2012 Uconnect 8.4N Not Displaying Album Artwork [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: 2012 Uconnect 8.4N Not Displaying Album Artwork

Intrepidusa
11-24-2011, 01:19 PM
If you got to this post then you might have the same challenge as I am having. I use the SD Card slot for tunes and have a good library all with Album Art either from Gracenote or downloaded and sized correctly. I get about 65-70% of the art to display properly, however, there are some that will just not display at all. I cannot find a common thread between the files that do not display properly so I thought to post here and see if anyone else has this same challenge. I read one post online through extensive searching that pulling power completely for a couple of minutes then reconnecting solved this for one poster, but I just dont see that as the be all answer to this. I use an iPhone 4 as well, just as an iPod with no SIM card, in the car and all the artwork appears correctly through the phone with the same catalog of songs.

I have thought that maybe there is a specific file structure that must be adhered to in order fo rthis to work if the artwork is downloaded versus found through Gracenote, but not the case as I have one song that I downlaoded the artwork and it works yet another does not...the strangest thing I have seen. Anyone with any insight on this is greatly appreciated.

Davejb
11-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Mine does the same thing, haven't found a solution yet.

Intrepidusa
11-27-2011, 10:14 AM
I am trying everything with file structure on the SD Card, moving directories, copying artwork to different directories, etc. Still no luck and it appears to always be the same songs missing the artwork. I did find that even songs that have Gracenote artwork are not showing. There must be some type of Sync issue with artwork. I am going to call the Uconnect support number on their website and see what they say and if they have any suggestions. This has to work properly or it is not a true value proposition as I dont want to have an iPhone connected all the time for this as the SD Card is a great option for tunes, well if it worked that is.

catmdave
11-28-2011, 08:31 PM
I am having the exact same issue with my iPod & iPhone 4 in my 2012 R/T . I also oly get about 75% of the art to show up. This even happens on brand new albums down loaded from iTunes. I have edited my entire files removing old art replacing wih new art.... Still No luck.

If anyone Finds a solution please let mr know!

buysellny
11-28-2011, 10:22 PM
I have been dealing with that for weeks.. Its how the folder artwork is tagged in the file.. The problem is tags.. It sucks.. I did get all my slayer albums to display however.. You will NEVER fix it so give up now.. I dont work and I spent two straight weeks trying to fix SD card files.. MP3tag.. I used others to no avail.. I use amazon ICLOUD which is flawless BUT its blutooth and displays teh art on my phone

Intrepidusa
11-29-2011, 05:06 PM
I have been dealing with that for weeks.. Its how the folder artwork is tagged in the file.. The problem is tags.. It sucks.. I did get all my slayer albums to display however.. You will NEVER fix it so give up now.. I dont work and I spent two straight weeks trying to fix SD card files.. MP3tag.. I used others to no avail.. I use amazon ICLOUD which is flawless BUT its blutooth and displays teh art on my phone

Can you at least tell me where the tags are that you modified to get some things to work? I still think it is in the Gracenote Database (lack of artwork in the update that is loaded in the device itself) that is the problem but I have not been able to call them yet. I got one to work by changing the name of the album to a different name after long searches on the net, it was the Metallica album "Metallica" also known as "The Black Album" and after about 5 tries I just typed in "Metallica Metallica" and sure enough it worked and gave me the image! I have heard that there are data corruption issues and just basically WRONG data in the Gracenote Database so I tried it all. If you can let me know how you fixed your Slayer albums with MP3 Tags I will see if there is something more that can be done to resolve this at least for the users here. Thanks! :beerchug:

buysellny
11-29-2011, 07:50 PM
I gave up bud... I used a free program called MP3tag.. http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ It does more then anything I think BUT some will not load no matter what.. For instance, I have Lady GaGa download from amazon and wont load art no matter what.. I like her hot ass on that bike man lol.. That said don't kill yourself you will waste months trying to get it right..

I just gave up.. as long as I can blast slayer and look at album art at 135mph Im all set haha

The best is trying to make playlists.. awful on SD card..

Intrepidusa
12-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Well, i opened a case with Chrysler Uconnect Support and the response was disappointing to say the least. They said "the issue must lie within the Gracenote database and there are no current updates available so there is nothing we can do". Are they kidding me? What kind of customer service is that?

