Little blue EGR tube seal problems [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Little blue EGR tube seal problems

BroncoBcc
02-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Hello,

Im new to this forum and need some help.

My car is the 2007 Dodge Charger SXT with the 3.5L V-6

I recently had my mechanic change my spark plugs. He had to remove the upper air intake manifold. After the repair, I started to hear a whistling sound and took it back and he said the EGR gasket was leaking.

He removed the manifold again and changed the gakset again, then after about a month the whistling stated again and then it quit but the car threw the ETC light on and went into limp mode.

When I took it back to him, the enitre little blue gasket was sucked into the engine!

He replaced it again, but now it is doing the same thing. He took it off again, and once again, the little blue gasket it GONE!

My mechanic wants to replace the entire upper air intake becuase he can not see anything in the plastic manifold that will hold the gasket in place, and possibly it is warped. There is nothing in the manifold itself that looks like it will hold the gasket and nothing on the EGR tube to hold it either.

Anyone have any ideas?

I would appreciate the help to avoid a 750.00 repair bill...

BCC

Samoan Tsunami
02-28-2012, 12:00 PM
the only tip i have for this gasket, is before the upper intake manifold is bolted to the lower intake manifold, you have to position the EGR tube inside the intake manifold.

the tube on its own is very hard to position/bend to do it after its mounted.

unless damage has already occured from the hot gases, there really isnt anything to hold it in place. its really a press fit kinda deal.

it may take a few times to get it seated right, but once it is, then just bolt the upper down to the lower.

albert89
03-17-2012, 09:43 PM
I just did a spark plug change myself and i had (or am having the same issue) i bought the little blue gasket from the dealer (cost me $8 freakin dollars, prettty ridiculous for that tiny thing) but hopefully when i put it back in it wont get sucked into the ingine as you stated i wouldnt want a bunch of those lost somewhere in my engine

BroncoBcc
03-19-2012, 10:22 AM
My mechanic ordered the new upper air intake manifold and brought it into the shop. we both looked at it, and it was identical to what I already had. So he followed the advice above and removed the EGR from the block, installed it in the manifold, then bolted it to the block.

We also added a nice little bead of RTV106 hi temp sealant!

No problems so far!