Turbocharger on a 2.7l [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Turbocharger on a 2.7l

catchmeifyoucan
01-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Has anyone done it on this forum? What is everyone’s thoughts? Lastly, in addition to the turbo kit what else would I have to do or will it work on a basically stock engine (my mods are in my signature)?
I assume STS offers the best turbo?

bluecar1968
01-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Not to my knowledge the 2.7 computer is less supported. But it can be done their is a used kit for sale that could be adapted to a v6 easily. But don't expect a lot it would set you back 2000 for the used kit & another 1500+ in extras & I wouldn't expect more than stock 5.7 power

Jonny
01-01-2011, 02:27 PM
I've heard the 2.7 isn't built strong enough. The lack of PCM support would cross it off the list for me.

It would probably be less to install a 3.5L and have that blown.... either way, you are putting in a lot of money to do it.

ChicagoSRT8
01-01-2011, 02:32 PM
ur better off with an R/T or SRT. My opinion.
With a turbo kit you might see 50-75hp increase and then there's a good chance your engine can go bye bye.

R/T Beast
01-01-2011, 02:32 PM
If your serious, I would look into a Supercharger vs a turbo.

You'd only be looking at around a 30HP increase maybe 40 at a safe 4PSI boost.

PM sent.

ga charger
01-01-2011, 03:06 PM
There is a supercharger kit available for 2.7 (tk or thomas knight kit) great hp lot's of gain. Try moparsupercenter.com. You can see some on youtube.

bluecar1968
01-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Dollar for dollar better to just trade up

R/T Beast
01-01-2011, 03:19 PM
There is a supercharger kit available for 2.7 (tk or thomas knight kit) great hp lot's of gain. Try moparsupercenter.com. You can see some on youtube.

Yep, thats what the above was in reference to, we're Distributors of TK SC's for the Avengers.

catchmeifyoucan
01-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. Sounds like it may not be too safe to tubro or supercharge it.

R/T Beast
01-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. Sounds like it may not be too safe to tubro or supercharge it.

PM replied to. Let us know if your still interested.

catchmeifyoucan
01-01-2011, 04:29 PM
It would probably be less to install a 3.5L
Would i have to swap out the computer, trans, suspension, etc.

SKULLBOY
01-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Has anyone done it on this forum? What is everyone’s thoughts? Lastly, in addition to the turbo kit what else would I have to do or will it work on a basically stock engine (my mods are in my signature)?
I assume STS offers the best turbo?

I used to own one of the first Modern Muscle supercharged 3.5L V6s.............If I knew what I knew before I started seeking more power from the V6 I would not have bothered..................You will end up spending LOTS of $$$$$$$$ trying to get stock 5.7L numbers..............

I wouldn't bother trying to turbo or S/C your 2.7L.............the internals are not as strong as the 3.5L and will not take a lot of boost..............Also there is virtually no tuning support for the 2.7L motor............You will also find that you will still be missing low end torque.............that is the biggest complaint with the V6s.............This is why I switched over to a Daytona Charger.......

As to supercharger kits, The only decent kit for the 3.5L that works as advertised, and offers tuning support is the Modern Muscle 10 psi kit................I was putting down in the area of 340 RWHP & 295 FT-LBs torque with the optional Water Meth injection..............

The Thomas Knight kit was mentioned, but I would personally stay away from it..............you can go over to the LX Forums and find people who have owned the TK kit and experienced problems, and did not get near the numbers the Modern Muscle kit gets, or the technical support.............they switched to the MM kit and were very pleased with the results............There is a fellow on the LX Forum (Clayman) who has the MM kit (and some other mods) and is putting down Mid to Low 13 sec. quarter mile times from his 3.5L V6.........I looked at both kits in my research and the MM kit won hands down............and there were no turbo kits available at that time..............

To add I have nothing to do with Modern muscle............I was just a very satisfied customer.......:rocker:

:beerchug:

Jonny
01-02-2011, 12:51 PM
You would be better off doing an engine swap if you have to keep your car...

A swap to the 5.7L or better seems to be the way to go...