Waxing a car with decals - what's safe to use? [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Waxing a car with decals - what's safe to use?

ctopal
05-15-2011, 04:14 PM
I have a superbee with the black decals on it. I haven't waxed it yet and I'm concerned about getting wax on the decals and discoloring it. What options for products do I have to safely wax the car?

Thanks!

FLEX
05-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Use painters masking tape to protect the outer edges of the decals and don't wax them.

wadisr
05-15-2011, 05:05 PM
I wax around my decals...

Gunder Armour
05-15-2011, 05:08 PM
I use TurtleWax ICE on the decals/racing stripes. Really makes them pop! :banana:

Junkman2008
05-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Use painters masking tape to protect the outer edges of the decals and don't wax them.

http://pc-surgeon.net/images/cforum/smileys/iagree.gif http://pc-surgeon.net/images/cforum/smileys/iagree.gif http://pc-surgeon.net/images/cforum/smileys/iagree.gif http://pc-surgeon.net/images/cforum/smileys/iagree.gif

I use TurtleWax ICE on the decals/racing stripes. Really makes them pop! :banana:

Cars with matte stripes are not supposed to have shiny stripes unless they are painted on the car. Your stripes will deteriorate over time with you doing that.

OJMC
05-16-2011, 06:55 AM
Junkman, so don't put anything on them? I've got an 08 superbee and I've wondered as well.

Junkman2008
05-16-2011, 07:03 AM
Junkman, so don't put anything on them? I've got an 08 superbee and I've wondered as well.

This question gets asked on forums all the time, and the people who answer the question don't manufacture the stripes. I always tell folks to leave them alone. The best people to ask about maintaining these decals are the people who manufacture them. Here's another monkey wrench to throw into the equation. All vinyl stripes are NOT the same. Some are cheaply made and can be destroyed a lot easier than others. The vinyl stripe industry is just as complex as the detailing industry. There's professional grade stripes out there and there's also the OTC junk that's a lot cheaper in quality and lifespan. If you read the information on a quality stripe provider, you could learn a ton about what's out there.

Mask them off and leave them alone as Flex suggested. The last thing you want them to do is turn all white and chalky, just like I see at car shows all the time.

Kittswife
05-16-2011, 07:35 AM
I'm scared to attempt it...I have my detailer do it, he charges me $100 and tapes off all the decals....it's very time consuming and I don't have the patience. Turns out fabulous...you definitely don't want to get wax on the decals.....be careful.

daytona torRed
05-16-2011, 08:00 AM
This question has come around on here since the first daytonas and back then I decided not to wax my decals after almost 5 years mine are still "new" looking.

Although these factory daytona decals seem to be of high quailty but they are matte finish so you should never wax them if you start waxing them you will always have to wax them to keep the white swirls out and they will dry out and shrink,lift,fade or crack over time.

Gloss will last longer but may be a 3 or 5 year vinyl and they will go bad after a few years anyways.

A side note the sun beating on them in the summer is almost as bad as waxing,vinyl is a pain but it looks so good.

And dont use ArmorAll as it will clean them but it dries them out faster.

I just wash mine when I was the car no extra treatments.

1stDodge
05-16-2011, 08:03 AM
When we had stripes put on our car, the installer said to use a good quality vinyl protectant. So I'm using the VRT from Adam's, leaves them nice and clean looking, not greasy or shiny.

Gunder Armour
05-16-2011, 08:21 AM
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. The decals look fine with Turtlewax ICE which is not your typical wax you have to rub to get off. It dries flat black for the most part after I take a microfiber to it. With ICE, they still bubble up when rain hits it. The only thing that I noticed that "whitened" a part of the edge of the strip was the clay bar accidentally touching it. These stripes look the same as when I bought it. However, if they do go bad, that's fine. They are bound to chip away anyway from road debris. I was considering removing them at some point anyway.

Junkman2008
05-16-2011, 08:25 AM
... Although these factory daytona decals seem to be of high quailty but they are matte finish so you should never wax them if you start waxing them you will always have to wax them to keep the white swirls out and they will dry out and shrink,lift,fade or crack over time.

Bingo. Bingo. Bingo.

... And dont use ArmorAll as it will clean them but it dries them out faster.

I agree.

When we had stripes put on our car, the installer said to use a good quality vinyl protectant. So I'm using the VRT from Adam's, leaves them nice and clean looking, not greasy or shiny.

I did try Super VRT on some stripes that were all white and faded to see what would happen. It didn't make them shiny so that was a positive but I have no clue of the long term outcome. They did look a LOT better than they did before the Super VRT. Black with a small amount of luster.

Pogo
05-16-2011, 08:26 AM

I've used the ICE on mine for years too with no issues.

daytona torRed
05-16-2011, 09:15 AM
[QUOTE=Junkman2008
Cars with matte stripes are not supposed to have shiny stripes unless they are painted on the car. Your stripes will deteriorate over time with you doing that.[/QUOTE]

I agree if someone wants shiny stripe they should get gloss vinyl which is a different make up than a matte finish.

