: 2010 dodge charger sxt transmission question??

csull247
10-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Hello everyone I am new to this forum, Im actually doing this for a friend of mine. She just got a 2010 charger which she loves. but she asked about the transmission a awhile back, I guess she noticed when she was stopped at a light with it in gear and she eased off the brake it kinda skipped as it moved forward. i rode in it and noticed it to. its definitely coming from the transmission, the motor idles fine its just when creeping forward its not like a smooth go. its like the same rep but a split second apart like grab break grap. it doesnt seem to be slipping but maybe this is how dodge built these things. if anyone else experiences this please let me know. and also the car has 35,000 miles.

Jonny
10-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Good time to have the transmission fluid changed with a new filter and ATF+4 fluid, available at any parts store.

It's a good place to start.

370 HEMI
10-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Hello everyone I am new to this forum, Im actually doing this for a friend of mine. She just got a 2010 charger which she loves. but she asked about the transmission a awhile back, I guess she noticed when she was stopped at a light with it in gear and she eased off the brake it kinda skipped as it moved forward. i rode in it and noticed it to. its definitely coming from the transmission, the motor idles fine its just when creeping forward its not like a smooth go. its like the same rep but a split second apart like grab break grap. it doesnt seem to be slipping but maybe this is how dodge built these things. if anyone else experiences this please let me know. and also the car has 35,000 miles.

The 2010 Charger SXT has a 3.5L V6 with a 42RLE Transmission. This is a modifed transmission that came from the 42LE that was used since 1993 on the Dodge Intrepid. It was known by A-606. The A-606 was a derivation of the A-604 or 41TE.

These transmissions are very finicky. They need good clean fluid with lots of friction modifiers in it to work correctly. Since the Charger is such a large car with a lot of weight....3787lbs that year. This transmission runs hot and cooks the modifiers out causing the behavior and issues that noone likes in these trans. So it is important to change the fluid, but not to just any fluid.

We have designed the QuantumBlue 42RLE Custom Blended Transmission fluid to deal with the specific needs of this transmission. It contains 18% more friction modifiers in it and compounds to keep the trans from cooking out these modifiers that when not present will cause bump stops, jerking, eratic engagement (which is what you are describing) among other issues.

With our fluid, you will get a much better experience and protect it better too. :bigthumb:

Here is a recent post from another user with similar problems:

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148884

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

Jonny
10-18-2011, 06:30 PM
You could also try putting in a bit of friction modifier.

http://www.amazon.com/DODGE-LIMITED-POSITRAC-DIFFERENTIAL-ADDITIVE/dp/B005DSMBY2

Here's the link, and people that have done it;

http://www.lxforums.com/board/f325/fix-transmission-shudder-280474/

xkm121
10-18-2011, 08:52 PM
You could also try putting in a bit of friction modifier.

http://www.amazon.com/DODGE-LIMITED-POSITRAC-DIFFERENTIAL-ADDITIVE/dp/B005DSMBY2

Here's the link, and people that have done it;

http://www.lxforums.com/board/f325/fix-transmission-shudder-280474/

That's a good solution. Wish I saw this infomation earlier:rolleyes2:

370 HEMI
10-19-2011, 06:11 AM
That's a good solution. Wish I saw this infomation earlier:rolleyes2:

It is important to understand that the friction modifiers that are in transmission fluid are significantly different than the bottle of modifier that is suggested. Those modifiers are for differential clutches that are conical and all metal.

There are many additives that are marketed for transmissions but they are not miscible or meltable into the fluid correctly and very quickly can cause problems.

Dumping the wrong type of compounds into a unit like a transmission is a great way to cause it to fail. Some of these materials attack seals and delaminate the clutch pack material which end up in your filter.

Leave the chemistry to the chemists and tribologists.

You have the best combination of compounds in your transmission fluid already in your car. Much higher heat capability than ATF+4, proper increase of correct and safe friction modifiers that are very friendly to your seals and your clutch material. You felt the difference and you know how your car drives now. Don't let them pursuade you to do something you would regret! ;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

Jonny
10-19-2011, 03:07 PM
What Brian says is true, use ONLY what the manufacturer recommends, ATF+4 fluid.

