I Saw Fast and The Furious Tokyo Drift [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: I Saw Fast and The Furious Tokyo Drift

ChargerPhotographer
06-13-2006, 11:31 AM
I saw a sneek preview of the Fast and The Furious Tokoyo Drift last night. It was awsome. If your a car fan your gonna love the movie. the car chases the drifting its all amazing.

No chargers in the movie but there are some big suprises.

Crazy_luck
06-13-2006, 11:41 AM
I'm gonna wait till it comes out on DVD. I saw the first two in theater and after the shows, all the idiots that watched the movie were trying to immitate what they just watched. I ain't risking my car sitting in a parking lot full of idiots if I don't have to...

steelwheels
06-13-2006, 12:00 PM
isn't this movie full of ricers ?

NYT
06-13-2006, 12:09 PM
did anyone pay to see it? dont know about you guys, but i sure as hell wouldnt pay $10 to see some fake drifting.

Shakin
06-13-2006, 12:09 PM
at least you know with drifting they have to be RWD

ChargerPhotographer
06-13-2006, 12:10 PM
i was concerned when i left the movie too but there was actually a mini tuner car show out front sponsored by the movie. some nice rides.

The movie does have a lot of Japanese cars in it but i see no problem with that. there amazing cars and the driving is bad ass. there are also some key American cars in the film too. and some cameos by 2 German rides.

PitchBlack
06-13-2006, 12:10 PM
I want to see it for the Mustang and the first-gen Monte Carlo

ChargerPhotographer
06-13-2006, 12:15 PM
did anyone pay to see it? dont know about you guys, but i sure as hell wouldnt pay $10 to see some fake drifting.
the drifting i saw in the movie was very realistic. i know there were some special effects but they had some of the top drifters in the world (Rhys Millen & Tanner Foust) doing the stunt driving.

steelwheels
06-13-2006, 12:19 PM
at least you know with drifting they have to be RWD
anybody ever see this movie about a guy in his Valiant trying to get away from a large truck ? It's an old film (1971) by Spielberg, and is 20 times better than the street racer ricer films being made now !

GLHS837
06-13-2006, 01:12 PM
the drifting i saw in the movie was very realistic. i know there were some special effects but they had some of the top drifters in the world (Rhys Millen & Tanner Foust) doing the stunt driving.

Sam Hubinette did stunt work for the movie also, so Id agree, its not fake drifting. If your faking it, you dont hire three of the best out there.

NYT
06-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Sam Hubinette did stunt work for the movie also, so Id agree, its not fake drifting. If your faking it, you dont hire three of the best out there.

im sorry, but when i saw the previews they showed a 350z (i think) drift up a pathway in a concrete car garage.

hiring people that drift give the movie cred. it doesnt mean that the movie isnt fake.

im not 100% sure of this though, i have done zero research of this movie due to its subject matter.

PitchBlack
06-13-2006, 03:41 PM
One of the drivers mentioned (I think it was Millen) had to do that up-the-driveway drift about 20 times before they got the take right. It was real. The guy is damn good.

NYT
06-13-2006, 04:42 PM
One of the drivers mentioned (I think it was Millen) had to do that up-the-driveway drift about 20 times before they got the take right. It was real. The guy is damn good.

he would need to be flying to get enough momentum to drift up the pathway. i dont think it was real at all...but hell, i dont know a lot about drifting. so maybe its possible...

realorc
06-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Do they get volume discounts for body repair work? :grin:

MCO_Carter
06-13-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm planning on seeing it this weekend for the exact same reason I loved the other two....the pure Cheese Factor. Who cares if it's "real" or not...if you want "real", I assume you never turn your television off of The Discover Channel? I sure as hell don't want to pay 10 bucks at the theatre for a documentary on the engineering and mechanics of true drift racing, I wanna go see it to have a damn good time at the movies, and thats what I'm planning on doing.

PitchBlack
06-13-2006, 05:15 PM
he would need to be flying to get enough momentum to drift up the pathway. i dont think it was real at all...but hell, i dont know a lot about drifting. so maybe its possible...

You say you don't know about drifting, then say you don't think it was real. :confused:

It was real, in a real car, by a hell of an experienced rally driver. One of the car mags, Hot Rod or Car Craft, had an article on it a month or so ago.

