What is the Max HP rating for the RT 5.7L block? [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: What is the Max HP rating for the RT 5.7L block?

dagummit
09-14-2005, 12:32 AM
The only reason I am asking is that:

1 - I am drinking right now and seriously contemplating that Novi 1200 supercharger...I make my best financial decisions after a lot of drinking; which in my case right now, about 10 vodka 'n diet cokes (gotta watch the weight).

2 - I want to hit 12 seconds on the 1/4 mile run...

3 - I have the bone$...that aint the problem...I don't want to replace everything after 15k miles however...

4 - My wife wouldn't know the diff. if I got the s/c...we have seperate checking accts, she doesn't drive it anyway...I just bought her a new Durango for some hush time for me to play with my OCD over this Charger...

5 - Back to my point...how many HP could this RT 5.7 L engine withstand under weekend busting ass condidtions? I heard 450 hp (flywheel) without strenghing the internals with forged material.

6 - Also what about the gearing on the rear-end...

By the way, I ordered my MagnaFlow catbacks today...it'll take a week to come in though...I want to order a CAI next...I am heavily leaning toward the K&N 63 series...the real winner was when I read that it is not street legal in CA...Screw CA and their strict ass EPA regs....HEMI's should have an exception to the damn rules!

Read and weep! (My actual tag)

ANTMAG06
09-14-2005, 01:20 AM
Not positive but I have read some are saying that the 5.7 should be able to produce up to 500 HP but that is with some major engine work and I am sure a S/C or Turbo. There are a lot of articles on this engine but most are for crate engines not the 5.7 developed for the LX platforms.

radguy
09-14-2005, 05:40 AM
The 500 hp range should be no problem with a tune. The key word being tune, some thing that is not out there yet for the dodges.

HIGH_HEMI
09-14-2005, 12:26 PM
I could have swore I read a thread in here about the hp capabilities. Someone posted a reference to a HotRod Magazine article on the 5.7 HEMI. I believe it said it was good for 500 or 600 horses. Of course, that was adding cam, headers, and some other mods to reach that potential. But the writeup was saying the 5.7 HEMI block was capable of maintaining that power without having to upgrade the block. Now remember that I am just trying to remember what an article said that I read. I'll have to do a little search for the thread. I'll post when I find it.

Ron Mexico
09-14-2005, 01:17 PM
I could have swore I read a thread in here about the hp capabilities. Someone posted a reference to a HotRod Magazine article on the 5.7 HEMI. I believe it said it was good for 500 or 600 horses. Of course, that was adding cam, headers, and some other mods to reach that potential. But the writeup was saying the 5.7 HEMI block was capable of maintaining that power without having to upgrade the block. Now remember that I am just trying to remember what an article said that I read. I'll have to do a little search for the thread. I'll post when I find it.

Was this it??
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/te...hemi/index.html
posted by RDBRT

HIGH_HEMI
09-14-2005, 02:14 PM
That's it. Look at 'Tech articles' and check page 3.....entitled 'Hello Hemi'. It says, at the bottom of the article, that the 5.7 should be able to get to 600 horsepower with relative ease. Really a great article about our motors. Thanks for the article lookup there Ron Mexico. And hope that helps ya a bit after reading the article, dagummit.

RDBRT
09-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Here's the direct link;

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0403phr_hemi/index.html

dagummit
09-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Cool thanks for looking up the article for me and others here that may have been curious...also according to the article, DC is underrating the HP at the flywheel...they state 365hp. I heard Ford screwed up their HP dynos a few years back and they underrated it now on purpose...I wonder if DC is doing the same.

But damn, they see 600hp not being a problem..imagine that...a 600hp Dodge Charger RT...hanging with a stock viper! One would have to totally drop about $15k into the engine for that to happen though. And of course, this is without NOS or anything like that...

jdustu
09-20-2005, 01:12 PM
there is a truck guy with stock internals that with a 175 shot hit 500hp/600 lbs of torque......125 shot got him a 12.43, here's a vid of him going 12.49
http://home.comcast.net/~suzukirules/Hemi777_12.49.wmv

truck with driver is over 5k lbs

GoDaddy
09-20-2005, 01:28 PM
that is awesome....i am too scared to go the nos route though....just going to have to build it up slowly.

1BADHEMI
09-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Man That's Bad Azz... Never Seen A Stock Looking Ram Burn 12.49 1/4 Eta Especially With That Tool Box In The Back... The Real Shocker Was For The Guy In The Right Lane....cya....lol