Finally Picked one/First Car/Extended Warranty?? [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Finally Picked one/First Car/Extended Warranty??

Miss Innocent
03-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Finally got my black 2010 sxt RWD. 18,000km, $18,900 with all the dealership fees and tax. Picked it up this morning, (please ignore the sloppy hair lol, spent 11 hours on a bus over night to Winnipeg... sleep didn't happen for more than 3 hours. Too many strange people on there.) They picked me up around 10am and we took a test drive. Rear wheel is FUN on iced roads... Winnipeg got freezing rain the day/night before I got there.

This is my cars story:
It was a rental vehicle in Nova Scotia for a very short amount of time and then made its way to Quebec where it was safetied there.. but never registered. Then a woman who is very high up in the police bought it. She had the windows tinted, had someone professionally install the seat heaters, added the spoiler, car starter and 5 grand worth of tires and custom rims. She had it for a year and when she sold it back to the dealership for a Challenger, it still only had 17,400km on it, but was kept in immaculate shape and condition.

So today when I was signing away my life, the sales woman asked if I wanted extended warranty, my father (over the phone) had declined, but I'm kinda thinking we should have gotten it. She said we had till the end of the month to decide. For the extended bumper to bumper she gave the following prices... till 2015= $1900, 2016=$2100, 2017=$2300.

I'm not sure what I should be doing, my gut instinct is to get the extended because of how computerized the cars now are; my father doesn't realize that cars aren't built like they were in previous years...

Can people weigh in on this for me? I would appreciate it, thanks :)

(Attached is Boss and I)

DTrem13
03-03-2012, 10:20 PM
I got the extended warranty for my car. It's a good 'piece of mind' investment. I'll be glad I have it once/if something big happens to my car and I don't have to worry about paying up front for it. I think it's a good investment personally.

Sethjamto
03-04-2012, 06:16 PM
I added both the ext warranty and gap insurance to mine for peace of mind. Odds are I won't need it, but.......

Hebrew Hammer
03-04-2012, 06:28 PM
I got a lifetime warranty with a hundred dollar deductible for $2700 which is great, but it says i'm not supposed to race :(

Ddaddy
03-04-2012, 06:31 PM
I bought the MaxCare 7/100 on my SRT and it has paid for itself with motor mounts, strut tensioner bushings, rear axle seal leak, cooling fan replacement and a cracked belly pan...all of which happened past the original 3/36 warranty.

I have it on my wife's 2005 Grand Caravan and it also paid for itself. I also had them on my 2006 F-150 and 2006 Bronco and both of them paid for themselves with the Bronco racking up nearly $8,000 in repairs past the factory warranty. The ABS system and suspension bushings chewing up nearly half of that in one shot. The F-150 racked up $2,000 in one shot with the dual tank fuel pumps frying and the clutch coming unglued at the same time.

I will continue to purchase them on any vehicle I plan to keep past the original factory warranty since at this point I'm well over $12,000 ahead on 4 vehicles by getting them.

dantalian
03-05-2012, 11:56 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. Where is the best place to buy? What about eservicecontracts?

BlueKnights
03-10-2012, 09:21 PM
I used eservice and do not regret it. http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/ gives you an extra dose of info, such as:

Get A Genuine Chrysler Service Contract And Save Up To 40%

You don't need to pay full retail for factory-backed protection. Our internet sales model allows us to offer a genuine Chrysler extended warranty at highly discounted prices. These are the same genuine Chrysler warranties your local dealership may have offered you at a much higher price, and are honored at every Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep dealership in the United States and Canada. Any Chrysler vehicle that is less than 4 years old and has fewer than 48,000 miles is eligible. If your vehicle is a 2007 or newer, you may qualify for a Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain warranty.

Miss Innocent
03-11-2012, 06:26 PM
I used eservice and do not regret it. http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/ gives you an extra dose of info, such as:

Get A Genuine Chrysler Service Contract And Save Up To 40%

You don't need to pay full retail for factory-backed protection. Our internet sales model allows us to offer a genuine Chrysler extended warranty at highly discounted prices. These are the same genuine Chrysler warranties your local dealership may have offered you at a much higher price, and are honored at every Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep dealership in the United States and Canada. Any Chrysler vehicle that is less than 4 years old and has fewer than 48,000 miles is eligible. If your vehicle is a 2007 or newer, you may qualify for a Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain warranty.
I can get it even if I'm in Canada?

Adeptus
03-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Finally got my black 2010 sxt RWD. 18,000km, $18,900 with all the dealership fees and tax. Picked it up this morning, (please ignore the sloppy hair lol, spent 11 hours on a bus over night to Winnipeg... sleep didn't happen for more than 3 hours. Too many strange people on there.) They picked me up around 10am and we took a test drive. Rear wheel is FUN on iced roads... Winnipeg got freezing rain the day/night before I got there.

This is my cars story:
It was a rental vehicle in Nova Scotia for a very short amount of time and then made its way to Quebec where it was safetied there.. but never registered. Then a woman who is very high up in the police bought it. She had the windows tinted, had someone professionally install the seat heaters, added the spoiler, car starter and 5 grand worth of tires and custom rims. She had it for a year and when she sold it back to the dealership for a Challenger, it still only had 17,400km on it, but was kept in immaculate shape and condition.