PitchBlack
06-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Do they get volume discounts for body repair work? :grin:

The guy in charge of the cars and stunts for the movie was handed $7 million to get the job done. They had an on-site body shop and fabrication facility. The street scenes were shot in L.A. using Japanese neon on the buildings. There is a Mustang in the movie that is supposed to have a Nissan engine in it (according to the movie plot), but the actual Mustang used in the stunts had a 430 ci Ford under the hood. They did build a Mustang with the Nissan engine for beauty shots.

NYT
06-13-2006, 05:30 PM
You say you don't know about drifting, then say you don't think it was real. :confused:

It was real, in a real car, by a hell of an experienced rally driver. One of the car mags, Hot Rod or Car Craft, had an article on it a month or so ago.

if you could produce the article, that would be great.

PitchBlack
06-13-2006, 05:50 PM
if you could produce the article, that would be great.

Hot Rod, July '06

GLHS837
06-13-2006, 05:56 PM
For the silent watchers, heres a still of the specific stunt under discussion

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/the_fast_and_the_furious__tokyo_drift/tokyodrift_garage.jpg

A quote from the director....

"There's so much technology involved in movies these days, audiences always think that the actor must be in front of a greenscreen. Luckily, we had some of the best stunt drivers in the world and I wanted to make sure that anything I came up with, they would be able to perform. They blew me away. One time, there was this little circular ramp and I asked them if they could 1/8drive up it 3/8 and they said 'We can do it.' And I said, 'Okay, let's build a railing, because you've only got four-inch clearance and you'll be driving in a circle going upwards.' And they said, 'No - we can really do it.' So I let them try and they did it! So that became a fun part of the stunts, to quality-control them. We didn't want cars flying through the air and doing crazy things unless the drivers could really do it."

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/movies/articles/0602justinlin0602.html

Rhys Millen, who evidently drove that ramp....

Millen is particularly proud of one stunt in the movie where DK's car drifts around a corner and uphill into a car park. "There was a $100 bet on that one," he laughs. "But I did it. I did it."

Initially they planned to tow the car up the incline with the actors inside. "They showed it to me and I said, 'Why don't we just slide up there?' The director was like, 'There's no way that can be done'. I said, 'You wanna bet?' "

And I think this is Rhys here, in the General Lee:)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6009518470999461163&q=general+lee

NYT
06-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Hot Rod, July '06

link?

GLHS837
06-13-2006, 06:07 PM
http://www.hotrod.com/toc/thismonth/index.html

Well, this does show that the July 06 edition did have an article about the movie, but it appears that its not online.

Car Movie Carnage
Ever wonder how movie cars are created? We did too, so we went behind the scenes as they built the Monte Carlos and Mustangs for The Fast & the Furious: Tokyo Drift.

ronaldrwl
06-13-2006, 06:14 PM
I confess. I like those neon lights in the interior. I guess I have a little ricer in me

Major
06-13-2006, 07:42 PM
The drifting is real...It's insane to see what they went through as far as tires and actual cars. They converted AWDs to RWD for the movie (VW and Evo) and imported all the 350s from Japan so they have to destroy them after the movie run is over to avoid paying the import fees and all that mess. It's in this months DUB magazine as well...

steelwheels
06-13-2006, 08:39 PM
They converted AWDs to RWD for the movie (VW and Evo) and imported all the 350s from Japan so they have to destroy them after the movie run is over to avoid paying the import fees and all that mess. It's in this months DUB magazine as well...[/QUOTE]
at least there are a few less ricer cars around now because of the movie !:bored:

Thunderkiss
06-13-2006, 08:44 PM
Is it just me or did I see more than a few Skylines in the trailer? I want one of those!!!

Can't say I'm a fan of the first 2 but this one looks HOT!!

NYT
06-13-2006, 10:27 PM
the stunt is amazing. they must have been going very fast to get that much momentum.

turbobuckeye
06-13-2006, 11:08 PM
I am planning to go check out the movie this weekend. If you like cars going fast, doing stunts, or just pimped out then the F&F trilogy is for you.

GLHS837
06-14-2006, 03:37 AM
the stunt is amazing. they must have been going very fast to get that much momentum.

Its not all momentum. Remember, while the spinning tires provide much less motive force, they still provide a little.

BetoMXL
06-14-2006, 04:19 AM
I'm planning on seeing it this weekend for the exact same reason I loved the other two....the pure Cheese Factor. Who cares if it's "real" or not...if you want "real", I assume you never turn your television off of The Discover Channel? I sure as hell don't want to pay 10 bucks at the theatre for a documentary on the engineering and mechanics of true drift racing, I wanna go see it to have a damn good time at the movies, and thats what I'm planning on doing.