On a slightly positive note I got a personal response to an email I sent to someone on another board I found and they wrote me back that you need to make sure every bit of information is 100% accurate including track numbers, date, etc. or it will error out and not display the art. Going to try that and see what happens.

buysellny
12-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Well, i opened a case with Chrysler Uconnect Support and the response was disappointing to say the least. They said "the issue must lie within the Gracenote database and there are no current updates available so there is nothing we can do". Are they kidding me? What kind of customer service is that?

On a slightly positive note I got a personal response to an email I sent to someone on another board I found and they wrote me back that you need to make sure every bit of information is 100% accurate including track numbers, date, etc. or it will error out and not display the art. Going to try that and see what happens.

the problem has nothing to do with your system. What happens is people using Apple and windows and Phones and cars.. etc.. the files can become corrupted.. The megabytes in a windows folder will change if you have located the correct Album Cover for the songs you have. Most of the issues lie in that fact that Limewire hacked songs are part of your database uploaded from?? Who?? I was able to slowly correct one album at a time using Mp3tag.. But for the life of me I cannot get others to work..

Intrepidusa
12-07-2011, 08:34 PM
the problem has nothing to do with your system. What happens is people using Apple and windows and Phones and cars.. etc.. the files can become corrupted.. The megabytes in a windows folder will change if you have located the correct Album Cover for the songs you have. Most of the issues lie in that fact that Limewire hacked songs are part of your database uploaded from?? Who?? I was able to slowly correct one album at a time using Mp3tag.. But for the life of me I cannot get others to work..

BUYSELLNY: I have to give my thanks to you and the folks at MP3Tag! After playing around for another hour changing all of the data on some songs to make sure they were accurate, and actually finding a site that queries Gracenote for lyrics and finding that the songs I was trying to work on (and their albums) did not exist on the site, I searched and downloaded MP3Tag to give it a shot...and I have successfully gotten all 183 tunes currently on my SD Card to display the artwork correctly! I even got the correct artwork to now display in iTunes as well. :beerchug: to you!!!

I used MP3Tag to edit the files as they sat in the directory where iTunes put them (.../My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music) then went back to iTunes and clicked on each one and selected "get album artwork" and they showed, then I transferred the full contents of the /iTunes Music directory to my SD Card and they worked! Yes the use of MP3Tag makes for a little work, but if you get good sources of album images and save them locally you can reuse them in the future.

I found that AC/DC is an artist that there is almost no artwork in Gracenote, not sure why that is but iTunes shows none of the artwork unless you import a CD of their music directly. My opinion now is that Gracenote officially SUCKS and the only good reason it is part of the 8.4n is that otherwise we would note be able to show artwork at all.

buysellny
12-09-2011, 03:52 PM
BUYSELLNY: I have to give my thanks to you and the folks at MP3Tag! After playing around for another hour changing all of the data on some songs to make sure they were accurate, and actually finding a site that queries Gracenote for lyrics and finding that the songs I was trying to work on (and their albums) did not exist on the site, I searched and downloaded MP3Tag to give it a shot...and I have successfully gotten all 183 tunes currently on my SD Card to display the artwork correctly! I even got the correct artwork to now display in iTunes as well. :beerchug: to you!!!

I used MP3Tag to edit the files as they sat in the directory where iTunes put them (.../My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music) then went back to iTunes and clicked on each one and selected "get album artwork" and they showed, then I transferred the full contents of the /iTunes Music directory to my SD Card and they worked! Yes the use of MP3Tag makes for a little work, but if you get good sources of album images and save them locally you can reuse them in the future.

I found that AC/DC is an artist that there is almost no artwork in Gracenote, not sure why that is but iTunes shows none of the artwork unless you import a CD of their music directly. My opinion now is that Gracenote officially SUCKS and the only good reason it is part of the 8.4n is that otherwise we would note be able to show artwork at all.

Thats great! Glad I could help.. I actually gave up on doing it.. Until I read what you did here I have some new ideas.. My music is across multiple plaatforms and so corrupted are the tags that I have to manually edit each song in some cases. I am going to see if there is an upgrade you can buy for MP3tag.. I dont work for them either lol.. The software works.

Jetfuel
12-11-2011, 07:57 PM
MP3tag is an awesome program. I found out that that album art I thought was there, wasn't. What I did discover trying to resolve this....and yes I'm banging my head on the dash was AAC/mp4 files do not use ID3 tags and album art is embedded on newer versions of iTunes. It seems older versions of iTunes routinely put album art into another folder.

