: Regular Halogen vs. Silverstar Ultras

teez52
01-17-2010, 10:27 PM
So I know a bunch of you out there are going to say "why bother, just spend the money and get the HID's", but this is not for you people. I'm sure there is at least 1 or 2 other people on here that will find this interesting or that are looking for the info so I'm putting it up. And isn't that what these forums are supposed to be for anyway, sharing the knowledge, whether you agree with it or not?

Either way, I bought some Silverstar Ultra's from a guy on these forums a LONG time ago and I just got around to installing them (apparently I don't like to work on my car in the summer, just when it gets balls cold up here in the winter). So I figured that since I have to do it 1 at a time, I might as well take some pictures to show people the difference in the color of the lights. Now I know I could have done this at night, or at dusk, but it was pretty gray outside so you can still see the important part.

Now onto the pictures, you'll notice that the light on the right is much more yellow than the light on the left. That's because the light on the left is the SU and the light on the right is the regular halogen. Pay no attention to the percieved brightness of the regular halogen, I'm pretty sure that it's just because of the angle that I took the picture at, trust me the SU is 100X brighter than the regular halogen.

Also, please pay no attention to the filthy state that my car is in. It will be getting washed on Saturday, as you can see, we've been getting some snow up here and therefore there is salt everywhere!

07charger/rt/hemi
01-17-2010, 10:33 PM
nice post. I am gonna just change my bulbs out as well, and always wandered how much difference there were between original and silverstar ultras. I took the oem's outta my wifes dodge nitro a couple months ago, cause they worked fine but didn't seem to shine out very far or wide at all. Put the regular silverstars in that and they are give clear light for much farther distance and much wider pattern as well. But i had never seen the silverstar ultra's, i know they are suppost to be even better. do they make the fog light replacements as well?

teez52
01-17-2010, 10:42 PM
They only make the fog light replacements in the "ST" version, which is what they call the "whiter and brighter light". I've got those too, but given that my car is that filthy and that it was that cold out I didn't install them. I'm hoping to install them on Saturday after I give her a bath though and I'll post some more pics then to this thread.

FYI, I just found out that I may only have the "ST" version of the Silverstar's in my headlights too since someone just told me they don't make the Ultra's with a straight plug, only a 90 degree which obviously won't work on our cars...Although I'm pretty sure I could make it work given the slack in my wire harness...Has anyone else made this work?

07charger/rt/hemi
01-17-2010, 10:45 PM
i don't know if that would work or not, but the st's are what i used in my wife's i think. they are the one's that came in the silver colored package. I think the ultras come in a amber/gold looking package and they cost about double the st's. But i am really happy with those. Huge improvement over the originals.

4FishLimit
01-17-2010, 11:15 PM
The issue with the angled plug vs. straight plug isn't because of wiring harness length. If you look at the back of the headlight you will notice a rubber or plastic lip that goes around the opening where the bulb twists in. The angled plug bulbs will hit this boot when the harness is plugged into it.

I was lucky with my wife's WJ, since the raised surround on her headlights was plastic, so I just dremeled it to clear the angled plug and headlight harness. This made it so I could use the Silverstar Ultra bulbs in her Jeep. However I noticed on the Charger that the surround is rubber and will most likely let moisture into the housing if I were to try and make clearance for the angled plug bulbs.

Unfortunately Chrysler is one of (if not the only) manufacturer to use 9000 series (9004, 9005, 9006, etc.) bulbs with a straight base instead of the angled plugs like the rest of the car producing world does.

Currently Sylvania does not make any of their Silverstar Ultra headlight bulbs (in the 9000 series) with a straight base.

oljustice
01-17-2010, 11:34 PM
FYI, Silverstar Ultras are regular halogen bulbs. Just tinted blue. The perceived effect is a brighter light when in actuality they put out less light than OEM halogens. Silverstars (and anything like them) are all a gimmick. If you want truly brighter headlights you're going to have to upgrade to a 'true' HID conversion kit complete with ballast or get an HIR bulb (look them up).

If you want more info: http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=128368&highlight=silverstar

Basically, they're a scam and have an INCREDIBLY reduced bulb lifespan. Just an FYI.

