Check Engine Light! HELP!!!! [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Check Engine Light! HELP!!!!

manny1222
02-16-2010, 01:22 PM
I got my charger used on thursday with 73000 miles on it. Happy with the deal from the bank. Only issue I noticed with the car was the brakes needing to be resurfaced. Dealer promised to send a check.

I take charger home (85 miles from dealership), and saturday night check engine light comes on. I take it to autozone on sunday and I'm given error code P1004. I confirm this with the ignition key dance. My online research and search on this sight say it's the short runner valve. Light is suddenly gone. I take to a local dodge dealership anyways, pay the 80 bucks for the diagnostic and they tell me it they found an inactive p1004 fault code which would mean a problem with the intake manifold, but that everything checked out. They told me the software was updated and everything should be fine.

I drive out of the dealership to pick up my kid from day care, and the light comes back on. I take it back and leave it there overnight. In the morning, they say its the same code and it turned itself of after a while on running the engine. They say it's the intake for sure (the whole intake, not just the gasket) since the light comes on when the car is first started cold, and goes away when the car warms up. They say I can Ignore it, but should probably replace the intake ($657 part and $100 labor).

I really need help figuring this out. Not sure if I want to trust the dealership since I found a different meaning for the error code here and online. I bought the car with a very limited 50-50 3months warranty. Don't want to be spending money on repairs already, especially if I don't need to (I'd rather be buying a predator and CAI). I'm not sure what to do. Ignore it? take it to another dealer or service center for another diagnostic, when the light comes on again? Suck it up and pay for the part? find someone who will replace just the short runner valve? Don't know what to do. Any comments highly welcome. Thanx

rodneyiii
02-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Join the p1004 club! If you have the 3 month warranty, I'd get it back to them ASAP. Its possible that they knew about the problem and cleared the code before you bought the car hoping it would go away. I'd lean on them pretty hard if they make you pay anything. Good luck.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124748

hskr
02-16-2010, 02:22 PM
You should be able to replace the solenoid that controls the SRV. I know this used to be a common problem. I would contact the dealer you bought it from. Unless you bought it "as is" with no garantee, a lot of dealers usually do a 30 day grantee on used cars.

FistFullofDollars
02-16-2010, 02:28 PM
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124748

See the second post in this thread by AWD Gabe

hskr
02-16-2010, 03:14 PM
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12

See the second post in this thread by AWD Gabe

2005 mustang spy shots?? :confused:

FistFullofDollars
02-16-2010, 03:24 PM
2005 mustang spy shots?? :confused:

haha, oops. Fixed the link.

Thanks

richd
02-16-2010, 04:14 PM
There was a TSB for this on 07 3.5.Here are the parts it list for repair.
AR (1) 04591863AJ Plenum, Upper LE/LX 3.5L
AR (1) 04593839AA Actuator, SRV LE/LX 3.5L

hskr
02-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Looks like they are replacing the older upper intake manifold that had two valves on it with the newer one like the '08+ cars have with only one on it.

manny1222
02-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Update:

After working 12 hours last night, I drove 85 miles to the dealer I got the car from so they could run their own diagnostics. That's the only way the would cover it under my 50-50 warranty. They ran their diagnostics and came back to tell me that it is not the whole manifold. They say it is just the intake manifold gasket that needs to be replaced.
Firstly, I'm thinking "BOLOGNA". They expect me to believe them over an actual dodge dealer's service department. I refused and ask to speak to the service manager and show him the service bulletin release by chrysler on that error code, but he's left to go to an auction (of course). I left the bulletin and asked for him to call me when he gets back.
Secondly, they say the intake manifold gasket replacement will take 3 days, so i'll have to leave the car there for 3 days. Please guys, if that's really the problem should it take that long?
Thirdly, they are refusing to cover all of it. I still would have to cover half the cost, though they couldn't give me an estimate when I left.
I feel like they are giving me the runaround to frustrate me so I don't go back there, especially since it's so far away. Now my wife is all upset with me, that getting this car was a bad idea and I never listen to her, I'm too impulsive, blah blah blah!

What do you guys think I should do? Ignore the light? Save up money and fix it myself without the used car dealer?

hskr
02-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Well, unfortunately, the service bulliten will only make them replace the more expensive intake manifold as opposed to just the gaskets. Chances are they are going o replace the gaskets and it won't fix the problem. Then you have a leg to stand on for getting them to replace the manifold like the service bulliten says, but then you are still stuck with the long drive to the dealer for them to do the work, and probably another wait for them to do the work. And they will still probably make you pay the difference. Used car dealers are pretty shady and they are good about getting money from a customer, especially in "repairs" that suddenly pop up after purchase and people feel obligated to having them do the repair because they offer to "cut a deal" on the repairs, when in reality, it was probably something they knew about hoping the customer would be returning soon to get it fixed so they could pocket even more money.

rodneyiii
02-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Its possible that they knew about the problem and cleared the code before you bought the car hoping it would go away

they offer to "cut a deal" on the repairs, when in reality, it was probably something they knew about hoping the customer would be returning soon to get it fixed so they could pocket even more money.

Thas' what I'm talkin' 'bout!

It looks like you're gonna have to get in somebody's face about this one. Does your 50-50 warranty say the repairs can only be done by the place you bought the car from? If not, get it done correctly at a Dodge service center and get the other guys to pay their 50%.

manny1222
02-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Thas' what I'm talkin' 'bout!

It looks like you're gonna have to get in somebody's face about this one. Does your 50-50 warranty say the repairs can only be done by the place you bought the car from? If not, get it done correctly at a Dodge service center and get the other guys to pay their 50%.

I got in their face, and they tried to convince me that it is intake gasket and not what the manufacturer's service bulletin (which I printed out and gave to them) says it is. The warranty says all repairs have to be done by them. And then, they asked me to leave the car there for three days! I live 85 miles away.
I'm not even going to take chances. I'm cutting my losses and taking it to a local dodge dealer to be fixed. Only, I have to wait for tax return which I should get in two weeks. I hope driving the car like that for two weeks doesn't hurt anything. Do you guys think I should park the car till then?