Changing Transmission fluid [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Changing Transmission fluid

Darth Menace
11-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Hey guys. I bought a 2010 charger 2.7L in October. it currently has 45000km (about 27000miles) I am told transmission fluid changes are to take place about 30000miles. I'm making an order to Amsoil soon and am wanting to know some transmission fluid questions.

Is it really necessary to change it at 30,000miles or is that kind of bunk? Does the filter need to be done at the same time, etc?

I know transmissions are rearely completely emptied when doing the fluid change. What is the typical amount needed to doa tranny fluid change? I see the total capacity is 8.8 quarts (for a 4 speed auto) but what amount will i need

Jonny
11-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Service fill for the 42RLE is 4 quarts, according to the service manual.

The recommended service interval is 60,000 miles for a 2010.

Doing it at 30,000 isn't a bad idea. I would change the filter simply because you are in there... might as well.

I don't know about amsoil meeting ATF+4 specs... I'd stay with a recommended ATF+4fluid. The other option, if you really want to use amsoil, is doing a flush, you will need quite a bit more than the 8.8 quarts.... mixing two different fluids via flush, it will never be a total fluid change.

Measure what comes out, and replace the same amount. Collect it all in a clean oil change pan, then dump it in a measuring container such as an old 5 quart oil jug with measuring increments.

370 HEMI
11-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Hey guys. I bought a 2010 charger 2.7L in October. it currently has 45000km (about 27000miles) I am told transmission fluid changes are to take place about 30000miles. I'm making an order to Amsoil soon and am wanting to know some transmission fluid questions.

Is it really necessary to change it at 30,000miles or is that kind of bunk? Does the filter need to be done at the same time, etc?

I know transmissions are rearely completely emptied when doing the fluid change. What is the typical amount needed to doa tranny fluid change? I see the total capacity is 8.8 quarts (for a 4 speed auto) but what amount will i need

Remember that the 42RLE is a deriviative of the 42LE which came on the 300m, LHS and other LH family cars. 4= 4 forward speeds 2 = medium duty R = rear wheel drive L = longitudinal orientation to the front of the car E = Electronic control.

42RLE is a medium duty 41TE which is the front wheel drive light duty trans that Chrysler used to call the Ultra Drive.

It is imperative that you use the right fluids. ATF+4 that Chrysler makes is a little light on the friction modifiers especially for the rear wheel drive versions. Also the +4 designation is a semi-PAO synthetic fluid that is harder on the seals than what it really should be. 30k miles is really a good idea regardless of what the manual tells you. Amsoil and the others will give you a full PAO based fluid that also is rougher on the seals over time.

Obviously, we would love to make you a non PAO based QuantumBlue HP 42RLE custom blend that exceeds the ATF+4 and is designed to handle anything that even a W5A580 NAG1 5 speed can dish out.

We have a special this month that would bring you to $49.10 per gallon and we also do the filters for the 42RLE also.

Noone will ever give you a hard time for doing maintenance earlier than 60k on this trans!;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

Darth Menace
11-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Remember that the 42RLE is a deriviative of the 42LE which came on the 300m, LHS and other LH family cars. 4= 4 forward speeds 2 = medium duty R = rear wheel drive L = longitudinal orientation to the front of the car E = Electronic control.

42RLE is a medium duty 41TE which is the front wheel drive light duty trans that Chrysler used to call the Ultra Drive.

It is imperative that you use the right fluids. ATF+4 that Chrysler makes is a little light on the friction modifiers especially for the rear wheel drive versions. Also the +4 designation is a semi-PAO synthetic fluid that is harder on the seals than what it really should be. 30k miles is really a good idea regardless of what the manual tells you. Amsoil and the others will give you a full PAO based fluid that also is rougher on the seals over time.

Obviously, we would love to make you a non PAO based QuantumBlue HP 42RLE custom blend that exceeds the ATF+4 and is designed to handle anything that even a W5A580 NAG1 5 speed can dish out.

We have a special this month that would bring you to $49.10 per gallon and we also do the filters for the 42RLE also.

Noone will ever give you a hard time for doing maintenance earlier than 60k on this trans!;)

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

thanks for turning my thread into a walking advertisement (for the second time). This wasn't meant to be an Amsoil vs other brand thread as there are enough of those out there, but more of an information gathering thread

walken
11-29-2010, 11:06 AM
He's a site sponser, he has every right to turn your thread into an advertisement considering that it's relevent. I was turned on to Quantum blue oil because of Brian's post in a thread about oil changes.... you know when you watch TV and there are those things called 'ad breaks', well... guess what, those companies, they sponsor the TV channels... just like Brian sponsors this site...