Not ATF+3, not AFT +++++4+, but ATF+4 fluid.

There's a guy on lxforums that used some other, not recommended stuff in his Ram.... it didn't work, so he switched to ATF+4, problem solved.

...and people wonder why I have issues with Brian? Seriously, several people have used this successfully, and he makes it out like your transmission will fail if you do this.

This place is becoming more Z every day.

xkm121
10-19-2011, 06:02 PM
What Brian says is true, use ONLY what the manufacturer recommends, ATF+4 fluid.

Not ATF+3, not AFT +++++4+, but ATF+4 fluid.

There's a guy on lxforums that used some other, not recommended stuff in his Ram.... it didn't work, so he switched to ATF+4, problem solved.

...and people wonder why I have issues with Brian? Seriously, several people have used this successfully, and he makes it out like your transmission will fail if you do this.

This place is becoming more Z every day.

burkdadhemi? He told me not to use QB when I was doing my research.

Anyway right now the situation is my system is working better before the trans fluid change. There is not need for me to fake it. Either my case is an isolated case or burkdadhemi's case is an isolated case :confused:

To be honest, the S is still a good place. I was getting bombarded by the owner of 3g for recommending something else other than his cai. :banana:

xkm121
10-21-2011, 01:18 PM
And this is what happens if you add that mopar fluid to your trans:

ok, spoke WAAAAAAAY to freakin soon.

transmission is shot when i went to run a 5 minute errand at work. Got stuck on the side of the road, hear a loud whine sound when i give it any gas that is RPM dependant. barely stayed in gear, seems like things are just slipping around inside there now. limped back at 5mph and car will have to be towed this afternoon.

any ideas here people? limp mode kicked in each time and with low rpms just slipping away.

Jonny
10-21-2011, 02:32 PM
And this is what happens if you add that mopar fluid to your trans:
ok, spoke WAAAAAAAY to freakin soon.

transmission is shot when i went to run a 5 minute errand at work. Got stuck on the side of the road, hear a loud whine sound when i give it any gas that is RPM dependant. barely stayed in gear, seems like things are just slipping around inside there now. limped back at 5mph and car will have to be towed this afternoon.

any ideas here people? limp mode kicked in each time and with low rpms just slipping away.

You are stating that this transmission failed because he put in the Mopar friction modifier. Correct? Based on what evidence?

Were you involved in the tear down of his transmission?

I'm pretty sure he had an issue prior to adding this fluid. Your logic fails. :cowsmile:

added a bottle on Monday since i have had a shudder at lock-up for about 2 months now. At low throttle it would almost nibble at each gear change. I have reset the computer, pulled fuses, changed fluid and reloaded my tune with no success over the last few months.

after about 25-30 miles of driving i noticed the nibble was mostly gone. so i put a bunch more miles on it last night. Low speed shifts are now smooth and i notice right away because i have a Mopar TCM which locks up asap. that lil 4 ounce bottle so far has been a miracle. By the end of last night and through this morning it has been perfect again.

i owe ya a few beers next time i see ya Joel. Thanks for the heads up on this cheap fix.

timmer06
10-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Hello I have a new problem with my 2006 charger sxt, during acceleration I have a vibration and a weird noise coming from the what seems to be the right rear but not sure. Could it be a axle gears???? im not sure what to think wondering if any one can help me out before I take it to the dealership

Thank you

Jonny
10-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Hello I have a new problem with my 2006 charger sxt, during acceleration I have a vibration and a weird noise coming from the what seems to be the right rear but not sure. Could it be a axle gears???? im not sure what to think wondering if any one can help me out before I take it to the dealership

Thank you

Welcome to the forums!

You will be better served by creating your own thread in the http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

section of the forums.

csull247
11-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks for all posts, now I found mopar friction modifier on eBay but it says it's for rear differentials, could I put that in the tranny. It's a little bottle like you guys said. It seemed impossible to find, please let me know!!

