: Someone Just Tried to Steal my Baby

josmul123
04-19-2010, 01:40 AM
On the north side of Chicago... I'm sitting here up late doing work, and I hear my car alarm going off. I grab my keys, head outside, and I see this:

http://www.updong.com/list/car_lock.jpg

Called the police, the officer tried to cite it as a collision. Finally convinced her it was a break-in attempt. Got my police report.

Now I'm worried. It appears as though the would-be thief stole the lock off my driver's side door. The car has a passive alarm, but I'm wondering... Is there anything electronic in that lock that could allow them to go make a key that'll actually start and keep my car running?

It's an '06 Charger R/T without performance package.

Thanks Guys... I hope it's still there in the morning. I taped it up and put a nice little note on it for them saying it had lo-jack and was being monitored via camera. I hope it'll deter them until morning since I literally have no other place to take this car.

FOST3RS CHARG3R
04-19-2010, 01:43 AM
damn man thats rough!!! i wouldnt sleep.. i lay in the back seat with a shotgun all night

josmul123
04-19-2010, 02:03 AM
Funny thing is... the car is paid off as of yesterday... And now I get to stay up all night wondering if someone's gonna make off with it.

carmodeler340
04-19-2010, 03:32 AM
Dude,that sucks big time.I'd be right there in the back seat also. You might want to look into putting in a kill switch.Good Luck and I hope they don't take off with your car.

GLHS837
04-19-2010, 04:11 AM
On the north side of Chicago... I'm sitting here up late doing work, and I hear my car alarm going off. I grab my keys, head outside, and I see this:

Called the police, the officer tried to cite it as a collision. Finally convinced her it was a break-in attempt. Got my police report.

Now I'm worried. It appears as though the would-be thief stole the lock off my driver's side door. The car has a passive alarm, but I'm wondering... Is there anything electronic in that lock that could allow them to go make a key that'll actually start and keep my car running?

It's an '06 Charger R/T without performance package.

Thanks Guys... I hope it's still there in the morning. I taped it up and put a nice little note on it for them saying it had lo-jack and was being monitored via camera. I hope it'll deter them until morning since I literally have no other place to take this car.

No, the lock is strictly mechanical. They might get in, but they wont drive away.

Grave.Digger
04-19-2010, 06:11 AM
So with that thing broke off does the door open right up? That makes my stomach turn looking at that just snapped right off, no scratches or chipped paint either.

josmul123
04-19-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm really not worried about someone stealing this unless they can get it on a tow truck. The thing does have a passive alarm. My big worry was that they stole the lock, took it somewhere, and that the lock had something in it that contains my RF key for getting around the passive alarm... Concerned that this was an attempt to get that piece so they could come back, shove a key in it, and drive away.

Glad to hear the lock itself only mechanical. Good thing there are only two locks on the entire car... So it shouldn't be too hard to demand they rekey it if he did in fact steal the lock.

Insurance company is going to take the claim under comprehensive (Thank God). Should cost me $100 to get fixed as long as the guy who started this doesn't come back with a tow truck between now and Wednesday.

What a pain in the ass. Last night was not a good night.

josmul123
04-19-2010, 08:48 AM
So with that thing broke off does the door open right up? That makes my stomach turn looking at that just snapped right off, no scratches or chipped paint either.

Yes. The door opens right up (if the car is unlocked). If the car isn't unlocked, you can just take your finger and push the lock up manually... Which makes the alarm go off, but the door will open. What it looks like from what I can tell by taking the pieces and matching them together is that he hit it with a hammer and chisel just under the lock to crack the plastic piece... Then he pried it up from behind that clip on the right side. No paint damage because he only ever had to touch the POS plastic door handle. Seriously, why is the door lock SEATED IN PLASTIC?

He then hit the door lock up, the alarm went off... He got spooked and ran away.

1MEANR/T
04-19-2010, 10:14 AM
:no:Thats just messed up they should be hunt down an beaten.:bash:

josmul123
04-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Trust me... If I had caught him in the act, my insurance company would also be replacing my window too because this guy's head would have been sent right through it post-haste.

The guy obviously didn't know what he was trying to steal. I guess I should be glad he was a rookie and not some pro with a tow truck.

Anguish
04-19-2010, 10:39 AM
No paint damage because he only ever had to touch the POS plastic door handle. Seriously, why is the door lock SEATED IN PLASTIC?.

You answered your own question. You can repair this cheap. If that had been metal, you'd have a warped door and paint work to do.

I feel your pain.