Do yourself a favor and replace every single fluid in your car with BND automotive products. Because they are awesome.

Darth Menace
11-29-2010, 12:32 PM
He's a site sponser, he has every right to turn your thread into an advertisement considering that it's relevent. I was turned on to Quantum blue oil because of Brian's post in a thread about oil changes.... you know when you watch TV and there are those things called 'ad breaks', well... guess what, those companies, they sponsor the TV channels... just like Brian sponsors this site...

Do yourself a favor and replace every single fluid in your car with BND automotive products. Because they are awesome.

so because the word transmission fluid is said it means it's relevant. If i asked what kind to put in then it would be relevant. I know he's a site sponsor as I can tell by the icon. Go into the wheels section where they actually talk about "is this a good price for tires", Discount Tire isn't jumping into those threads, but even then it would make more sense then jumping into every thread possible about tires

"What size tires fit my car?" --"You should buy tires from discount tire" Now THAT is just as irrelevant as him commenting on his Selson Blue fluid when I ask "Is it really necessary to change it at 30,000miles or is that kind of bunk? Does the filter need to be done at the same time, etc?"

There is a different between an "ad break" and him sounding like an obnoxious infomercial.

370 HEMI
11-29-2010, 12:45 PM
so because the word transmission fluid is said it means it's relevant. If i asked what kind to put in then it would be relevant. I know he's a site sponsor as I can tell by the icon. Go into the wheels section where they actually talk about "is this a good price for tires", Discount Tire isn't jumping into those threads, but even then it would make more sense then jumping into every thread possible about tires

"What size tires fit my car?" --"You should buy tires from discount tire" Now THAT is just as irrelevant as him commenting on his Selson Blue fluid when I ask "Is it really necessary to change it at 30,000miles or is that kind of bunk? Does the filter need to be done at the same time, etc?"

There is a different between an "ad break" and him sounding like an obnoxious infomercial.

You asked about:

Change it with what?........fluids.......and replace the......filter......that filters the fluids! I returned with information that was very relevant to your question. Do you want to protect your transmission with what is going to do the best or just do something to do something?

You have a resident Tribologist and Chemist on staff here as a vendor and you call it basically a shameless plug? I post these things to help people understand what they have and how to protect their transmissions and........yes, make a little money in the process. These transmissions are not cheap and with the extra heat they are generating, it is important to be informed on what the......fluids......are doing to the inside. The seals get hard and crack with improper or cheaper fluids.

Do as you wish, it is your money, but as a vendor and a professional scientist, I would think you would at least consider our information.

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

Part Deux
11-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Thread edited and reopened.

from the forum rules
2. Be respectful of others: Personal attacks and insults will not be tolerated. If you don't agree with a post, focus your argument on that post, NOT the person who posted it. There is a common bond that brought each of us to this forum but, there is much diversity in age, race, gender, language, and location among our members, which will contribute to differing opinions. All opinions are welcome; disagreements and debates between members are expected on any forum, but we must insist that each member show respect when stating their opinion and respect other members' rights to their own opinions in return. Stalking, harassment or threats in posts will result in an immediate ban

rodneyiii
11-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Also the +4 designation is a semi-PAO synthetic fluid that is harder on the seals than what it really should be.
I've read this before in some of your other infoposts and was wondering why a vehicle manufacturer would purposely use a fluid that will damage the seals over time?

Camsdad
12-01-2010, 01:01 AM
I've read this before in some of your other infoposts and was wondering why a vehicle manufacturer would purposely use a fluid that will damage the seals over time

Manufacturers only care about profit margins. They will source from the least expensive vendors who can provide parts that will increase their bottom line. Look at our tie rod ends and pink stuck in park things. Once you are out of warranty your out of pocket. They want you to buy parts and want you to buy new cars. They could care less about using better trans fluid unless it leads to alot of manufacturer warranty issues or safety recalls. Remember the gunk issues with coolant used by the manufacturer? They hoped you wouldn't see the tsb until you were way out of warranty and had to pay to get the rad flushed and filled. If they really cared they would let every owner know about the tsb's while still in the warranty period. Thank god for forums like this one.

