How do I check Transmission fluid [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: How do I check Transmission fluid

mejia11
06-22-2006, 06:47 PM
We have no dipstick why? and how do I check the fluid level w/o dropping the entire pan?

BetoMXL
06-22-2006, 06:49 PM
what for?? everything is sensed by the computer... i bet if you have low level fluid computer will tell you... relax..

mejia11
06-22-2006, 07:08 PM
I am suicidal here I dont know what to do is there a no dipstick Dips anonymous class I can go to? Computers so easy to manipulate scary if you really think about it, trust the comp jaja, thanks for reply:nervous s

HemiChemi
06-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Make friends wiv arfur! He's a dipstick... :grin:

This is a dealer-only maintenance item... Dunno why, except the supposition that the fill-level is critical to proper operation...

arfur
06-23-2006, 06:08 AM
Make friends wiv arfur! He's a dipstick... :grin:

This is a dealer-only maintenance item... Dunno why, except the supposition that the fill-level is critical to proper operation...

Oi - back off fruitcake!

Yep - it is a dealer only issue. :)

HemiChemi
06-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Dunno what this is, but check it out:

http://www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com/troillechto.html

NeedHP
06-27-2006, 09:27 AM
The stick is missing because it is something that normally only the dealer shops can do. You can't go just by the level on the stick. You have to know the temperature of the trans fluid. There is a chart in the LX maintenance/repair book (the one the shop guys use, not the book in the glove box) that lists what the level should be on the stick at specific temperatures. Without the StarScan or some other instrument we have no way of knowing the trans fluid temperature.

With these trans the fluid level is really intolerant. I'm not sure if the EVIC will warn you unless you are drastically low. I had the problem where the seal was leaking for a while and it started effecting how it shifted. Once the dealer fixed it everything was fine again, but I never got anything on the EVIC or dash lights.

johns2dev
04-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Is there any way to change the transmission fluid in the dodge charger. and if so how.

twistedbigdaddy
04-04-2010, 06:40 PM
there is a trans dip stick you can buy its for a mercedes its about 5 feet long and looks like a curb feeler.the same people sell it that sell that rocker arm tool its like thirty bucks and the little plastic knob on the tube just twists off, i know i just put in a edge torque converter. and checked my fluid it just has to be hot and read %70 on the stick

Metro12
04-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Do you leave the stick in, like a normal trans fluid dip stick? Just a bit concerned, since it is like 5 ft long!

abrown915
04-09-2010, 02:42 PM
The Service Manager at the local Dodge dealer explained that because our cars have everything electronically controlled (unlike old models that were hydraulic) that the chance for a problem is slim. According to him, and the owners manual, the only reason to worry is if you notice an issue, such as leakage or transmission issues. He said other than that, 60k tune up change it.

Metro12
04-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Ok, I got the mercedes dip stick, put it in, and it won't go in all the way. Showed tranny fluid on the stick though, with it about 2/3 down. I ordered the MB 722.6 dip stick. Have the 5.7l.....any ideas?

bluecar1968
04-10-2010, 05:54 PM
The proper miller tool simply measures the depth of the fluid from the bottom of the pan . Chrysler has a chart for fluid level to temp chart. Its actually pretty amazing how much the height changes biased on temp. The reason they are dealer only is they are very sensitive! That is why they use a special tool if trans is cold vs hot is about an inch on the stick and it is easy to add the wrong amount!

Metro12
04-10-2010, 08:49 PM
So, the post listing the Mercedes transmission dip stick number, like I ordered, is wrong?

Nilsson
06-15-2010, 01:13 AM
So, the post listing the Mercedes transmission dip stick number, like I ordered, is wrong?

Some more info about this?
Regards Anders

rodneyiii
06-18-2010, 02:02 PM
You probably have the right dipstick. My tech friend showed me how they check the fluid level with it and I tried it to get the feel of how it works. It's a flexible cable that slides into the dipstick tube. You have to be careful and stop inserting it when it hits the bottom (that's what SHE said) of the pan. It is easy to tell when it's bottomed out. The overall cable length isn't meant to go into the tube like a typical dipstick. Once it stops on the bottom, pull it back out and read the level. It has temperature marks on it to correlate the fluid level and temp together.

ortizmro
06-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Here are links I have for this procedure, although I think I would just have the dealer check this while car is in for other work:

Miller's tool:

http://estore.websitepros.com/802805/Detail.bok?no=1322

Thread with instructions for checking Transmission fluid (from service manual):

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38893