4DEATER
04-19-2010, 11:03 AM
The guy obviously didn't know what he was trying to steal. I guess I should be glad he was a rookie and not some pro with a tow truck.He knew enough to bust the lock to get at the lever to open it. My guess is he was just trying to get something from inside and not really interested in stealing the whole car. This sucks anyway. Sorry to hear this.

Part Deux
04-19-2010, 11:38 AM
don't need a tow truck, two seconds to bust the door lock, and nobody cares about alarms anyway, two more seconds to pop the car in neutral, and push or pull it away. There is not steering interlock.

Why plastic, because it's cheaper, better dimensional tolerances, won't rust or corrode, and it's lighter.

josmul123
04-19-2010, 12:44 PM
So, I just ran into a neighbor. He says he saw the whole thing going down.

Apparently it was two guys in a black Jeep Grand Cherokee. One got out, tried to get the door open, and they bolted when the alarm went off.

I guess audible alarms are good for deterring idiots after all.

josmul123
04-19-2010, 12:45 PM
don't need a tow truck, two seconds to bust the door lock, and nobody cares about alarms anyway, two more seconds to pop the car in neutral, and push or pull it away. There is not steering interlock.

Why plastic, because it's cheaper, better dimensional tolerances, won't rust or corrode, and it's lighter.

How exactly do you pop the car in neutral without turning the ignition on? The car locks itself into park.

Part Deux
04-19-2010, 03:22 PM
How exactly do you pop the car in neutral without turning the ignition on? The car locks itself into park.

it's in your manual, you pop out the tray and trip the lever. BUT, this is not a way to defeat the pink thingy breaking, which is another issue.

Steering wheel is not locked and can be turned without the key.

MauriSSio
04-19-2010, 04:23 PM
i doubt they were trying to steal your car. Maybe they were trying to break into it or just vandalizing it. Also, if someone steals your car, insurance should cover it so i wouldnt worry about it so much if i were you.

lovin' it
04-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Sorry to hear of this crap, I hope the thief gets caught.

YKW
04-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Can you say "Billet Technology" door handle plates !!!

There next everyone whats one product....

Franchize48
04-19-2010, 04:36 PM
on the north side of chicago... I'm sitting here up late doing work, and i hear my car alarm going off. I grab my keys, head outside, and i see this:

called the police, the officer tried to cite it as a collision. Finally convinced her it was a break-in attempt. Got my police report.

Now i'm worried. It appears as though the would-be thief stole the lock off my driver's side door. The car has a passive alarm, but i'm wondering... Is there anything electronic in that lock that could allow them to go make a key that'll actually start and keep my car running?

It's an '06 charger r/t without performance package.

Thanks guys... I hope it's still there in the morning. I taped it up and put a nice little note on it for them saying it had lo-jack and was being monitored via camera. I hope it'll deter them until morning since i literally have no other place to take this car.

man i am tired of these haters/fools that can't buy there own things so they gotta take or destroy our things!!!

shotgun05
04-19-2010, 04:44 PM
i have read all comments here and i've been thinking..... it is better to install a new normal alarm?? or just keep the silent one???

Anguish
04-19-2010, 06:00 PM
i have read all comments here and i've been thinking..... it is better to install a new normal alarm?? or just keep the silent one???

I dunno. Mine's audible but has a 1 mile range and transmits to my keyfob. The way I view it, audible alarms are about drawing attention to the intrusion. You want the person screwing with your car to wonder if anyone's watching. Most people ignore car alarms, but the thief can't count on being ignored. So, audible is good in that sense. Just don't make it too sensitive. False-alarms just annoy everyone.

I'm not sure what the benefit is with silent. Only you know about it. I suppose if your goal is to catch someone in the act and confront them - thereby endangering not only your property but yourself as well - then this is the right choice. Is your car bait or a valued asset?

You want the thief to leave as soon as possible. I'd say audible. Your current alarm probably can have a horn attached, without replacing the whole system.

By the way, usually "passive" means that the system arms itself after you close all the doors.

josmul123
04-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Got the car back today. $100 comp deductible... Apparently only a $139 repair in total. Keyhole still looks like it's been through a war... So I'm pushing them to replace the lock. I paid a $100 deductible, I deserve for this lock to look as good as it did before these punks punched it out.

They also scratched my paint up in the body shop, so I had to wait for them to fix that.

In all, $100 lighter and I'll never ignore a car alarm again... Just hope this asshat decides to just let my car be in the future. I'm pretty glad at this point that the audible alarm was there... Even if they could have just unhooked the horn first. It really spooked the guys.