Windows/PC computers do not support ID3 tags v2.4. So it has to be 2.3 or older. I zeroed the tags and rebuilt using iTunes and mp3tag to v2.3. In some cases I just converted mp3's to AAC files. As of now, the metadata is showing up but no album art yet. That took a while before the uconnect database was up to date. It's a hidden file in the flash drive.

At this time, I am just going to let the uconnect build its db with gracenote off. See if that works first. Gracenote was great at over writing the correct metadata. Like Magica (metal band) to Tina Turner!?!

Plan "B" will be dropping the ID3 tag to v2.2 or v2.1, since I believe they still support image files...aka album art. If that doesn't cut it, I'll turn gracenote back on and crank Tina Turner!!

MyFirstCopCar
04-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Hey, I just got my Charger, a 2012 8.4N, and it has the same issue.

I tried turning GraceNote off and got no AlbumArt whatsoever.

Is GraceNote a license/copy protection thing? Is there any hope of getting customized Album Art embedded in the mp3 to show up? I listen to a lot of old AltRock that is just plain not sold in stores for the past 10 years...no hope of getting on the GN DB!

Fallenhero
05-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Problem: Album artwork not showing from SD card
Solution: artwork not added to the mp3 / mp4 file. Using Itunes is the fastest and easiest way to complete this task.

Just select songs and drag a artwork picture to the album you want. This will then resize and add the picture to the file.

When making folders for music i do the following

Artist ---> Album ----> songs

Once i went through and added album art work to everything via Itunes it all comes up perfectly.

Another reason for miss shape artwork is the size. Try to stay in the 200 x 200 to 400 x 400 range.

Hope this helps. Cheers. :beer_yum:

MyFirstCopCar
05-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Just tried your suggestions....no luck.
(I had hopes, as I had originally dragged my entire "iTunes Music" folder onto the USB stick. Went to Artist/Album only.)

With GraceNotes on, mainstream songs, still available for sale, with correct Artist/Album metadata, show up from either SD or USB port.

With GraceNotes off, nothing at all.

All show fine in windows explorer, some art came from iTunes, some custom.

Sure you have the Uconnect 8.4, and you have GraceNotes off?

I would like a non-GN technique that works every time.

Fallenhero
05-02-2012, 06:55 AM
Man thats rough.

I just created individual folders then from Itunes dragged the music into the new folder and it worked for me.

I did notice some did not transfer when i was just moving my already existing music folder to my SD card, but when i drug them straight from itunes they did. Strange i know.

MyFirstCopCar
05-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Man thats rough.

I just created individual folders then from Itunes dragged the music into the new folder and it worked for me.

I did notice some did not transfer when i was just moving my already existing music folder to my SD card, but when i drug them straight from itunes they did. Strange i know.

Yikes! One folder at a time?

And do you know the answer to GraceNotes On or Off?

Click on the "AUDIO" menu, it is listed as "Clean up Music Files", second to the last menu choice.

Fallenhero
05-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Mine is turned on.

Yes its a pain in the ass to make individual folders but thats the only way i could get it to stay organized and show album art.

Think of it this way. If you do it once you wont have to ever do it again :p

Just do it a small bit at a time and you can knock it out over a few days depending on how much music you have.

MyFirstCopCar
05-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Well, I tried to get technical on MP3Tag, and tried everything:
200x200, 300x300, 400x400,500x500 in all versions of ID3 tag
2.4, 2.3, 2.3 ISO

None of them worked, but I am able to verify a few things:

Title comes from the Track File Name.
Artist/Album/Year etc. come from the ID3v2 tags, not the ID3v1 tags.
So it seemed there was some hope, but yet no luck.

FallenHero, have you actually seen "custom" artwork show up?
It is possible that you only listen to items on the GN database.

MyFirstCopCar
05-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Took another shot today, trying all color depths and PNG vs JPG.

Again, nothing comes through:
16M JPG, PNG
64k JPG, PNG
32k JPG, PNG
256 PNG
All of these attempts were made using v2.4 MP3Tags.

Tried with GN on and again with it off.

Would love to find the answer.

Manicmechanic
05-15-2012, 07:57 AM
When your looking for album artwork that doesn't exist in iTunes, I google the album, find the wikipedia for that album then copy and paste the artwork from wiki into itunes. You don't have to resize it, it will do it automaticaly. Got all the AC/DC artwork that way even the Austrailian versions of some of their albums.

cephalgia
03-12-2013, 12:44 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I've run in to the same issue, although I think I've found a solution.

