Broke My Keyfob! [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Broke My Keyfob!

ericperrier
08-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Trying to replace the battery in an '08 keyfob, it wouldnt come out when you take the "door" off, so i took apart the whole thing, not knowing that once its apart, thats it! It split down the middle, which made it easier to get the battery out, I put the new one in, and now the entire frame will not stay together! Any recommendations other then going to the dealer?
:scratchhead:

NetRang3r
08-15-2010, 11:01 AM
you can buy empty keyfobs off of ebay, all you do is put the chip inside the new case and have the keyblank cut. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-DODGE-DURANGO-KEY-SHELL-REMOTE-HEAD-CASE-BUTTON-/280539090923?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2006%7CModel%3ACharger hope that helps

ericperrier
08-15-2010, 11:05 AM
even when i hold it all together, it wont lock/unlock/panic or open the trunk

NetRang3r
08-15-2010, 11:16 AM
not trying to be a d**k but did you put the batt in the right way? first time i changed mine i put the batt in backwards. the key chip is pretty tough IMO. so far i have jumped in a pool with it twice and broke the batt clip off and re-soldered it back on, still works fine.

NetRang3r
08-15-2010, 11:19 AM
just FYI you should be able start the car without battery power to the chip. my batt clip is currently broken (too lazy to fix) and it still works just fine. youll just have to lock your car from the inside and deal with the alarm going off everytime you stick the key in to unlock it.

ericperrier
08-15-2010, 11:20 AM
lol yeah the battery is in the right way,and i asked myself the same question, i was like "tell me im an idiot and put the battery in the wrong way..." but when i hold it all together tight it works, it just isnt suppost to come all the way apart i guess bc it wont stay together. all my other key opened that way, you pop em open, swithc batteries then pop em closed, but apparently this one is a lil different!

NetRang3r
08-15-2010, 11:23 AM
mine had a screw holding it together but once i took that out it just popped open, but if it works when you hold it together tight sounds like you just need a new case, maybe try taping it together real tight with some electrical tape, wont be pretty but you can still press the buttons cause the tape is thin. that should hold you over till you get a new key fob. BTW the dealer wants a arm and a leg for a new keyfob.

ericperrier
08-15-2010, 11:27 AM
is the keyfob under warrenty by any chance? I got my car in feb of this year...And the owner of the dealership is pretty close family friends of ours, so hopefully he can pull some strings

NetRang3r
08-15-2010, 11:32 AM
dont know if the key is covered, but good luck on getting it replaced.

WestCoastDan
08-18-2010, 06:20 PM
There was a "recall notice" sent to me about the 2008 keyfobs coming apart and losing the ingniton part off of your keyring.
I'll bet it could be covered under that same notice, since you never took it apart :wink2:
+++

hskr
08-18-2010, 07:41 PM
mine had a screw holding it together but once i took that out it just popped open, but if it works when you hold it together tight sounds like you just need a new case, maybe try taping it together real tight with some electrical tape, wont be pretty but you can still press the buttons cause the tape is thin. that should hold you over till you get a new key fob. BTW the dealer wants a arm and a leg for a new keyfob.
You can try to compare your 2006 one to the 2008 style Completely different.

OP Why did you think your battery needed replaced?

ericperrier
08-19-2010, 07:50 AM
The buttons would only work every now and then, but it still started the car. And then towards the end, it would only open the car it you were right next to it and pressed the unlock button til your fingfers bled pretty much lol so I figured it was time for a replacement.

hskr
08-19-2010, 05:42 PM
The buttons would only work every now and then, but it still started the car. And then towards the end, it would only open the car it you were right next to it and pressed the unlock button til your fingfers bled pretty much lol so I figured it was time for a replacement.

Did you try your spare key to see if it was the key and not the car? There are times when i have to be right up on my car to unlock the doors, but most of the time I can unlock it from across the parking lot. This car by far has the longest keyless entry range of any vehicle I have driven.

ericperrier
08-19-2010, 09:25 PM
yeah my spare works fine, thats what im using now bc i only have one, and a broken one, im going to order a keyfob off ebay, theyre 25 shipped, and i read the thread on how to program them.