Belly Pan Removal (how to?) [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Belly Pan Removal (how to?)

Gunder Armour
11-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Recently (last month or so), and I don't know how, the belly pan (more to the rear) is hanging down off the ground about 5 inches. It seems the tabs came out of place and are now warped. I can see two screws on either side still holding it in place. I tried sliding it back up, but to no avail. I'll get pics later if necessary.

I want to completely remove this back section as a trip to the dealer will cost $100.

Is it as simple as unscrewing a few bolts? What size is to be used? Is this possible without a lift?

Would ramps work? :confused:

Gladiator
11-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Yes. You can do it without a lift. I can do it on my SRT which is lower than your car but I have long arms. (I'm 6'4".) Ramps will work. I've had my car up on those too. I want to say it's a metric size maybe 9mm. Just unscrew all the bolts you see. Can't remember how many but it's pretty self explanatory once you start.

Gunder Armour
11-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Yes. You can do it without a lift. I can do it on my SRT which is lower than your car but I have long arms. (I'm 6'4".) Ramps will work. I've had my car up on those too. I want to say it's a metric size maybe 9mm. Just unscrew all the bolts you see. Can't remember how many but it's pretty self explanatory once you start.

Thanks, bud! I think my arms should be long enough, lol.

GLHS837
11-09-2010, 03:41 PM
10mm is what it is. If its hanging in the rear, I dont know how that happened, unless you back over something, or some oil change place monkey got lazy. Its not tabs that hold it back there, but bolts, two of them.

Gunder Armour
11-09-2010, 03:59 PM
10mm is what it is. If its hanging in the rear, I dont know how that happened, unless you back over something, or some oil change place monkey got lazy. Its not tabs that hold it back there, but bolts, two of them.

Yeah, it's strange. I've tried to make it so it doesn't rub on the ground. Maybe a pot hole?

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee160/Gundy2007/DSC01706.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee160/Gundy2007/DSC01705.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee160/Gundy2007/DSC01704.jpg

GLHS837
11-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Heck, theres your problem, it doesnt go like that at all. The rear bolt holes are way back on the cross member. The panel sits flat, really.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=14709

rodneyiii
11-11-2010, 08:45 PM
The rear bolts are correct but the front of the panel isn't in the right place. It goes in the slots on either side of the front mounted skirt - one slot can be seen in the third photo. The belly pan has arrows molded into it showing where the 4 bolts go. You may need to remove the pan and reshape it so it will be flat. It looks like that bend has set into the plastic.

Scott
11-14-2010, 12:09 PM
the rear bolts are correct but the front of the panel isn't in the right place. It goes in the slots on either side of the front mounted skirt - one slot can be seen in the third photo. The belly pan has arrows molded into it showing where the 4 bolts go. You may need to remove the pan and reshape it so it will be flat. It looks like that bend has set into the plastic.

x 2!!!!

RAINMANyeh
11-14-2010, 07:21 PM
GLHS837 is right... it's 10mm.

GLHS837
11-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Got which end he had wrong wrong, but I got the bolt size right:) I replaced my anchor nuts with ones from the pick bins at Lowes:)

Gladiator
11-14-2010, 09:48 PM
WTF happened? That looks like spaghetti!!!

GLHS837
11-15-2010, 05:00 AM
Simple, really, now that I know it came off at the front. Someone got lazy replacing the shield after an oil change. So that instead of the joint overlapping front to back, so any obstacle is riddden over, the real panel is under the front, acting like a blade of a plane, and the first thing you scrape across rips it loose and now it hangs. So it gets stuffed back up in like you see.

Gunder Armour
11-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Yeah, it was probably laziness last time at oil change. It's off now. I don't think there's any real way of warping it back straight.

rodneyiii
11-18-2010, 07:39 PM
I don't think there's any real way of warping it back straight.
Try putting it in the bathtub with really hot water and reverse flex it until it cools down. The mounting bolts should hold it flat once you get in re-installed. Or buy a new one (p/n 4806074AH) - I got mine for about $25. The screws are #6508332AA.

GLHS837
11-19-2010, 05:32 AM
Try putting it in the bathtub with really hot water and reverse flex it until it cools down. The mounting bolts should hold it flat once you get in re-installed. Or buy a new one (p/n 4806074AH) - I got mine for about $25. The screws are #6508332AA.

Ya know, theres a reason wives generally think we are nuts, finding stuff like this doesnt help:)

Gladiator
11-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Remember the scene in the first Iron Man when the robots can't get the suit off and Pepper walks in and Tony says something like, "You've seen me doing way worse stuff." Insert me pulling a headlight out if the oven like a tray of cookies when the wife walked in. Not as funny in real life. :) Dude do NOT put your bellypan which has almost certainly impacted road kill into your wife's bathtub. I don't care if you pay 100% of the bills. You will be sleeping in the yard and trying to make a tent out of that bellypan. :D lol

Gladiator
11-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Oh and after I explained why I was cooking the lights all was well. It was just the initial shock. I don't see any good way of saying why you are giving the bellypan a spa day. :no: