Pros and cons of straight pipes and keeping the resonators [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Pros and cons of straight pipes and keeping the resonators

Sikwititrt
11-21-2011, 12:13 PM
What are the pros and cons of doing straight pipe and keeping the resonators on a 2011 charger rt and also would the check engine light come on ?

Thanks
Mike

Savajio
11-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Wow, that's very odd you asked cause I was about to ask the same question today.

I have an 06 R/T and my cousin has an 07 Daytona and he has a straight pipe with resonator set up and we were discussing it last night.

I wanted to know Pro/Con as well as his is not a daily driver and mine is. I currently don't have the money to spend 600-900 on new exhaust and he suggested this.

Said the sound is not crazy loud because resonators are still on and no drone at all. Only other mod he did to the exhaust was I believe Magnaflow polished steel tips over the stock tips.

Sikwititrt
11-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Mine is also a daily driver

lsale
11-21-2011, 01:53 PM
On your 2011 RT the resonators are on the tailpipes right before the fascia tips.
R&R those with straight pipe and it will be louder but worse you will have drone.
Better choice would be a Blastin' Bobs reso kit.

If you're talking about the mufflers, R&R them with straight pipe is common and gives a decent sound for some, no drone. Folks call it the brylcream mod.....

Sikwititrt
11-21-2011, 02:12 PM
What's r&r?

Sikwititrt
11-21-2011, 02:17 PM
In a little bit on a newb what is drone to?

Sikwititrt
11-21-2011, 04:23 PM
N/m I figured out what you were saying

Jonny
11-21-2011, 06:05 PM
It's called the brylcreem mod. It's been around awhile.

No drone, no check engine light, but it may get a little raspy.

I don't expect the 2011's to be much different as far as that goes...

Jaynapier
11-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Well, that'll be my first posting on this site since i'm enlisted... I've been a happy 2010 charger R/T owner since april 2010. After reading lots and lots of posting, I've decided to go brylcream to have a more meaner sound on my ride. I've kept the X in the tubing, removed the suitcase muffler and kept the OEM reso's. I liked the way it sound from the inside of the car while pressing that little pedal to the floor!!! Mean old school loud sound was what I hear behind the steering wheel... until a good friend of mine told me that the sound was horrible. WTF was he talking about! I had him ride my car from a dead start to around 75 mph on highway. From the outside, it sounded like raspy, metal like sound, which I didn't like. From inside the car, there's a little drone starting around 70 mph, which can be diminished by disabling MDS. I'm still viewing lots of videos on youtube about brands of exhaust to put on, but i'll have to hear one in person to be sure on which to put my hard earned money on!
Replacing reso's and exhaust tip could be the answers but I'm saving my dough for a better system. Hope it'll help you out! :yesnod:

Jonny
11-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Here's a 2010 R/T brylcreem. It's unedited, my apologies.

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45/jonnyqwest69/?action=view&current=Brylcreem-1.mp4

My favorite:

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45/jonnyqwest69/?action=viewĄt=Latestexhaust.mp4 (http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45/jonnyqwest69/?action=view&current=Latestexhaust.mp4)

Sikwititrt
11-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Would it void my warranty ?

lsale
11-22-2011, 07:06 AM
No. You can buy very nice catback kits directly from Mopar. It's all about personal preferences, sound, and costs. You can listen to several systems or mods on you tube and they will sound completely different in person. One of my personal favs are the Dynomax systems for quality and sound. Not to mention they're 1/2 the cost of those famous Corsas.

Sikwititrt
11-22-2011, 10:07 PM
I went to the muffler shop today and got the two front mufflers cut off and put straight pipes in its place and kept the resos and all I have to say about the final result is it sounds awesome

1CleanRT
11-23-2011, 05:20 AM
http://youtu.be/PCHNZbeTKuc

Cherry Bomb Vortex. I get compliments left and right.