Like mentioned before, using iTunes to find the album artwork and encode the tracks with id3 info works beautifully. I've noticed the artwork won't appear, however, if you don't have the album artist entered the same as the song artist. After saving the id3 data with the album art, I use Musicbee to import my iTunes music (also imports ratings and playlists). Then you can chose to sync with the USB or flash drive without having to drag and drop all files to make playlists. When I want to update my music I delete all the files in the musicbee folder in my music and reimport the updated data from iTunes. The process is quick and you get the benefits of Album art/id3 tagging from iTunes and the sorting to USB from Musicbee

cephalgia
03-12-2013, 04:10 AM
So an update: about 75% of album art is showing now. It seems the common thread for the missing art is the encoding. All my files that were Encoded with LAME3.97 are the ones not showing. I'm going to see if there's a way to remove the encoding or change it

brian1217
03-18-2013, 09:43 AM
I called Uconnect customer service, and this is the what the guy on the other line tld me:

All album art is gathered through Gracenote. Thus, if it's turned off, it won't show album art. If it's turned on, only music catalogged in Gracenote will display.

What a dumb idea Chrysler.
So, I happily wrote Uconnect the following:

I recently purchased a 2013 dodge dart, and there are a few problems with the radio.

The first is that everytime I connect my ipod, it has to "rebuild" a browser for it. I have a decent sized library and it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes before I can even search for music.

The second is when my ipod is on shuffle, it cuts off the last 3-5 seconds of each song, which isn't a problem, but can be annoying at times.

Last, When I connect my ipod to the car, my uconnect does not display album art. After googling for hours for a solution, and calling Uconnect customer support, i found that the reason why is because the music I have isn't in the Gracenote database, and therefore doesnt show album art.

I feel that this is a very unpractical solution considering that there will always be music that isn't known about, therefor Gracenote will never be able to have everything listed, since new music is put out every day. Not even pandora, spotify, or amazon will be able to have everything combined. If the car has the ability to read the .id3 tag info for album name, artist, year, genre, etc, why can't it read the embedded album art as well? Or rather yet why is the ability to display album art disabled unless its through gracenote only?

I realize that this is all very petty to gripe about. however it just gets upsetting when you buy a brand new vehicle, and things don't workthe way you want them too.

After doing alot of googling for an answer, I know that Chrysler Uconnect staff is aware of this issue. And after reading forums or people emailing uconnect about this, and reading the generic uconnect responses (the same one im sure ill recieve to this), im sure that this will not get me anywhere.

However, regardless, I am highly dissatisfied with not only my vehicle, but for the lack of care that Uconnect has for this problem, as shown by other uconnect owners on the internet and various forums.

This can be easily fixed with a simple update that bypasses gracenote and allows .id3 tag data.

If you google "uconnect album art", you will find pages and pages of posts on forums of everyone ripping their hair off for this reason. This is a minuscule problem like I mentioned before. However along with the other combined issues, and the fact this is 2013, and that this is a brand new car, makes this even being an issue, rediculious.

-----

Im sure my reply will be given a generic "STFU and cry somewhere else" response, however I will post it when I get it.

mblock66
03-18-2013, 10:15 AM
I actually wrote to Gracenote about it. They this is what I got back. Nothing but circles when you try to chase this down

Thanks for writing. Although Gracenote has been delivering solutions in the automotive market since 2001, each car company has a slightly different strategy for helping their customers and distributing database updates to their customers. The place to ask about service, technical manuals and the latest updates is at your local dealership.

The way this works is that the automaker has their own development department that built a product that's licensed to use our recognition technology. They have signed a contract with Gracenote so that we can provide them recognition technology and updates.

We are a business-to-business technology company. We then provide the car company updates at regular intervals according to their contract, and they distribute updates to their consumers (that would be you). Because I'm not familiar with the product in your vehicle, and don’t have any technical manuals, I'm at a disadvantage here.

If your own dealer is not helpful, the headquarters should be able to easily answer your questions. They would best know how the car manufacturer is providing information and updates for you - their customer.

MyFirstCopCar
03-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Wow, what a "Dodge"! :))

brian1217
03-19-2013, 07:50 AM
I called Uconnect customer service, and this is the what the guy on the other line tld me:

All album art is gathered through Gracenote. Thus, if it's turned off, it won't show album art. If it's turned on, only music catalogged in Gracenote will display.

