Does horn always have to short-honk when locking using keyless entry? [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Does horn always have to short-honk when locking using keyless entry?

Blue Arrow Six
02-21-2011, 10:01 AM
I know that on many keyless entry systems, the horn honks if you lock the vehicle with a short, single press of the button, but you can also hold the button down to silently lock it with no horn.

My new 2011 Charger honks on both short press, as well as long press. Is this fixable?

Thanks!

Jonny
02-21-2011, 10:18 AM
It's usually adjustable through EVIC or sequential key fob buttons.

It's most likely in the manual...

Blue Arrow Six
02-22-2011, 08:31 AM
It's usually adjustable through EVIC or sequential key fob buttons. It's most likely in the manual...
Found the answer finally. It's done through the UConnect panel under "Settings".

Thanks!

drksyd
02-28-2011, 08:30 PM
I tried to find it but don't see an option to disable the chirp. Guess I need to look again.

drksyd
02-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Is mine somehow different from yours? I have the 8.4. This was like the 3rd time I looked for it. I looked at every single option in every category. Closest thing I see is to disable the lights from flashing when locking. Disabled that and of course it still chirps.

Blue Arrow Six
03-02-2011, 01:47 PM
No, I have the 4.3

Not sure where it would be on the 8.4, but I have to believe it's buried in the settings somewhere. You scrolled up and down in every category?

drksyd
03-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Yup, I looked at every possible option in each category.

DonK
03-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Hello drksyd,
According to the Owners Manual page 308 when FLASH HEADLIGHTS WITH LOCK,
".....this feature may be selected with or without the sound horn on lock feature
selected. To make your selection, press the Flash Headlights with Lock soft-key, select
On or Off followed by pressing the arrow back soft-key."

There must be an another option to turn the horn chirp on or off available before backing out of the flash headlights with lock mode.

I am awaiting delivery of my Blackberry R/T Max so I cannot tryout this feature. It was
ordered Jan 19th, completed build Feb 24th and is supposedly in storage awaiting
shipment. How do you like the color of your R/T? I have not seen a Blackberry colored
Charger yet.

In case you do not have a hard copy of the manual, are you aware that you can get a free hard copy of all the manuals for the first registered retail owner of the vehicle as
referenced in the USER GUIDE page 88 by calling 1-800-423-6343?

DonK
2006 Black Magnum R/T
Southern California

drksyd
03-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the info DonK. In the uconnect 8.4, there is an option to disable the lights from flashing but nothing for the horn. I'll try that number and hope they have the '11 manuals. It's their new green policy to get away from paper, so now it's on a DVD. Problem I have is that the DVD doesn't work with my Windows 7 computer for some reason, the damn dvd drive in my Vista machine is not working, and something wrong with my XP machine where I can't install the latest version of Acrobat reader to read the disc.
I have pics in the 2011 discussion that shows the blackberry pretty well. I like the color but would have bought the car if it were redline, brilliant black or tungsten. They are all great colors.

drksyd
03-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Here's a video going through the options for the 8.4.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q127/drksydss/th_001.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q127/drksydss/?action=view&current=001.mp4)

DonK
03-03-2011, 02:50 PM
drksyd,
The manuals are available. If you call for the free hard copies you will probably
need your VIN handy.

You can also download the manuals from DODGE dot com. That is where I
got a set of manuals and printed them out and why I can quote from them.
The free download manuals are at dodge.com/en/owners/manuals.

Maybe the DVD owners manual will play on your NAV screen although I doubt it.
Don.

drksyd
03-03-2011, 03:27 PM
I called the number you posted earlier and ordered a set of manuals. I posted the vid so you could see that there is no option for the horn, or maybe I missed something. Maybe it is an option with the 8.4N but I haven't seen one myself. I'll look at the Dodge website and hopefully figure it out.

DonK
03-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Hello drksyd,
Still waiting on my RT/MAX Blackberry. Right now tracking it on the internet it has been
sitting on the railcar in Ohio for 3 days and is scheduled for dealer delivery on March 29.

Anyways, went to the dealership where I ordered the car and could not disable the
horn honk with the key fob on an R/T with the 8.4 screen (without nav).
Went to a car with the 8.4N screen and was able to turn off the horn honk on the Uconnect settings screen when using the key fob.
Wondering if they connected your car to the service computer (I think it is called StarScan) and turn on the no honk option. I remember that on the Gen One LXs StarScan could turn DRL (Daylight Running Lights) on or off...just a thought.
Next week is the Spring Festival with over 800 LXs registered and they are going to have
2011 300s, Chargers and Challengers available to drive with engineers from Chrysler/Dodge present. If the opportunity comes up, I'll ask if they can get info on
getting the horn honk delete applied to the 8.4 screen system.
Have been enjoying your experience, photos and videos of your car. Keep them coming.
DonK
06 Black Magnum R/T
Southern California

drksyd
03-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the info DonK. I'm not sure if Blue Arrow Six's 4.3 is a Nav unit or not but he had the option. I would think this feature would be available for all cars.
I did go to the dealer and one of the service advisors (I won't let him help me in the future) looked at it, didn't seem to even know how to navigate the EVIC, didn't see it and said "I don't know" and left. I also called Chrysler and once they heard Uconnect, they sent me to Uconnect to pair the phone and had no idea other than that.

Vito
03-19-2011, 12:04 AM
Why do you boys not like the Chirp ...

i love the chirp .....Beep(thats right b!tch thats mine .....and its locked ) ;)

drksyd
03-19-2011, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't mind if it were just a chirp but the horn is a bit loud. My MDX had a nice chirp if I pushed the button twice. Anyhow, here, people like to be more discreet I guess, you hardly hear confirmation beeps.

ChargerCharles
03-21-2011, 08:45 PM
That's a bummer b/c in my 2010 it's in the EVIC and was one of the first changes I made. Tell the dealer you're gonna buy a Mustang instead if they won't hook you up :)

drksyd
03-21-2011, 08:50 PM
That's a bummer b/c in my 2010 it's in the EVIC and was one of the first changes I made. Tell the dealer you're gonna buy a Mustang instead if they won't hook you up :)

If I could have gotten away with a 2 door, it probably would have been the Mustang. It's not a deal breaker though, a lot of features on the '11s and I know it can be fixed, just not sure how long it will take. We went to the sister dealership and one of the salesman there was a bit more knowledgeable and he's
looking into it for me.

ChargerCharles
03-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Be glad you didn't. I watched a guy in one last weekend consistently run in the 14's with a new 5.0 and he appeared to be launching well and hitting gears. They're turds.

I wouldn't rely on the sales guy. They rarely know their stuff. Go talk to someone in the service department.

drksyd
03-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Are you sure that guy didn't just slap on 5.0 badges on his V6? He's over a second off what he should be.

Trust me, this guy knew more than anyone else I've talked to at either dealership. I already went back to the dealership I got the car from and one of the service advisors looked at it, and said he didn't know and just walked away. I'll go back after a bit and talk to the other guy, he seemed like he would actually look into it.

R/T Squared
03-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Is this to access through the extended menu through the steering wheel?

drksyd
03-21-2011, 10:08 PM
No. For '11 the EVIC only has powertrain info and mileage, all the personal settings and options have been moved to the Uconnect. Within the Uconnect, you have access to all the settings available and even to operate the heated front seats. I should have an option in the door and locks to disable the horn but it isn't there.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q127/drksydss/Cars/2011%20Charger%20RT%20Plus/th_001-1.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q127/drksydss/Cars/2011%20Charger%20RT%20Plus/?action=view&current=001-1.mp4)