ESP/ABS light and slippery/traction light [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: ESP/ABS light and slippery/traction light

rmccullors
04-24-2011, 10:09 AM
can some one please help me. I have an 07 3.5L dodge charger. the esp/abs and traction light comes on every once in a while. I took it dodge they charged me $117.00 to test my car and couldnt tell me why those light were coming on. They tried sayin my alternator was giving out low voltage which cause all the lights to come on, then they tried saying i need new rotars and brakes. I took it to another place to get it tested and was told my alternator was fine as well as my brakes and rotars. can some one please help me????

Jonny
04-24-2011, 10:28 AM
First thing I would try is synchronizing the ESP.

With the car stopped and running with the transmission in "Park", turn the wheels all the way to the left, then all the way to the right.

Shots
04-24-2011, 10:31 AM
This may be a dumb question, but were you driving when it came on? If I understand it correctly, the light will blink when the ESP is doing its thing (or stay solid if you deactivate it). So if you were driving in some loose stone, snow, water, etc it may just be that the system was working and letting you know it.

ga charger
04-24-2011, 10:36 AM
This may be a dumb question, but were you driving when it came on? If I understand it correctly, the light will blink when the ESP is doing its thing (or stay solid if you deactivate it). So if you were driving in some loose stone, snow, water, etc it may just be that the system was working and letting you know it.

x2 it's supposed to come on when it senses's a loss of traction. Now if it just stayed on all the time there would be a problem.

Jonny
04-24-2011, 11:59 AM
The only reason for the ESP BAS light to come on with the exception of starting the car (diagnostics) is to indicate a fault in the system, the traction control light (Mr. Squiggles) comes on the indicate the system is functioning, and doing it's best to maintain traction in a proper line.

Having both lights on means a malfunction.

mnunes
04-24-2011, 12:04 PM
If you're stopped with your foot on the brake for several minutes (say, in a drive-thru or at a R/R crossing) it can trigger an ESP/BAS fault. It has to be something like 5 minutes straight. Cycling the ignition off/on will clear the fault.

rmccullors
04-24-2011, 01:15 PM
thank you guys for all your responses. but the lights comes on and maybe after driving for 10 min they go off and sometimes come back on. sometimes there is a vibration/ slippage when i hit the brakes. I been having this problem for about a month and no one(dodge, tire kingdom, other repair shops) seems to not know whats wrong.

thanks.

R/T Beast
04-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Same thing happened to our R/T a few weeks ago, do as Jonny stated above, should cure your problem, it did ours. Be sure to hit the bump stops in each direction.

~Mark

Shots
04-24-2011, 09:27 PM
The only reason for the ESP BAS light to come on with the exception of starting the car (diagnostics) is to indicate a fault in the system, the traction control light (Mr. Squiggles) comes on the indicate the system is functioning, and doing it's best to maintain traction in a proper line.

Having both lights on means a malfunction.

Oh, I see. I thought the light the OP was referring to was the "Mr. Squiggles". Ignore my post then, it doesn't apply here. :shhh::blush5:

blstrick55
05-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Did you ever find a fix for this? I think I'm having a similar issue.

sector 2
05-24-2011, 03:44 AM
I had to remove the wheels and torque down the center hub bolt....they were so loose, I could turn them w/ my bare hands. Apparently the sensors were not reading the rotation correctly.

Annette
05-19-2014, 11:18 AM
I have same problem esp/bas light is on also asb, and the light with the picture of a car with the curvy lines. (the light that is on when you slide.) It stays on and dont go off.

Surfcharger
05-19-2014, 12:27 PM
I have same problem esp/bas light is on also asb, and the light with the picture of a car with the curvy lines. (the light that is on when you slide.) It stays on and dont go off.

This happened to me. It's probably a wheel speed sensor. That's what it was for me on my 2010. I started a thread about mine when it happened. It might help answer your questions.

Look at post 12 and on, on this thread.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189698&highlight=

DodgeCares
05-20-2014, 07:00 AM

This is information provided to the dealers from STAR our technical support regarding the ESP, traction control and ABS lamp coming on. This may or may not address your issue but it could be of some assistance.

xrentalsxt
06-02-2014, 11:17 AM

Mine has started acting up again. All three lights on constantly. Does not throw any codes. You can feel the ABS working at slow speed especially if one were to perform a k-turn type maneuver. No affect at cruising speed.

I've already replaced the RR sensor 6 mos ago as it had been worn through the outer jacket. Time to pull the wheels and check all the associated parts.......

JR

Surfcharger
06-11-2014, 03:56 PM
Did you find the problem for it yet?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

srs7324
09-25-2014, 05:54 PM
:driving:
I just had the exact same issue happen to me.

Luckily it happened the day after a 1000 mile 4 day trip back to see the folks in VA.

We were 1 mile from our house in GA, and made a braking right turn into the local barbeque joint and the brakes stuttered and then the ESP / BAS / ABS lights came on and would not go off.

While I was waiting on the 2 rear sensors from the NAPA DC in Columbia SC, I changed the 2 front sensors and read every post I could find and tried every fix possible with no luck.

I got the 2 rears today, and installed them, cranked the engine the lights remained.

Pissed off I decided to drive to the bank, and low and behold they went off and have not come back on.

So for 13 bucks per part and a little trouble I was able to get mine fixed by replacing all 4 sensors.