Fuse box question [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Fuse box question

AvsBest
06-14-2012, 02:51 PM
I added some electronics to my car and I wired it straight to the fuse box. I tried all the empty fuses slot and they all provide continuous power to my electronics. By keeping the electronics wired to the fuse box, what can I do to have them power on/off with the ignition?

hskr
06-14-2012, 03:37 PM
What type of electronics are we talking about?

AvsBest
06-14-2012, 03:39 PM
What type of electronics are we talking about?

Radar detector. Is is already pre-wired for the fuse box, it has that little connector on the end that fits perfectly in the fuse box. The only problem is that all the fuses seem to have constant power

hskr
06-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Should wire it to the aux power outlet in the dash. Less wire length to have to run. And there is a fuse in trunk that you can move from one spot to the next to give it power with ignition only, or constant.

AvsBest
06-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Should wire it to the aux power outlet in the dash. Less wire length to have to run. And there is a fuse in trunk that you can move from one spot to the next to give it power with ignition only, or constant.

I am already through the firewall and going backwards is not going to happen. I have this thing for a few months now, it is nothing new. I can live with it like that I just wanted it a little better

hskr
06-14-2012, 06:41 PM
The fuse box under the hood wouldn't be the best place to tap for power. If you wanted to use a fuse box the one in the trunk has all the switched power ports. Or like I said, tap into the aux power jack wiring which is usually the preferred place to get power.

Ddaddy
06-14-2012, 06:53 PM
I added some electronics to my car and I wired it straight to the fuse box. I tried all the empty fuses slot and they all provide continuous power to my electronics. By keeping the electronics wired to the fuse box, what can I do to have them power on/off with the ignition?

You can wire in a relay switch that gets it's power from a source that is powered on/off with the ignition. Place it in-line to the hot lead you are using from the fuse box and the switch will only close (on) when it gets power from the ignition connected source and will be open (off) when the ignition is off.

hskr
06-14-2012, 07:58 PM
You can wire in a relay switch that gets it's power from a source that is powered on/off with the ignition. Place it in-line to the hot lead you are using from the fuse box and the switch will only close (on) when it gets power from the ignition connected source and will be open (off) when the ignition is off.
If he's going to do that, might as well just re-wire the radar detector itself to a switch power source.

Ddaddy
06-14-2012, 08:07 PM
If he's going to do that, might as well just re-wire the radar detector itself to a switch power source.

True, but that's not the question he asked.

Sometimes you have to answer the question that is asked rather than suggest a better path. Some folks prefer to build on what they have already done rather than redoing it all.

Even if it is more total work...it's less incremental effort to get where they want to go. ;)

hskr
06-14-2012, 08:37 PM
With adding in electronics like that, especially on these cars, sometimes it's better to follow the KISS method. Inducing too many variables will just lead to problems down the road.

Ddaddy
06-14-2012, 08:44 PM
With adding in electronics like that, especially on these cars, sometimes it's better to follow the KISS method. Inducing too many variables will just lead to problems down the road.

I agree and I wouldn't do it that way as a first choice. More complicated isn't better and generally leads to more problems (the more complex the system, the greater the likelyhood of failures).

However, I also understand the desire not to rework what already exists and add a small incremental effort to get the desired outcome. There is "Good" and there is "Good enough". :)

AvsBest
06-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks guys I will see what I can do. The better solution would be to use the rear one but I don't want to spend another 2 hours of taking apart a system that I created in the first place. I also don't know if I will run out of wire as the rear route is longer. I might just do the good enough method and use a relay.

If I decide to go the rear fuse route, where is the best place to feed my wire through the back seat area?

hskr
06-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Better solution would be to just use the AUX power wiring in the dash instead of running wires any further than you need to.