Weird noise when backing up and wheels are turned all the way [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Weird noise when backing up and wheels are turned all the way

fluffykush
01-06-2010, 01:00 AM
Lately I've been hearing some weird noise when backing out of my garage and turning the wheels all the way to the left. It's this slight screeching/popping sound. not loud at all and lasts for like 2-3 seconds, but pretty annoying. I don't know if it happens all the time.

I haven't been driving my car much lately...it'll sit for a week or two at times. Anything I need to check on? fluids?

What would I tell the tech at the dealership to check on?

GB49
01-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Does it only do it in reverse?
If you turn the wheels all the way in drive or in neutral does it do it? Thinking it may be the power steering pump. Sometimes it whines but I have never heard it pop.
Or it could be Ithe tie rods or steering knuckles. There was some talk in another thread about replacing these parts around 40,000 miles. I guess the factory parts are prone to early failure.

-GB

fluffykush
01-06-2010, 01:10 PM
So far I've only heard it in reverse. I'll see if it that it in neutral as well.

I remember when I was test driving the SXT...when the dealer was pulling an SXT out of the parking lot in reverse, I heard the same whining/popping sound(the popping sound isn't loud, might even be the pebbles under tires on the asphalt, not sure though)...it probably is the steering pump.

SOCALBEAST
01-12-2010, 12:42 AM
My car dose that - but because of the rims- do u got 20's or 22's- if so then a simple spacer will help eliminate most of the noise, but chargers are famous for doing that in reverse with rims on -

fluffykush
01-12-2010, 01:39 AM
nah, stock rims. the noise is coming from under the hood. i'm almost positive it's the steering pump.

SOCALBEAST
01-12-2010, 11:14 AM
do u got jack stands and a daring buddy????

if your brave enough, do this

put the car on jackstands,

have a buddy or u sit in it, and the other person slides or shimmies under the front end and look at the tranny or pump area, then have the person sitting in the car put it in reverse and park, and reverse and park, and see where the movenent in the engine bay is, i know some trannys shift positions as much as a 1 inch. check to see whats hits.

thefever
01-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Mine does the same thing in reverse. But only in reverse, and only when the wheel is cut all the way. It doesn't do the popping noise, but it kind of whines. One of the culprits is the tires. I have 255/55 on RT wheels, and it definitely rubs a little bit when in reverse, but not enough to justify putting spacers on there and endangering myself.

fluffykush
01-12-2010, 03:36 PM
yea im thinking the popping sound is the tiny rocks under the tires...but the whining sound is coming from under the hood.

wish i had jack stands.

Vito
01-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Mine pops once and a while when u turn the wheel all the way....backwards and forwards. its something that i havent gotten around to checkin out. but should have when it first started. THANKS FOR REMINDING ME lol

fluffykush
01-12-2010, 10:22 PM
I hope my extended warranty will cover what ever it is that needs fixin' :slant:

fluffykush
01-20-2010, 01:49 PM
By the way that whining sound happens in park with the wheels turned all the way right or left. it's not loud and only last for a few seconds...gotta be the pump.

can any one else confirm this? just start your car and while in park, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right or left and hold it... and see if makes some type of noise.

ChargerS.X.T
01-20-2010, 10:30 PM
I have heard/read that if the car isn't moving you shouldn't be turning all the way to the left or right because it puts stress on the steering components. I guess if you are stuck with a car in the front and back of you then you have no choice but don't do it unless absolutely necessary.

MICS MAG
01-20-2010, 10:45 PM
By the way that whining sound happens in park with the wheels turned all the way right or left. it's not loud and only last for a few seconds...gotta be the pump.

can any one else confirm this? just start your car and while in park, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right or left and hold it... and see if makes some type of noise.

What you hear is normal. You have the power steering piston at its max position. To prevent damage a piston in the cylinder will travel to max and then release pressure back to the pump reservoir. When you hear this, stop turning.:beer_yum:

fluffykush
01-21-2010, 01:58 PM
^ interesting...but i have no choice when I back out of my garage. I have to turn my steering wheel all the way to the left to avoid the bushes :)