:grin: :grin: exactly!!!!!

NYT
06-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Its not all momentum. Remember, while the spinning tires provide much less motive force, they still provide a little.

do you mean PMF (proton-motive force)?

GoDaddy
06-14-2006, 12:32 PM
while not a huge fan of the ricers i think the cars in this movie don't equate to a ricer. they are well put together machines that can make some great power. do i want one? NO. do i think it is fun to check them out? sure do.

i am just a good old car guy and if they are doing some cool stunts that make it all the better. my only wish is that they don't have a 5 minute long scene of a 1/4 mile! i hate that part in the original....that scene lasts quite literally 5 minutes for a 10 to 12 second moment. come on! anyway, wife and i plan on checking it out. sounds like good ol' leave your brain at the door fun.

NautcaSprt6
06-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Just to let everyone know, the scene with the 350Z going up the ramp was fake.
There was a bar bringing it up.
I bought the Franchise Edition of the Fast and Furious 1 and 2 and there was a dvd of the making of Tokyo Drift and they showed how they did it.
If you dont beieve me, go buy the franchise edition, or give me til tonight and I will try and take a pic of it and show u.

As for the cars drifting, the red evolution (i think it was an evolution) was replaced from FWD to RWD to make it drift.

The scene with the car drifiting around the other car was in fact real.

If you want to know whats real and not real, buy the Frachsie DVD and u will see.

GoDaddy
06-14-2006, 01:11 PM
cool! i wondered if that scene was real or not.

and i figured if it was...that is one hell of a driver. but i honestly didn't think the car going around the other car was real. crazy stuff. i would have smacked the car sitting still...lol.

GLHS837
06-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Just to let everyone know, the scene with the 350Z going up the ramp was fake.
There was a bar bringing it up.
I bought the Franchise Edition of the Fast and Furious 1 and 2 and there was a dvd of the making of Tokyo Drift and they showed how they did it.
If you dont beieve me, go buy the franchise edition, or give me til tonight and I will try and take a pic of it and show u.

As for the cars drifting, the red evolution (i think it was an evolution) was replaced from FWD to RWD to make it drift.

The scene with the car drifiting around the other car was in fact real.

If you want to know whats real and not real, buy the Frachsie DVD and u will see.

Hmmm, here, Rhys says they originally planned on that, but ended up doing it for real. Could be that he's lying, but I cant imagine why he would, not when theres lots of folks who would bust his ass for it. Not to mention the author makes it sound like he actuallt watched the event happen. Anyone want to e-mail the author and ask him about the discrepancy?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=115709#6

"Originally they were going to tow it up the ramp," explains Millen. "But I measured out the car and estimated the slip angle and the speed, and saw that I'd have 6 or 7 inches on either side. It was just prior knowledge of speed slip angles and proximity. So I did it."

Millen makes it sound easy, but watching him was mind-boggling. Starting on the second floor a few yards behind the ramp's lip he'd have the engine screaming before dumping the clutch, and the gray Z was already sideways as it bottomed on the thin metal drain where the ramp and garage deck abut. A few loud moments later the Nissan would practically leap onto the top floor, Millen would hit the brakes and the turbos could be heard spooling down through their waste gates. Several cameras recorded the action from different angles.

chargershed
06-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Hmmm, here, Rhys says they originally planned on that, but ended up doing it for real. Could be that he's lying, but I cant imagine why he would, not when theres lots of folks who would bust his ass for it. Not to mention the author makes it sound like he actuallt watched the event happen. Anyone want to e-mail the author and ask him about the discrepancy?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=115709#6
I smell contoversy brewing...(sniff, sniff, sniiiiifffff) http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/character0275.gif
sounds like some more digging is in order....

NautcaSprt6
06-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Just so everyone thinks im not BSing, ill try and make a video later tonight.
Maybe I was seeing things wrong :knockout: but I know what I saw (I hope)

chargershed
06-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Just so everyone thinks im not BSing, ill try and make a video later tonight.
Maybe I was seeing things wrong :knockout: but I know what I saw (I hope)
That might have been the case, sometimes they put together those "sneak peak" features before all of the final production is done... so you both could be right, they probably had to tow the vehicle up for the interior driver shots, then had the one shot of the vehicle actually performing the stunt... edit together, should look fantastic....

