually shifting the otherwise automatic transmission. It is either manual shift (autostick) or automatic. I think terms are being confused maybe here.