ESP/BAS light [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: ESP/BAS light

holdenoversoul
08-16-2005, 03:52 AM
:confused: I justhad to go out for a spin about an hour after my wife got home w/ the car. When I started the car, the ESP/BAS light and engine light was on - w/ a slight miss or rough idle. I turned off, started again - no problem.
Stopped by a friends house so they could drool and when I started up to leave, same light. Turned off, started again - no problem.
Any ideas? Anything to worry about?
I'll drop by dealer just in case. I just don't want to leave the car! I won't be going to the dealer where I purchased but one closer. Anyone had trouble w/ service from dealers you didn't putchase from?

This is the only prob I've had. This car is incredible.

GLHS837
08-16-2005, 05:19 AM
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293

There you go. Let us know what you find. I had been meaning to stick that thread. Thanks for reminding me.

RadarmagneT
08-16-2005, 05:45 AM
The same thing has happened to my car at least twice...

Have you unhooked your battery for something? You might try making sure the stability control's steering sensor is correct...

Basically, start the car turn the wheel all the way left to the stop, all the way right, then back to center. This lets the stability control know where "center" is.

I don't know if this is the problem but that was the ONLY thing I could find in the manual that would cause the ESP/BAS light.

RadarmagneT
08-16-2005, 02:53 PM
I had this checked out when I took my car in today. They couldn't find anything and it hasn't happened since.

If you take your car in sometimes, definately report it. If it ends up being a problem, at least you are on record as having it.

holdenoversoul
08-17-2005, 04:07 AM
Many thanks! Hmm. Hasn't happened again since. I haven't had to disconnect battery. I'll go through those steps and check all.

ANTMAG06
08-17-2005, 08:13 AM
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293

There you go. Let us know what you find. I had been meaning to stick that thread. Thanks for reminding me.

GLHS837...Thanks for posting this...I never knew about the cluster diagnostics. I tried it yesterday and I like it better than the nav info that I leave on all the time. This tells you everything and you can leave it up all the time. Just hit the circle N to get it back to normal. Again thanks I think this feature will help a lot of people.

Bigolo
09-05-2005, 07:47 AM
Hey whats going on? I just purchased a black r/t with the 5.7 fully loaded two days ago. I have about 116 miles on it. Yesterday the same thing happened to me. Right away i turned the car off and restarted, and the problem went away. So when i reached home i tried to duplicate the proplem by shuting the car off and on, and it would'nt do it. So later on it happened again. Since the dealer was closed i went through my manual and found what i think the cause is. On page 136 (Eectronic Throttle Control) seems to be the culprit. So if anyone else is having this problem have your dealer look in to the (ETC). Im taking mines in first thing tomorrow.Hope this info was helpful and if anybody finds any other info please post.

biggnutty
05-26-2010, 01:30 PM
I pulled the fascia to fix a headlight and disconnected the sensors as displayed in Junior's thread. I had the ESP/BAS and the traction light on for about a week afterward before I had a few hours to look at it.

I found a piece of broken plastic inside the body harness recess that was keeping one of the connections from being flush. Pulled out the plastic, seated the connection, and VOILA! Recalibrated the steering wheel and lights gone.

Lesson is check your connections! Especially if you've been goofing around with them. I was afraid it was something much more dramatic.

marphtwo
02-05-2011, 05:50 PM
@bignutty WHEW I feel a lot better. I just got the EPS/BAS + Traction light on nad I was expecting the worse. But based on what you said, I feel better because I just took off my fascia which required disconnecting all of my lights, so im going to go try this!

cwohughes
02-05-2011, 07:52 PM
I had the problem with the ABS, BAS and ESP light on. I took it to the dealer, they ran diagnostics and found out the R/R axel tone wheel out of range (whatever that means). Anyway they replaced the R/R axel and so far so good.

camaco
02-24-2011, 08:13 PM
I had the problem with the ABS, BAS and ESP light on. I took it to the dealer, they ran diagnostics and found out the R/R axel tone wheel out of range (whatever that means). Anyway they replaced the R/R axel and so far so good.

I have this same problem with these lights on my '07 R/T...it started after noticing a strange feeling when braking normally. The pedal felt like it was in ABS mode for no reason and a vibration, and slipping sensation in the front brakes. The brakes still stop normally but occasionally has this strange pedal feeling and the ABS/EPS/BAS malfunction lights go on. The brake pads and rotors are fine because I had them checked. Sound like just a sensor problem or the ABS system shot? Never had this problem...

dcope126
03-07-2011, 04:18 PM
I had the same problem with my 07 SXT and it turned out the right rear wheel speed sensor was going out. Apparently these cars have an issue with the wheel speed sensors and ABS module

camaco
03-08-2011, 09:00 PM
I had same problem: ABS/EPS/BAS lights going on and off. Took it to Dodge dealer...turns out the rear axle lock nut came loose on one side causing the axle to retract, throwing off tone ring data which causes the warning lights to light up. cost $166.00 to replace nuts on both ends of rear axle.

Mayii305
03-10-2011, 12:11 AM
im having the same problem with my 3.5. But i notice when the lights turn off when i put the turn signals to make a left make a left turn and then the lights will turn it defiantly leaves me like wtf and i went to the dealer and their like oh its going to 500 for idk what -.- i dont know if anyone knows whats going on or has a better solution than the dealer