BTW, I have read a few books on filmmaking...http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/character0071.gif

GLHS837
06-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Oh, I dont think your BSing. Not at all. I think CS is onto it. Both are right. They might have tested the rail, then let Rhys take a shot at driving it later in production, which they used.

rossb
06-14-2006, 02:45 PM
There is a Mustang in the movie that is supposed to have a Nissan engine in it (according to the movie plot)

Whats the point of that?

NYT
06-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Whats the point of that?

because rice engines make more hp than american v8s...

MCO_Carter
06-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Whats the point of that?

If I had to guess, I would a tricked out NISMO engine is probably a lot easier, and cheaper, to come by in Japan than a tricked out good condition Ford engine.

Don't diss it because of the Nissan brand, a Skyline can be a mean set of wheels.

GLHS837
06-14-2006, 05:18 PM

Nah, just more hp per liter:)

Of course that doesnt make them any faster, or better:) Just more hp per liter, which makes you sound like you know what your talking about and supposedly gives a superiority of efficiency, or some such:)

Blah, blah, in my book:) Go fast, dont brag:)

ChargerPhotographer
06-14-2006, 05:37 PM
If I had to guess, I would a tricked out NISMO engine is probably a lot easier, and cheaper, to come by in Japan than a tricked out good condition Ford engine.

Don't diss it because of the Nissan brand, a Skyline can be a mean set of wheels.

Just watch the movie the whole nismo engine swap will all make sense

italiasown
06-14-2006, 06:07 PM
did vin diesel make a guest appearance in it?

GoDaddy
06-14-2006, 07:27 PM
did vin diesel make a guest appearance in it?

i just saw a trailer that had him in it as well....so i want to know that as well?

legmaker
06-14-2006, 07:50 PM
i am just a good old car guy and if they are doing some cool stunts that make it all the better. my only wish is that they don't have a 5 minute long scene of a 1/4 mile! i hate that part in the original....that scene lasts quite literally 5 minutes for a 10 to 12 second moment. come on! anyway, wife and i plan on checking it out. sounds like good ol' leave your brain at the door fun.

go daddy - well put.......

legmaker
06-14-2006, 07:55 PM
anybody ever see this movie about a guy in his Valiant trying to get away from a large truck ? It's an old film (1971) by Spielberg, and is 20 times better than the street racer ricer films being made now !

yes - dennis weaver was the guy driving the variant (i think) and the movie scared the hell out of me when i was a kid going cross country with my parents!!!! :halloween

FurBurger
06-15-2006, 06:35 AM

Just curious...you calling em rice because they have stickers, big spoilers, big mufflers, etc or you calling em rice cause they're made by an asian automaker??

Charger R/T
06-15-2006, 06:49 AM
Sure do, starred Dennis Weaver.

brogers93
06-15-2006, 07:02 AM
Don't care for ricers in person...won't waste my money to go see them in a movie!

GLHS837
06-15-2006, 07:12 AM
I suppose it comes down to your definition of "ricer". Some differeing definitions

1. Any four cylinder, regardless of origin
2. Any Asian four cylinder (of course, we wont talk of Honds made in Marysville, OH, of Toyotas produced in Terre Haute, IN, while the LX is made in Canada:))
3. Any car with stickers
4. Any car thats loud
5. Any car plastered with ornamental crap that does not make it go faster (my personal definition:))
6. About 1,000 others

MCO_Carter
06-15-2006, 08:04 AM
To me, the term "ricer" is a guy who throws a $2500 body kit, an oversized exhaust tip, and a glasspack on a bone-stock Honda Civic and thinks he can run a 10 second 1/4 mile. If he's REALLY rich, he'll throw color matched windsield wiper arms, and a custom made sticker in the back window.

However, legitmate Imports Tuners (such as the type that build the cars in the F&F movies) are every bit as into cars as anyone around here. They know their stuff....the only difference being the type of cars they are into, and I certainly won't begrudge them for that

RTjunkie
06-15-2006, 08:30 AM
To me, the term "ricer" is a guy who throws a $2500 body kit, an oversized exhaust tip, and a glasspack on a bone-stock Honda Civic and thinks he can run a 10 second 1/4 mile. If he's REALLY rich, he'll throw color matched windsield wiper arms, and a custom made sticker in the back window.