370 HEMI
12-01-2010, 05:00 AM
[QUOTE=rodneyiii;2130083]I've read this before in some of your other infoposts and was wondering why a vehicle manufacturer would purposely use a fluid that will damage the seals over time

Manufacturers only care about profit margins. They will source from the least expensive vendors who can provide parts that will increase their bottom line. Look at our tie rod ends and pink stuck in park things. Once you are out of warranty your out of pocket. They want you to buy parts and want you to buy new cars. They could care less about using better trans fluid unless it leads to alot of manufacturer warranty issues or safety recalls. Remember the gunk issues with coolant used by the manufacturer? They hoped you wouldn't see the tsb until you were way out of warranty and had to pay to get the rad flushed and filled. If they really cared they would let every owner know about the tsb's while still in the warranty period. Thank god for forums like this one.

You are completely correct!!

This is why the aftermarket exists. We manufacturers of various materials use our engineering and scientific backgrounds to review issues that we ourselves have identified and then have designed a solution around the initial problems.

If you are a regular guy/girl that drives to and from and really doesn't care, the car will function ok until after the warranty and then there is normal cost associated in repairing the problems caused by the "cheapness" of the manufacturer.

If however you are a person that desires high performance and knows that increased protection is necessary to maintain and enhance the performance and life of the vehicle, you pay a little more to protect it now, and save a heck of a lot of money later when others are whining and complaining.

It is for this reason and for these people that we make materials to protect our own investments and the investments of others.;)

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

Part Deux
12-01-2010, 07:52 AM

I'll disagree slightly, the manufacturers shoot for having a certain life expectancy out of all their components, typically 150,000 miles, and most certainly do not want to get caught with paying any warranty costs.

The gunk issue was caused by a change in manufacturing chemicals that were not approved by corporate engineering. The new chemicals reacted badly with the coolant.

Pink thingy, having designed plastic parts, I'd bet they ran into a processing problem from one of their suppliers. Remember, the time range that were seeing here was when several automotive plastic suppler companies were going bankrupt. This is just speculation on my part, the original company may have doing an out of the box processing trick the new company didn't know about.

Tie rod ends may have just been missed in testing. While we like to think this is all a science, some of it is still an art. There could have been several things leading to this issue, like a tolerance error, bad material chosen, bad material delivered, without an insiders insight, it's hard to say, but will add that no mfg wants to see a lot of negative publicity around their product.

All the OEM's are in business to make money. Primary responsibility of any corporation is to increase shareholder wealth. Ford recognized the importance of quality starting circa 2003 and look how long that has taken to turn things around. GM is making some efforts now. I'm hearing mixed messages out of Chrysler from my engineering contacts there.

BURTON
12-02-2010, 04:32 PM
I appreciate all the help I can get concerning ny 2010 Charger. Brain what do you think of this Royal Purple lubricant? How does it compare to your product? ace194128@yahoo.com

BURTON

Darth Menace
12-02-2010, 04:51 PM
My laptop with my maintenance schedule on it is currently down so I can't check. What is the manufacturers recommendation as to how often we replace tranny fluid/filter?

Jonny
12-02-2010, 06:28 PM
My laptop with my maintenance schedule on it is currently down so I can't check. What is the manufacturers recommendation as to how often we replace tranny fluid/filter?

100,000km / 60,000 miles If using for towing, taxi, dusty conditions...

200,000km / 120,000 miles.... Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter.

I plan on doing it before 60,000 miles, myself.

370 HEMI
12-02-2010, 08:15 PM
I appreciate all the help I can get concerning ny 2010 Charger. Brain what do you think of this Royal Purple lubricant? How does it compare to your product? ace194128@yahoo.com

BURTON

Burton,

The Royal Purple Lubricants are made from PAO base stock. It is the same as Mobil 1, NEO, Amsoil, Redline and others. The only differences are they play shell games with the type and amounts of additives .....as do the other lubricant companies. Royal Purple likes lower zinc and phosphorous and increases in Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2) and some boron.

Moly is like a bunch of very small Corell dinner plates that all float around and then get in between the small passages and are "slippery" the way a bunch of plates would be but over extended drain intervals, it shatters into more of a grinding powder in the oil which under high performance use is really not a good idea. They call this revolutionary technology "Synerlec" It is not new but has a fancy new name. We prefer to use higher Znddp, Phosphorous, and Magnesium in our oils. The trans fluids have 18% more friction modifiers in it than regular ATF+4. Much higher heat capability without cooking out the modifiers etc.

What we consider much more important is long term durability of the lubricant with more proven lubricating properties and less dependence on thinners and thickers oils.

We prefer to make lubricants that are designed for the specific application with knowledge of the component design and any internal flaws along with the modifications and horsepower/throughput so that the fluid dynamics are taken into consideration as well as calculations for heat generated. Our oils are not PAO based and are larger molecule structure yet still synthetic in performance.

When it has to perform and last, QuantumBlue has proven itself to protect and perform under all conditions.;)

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com