Front wheel wobble at high speeds or when braking [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Front wheel wobble at high speeds or when braking

BlackBeautyCharger06
10-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Hey guys, noob on the forum here. Question for everyone on: wobbling affect when braking or moving at high speeds...

I took my car in thinking that the pads needed replacing (because of a loud squeal if you brake lightly), but they said the pads were fine and had plenty of use left in them before needing replacement. However, they did mention that my front tires looked like they had uneven tread and I might need an alignment.

I put that off for a couple of weeks, but since I got this car used in July, I have always noticed a wobble feeling in the steering wheel when braking from high speeds (60 mph or higher), which usually goes away after I slow down a bit. Then this last weekend, when driving down a really old highway, I noticed the same wobble at very high speeds (70 to 80 mph).

Is this a front-end alignment issue? If I have the same problem AFTER getting the alignment, what else could it be? Worn tie-rod maybe?

Let me know as soon as you can, tnx

sws4420
10-03-2011, 04:29 PM
I've brought my 06 R/T back a couple times for this issue. Under warranty they have done a couple alignments and replaced tie rod ends. I'm still not real happy with it and it's going back in two days.

BlackBeautyCharger06
10-03-2011, 08:38 PM
I've brought my 06 R/T back a couple times for this issue. Under warranty they have done a couple alignments and replaced tie rod ends. I'm still not real happy with it and it's going back in two days.

Tnx for the info...so I'm curious, you have the SAME wobble problem even after all of the alignment/tie rod ends? That's very interesting (and kinda disappointing). I would have thought putting some high-end shocks would solve the problem, I was half expecting to hear that.

You are lucky, I bought my used and I doubt they'll cover it, even with the extended warranty coverage I purchased with this hotrod. I guess so long as I'm going in a straight line and on a smooth highway, I'm okay.

hemiguy123
10-04-2011, 09:47 AM
If your tire isnt bad then it could be that you need to get you tires balanced. I have heard some people say that your brake lines could be airbound but I dont know about that. In my car the steering wheel shake a tiny bit when I brake but it happens on and off, I can figure out what it is either

BlackBeautyCharger06
10-04-2011, 10:40 AM
If your tire isnt bad then it could be that you need to get you tires balanced. I have heard some people say that your brake lines could be airbound but I dont know about that. In my car the steering wheel shake a tiny bit when I brake but it happens on and off, I can figure out what it is either

Yeah, on another forum (the Charger******), there's a huge thread about tied rods going bad within 15K to 40K miles...and the fixes aren't cheap, they recommend getting Moog replacement parts (not the standard factory ones) in those cases. I guess I could jack up the car, lock the wheel in one direction, then push on the wheel to see if it wobbles...if so, then I KNOW it's the dreaded tie rods.

The outer tie rod joints are fairly easy to replace, it's the inner ones that I'm not about to touch...

truplaya7272
10-04-2011, 11:20 AM
I had the same thing, when i got up to 70 it felt like my car was gonna fall apart it was wobbling and steering wheel shaking really bad. I took it in and had an alignment, balance and rotate and its smooth as glass now. Not sure which thing fixed it but for $105 it was def. worth it.

charger35v6
10-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Tension strut and tie rod. Mine did the same thing . Do you have the infamous clunk? If it is your tie rod, take your wheel off and just wiggle the tie rod up and down. If it moves or has play, its bad. And so will your tension struts. Probably can see light through the bushing where its tore. Look through the threads for the tie rod replacement. Ill try to look but I know I posted the part number and brand for a ball joint separator that worked great.