However, legitmate Imports Tuners (such as the type that build the cars in the F&F movies) are every bit as into cars as anyone around here. They know their stuff....the only difference being the type of cars they are into, and I certainly won't begrudge them for that

Amen! :clap:

sandt
06-15-2006, 08:41 AM

Nothing wrong with that if that's what you're into. Most here don't seem to be (including me), but again, we're on a Charger website. :)

double amen :clap:

GLHS837
06-15-2006, 08:52 AM
Sorry, but being on a Charger site doesnt mean that anything not a Charger sucks:)

Heres a toughy, one of the stunt drivers for that movies makes his living drifting, and owns his own personal SRT-8 Charger. Is he a ricer? Is the Viper he drives in drift competions rice?

My point is that blanket statments and generalizations just dont work.

PitchBlack
06-15-2006, 09:28 AM
There was a Honda Accord coupe at my place of employment yesterday. It had the tall wing, ground effects, big wheels, etc. But it was very well done, as tasteful as that sort of thing can be, and was very cleanly executed. I appreciate the work the guy put into his car, and he was as proud of his car as I am my Daytona. More power to him.

Thunderkiss
06-15-2006, 09:29 AM
Sorry, but being on a Charger site doesnt mean that anything not a Charger sucks:)

Heres a toughy, one of the stunt drivers for that movies makes his living drifting, and owns his own personal SRT-8 Charger. Is he a ricer? Is the Viper he drives in drift competions rice?

My point is that blanket statments and generalizations just dont work.

I wish we had the "beating a dead horse" smilie!!!

I agree with everything you said.

But some of the cement heads around here think you're a ricer because of your SRT-4.

Let's face it, if it doesn't fall into their narrow view of cars, they think they're better than you!:confused:

NYT
06-15-2006, 09:38 AM
I suppose it comes down to your definition of "ricer". Some differeing definitions

1. Any four cylinder, regardless of origin
2. Any Asian four cylinder (of course, we wont talk of Honds made in Marysville, OH, of Toyotas produced in Terre Haute, IN, while the LX is made in Canada:))
3. Any car with stickers
4. Any car thats loud
5. Any car plastered with ornamental crap that does not make it go faster (my personal definition:))
6. About 1,000 others

all of these narrowed down to one:

Def of a ricer: a slow car made to look fast.

XXL HEMI
06-15-2006, 10:40 AM
It all boils down to just another car enthusists that does not share the same taste as you in mods! Give them a brake they will grow out of it.

NautcaSprt6
06-15-2006, 10:48 AM

4. Any car thats loud

5. Any car plastered with ornamental crap that does not make it go faster (my personal definition)

#4 is NOT true to me.
I personally have a exhaust on my 300C and its loud, so does that consider me a ricer, NO.
Alot of people on this forum have loud exhaust, are they ricers?

I agree with #5 though, but where I live alot of people have imports and have the loud exhaust with 18 different colored car parts with donuts, but you know what, thats what gets them from Point A to Point B.

GLHS837
06-15-2006, 11:09 AM
No, they aren't. Those are not MY difintions, except number 5:) And a car that has different colored parts becuase the junkyard didnt have a match is one thing. Or its loud becuase the paycheck didnt cover exhuast work after eating, thats understandable.

I drove a smoke bellowing 89 Blazer for months becuase I couldnt find a used motor that I could afford:) But when a young man shows me his super cool race exhuast that he "modified" by attacking it with a hacksaw, thats rice:)

RTjunkie
06-15-2006, 11:14 AM

Just for some playful discussion....you can't forget...he's getting paid to drive those two cars. (MDC and MDV) ;)

RTjunkie
06-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Also...I think the "exhaust" description is a tad subjective. I think in order for this to be seen effectively when comparing "rice" to the Charger, we would need to have dual 7" exhaust cans protruding from under our rear bumpers. Folgers should suffice perfectly.

chargershed
06-15-2006, 11:47 AM
I have ( I think) a unique perspective on this... I have owned many,many diffrent types of cars... modded my old school Pontiacs and my Suzuki Swift GTs...I never went "rice" with the crazy wings and such, but I lowered it put in a JDM( japaneese domestic market) engine, "big" ( 16 inch) wheels, big brakes exhaust, custom fabricated intake etc... I loved to shock some idiot in a Mustang or a camaro who thougt their car was fast because they put on some flowmasters... the swift would rev to 7500 rpms and the exhaust note sounded like a ferrari, handled like a go cart... would take my bro's Jag XK-R and run away from it in the mountain hiways around denver... my plate said notageo( swifts look like the old geo metro)... does that make me "rice"? not to me... sometimes( even though I have the car I really want) I wish I still had that little rocket... slicing up rush hour traffic, banzaiing off and on ramps at break-neck speeds...the direct feel of the car...Then I mash the gas on my Charger...

GLHS837
06-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Just for some playful discussion....you can't forget...he's getting paid to drive those two cars. (MDC and MDV) ;)

True, true, but he's not getting paid to drive the SRT-8 he bought for himself. And added a GS blower onto. I'll also note he bought the car from our sponsor Bill Pemberton from Woodhouse Dodge.

https://www.urbanracer.com/articles/anmviewer.asp?a=1919&z=29

Q. YOU RECENTLY PURCHASED YOUR OWN DODGE CHARGER SRT8. DO YOU THINK HAVING THE CAR AS AN EVERYDAY DRIVER WILL HELP YOU WHEN YOU COMPETE?

A. I think it already has, because I'm starting to feel comfortable behind the wheel. It's definitely good to have the same car for your everyday use. I bought my Dodge Charger SRT8 from Woodhouse Dodge in Nebraska, and drove it all the way back to CaliforniA. I broke it in real good! (Laughs)

Now, I'm sure he got a deal, but even so, at that level, you can drive any damn thing you want off duty.

RTjunkie
06-15-2006, 01:53 PM
True, true, but he's not getting paid to drive the SRT-8 he bought for himself. And added a GS blower onto. I'll also note he bought the car from our sponsor Bill Pemberton from Woodhouse Dodge.

https://www.urbanracer.com/articles/anmviewer.asp?a=1919&z=29

Now, I'm sure he got a deal, but even so, at that level, you can drive any damn thing you want off duty.

Damn right! :D

I'd just love to go for a ride in that Mopar Drift Charger...I think that would definately leave me wanting to trade my R/T in for her big sister!

brogers93
06-15-2006, 03:32 PM
To me, ricer = asian import. Never owned one, never will. Just not my thing. I don't care if it has 1500hp from a 55 gal barrel of nitrous...still don't care for the crap!!

GLHS837
06-15-2006, 03:52 PM
To me, ricer = asian import. Never owned one, never will. Just not my thing. I don't care if it has 1500hp from a 55 gal barrel of nitrous...still don't care for the crap!!

Ah, so now we must define asian import:)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06131/689345-185.stm

Personally, I dont want to be this guy:)

What isn't clear is how Mustang fans like Fred Barkley, president of the Bluegrass Mustang Club of Lexington, Ky., would react to the news that the Mustang is only 65 percent American, at least by one government measure. Mr. Barkley, owner of three Mustangs, one from 1965 and two from the early 1990s, says it "doesn't bother me too much." Told the Toyota Sienna has higher North American content than the Mustang, he is unimpressed. "I wouldn't buy a Sienna," he says. "I don't like them because they are foreign."

Its a big world guys, with a lot of cool stuff. Sad to blow of more than half of it becuase its furrin:) WRC cars are amazing, as one small example.

jrtman
06-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Any Asian-import is a ricer and I'll defend that statement to the death. But for a person to be considered ricer they have to do certain things to their car.

This page (http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/you_might_be_a_ricer_if.html) entitled "You might be a ricer if..." pretty much covers everything and anything that you can slap the term ricer on.

The ricers that really piss me off are the ones that fake videos of Honda Civics beating Vipers and then post the very same video over and over and over again on YouTube.

Thunderkiss
06-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Any Asian-import is a ricer and I'll defend that statement to the death. But for a person to be considered ricer they have to do certain things to their car.

This page (http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/you_might_be_a_ricer_if.html) entitled "You might be a ricer if..." pretty much covers everything and anything that you can slap the term ricer on.

The ricers that really piss me off are the ones that fake videos of Honda Civics beating Vipers and then post the very same video over and over and over again on YouTube.

See my last post.

Ah, the open-minded.

Almost makes me want to build one and hunt you humps down!!

GLHS837
06-15-2006, 04:03 PM
So, is an "Asian import" based on the name, regardless of maker? All Honda, even Accords made in Ohio, with %90 US content? What about Chevrolets cars that are made overseas and rebadged?

How about Mazda trucks that are really Ford rangers? Hmmm, what about a Saab that is really a WRX under the skin?

Thunderkiss
06-15-2006, 04:04 PM
Any Asian-import is a ricer and I'll defend that statement to the death.

I'm interested in how you will defend your statement.

What gospel proof do you have that God calls all asian cars ricers?

Or, if not God, what is your authority?