08Black3.5SE+
01-17-2010, 11:43 PM
i honestly dont notice that much of a difference....i swapped out my stockers to cool blue's, then to silverstars, before ultimately swapping to HID's.

saved the money on my jeep and went straight for the HIDs.

07charger/rt/hemi
01-18-2010, 12:28 AM
they may or may not put out brighter light, i don't really know the specifics, but they give me plenty of what I am looking for, which is a longer and wider path of light! so it really don't matter to me if they aren't as much light as oem's they are patterned much better.

teez52
01-18-2010, 07:16 AM
I would agree that the difference is probably marginal between the SU's and the stock halogens, however as far as the reduced lifespan, I disagree. I've had SU's in my 2002 Taurus for about 5 years now which have a lot of hours on them since I was in college and I would go to school in the morning when it was dark and I wouldn't leave again til it was dark most of the time. They are still working perfectly so I'm thinking that maybe when I swapped the ones on that car, the stock halogens were just dimming, which would give me a perceived increase in light, but either way without going to the HID's, these still look the best IMO.

The reason I don't want to go with aftermarket HID's is I don't really trust aftermarket stuff, especially electrical stuff, since I've seen more than my share of cars on fire on the side of the road. I obviously can't guarantee that all of these were due to aftermarket electronics, but I would venture a guess that a good number of them are caused by it.

I also don't really feel like dropping the $2400 it would cost to have my car retrofitted with the stock HID's at a dealer.

SVRSRTCDN
01-18-2010, 08:13 AM
The issue with the angled plug vs. straight plug isn't because of wiring harness length. If you look at the back of the headlight you will notice a rubber or plastic lip that goes around the opening where the bulb twists in. The angled plug bulbs will hit this boot when the harness is plugged into it.

I was lucky with my wife's WJ, since the raised surround on her headlights was plastic, so I just dremeled it to clear the angled plug and headlight harness. This made it so I could use the Silverstar Ultra bulbs in her Jeep. However I noticed on the Charger that the surround is rubber and will most likely let moisture into the housing if I were to try and make clearance for the angled plug bulbs.

Unfortunately Chrysler is one of (if not the only) manufacturer to use 9000 series (9004, 9005, 9006, etc.) bulbs with a straight base instead of the angled plugs like the rest of the car producing world does.

Currently Sylvania does not make any of their Silverstar Ultra headlight bulbs (in the 9000 series) with a straight base.

Sorry but your wrong. I just bought Sylvania Silverstar Ultras in the straight base. 9006XS ST
So they do make them, just your parts supplier is not carrying them.
I just put them in my WJ (Jeep) and did not have to dremel anything because I bought the correct bulb.

note the ST in the top right
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/gr84u2c2/Sylvania.jpg

dejuan7
01-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Man hids are so cheap if you go to the right places thats its nothing to save. I've found kits cheap as 43 dollars shipped. Thats the major reason why i didn't fool with silverstars. Halogen type bulbs generate way too much heat for me. I had to replace my entire headlight housing trying to switch to so called "brighter regular bulbs" Both my housing melted and bubbled. Most people think HID and think blue but you can get 5K or 6K and be pretty white and be 100X brighter foreal.

07charger/rt/hemi
01-18-2010, 06:48 PM
I wish they would have just put hid's in all chargers from the factory!! that would have been nice!

4FishLimit
01-18-2010, 08:28 PM

Sorry but your wrong. I just bought Sylvania Silverstar Ultras in the straight base. 9006XS ST
So they do make them, just your parts supplier is not carrying them.
I just put them in my WJ (Jeep) and did not have to dremel anything because I bought the correct bulb.

note the ST in the top right
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/gr84u2c2/Sylvania.jpg

No, actually YOU are wrong. What you purchased are a normal set of Silverstar bulbs, which Sylvania DOES make in a straight base plug. Silverstar Ultras come in packaging like this:

http://www.gosale.com/product_images/4971000/sylvania-9005-silverstar-4971851.jpg

Notice it says ULTRA right on the package, whereas the product you bought does not have that anywhere. The ST at the top of your package simply denotes 'Silverstar', if you were to purchase Ultras they would have SU at the top right of the package. So in order to make Silverstar Ultras fit your Jeep (or just about any other Chrysler product for that matter) you would have to modify the headlight surround, since ALL Silverstar Ultras come in an angled base plug only.

:bigthumb: