Anyone else having problems with Jet Performance Module [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Anyone else having problems with Jet Performance Module

Awesome
09-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Okay I am new to this forum.. Just purchased a Black Charger R/T, added the Mopar cold air intake and the Mopar (Borla) hi-performance exhaust. Did a few cosmetic add ons such as the Daytona R/T Mopar OEM Spoiler and the Daytona R/T emblem on my grill, and Shogun Z1 chrome wheels. Here's the problem, I purchased a stage I Jet performance chip and I don't feel any difference. (neither low end or top end) I do however see my MPG go from 17 in the city to around 9 MGP. There are no problems with the chip, it is seated correctly. I just wanted to see if anyone else out there has wasted $300 bucks like me or am I expecting too much??

RPMSRT8
09-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Okay I am new to this forum.. Just purchased a Black Charger R/T, added the Mopar cold air intake and the Mopar (Borla) hi-performance exhaust. Did a few cosmetic add ons such as the Daytona R/T Mopar OEM Spoiler and the Daytona R/T emblem on my grill, and Shogun Z1 chrome wheels. Here's the problem, I purchased a stage I Jet performance chip and I don't feel any difference. (neither low end or top end) I do however see my MPG go from 17 in the city to around 9 MGP. There are no problems with the chip, it is seated correctly. I just wanted to see if anyone else out there has wasted $300 bucks like me or am I expecting too much??

I don't know about the chip department but I do know they're crooks, (been there $$ :sick: ) so I don't see why it should be any different with chips.
Let's all wait till the dust settles and let the cream come to the top, concerning performance chips. Haste makes waste especially when it comes to dealing with JET.

GoDaddy
09-10-2005, 12:12 PM

this may sound stupid, but have you unplugged the negative terminal to the battery. if not try this....let it sit for about 15 minutes and then put the negative terminal back on (which is in the trunk by the way...sorry if i am treating like a child or pointing out overly obvious stuff) anyway, after plugging back in you will need to reset the BAS light which will be on...for that all you have to do is turn steering hard left and hard right and then center....this resets some of the computer stuff with esp and steering yaw control....give this a try and drive around and see if their is a difference.

i have not done this mod (YET) but i have heard too many say their in a performance increase and you can "feel" it. let me now if it works for you. otherwise i have nothing :embarrese

coolvanilla
09-10-2005, 12:22 PM
I had a Durango with a Hemi and anyone that did purchase a JET chip as there was not anything available from Superchips or Hypertech was extremely disappointed. I think most of them ended up throwing the thing away or selling it on ebay to other unsuspecting consumers.

Awesome
09-10-2005, 12:29 PM
I don't know about the chip department but I do know they're crooks, (been there $$ :sick: ) so I don't see why it should be any different with chips.
Let's all wait till the dust settles and let the cream come to the top, concerning performance chips. Haste makes waste especially when it comes to dealing with JET.

Actually the Speed Shop that put it in warned me that the Jet product wasn't worth it, but I was to headstrong to listen.... I guess it comes out next week :sad: Of course Jet doesn't take them back......

ANTMAG06
09-10-2005, 12:34 PM
added the Mopar cold air intake and the Mopar (Borla) hi-performance exhaust. Here's the problem, I purchased a stage I Jet performance chip and I don't feel any difference.

I am not real sure but I think if you do a little research JET has said that if you are using CAI and Cat-Back exhaust you should use the stage II for max performance. I would never put a chip in my car. All they do is fool sensors into allowing the engine to do things it was not ment to do all the time, I think this would decrease engine life. A programmer on the other hand you can always switch back to factory setting without having to rip into your computer.

There is no programmer available yet as far as my research has taken me.

Awesome
09-10-2005, 12:37 PM
this may sound stupid, but have you unplugged the negative terminal to the battery. if not try this....let it sit for about 15 minutes and then put the negative terminal back on (which is in the trunk by the way...sorry if i am treating like a child or pointing out overly obvious stuff) anyway, after plugging back in you will need to reset the BAS light which will be on...for that all you have to do is turn steering hard left and hard right and then center....this resets some of the computer stuff with esp and steering yaw control....give this a try and drive around and see if their is a difference.

i have not done this mod (YET) but i have heard too many say their in a performance increase and you can "feel" it. let me now if it works for you. otherwise i have nothing :embarrese

Yeah, the negative ground was unplugged for about 20 minutes during the install. The BAS/ESP lights came on after the install untill I drove about 4 miles. Then then reset and I haven't had any problems. I have had many muscle cars in my lifetime including a 69 Hemi Roadrunner, Z28 Camaro etc etc.... This Charger is really sweet!!!!! It screams for today's technology.. I am just trying to nudge the 5.7 up a little closer to the 400 hp mark without doing anything radical. Being 53, my wife asked me why did you buy that?, My answer "Male Menopause"..... :happy: Any suggestions on the nudge outside of what I already changed would be greatly appreciated... I haven't been back in the Mopar world for quite some time... Thanks

dagummit
09-12-2005, 11:12 AM
I am not real sure but I think if you do a little research JET has said that if you are using CAI and Cat-Back exhaust you should use the stage II for max performance.

Yes, stage I is for stock exhausts and really no mods at all. Since you put in the CAI and the upgrade exhaust, you should be using at least stage II.

But that must really suck dropping from 17 mpg to 9 mpg! Or did you mean to say 19 mpg?

Ron Mexico
09-12-2005, 01:06 PM
I could be wrong but I have heard that if you get a chip, the computer will adjust to the new "tricks" of the chip and compensate for it, making a chip worthless and the car will return to "normal" after it figures it out. Has anyone else heard something of this?

Awesome
09-12-2005, 06:24 PM
I could be wrong but I have heard that if you get a chip, the computer will adjust to the new "tricks" of the chip and compensate for it, making a chip worthless and the car will return to "normal" after it figures it out. Has anyone else heard something of this?

Nope, I did say 9 ....... I didn't want too rich a mixture coming in with just the two mods...... If I had headers, cam etc... I would have gone stage II. I guess I'll give it a couple of days before I decide to pull it out. The car really boggs down when you put your foot into it around 1000 rpm. It had better low rpm response with the stock setting....

Awesome
09-12-2005, 06:27 PM
I am not real sure but I think if you do a little research JET has said that if you are using CAI and Cat-Back exhaust you should use the stage II for max performance. I would never put a chip in my car. All they do is fool sensors into allowing the engine to do things it was not ment to do all the time, I think this would decrease engine life. A programmer on the other hand you can always switch back to factory setting without having to rip into your computer.

There is no programmer available yet as far as my research has taken me.

I can't wait for a programmer to come out for the 5.7 Hemi ..... This would solve all of my problems....

HIGH_HEMI
09-12-2005, 06:36 PM
I had a JET chip setup in my 99 Tahoe. Performance 'felt' better but mileage did decrease somewhat...only a couple miles per gallon. I have, however, used HyperTech in another Tahoe and my 1995 Bronco. Both got major noticable performance increases as well as going up to 18 city and 22 highway. I like chips myself....provided they do supply improvements...usually leaner mixtures, better performance. Hopefully your JET will get better ... does the 'learning curve' have anything to do with it or is that just tranny? Good Luck, drive reckless and keep your powder dry!