And if you say your opinion, I think I'm getting a good idea of what that's worth.

Thunderkiss
06-15-2006, 04:05 PM
So, is an "Asian import" based on the name, regardless of maker? All Honda, even Accords made in Ohio, with %90 US content? What about Chevrolets cars that are made overseas and rebadged?

How about Mazda trucks that are really Ford rangers? Hmmm, what about a Saab that is really a WRX under the skin?

I guess my Charger is a hockey puck on wheels!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!

jrtman
06-15-2006, 06:48 PM

I said import, not US made. As to your last statement, Ford owns Mazda.

I'm interested in how you will defend your statement.

What gospel proof do you have that God calls all asian cars ricers?

Or, if not God, what is your authority?

And if you say your opinion, I think I'm getting a good idea of what that's worth.
I don't even know how to respond to those statements. I never brought religion into the subject or discussion of the term ricer.

Why would I call all Asian-imports ricers, you ask? Because that's what the term originated for.

Ah, the open-minded.

Almost makes me want to build one and hunt you humps down!!
It's weird that you would bring racism, or presumably bring racism, into the mix. I can't see how you could jump from the subject of cars into the subject of racial intolerence.

Asia is part of a continent, products that come from Asia are Asian. I never said cars made by companies owned by Asian persons are ricers because of the race of their makers.

----

It's weird that people can get so touchy so fast, but I guess in the 21st century people like to pull the race card without knowing the facts.

daffin
06-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Hey, howsabout we all step outside for a minute and admire our cars? :grin:

Ack! Still no Charger in my driveway! I want it yesterday! :cry:

rossb
06-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Just watch the movie the whole nismo engine swap will all make sense

I don't plan to see this movie so someone will have to explain the whole swap a Ford motor for a Nissan motor concept to me. Was the Mustang originally a 6 or 8 cylinder car?

GLHS837
06-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Open mindedness does not always mean race. Folks can be closeminded about anything, cars, race, anything, heck, I have a coworker whos closedminded about space travel:)

So, the only ricer vehicles are ones that are actually built in Japan and brought over on a ship?

Scions are ricers, but these Toyota and Subaru products are not

Toyota now plans to assemble its best-selling Camry sedan at Fuji's plant in Lafayette, Indiana. The Lafayette plant once assembled Isuzu products and now builds a variety of Subaru models, including the Legacy and the B9 Tribeca.

Lexus 330s are made in Canada, so thier cool:) Camrys, ditto:)

Honda we wont even touch, tons of stuff.

My point is how do you know which Japanese branded vehicles to look down on? Do you keep track of which ones ship over? What about ones where production is split? Do you run the VIN for point of production? Or just wing it:)

Thunderkiss
06-15-2006, 08:30 PM
I said import, not US made. As to your last statement, Ford owns Mazda.

I don't even know how to respond to those statements. I never brought religion into the subject or discussion of the term ricer.

Why would I call all Asian-imports ricers, you ask? Because that's what the term originated for.

It's weird that you would bring racism, or presumably bring racism, into the mix. I can't see how you could jump from the subject of cars into the subject of racial intolerence.

Asia is part of a continent, products that come from Asia are Asian. I never said cars made by companies owned by Asian persons are ricers because of the race of their makers.

----

It's weird that people can get so touchy so fast, but I guess in the 21st century people like to pull the race card without knowing the facts.

Wowwww, you go right to racism, that's a simple jump, but I am considering the source.

And where did you get religion from an obvious sarcastic remark.

They build em real dim up in milk land I guess.

And I think you're a lil sensitive about the race thing.

What's wrong, sheets in the laundry?

Thunderkiss
06-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Open mindedness does not always mean race. Folks can be closeminded about anything, cars, race, anything, heck, I have a coworker whos closedminded about space travel:)

So, the only ricer vehicles are ones that are actually built in Japan and brought over on a ship?

Scions are ricers, but these Toyota and Subaru products are not

Lexus 330s are made in Canada, so thier cool:) Camrys, ditto:)

Honda we wont even touch, tons of stuff.

My point is how do you know which Japanese branded vehicles to look down on? Do you keep track of which ones ship over? What about ones where production is split? Do you run the VIN for point of production? Or just wing it:)

What's the use unless you plan on pointing out what a closed-minded dope he is?

It's obvious from his retorts that a box of rocks scored better on the SATs.

GoDaddy
06-15-2006, 08:39 PM
good lord thunder - you are killing me dude! that is some funny stuff........