Jonny
11-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks for all posts, now I found mopar friction modifier on eBay but it says it's for rear differentials, could I put that in the tranny. It's a little bottle like you guys said. It seemed impossible to find, please let me know!!

That's the stuff I was talking about. Some people have used it successfully to cure their shudder/slipping issues. Some people on this forum say different, it will destroy the transmission.

2010 with 35k miles is still covered under the 5 year 50k mile powertrain warranty.... I'd have the dealer fix it.

xkm121
11-26-2011, 12:52 AM
johny ruls!

xkm121
11-26-2011, 12:54 AM
jonny rules!

Jonny
11-26-2011, 09:53 AM
powertrain warrenty is not transferable to the 2nd owner. And i am sure the OP is the 2nd owner.

If mopar says dont use it tranny, then dont!

Go to your dealer and do a trans flush with mopar fluid. If you want you may also try BND fluid.

I changed my 08 SXT's trans fluid at 22500, I have put on roughly 1000 miles on it since then and it's been really good. :D

You should really check before passing on bad information.

Your 2008 LIFETIME powertrain warranty isn't transferable.

Our 2010 5year/50k mile powertrain warranty IS transferable.

Just what does this mean "If mopar says dont use it tranny, then dont!"?

I believe you are referring to where Chrysler/Dodge says only use approved fluids and no third party additives?

If you are saying that, and promoting BND/QB fluids in the same breath, you are being hypocritical. I'll leave it at that.

To the OP:

Have the car taken to a dealer and looked at under warranty!

xkm121
11-26-2011, 02:52 PM
jonny rules!

Shots
11-26-2011, 03:47 PM
All this fluid talk aside, did you ever stop to consider it may not be the transmission? You put that in the title and nobody ever considered any other possible causes for what you're feeling.
I also have a 2010 SXT in the same range of mileage as yours. The problem you described is exactly what my car does if I'm stopped and then try to creep forward. By creeping I mean foot still applying light pressure on the brake letting the car idle forward with some resistance of the brakes. The "pulse" on my car was caused by the brakes, that were still applied. These cars are notorious for warping rotors (all models not just one trim package or another). You've got pressure on the brakes so it will spin easier until it gets to the distorted area of the rotor then the pressure will be slightly greater causing a pulse as you ease forward. Mine has been looked at and it's fine, it's just the rotors. It sounds exactly like what you have going on. Take your foot completely off the brake and let it idle forward without any friction from the brake and you probably will have no pulse at all. My guess..... BRAKES. No need to panic about transmission and/or fluids, just replace the old tired stock rotors.

PS welcome to chargerformus

Jonny
11-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Johny i know you dont like bnd. As i post i also suggest the op to take the car to dealer. I didnt get money from bnd to promote them. I paid to use bnd fluid for my 42rle and i feel the difference. My recommendation is honest.

Just a kind advice. Dont take your hate of bnd into every single thread and post. If you can, please use a separate thread to tell us why you are so anti bnd. I will be happy to check out what you will say

Get your facts straight, man. People come here for advice.

I don't dislike BND, I dislike the sales method.

If BND can post against my suggestion in a thread, I feel I have the right to disagree in the same thread. Who are you to moderate and tell me what is right or wrong?

I often disagree with BND because anyone with a problem apparently needs to switch to his fluid, it seems to be his normal answer. All other products are inferior and will destroy your car. I have respect for Brian, respect for his products, disagree with the method... as have many others who have moved away from this forum.

I disagree with your assertion that BND fluids made a difference in your transmission. You have no way of knowing that which caused the change was due to a particular fluid, or that it would have been ANY different had you used plain old ATF+4, I can point to another thread that a member noticed a big difference changing fluid, using the MB ATF+4. Scientific experiments require a control.... sales pitches use no control in order to "prove" a superior product... something to be aware of. i.e. air filter "B" is better than "A" in tests... they fail to mention "A" is the original air filter with 40k hard dusty miles.

Hell, I notice a sound difference in any of my cars with just fresh oil. Can I say crap brand "A" is better because of that? Not with a clear conscience.

xkm121
11-26-2011, 05:32 PM
jonny rules!