What a dumb idea Chrysler.
So, I happily wrote Uconnect the following:

I recently purchased a 2013 dodge dart, and there are a few problems with the radio.

The first is that everytime I connect my ipod, it has to "rebuild" a browser for it. I have a decent sized library and it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes before I can even search for music.

The second is when my ipod is on shuffle, it cuts off the last 3-5 seconds of each song, which isn't a problem, but can be annoying at times.

Last, When I connect my ipod to the car, my uconnect does not display album art. After googling for hours for a solution, and calling Uconnect customer support, i found that the reason why is because the music I have isn't in the Gracenote database, and therefore doesnt show album art.

I feel that this is a very unpractical solution considering that there will always be music that isn't known about, therefor Gracenote will never be able to have everything listed, since new music is put out every day. Not even pandora, spotify, or amazon will be able to have everything combined. If the car has the ability to read the .id3 tag info for album name, artist, year, genre, etc, why can't it read the embedded album art as well? Or rather yet why is the ability to display album art disabled unless its through gracenote only?

I realize that this is all very petty to gripe about. however it just gets upsetting when you buy a brand new vehicle, and things don't workthe way you want them too.

After doing alot of googling for an answer, I know that Chrysler Uconnect staff is aware of this issue. And after reading forums or people emailing uconnect about this, and reading the generic uconnect responses (the same one im sure ill recieve to this), im sure that this will not get me anywhere.

However, regardless, I am highly dissatisfied with not only my vehicle, but for the lack of care that Uconnect has for this problem, as shown by other uconnect owners on the internet and various forums.

This can be easily fixed with a simple update that bypasses gracenote and allows .id3 tag data.

If you google "uconnect album art", you will find pages and pages of posts on forums of everyone ripping their hair off for this reason. This is a minuscule problem like I mentioned before. However along with the other combined issues, and the fact this is 2013, and that this is a brand new car, makes this even being an issue, rediculious.

-----

Im sure my reply will be given a generic "STFU and cry somewhere else" response, however I will post it when I get it.

And as promised, here is the response from UConnect:

Dear Brian:

Thank you for contacting the Dodge Customer Assistance Center.

The media center will display album art provided by the Gracenote data
base provided the file is able to provided the information the database
needs are met and available. The information that the Gracenote system
uses is based on the media tag which is provided when the file is
created/downloaded. We understand the concern you have about the system
rebuilding the file list. I have documented your concerns for further
review. Please check www.driveuconnect.com periodically for software
updates for your uConnect media center.

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Steve

Customer Service Representative
Dodge Customer Assistance Center

-- Is it just me, or does anyone else think that forcing people to use Gracenote if they want album art a little immature and rediculous? I feel like, fine, if they want to turn Gracenote on and use it's services, go a head. But dont PUNISH me by blocking tag data if i turn Gracenote off.

mblock66
03-19-2013, 07:57 AM
Im with you. Before I bought my car I learned all about the SD card slot and that it displayed info on the screen. I am sort of a music junkie and have over a terabite of it on an external drive at home.

I spend literally a week of almost non stop personal time when I got home from work each night going through every single album / song to properly tag it and save the artwork to the file itself. Only to find out that all of the work was a complete waste of time due to this gracenote crap. What I don't get is if you are in the buisness of providing a database of album are like Gracenote is, why does it suck so bad? Like i get if you are missing some obscure metal or indie band, but when you are missing art for like Tom Petty or Metallica there is NO EXCUSE for that. How they are in business is beyond me.

brian1217
03-19-2013, 08:12 AM
Im with you. Before I bought my car I learned all about the SD card slot and that it displayed info on the screen. I am sort of a music junkie and have over a terabite of it on an external drive at home.

I spend literally a week of almost non stop personal time when I got home from work each night going through every single album / song to properly tag it and save the artwork to the file itself. Only to find out that all of the work was a complete waste of time due to this gracenote crap. What I don't get is if you are in the buisness of providing a database of album are like Gracenote is, why does it suck so bad? Like i get if you are missing some obscure metal or indie band, but when you are missing art for like Tom Petty or Metallica there is NO EXCUSE for that. How they are in business is beyond me.

I agree. But again, i just feel like those who are into indie bands or metal (which is me in this case), shouldn't have to take a hit.