GLHS837
06-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Thunder, remember, no calling names. Factual arguments are fine, along with opinions, but dont call names, please.

Closed-minded is a descriptive term, dolt, however, is not.

Thunderkiss
06-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Thunder, remember, no calling names. Factual arguments are fine, along with opinions, but dont call names, please.

Closed-minded is a descriptive term, dolt, however, is not.

Darn, I forgot about dolt.

J/K, I hear yah!

turbobuckeye
07-01-2006, 01:56 PM
If you like seeing cars in movies going fast or doing some tricks that entertain you and folks just generally taking pride in their cars go check out the movie.

Personally I liked the movie. The drifting sport is very interesting. I think the movie was trying to give everyone something different than what we are use to seeing. There are millions of movies out there with cars drag racing. You can only do it so many times before you are like, yeah I've seen that before, big deal.

The movie also tried to be true to the location it was being filmed. It is possible that you could find a Mustang body in Japan but not likely to find a matching motor in running condition. So, the NIssan motor makes sense for that very simple reason. If they had dropped a Ford motor in it, everyone would have called bs because they were in Japan.

The movie played on a lot of stereotypes because that is what everyone that goes to these movies pays to see. (America vs. Japan; import vs. domestic; rich vs. poor; good vs. evil; cat vs. dog . . . . etc.)

Bottom line . . . . . . . its just a friggin movie. :lol:

steelwheels
07-01-2006, 05:22 PM
If you like seeing cars in movies going fast or doing some tricks that entertain you and folks just generally taking pride in their cars go check out the movie.

Personally I liked the movie. The drifting sport is very interesting. I think the movie was trying to give everyone something different than what we are use to seeing. There are millions of movies out there with cars drag racing. You can only do it so many times before you are like, yeah I've seen that before, big deal.

The movie also tried to be true to the location it was being filmed. It is possible that you could find a Mustang body in Japan but not likely to find a matching motor in running condition. So, the NIssan motor makes sense for that very simple reason. If they had dropped a Ford motor in it, everyone would have called bs because they were in Japan.

The movie played on a lot of stereotypes because that is what everyone that goes to these movies pays to see. (America vs. Japan; import vs. domestic; rich vs. poor; good vs. evil; cat vs. dog . . . . etc.)

Bottom line . . . . . . . its just a friggin movie. :lol:I'll save my money on this movie considering the low ratings it's been receiving, it should move to DVD very soon !

JasonB
07-01-2006, 05:59 PM
The only good part of the whole movie was the last 5 minutes.

Oh.. and whoever came up with the idea of putting that crap ass jap motor in an america car, should be killed, plain and simple, just KILLED.

ChargerPhotographer
07-03-2006, 12:34 PM
I loved the movie cant wait till F and F 4!

R/T_ChicK
07-03-2006, 09:41 PM
The only good part of the whole movie was the last 5 minutes.

Oh.. and whoever came up with the idea of putting that crap ass jap motor in an america car, should be killed, plain and simple, just KILLED.

My thoughts exactly!

Thunderkiss
07-03-2006, 09:47 PM

Bottom line . . . . . . . its just a friggin movie. :lol:

I admit I am a newbie when it comes to drifting.

What I do understand is simple physics.

I saw that there is a Charger drift car.

Doesn't it make more sense for a drift car to be a front wheel drive??

Then give me a 66 Toronado!!!!!

Ridin Rims
07-12-2006, 03:45 PM
im sorry, but when i saw the previews they showed a 350z (i think) drift up a pathway in a concrete car garage.

hiring people that drift give the movie cred. it doesnt mean that the movie isnt fake.

im not 100% sure of this though, i have done zero research of this movie due to its subject matter.

Thats actually very real. It took 9 cars and the drift king of the world but they got it done.

GLHS837
07-12-2006, 03:53 PM
By "drift king of the world", do you mean Rhys Millen? Becuase thats who did that stunt.

mighty noid
07-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Did everyone forget this one point....

IT'S A MOVIE!!!...

Who cares what was real or fake... When you watched E.T. when you were a kid... did you think it was REAL??? It is called entertainment...

If you just saw Superman... do you think that there is a real person that can do all that stuff???

You guys kill me about what stunt was real or what was fake... ENTERTAINMENT....

GoDaddy
07-12-2006, 07:57 PM
If you just saw Superman... do you think that there is a real person that can do all that stuff???

well, <sheepishly looks away>, yes......:nervous s