I plan on keeping my car for 15-20 years or more and it be in near mint condition including the vinyl and the absolute only way to ensure that is to not put anything on it.

You can replace the aftermarket vinyl any time but the OEM Daytona stickers will be harder to find.

Like I said 5 year vinyl will start breaking down after 5 years in southern summers.You may get longer living in a cooler climate.I do some vinyl work on the side so I'm a little heads up on the process(not a pro in the industry) but I know some stuff.

To the OP you should start a thread asking all 06 Daytona and Super Bee owners what they use and how thier vinyl is holding up.I'm interested in finding out myself.The reason I said 06 is because they are the oldest versions.

Gunder Armour
05-16-2011, 09:40 AM
I plan on keeping my car for 15-20 years or more and it be in near mint condition including the vinyl and the absolute only way to ensure that is to not put anything on it.

If you are planning to keep it for 15 years, do you plan on driving it daily? If so, you should expect the bumper to get messed up pretty bad. Mine is already chipping from rocks.

Kittswife
05-16-2011, 10:09 AM
I agree if someone wants shiny stripe they should get gloss vinyl which is a different make up than a matte finish.

You can replace the aftermarket vinyl any time but the OEM Daytona stickers will be harder to find.

Like I said 5 year vinyl will start breaking down after 5 years in southern summers.You may get longer living in a cooler climate.I do some vinyl work on the side so I'm a little heads up on the process(not a pro in the industry) but I know some stuff.

To the OP you should start a thread asking all 06 Daytona and Super Bee owners what they use and how thier vinyl is holding up.I'm interested in finding out myself.The reason I said 06 is because they are the oldest versions.

I've got an '06 GoMango Daytona and mine are near perfect still...very happy with how great it still looks. :) I tend to keep my cars in excess of 10 years so we shall see how well it holds up down the road...

daytona torRed
05-16-2011, 02:59 PM
If you are planning to keep it for 15 years, do you plan on driving it daily? If so, you should expect the bumper to get messed up pretty bad. Mine is already chipping from rocks.

I'm fortunate that I can pick the days I drive my car so it's not a true daily driver but i drive it on the sunny days which in Tenn.thats most of the summer.As for the chips in the bumper they say rock blockers(or whatever other brand) helps with keeping the chips out.I've thought about puting them on my car.My vinyl is all up where no rock usaully travel but I can see how yours could get hit.Those short pieces should be easy to replace tho.

I've read where alot of ppl use the ICE on thier vinyl,I just cant tell some one its safe to use for a long time.

If I remember right the silicone products dry out the vinyl faster like ArmorAll.

Junkman2008
05-16-2011, 03:11 PM
If I remember right the silicone products dry out the vinyl faster like ArmorAll.

Which is why I cringe when I see people post that. Some people are still hopelessly plugged into the Matrix. You just have to wait until they are ready to be freed.

daytona torRed
05-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Which is why I cringe when I see people post that. Some people are still hopelessly plugged into the Matrix. You just have to wait until they are ready to be freed.

:bigthumb::bigthumb:

ctopal
05-17-2011, 07:41 AM
Wow - thanks for all the help. I've got the matte stickers and will be holding onto this car for a long time to come. I guess I'll suck it up and tape 'em.

Nilsson
05-18-2011, 11:55 AM
I dont wax them either (dont know the previus owner), but mine have been grey. Is there possible to get them black again, or is it to late?
//nilsson

Gunder Armour
05-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Show us the hard evidence that synthetic polishes are drying out the decals faster than normal. I feel more comfortable protecting it with something vs. nothing, thank you.

whtisthmtrx
07-30-2011, 02:30 PM
I know most of you are referring to the matte decals on your daytonas, but in case anybody has aftermarket glossy vinyls I found a product that works. Auto Trim Design (the company I got my vinyls from) recommends a product called Rod & Custom Show Gloss Creme. It's great for glossy vinyls, but is not meant for use on matte decals. You can check out Auto Trim Design's tech bulletin here:
http://www.autotrimdesign.com/Shopping%20Pages/Product%20Information/Technical%20Bulletins/Technical%20Bulletin-Graphics%201-Waxes.pdf

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

PlumCrazy1008
07-30-2011, 05:45 PM

x2. I don't even wax CLOSE to the stripes leaving an inch or so around them isn't going so bad - it seems that area gets wax on it whenever wiping off the wax since there's no line around the decals where the water doesn't bead.

BOSChargerRT
07-30-2011, 06:26 PM
You can wax to the edge, not touching the vinyl or as mentioned, lightly tape the down the vinyl edges. You don't need high end tape, standard painters masking tape will do fine, less adhesion the better.
I just wax to the edge, but I'm used to doing it. Also, I've been using 303 product for sometime now and have always loved the deep result. You just need to wipe it again to even it out. Since going to all Quantum Blue, I've been using there vinyl protector and go to 303 when I run out. I'm sure Adams got some great stuff as well.
Important, never shine your vinyl in the hot sun. You'll damage it.