Concerning Cold Start Noise(s) + Random Q's [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Concerning Cold Start Noise(s) + Random Q's

TheChargerNoob
12-30-2010, 01:57 AM
Hello gents,

I'm new to the forum -- actually, new to a car owners forum entirely. That said, it's probably obvious that I'm not much of a knowledge base when it comes such things, so hopefully I can get some insight from my time here.

I currently own a 2010 SXT that I purchased 3-4 months ago. It is my every day vehicle. I purchased it at 24,000 km, and it just broke 33,000 km a couple of days ago.

I am due for my second oil change shortly, and will be taking it back to the dealer, but I've noticed a few concerning things driving it in the cold Canadian winter.

On a cold start, the engine makes a very audible electronic 'whining' sound that goes away after a few seconds. In very cold weather, it also makes a loud air sucking noise that disappears once the engine is warmer. Straight off of a cold start, it idles at about 1500 RPM, and after 5-6 minutes will slowly reduces to 500-600. Is this normal ?

During my first oil change, the dealer suggested an air induction service. I didnt really know what that was when they said it so I waved it, went with an air filter replacement and decided I'd look it up. Turns out it has to do with cleaning the throttle body and may reduce idle noise, etc. I'm starting to think it's a good idea.

Also, are there also TSB's for rough idle on the 2010's ? I saw some posts for the previous years, but couldn't find any for this years.

Finally, any 30,000 kmish services I should maybe look at having done beyond the standard manual maintenance ? Common problems I should have addressed early on so they dont become a later issue ?

Trying to baby my new baby, just wish I was more of a mechanic :(.

USRWDV8
12-30-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm kind of in the same shoes. I used to do basic maintenance (when I was young, broke, and willing), but now I rely on the shops, and not only do I get fleeced, but routine maintenance isn't even done... :rolleyes2:

One member here mentioned that dealerships stretch service intervals to make the cars appear more reliable (spacing out oil changes, etc.), and I would tend to believe that. If you care about your vehicle, you should seek knowledge online, and then either do the work yourself or force the shops' hands. So I think you're on the right track.

Otherwise, I'm probably no more knowledgeable than you so I'll leave it to others to point you in the right direction. I'll just say that the steering pump can be noisy when cold (the manual even states so), but if the whine gets excessive, a flush and/or replacement with better fluid (see our vendors here for solutions) seem to help. I dunno if that's what you're hearing, though. Also, many people clean their throttle body for various reasons and it sounds like a good idea.

I've had my Charger for 5 months (it's @ 52K mi) and it's getting smoother and smoother. Seems that the previous owner did follow the normal service schedule, but "babying" the car doesn't hurt (an ounce of prevention and all)...
I'm not buying the "maintenance-free" myth at all. Machines need love too. :)

Suedec
12-30-2010, 03:12 PM
In the cold, my RT makes a slight squeel sound and when it gets warm it goes away. My sound I know is just cold belts.

The sucking sound, do you know if there is anythign obsructing the air filter or anything? Has the filters been changed, the O2 sensor loose or anything? If you have a waranty still it is worth having someone look at regardless.