So today when I was signing away my life, the sales woman asked if I wanted extended warranty, my father (over the phone) had declined, but I'm kinda thinking we should have gotten it. She said we had till the end of the month to decide. For the extended bumper to bumper she gave the following prices... till 2015= $1900, 2016=$2100, 2017=$2300.

I'm not sure what I should be doing, my gut instinct is to get the extended because of how computerized the cars now are; my father doesn't realize that cars aren't built like they were in previous years...

Can people weigh in on this for me? I would appreciate it, thanks :)

(Attached is Boss and I)

Nice looking car. I say to hell with the warranty. its a well built vehicle.

Miss Innocent
03-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Nice looking car. I say to hell with the warranty. its a well built vehicle.

sarcasm? lol do you own a charger? Or a newer vehicle at all? They are all electronics, which can be very pricey to fix.

Adeptus
03-12-2012, 10:40 AM
sarcasm? lol do you own a charger? Or a newer vehicle at all? They are all electronics, which can be very pricey to fix.

2011 charger

Polarben
03-12-2012, 10:53 AM
I concur that any modern car is packed with lots of expensive electronic equipment. I have purchased a manufacturer's extended warranty on all of my past and present vehicles and those for my wife. In each case, the extended warranty has more than paid for itself, except for the Challenger which only has 2700 miles on it. But the Challenger had a couple of electronic issues which the original factory warranty took care of, including the battery which failed at 2500 miles....probably from lack of regular use.

joshross
03-20-2012, 03:32 PM
I bought the MaxCare 7/100 on my SRT and it has paid for itself with motor mounts, strut tensioner bushings, rear axle seal leak, cooling fan replacement and a cracked belly pan...all of which happened past the original 3/36 warranty.

I have it on my wife's 2005 Grand Caravan and it also paid for itself. I also had them on my 2006 F-150 and 2006 Bronco and both of them paid for themselves with the Bronco racking up nearly $8,000 in repairs past the factory warranty. The ABS system and suspension bushings chewing up nearly half of that in one shot. The F-150 racked up $2,000 in one shot with the dual tank fuel pumps frying and the clutch coming unglued at the same time.

I will continue to purchase them on any vehicle I plan to keep past the original factory warranty since at this point I'm well over $12,000 ahead on 4 vehicles by getting them.

i also just found out i have a rear axle seal leak on my 06 rt

joshross
03-20-2012, 03:35 PM
at the dealership i bought my charger from. if you dont use your extended warranty and it expires they will give you all the money you spent on the warranty back after the car is paid off. you should see if your dealership will do that

Miss Innocent
03-20-2012, 08:39 PM
at the dealership i bought my charger from. if you dont use your extended warranty and it expires they will give you all the money you spent on the warranty back after the car is paid off. you should see if your dealership will do that
Even if the car was paid for in full from the second I bought it?

joshross
03-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Even if the car was paid for in full from the second I bought it?

im sure you could buy a two year warranty or something similar and if u dont use it they might give you your money back. you should ask for some options from your salesmen for sure

Miss Innocent
03-20-2012, 09:23 PM
im sure you could buy a two year warranty or something similar and if u dont use it they might give you your money back. you should ask for some options from your salesmen for sure
I really haven't given it much thought, my dad is really against extended warranty, as is everyone I've talked to. If I wait till next march, it's an extra grand to buy it.
It's a 'my first car' stupidity really, I know very little about vehicles in general and I'm blindly following what my father says. Even though I'll be footing the bill if anything happens.

joshross
03-20-2012, 11:13 PM
they should have a lot of different plans for your warranty like covering everything or just certain things. you just gotta get the right deal and it wont hurt to ask them about it. but having a car with only 18,000 km you shouldnt have any problems

SXYSXR
03-21-2012, 07:06 AM
we personally turned down the extended warranty and gap because we had a bad experience with the warranty's on other vehicle's in the past. Maybe its better now but back 20 years ago they were a joke.

UN4GTBL
03-21-2012, 08:36 AM
When I bought my car originally I purchased 2 more years of extended "Gold Plan" warranty from Chrysler Canada. It paid for itself twice in all the suspension work I've had done.

Just before the extended warranty was up at the end of January, I went back and added another couple of years because of the suspension, and the electrical components of my car.

The electrical issues can be very, very expensive to find and repair, and I didn't feel like having to deal with that on my dime, if one was to come up.

frank1966
04-01-2012, 11:23 AM
great info, didnt want to lose the thread for when i need to buy an extened warranty

r.bouz
04-01-2012, 01:17 PM
i was talked into it by the stupid pushy dealership to buy the extended warranty, i ended up cancelling it and getting most of my money back and putting it towards the amount i owe, i feel like that was a better choice for me. the way i look at it is these are fleet cars, they are used as rentals, and taxi cars all around the world. this meaning that they are reliable and well built. my old chevy malibu was the same way, and its still running 100%and worst comes to worst if there is any issues i can always go see my friends at the dealership :D and that my friends is how you save 1600$