MotorCity Muscle
04-21-2010, 09:30 PM
I dunno. Mine's audible but has a 1 mile range and transmits to my keyfob. The way I view it, audible alarms are about drawing attention to the intrusion. You want the person screwing with your car to wonder if anyone's watching. Most people ignore car alarms, but the thief can't count on being ignored. So, audible is good in that sense. Just don't make it too sensitive. False-alarms just annoy everyone.

I'm not sure what the benefit is with silent. Only you know about it. I suppose if your goal is to catch someone in the act and confront them - thereby endangering not only your property but yourself as well - then this is the right choice. Is your car bait or a valued asset?

You want the thief to leave as soon as possible. I'd say audible. Your current alarm probably can have a horn attached, without replacing the whole system.

By the way, usually "passive" means that the system arms itself after you close all the doors.

You want audible with a shock sensor. You want the thief to hear the alarm going off and wonder if anyone's going to notice.
Without the audible, this happens...

desertcharger
04-21-2010, 09:55 PM
That reminds me- I put the new wheels on last weekend- I need to put the wheel locks on.

This just sucks all the way around.

josmul123
01-26-2011, 03:57 PM
So, two updates since the last time I posted in this thread.

First off, a couple weeks ago, this:
http://updong.com/list/IMG_1260.JPG

... and this...
http://updong.com/list/IMG_1262.JPG

Nothing stolen whatsoever. Guy threw a rock through the driver's window so hard it chipped the passenger window before landing on the floor in front of the passenger seat.

Then our would-be criminal pops the lock open and... surprise... car alarm.

So, when I got back to my car, after hitting the unlock button (even though the door was already unlocked), I noticed the horn beeped three times in succession quickly. Is that an indication that the alarm was going off?

The reason I ask is because I just went home in the middle of work to feed my dog and check on my car (which I do daily now, ugh), and when I hit the unlock button, the horn beeped three times again. I'm wondering if that means my alarm was going off again. Nothing missing, nothing broken, but the snow on the weather strip at the bottom of my window looked like it was missing just enough for a slim jim to have passed through it... In broad daylight, no less... I checked on it at 9:30 this morning before I went to work.

Does the three-horn beep mean the alarm was going off, or am I being overly-paranoid?

dogman691
01-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Don't know what type of alarm you have (factory or aftermarket) but all the alarms I've had, it the remote beeps the 3 times when you unlock/ turn off the alarm, tells you that the alarm has been set off. So your not being paranoid I think you alarm may have gone off.

MotorCity Muscle
01-26-2011, 06:15 PM
The 3-horn beep means there has been attempted entry into your car via the door. At least, with the Mopar alarm (not the stock non-audible one).
You got an enemies list?

XLR8
01-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Have you thought about moving?

Charger RT 2010
01-26-2011, 07:38 PM
I would set up a video camera to watch your car while you are not there. If they try to jack your car again you can see who it is.

Anguish
01-26-2011, 08:42 PM
That is seriously distressing. I'm deeply ashamed to be of the same species as the one who did this to your car.

I'd suggest getting one of these and keep it in your car at all times...

http://www.stevenharowitz.com/images/steven/dog-mean.jpg

josmul123
01-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Can't move... Apartment is rented by my company specifically because it's located a block from work. If I move, I pay for it.

I'm looking into renting a garage or fenced in space, though. 3 break-in attempts in 3 months. Two so far this month... This neighborhood's going to hell.

Definitely not someone I know... There's a new car broken into every night. The slim jim thing today happened in broad daylight. Ugh.

NM08SRT8
01-26-2011, 08:57 PM
That is seriously distressing. I'm deeply ashamed to be of the same species as the one who did this to your car.

I'd suggest getting one of these and keep it in your car at all times...

http://www.stevenharowitz.com/images/steven/dog-mean.jpg

Then he will be back In here asking for rips how to fix dog nail tips and how to shampoo dog shiz out of his carpet and seats. Lol

BillyBobby
01-27-2011, 10:44 PM
This neighborhood's going to hell.

What types of people live in your neighborhood? It must be like Harlem where you live.

Kansas City_Charger
01-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Man I would take the money you are saving by not having to pay rent and invest into one of the Vehicle Storage Units where you can keep the car garaged and secure at all times. My car was broken into, but luckily I had forgot to lock the doors so they did not break anything. Didn't touch my subs, amps, 7 inch Navi etc....only thing they took was my pistol though :'(

walken
01-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Was your gun locked up in your car?

IrishChargerRT
01-28-2011, 02:20 PM
i would stay up a couple nights and sit in the back seat with a .45 and when they come they will be looking down the barrel of a gun, then you call the cops. Thats what i would do. I used to live in a really bad area of Reno so I know how you feel. I have stayed up many nights dreading something happening to my car.