I am one of the biggiest audiophile, ocd, music nerds. Ive spent weeks going through all my music and making sure genre, track number, album years, EVERYTHING was perfect. That included countless hours of googling album art and saving and blah blah. just a pain. and none of it shows, and it pisses me off.

The fact that uconnect reads ALL tag data EXCEPT the album art is what really drives me mad tho. what an easy fix to an easy problem, but no, their forcing you to use gracenote, and thats stupid.

/rant.

mblock66
03-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Well that is me too. The majority of my music is Metal which is why I made sure I went through and made it all how I wanted it.

But the Uconnect doesn't read the tags correctly. For exacmple it uses the filename for the sond title instead of using the TAG's song tiltle. All of my filenames use an underscoring system like 01_Ssoilwork_-_2013_-_Title.mp3

So that is what shows for me when my songs play. I can never see the title of the actual song which is clean and corrected in the actual tag. But ALL of my music is done that way on purpose and I am not going to go update all of that, it would be next to impossible

brian1217
03-19-2013, 08:20 AM
what are you using to play your music? through an ipod? or sd card? Because im using my ipod through the usb port, and everything shows up perfect, and i know my song titles are all jacked up.

and what program did u use to edit the tags? if you did it in JUST itunes, itunes only shows the changes in the itunes library itself, it doesnt rewrite tag data.

mblock66
03-19-2013, 08:23 AM
I am using the SD card. I loaded 32 gigs onto it. No I used MedaiMonkey to edit all of the tag data. Then ran it through WindowsMedia Player to cross check, then lastly into itunes.

So I was extremely thorogh. I only have an ipod nano 2gb so its useless for me when there is a 32gig SD Slot.

brian1217
03-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Ah gotcha. yeah i've read problems about the sd card slot. My original intention was to try to buy like a 128gb sd card, but luckily i did research and readthat the uconnect only reads the first like 30gigs or soemthing.

MyFirstCopCar
03-19-2013, 04:40 PM
And don't you LOVE how DisGraceNote changes the name of your indie band into something else, to the point that, to use the voice feature, you have to learn new names for your favorite bands?

RoninJai
03-20-2013, 04:18 PM
What a complete epic fail this is. Quite frankly, whatever engineer or engineers were responsible for this should be flat-out fired for gross incompetence.

Quite honestly, I don't know if I'll ever buy another Dodge. It they FUBAR'd this small thing up that badly, which I use and am forced to deal with every day, what ELSE is wrong with the car that I don't know about?

SVRSRTCDN
03-20-2013, 05:24 PM
What a complete epic fail this is. Quite frankly, whatever engineer or engineers were responsible for this should be flat-out fired for gross incompetence.

Quite honestly, I don't know if I'll ever buy another Dodge. It they FUBAR'd this small thing up that badly, which I use and am forced to deal with every day, what ELSE is wrong with the car that I don't know about?

Friend bought a Buick Verano, same issues. Ford sync, well too many issues to list there.

So, guess you better ride a bicycle, then technology won't be and issue.

Yea, tech has a ways to go for sure!

rfinglet
04-13-2013, 08:32 AM
All of my music is purchased and downloaded from Amazon.com MP3 store. Since I am into Classic Rock all my music has been around for a long time. Don't understand why grace note gets album art 50% of the time. What a disappointment.

AdAgency
05-06-2013, 07:52 AM

I'm a 2013 Chrysler 300C owner and unfortunately, I'm having the same issues with the 8.4n Uconnect system.
Now most of you may or may not notice but album artwork DOES show up but only on tracks that date PRIOR to 2011. Any album that dates past APRIL 2011 probably won't show up on your system.

I purchase and download my music from iTunes and I have noticed that only my older albums will show up while newer ones flat out WILL NOT.

I can take my same iPod, put it into my wifes 2012 Ford Edge and EVERYTHING (even less popular indie, electronic) shows up on the screen.

Yes, it really sucks if you are as passionate as I am about your music. Unfortunately, owners of Chrysler 300's don't really seem to care because it's mostly older people like me in their 40's.

The only way you will probably see a resolve is if you make enough noise to be heard.

It's also a shame because I really love my car and what Chrysler/Dodge has been doing with their vehicles as of late. Only to have this minor detail ruin that experience.

rfinglet
05-06-2013, 08:09 AM
I am finding that album art seems to appear for complete original albums but where I see the issues is when your music is "The Best Of" or "Remastered" like many of the Pink Floyd albums.

AdAgency
05-06-2013, 08:16 AM
I am finding that album art seems to appear for complete original albums but where I see the issues is when your music is "The Best Of" or "Remastered" like many of the Pink Floyd albums.

I would be curious to know what year those albums came out with.

I don't know how true this is but someone (on the Internet) mentioned that Gracenote and Chrysler/Dodge had some sort of disagreement with licensing which is why nothing after April 2011 will show up on album artwork.
Again, how valid is this statement? I have zero proof that this is true or not so take it for face value.

I could care less what the real issue is - I just wish album artwork would show up on my 8.4n/RB5 like everyone else who is making a case in this forum.

rfinglet
05-06-2013, 09:17 AM
I would be curious to know what year those albums came out with.

I don't know how true this is but someone (on the Internet) mentioned that Gracenote and Chrysler/Dodge had some sort of disagreement with licensing which is why nothing after April 2011 will show up on album artwork.
Again, how valid is this statement? I have zero proof that this is true or not so take it for face value.

I could care less what the real issue is - I just wish album artwork would show up on my 8.4n/RB5 like everyone else who is making a case in this forum.

All of my music is before 2011 however I do have albums that I purchased that were reissued after 2011 and I have issues with album art in these cases. It is frustrating that it does not work consistently but as long as it plays I have got use to it.

oliver260776
09-30-2013, 06:18 AM
Hello guys,

Here it is the answer from the Customer Support Center. As you can see they probably don't want to spend anymore money on Gracenote DB updates but at least they should allow Uconnect software to get all the information including artwork directly from iPhone/Ipod. I am living in Europe so it is even harder for me to get something as there is no official Dodge dealer in Switzerland where I live.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Oliver:

Thank you for contacting the Dodge Customer Assistance Center regarding
your 2012 DODGE CHARGER R/T RWD FOUR DOOR SEDAN

Please accept our sincere apologies for the delayed response to your
email.

We strive to offer vehicles with options that appeal to a diverse
customer base, representing a wide range of expectations and tastes.
Although we certainly respect the opinions of all customers, our
products are designed to appeal to current customer preferences that
relate to styling, color and various options.

When the marketplace determines that an option offered is undesirable by
their unwillingness to select it, we no longer offer the option.

We regret to inform you that at this moment there is an insufficient
amount of orders to justify production of another version for Gracenotes
update.

We would like to take this opportunity to indicate to you that the
latest disc available through your local dealer for Gracenotes update is
PN #82211673AB (February 2009).

Your perspective is very important to us as it provides valuable
feedback on future product considerations and it will be made available
to our product planners for their review.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. If we can be of any
assistance in the future, please contact our Uconnect Customer Care
Department by telephone at 1-877-855-8400

Sincerely,

Alex

Customer Service Representative
Dodge Customer Assistance Center
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AdAgency
09-30-2013, 06:38 AM
Oliver, I'm glad to see that you wrote to Dodge about this.

If *EVERYBODY* voiced their concerns to Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep about this issue with the 8.4N Gracenote album artwork issue - they might actually do something about it.

They should if they want your future dollars. If they don't do anything about it, my next vehicle will be a Cadillac for their CUE system.

tanbam
09-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Ok, you all have convinced me to taking my hacking of this up a notch. I've got a spare RE2 unit and I've pulled the Gracenotes database out of it. It wasn't what I was looking for at the time, so I didn't pay much attention to it.

I'll get my interface jig working again and try to see if I can work out how to upgrade it based on the latest data available from other car manufacturers who seem to feel differently than Chrysler regarding this.

If I am able to work anything out, I'll let you all know.

Worst case is that you'll be able to upgrade the database to a '13 offering...

oliver260776
10-01-2013, 03:26 AM
Ok, you all have convinced me to taking my hacking of this up a notch. I've got a spare RE2 unit and I've pulled the Gracenotes database out of it. It wasn't what I was looking for at the time, so I didn't pay much attention to it.

I'll get my interface jig working again and try to see if I can work out how to upgrade it based on the latest data available from other car manufacturers who seem to feel differently than Chrysler regarding this.

If I am able to work anything out, I'll let you all know.

Worst case is that you'll be able to upgrade the database to a '13 offering...

I am willing to pay if the upgrade is gonna work ......... and I think there will be others too. Anyway hacking the unit is the only hope now.