supercharger [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: supercharger

07charger/rt/hemi
11-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Does anyone know if it really safe and ok, as far as power output and reliablity if I chose to do either the vortech or procharger supercharger setup on my 2007 r/t. As far as the motor itself I am looking to keep it stock for know anyways. So would it be safe and reliable to go with either setup at 5.5 or 6 lbs of boost on these 5.7? And if so, what kind of numbers to expect at crank and rear wheels.
thanks guys

Virk--
11-27-2009, 03:15 PM
This is a guess but im gonna go ahead and say 460 at the crank and about 400 at the wheels. Again its just a guess but im sure someone will chime in with accurate numbers. And im pretty sure its safe otherwise I dont see why people would be doing it.

Dads SRT
11-27-2009, 03:33 PM
6 psi is as far you dear go, and your going to get about 100hp to the RW. anymore then 6 psi on a stock engine you will break the top ring land on the piston if you plan on pushing it much. Russian rullet.

07charger/rt/hemi
11-27-2009, 03:59 PM
thanks guys. I don't get into the car hardly ever at all, but it would be nice to have it there if I wanted to. Plus it would look sweet when you popped the hood.
I think I have read were they are set up typically at 5.5 psi out of the box, and that is probably what I would do if I decide to go this route, and those numbers were actually a little better than I expected.
But thanks again guys for the info and keep it coming.

lovin' it
11-27-2009, 04:13 PM
This is JMO but for the money a SC is not worth it, I'd get a stroker kit(426?), do some head work and a full exhaust(longtubes),CAI, CMR,etc..!!!

07charger/rt/hemi
11-27-2009, 04:15 PM
where could I get some info into looking into a stroker kit? Any help is appreciated. I try to research everything thoroughly before i buy anyways. Thanks

lovin' it
11-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Arlington, I think PPP?, take a look at the engine builder here.

LongDriving
11-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Arlington, I think PPP?, take a look at the engine builder here.

or Arrington :)

lovin' it
11-27-2009, 07:17 PM
or Arrington :)

Ooops, You are correct my fine sir, sorry for the motorspeedway and not the engine builders!:bigthumb:

LongDriving
11-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Ooops, You are correct my fine sir, sorry for the motorspeedway and not the engine builders!:bigthumb:

Both are awesome :bigthumb:

SRT8U
11-27-2009, 07:28 PM
A Vortech/Procharger system out of the box will put out about 100-120rwhp over stock on a stock 5.7 Hemi. This will put you at 380-400 rwhp on a 5.7. Is it safe...yes, can you run into issues...like any mod yes. What I can tell you is I have 60k on my 6.1, 22k of that is with a Vortech on it and I drive it everyday and have had no mechanical issues whatsoever. We have installed alot of Vortech as well as other Superchagrger systems on 5.7 and 6.1 cars and have had no major issues. As long as you keep the tune safe and keep the boost reasonable and maintain your car Supercharging can be a reliable option.

As far as cost figure about $5500 or so for a complete Vortech/Procharger style system with the tune and fuel upgrades included.
A stroker motor is definitely an option as well but of course there will be a bit more involved in time and cost to install, and it will cost a bit more overall for parts involved. It really depends on budget and goals as which way you want to go. We have done a ton of Supercharged Hemi's as well as plenty of Stroker Installs as well, and of course some folks go for both at the same time. Goals and budget help determin which way you may want to go. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you have questions or call us at the shop!

neuroticdave
11-28-2009, 02:05 PM
A little nitrous in that supercharger setup, and you could be doing some serious numbers with a low amount of cash.

07charger/rt/hemi
11-28-2009, 02:13 PM
A Vortech/Procharger system out of the box will put out about 100-120rwhp over stock on a stock 5.7 Hemi. This will put you at 380-400 rwhp on a 5.7. Is it safe...yes, can you run into issues...like any mod yes. What I can tell you is I have 60k on my 6.1, 22k of that is with a Vortech on it and I drive it everyday and have had no mechanical issues whatsoever. We have installed alot of Vortech as well as other Superchagrger systems on 5.7 and 6.1 cars and have had no major issues. As long as you keep the tune safe and keep the boost reasonable and maintain your car Supercharging can be a reliable option.

As far as cost figure about $5500 or so for a complete Vortech/Procharger style system with the tune and fuel upgrades included.
A stroker motor is definitely an option as well but of course there will be a bit more involved in time and cost to install, and it will cost a bit more overall for parts involved. It really depends on budget and goals as which way you want to go. We have done a ton of Supercharged Hemi's as well as plenty of Stroker Installs as well, and of course some folks go for both at the same time. Goals and budget help determin which way you may want to go. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you have questions or call us at the shop!

Thanks for the info, you seem to know your stuff. So is that vortech on yours, on a stock srt? Am I correct that either vortech or procharger out of the box is set up at 5.5 psi? I mean, I really think that if I could do this with a safe tune and maybe add some headers and hi flow cats, and get my car to around 400 rwhp i would be ecstatic. thanks again

07charger/rt/hemi
11-28-2009, 03:07 PM

pm sent to u!

kwaziekeller
11-30-2009, 08:51 AM
I've had my ProCharger kit on my stock engined SRT for 4 months, maybe 7k miles. I've yet to have any problems @ all. Forced Induction takes a little more TLC than an N/A application (checking vacuum hoses, clamps, etc) so there is a smidge more maintenance. Driveability is fine. Occasionally I'll be a little heavy on the throttle or go up a steep incline with cruise control engaged and come a little close to part throttle boost for comfort but I'll just let out or drop down a gear. I haven't had any problems with reliability/driveability so far. Sure I don't have as many miles as others, as I've got 48k total (maybe 7k w s/c) but if you have a safe tune, and good gas you're fine. The only things you really have to worry about with forced induction are your AFR's (air/fuel ratio), running decent gas (not watered down, or of a lower octane than recommended), and staying out of part throttle boost, that's my opinion, but I don't think many will disagree with those as far as the "basics" go.

SRT8U
11-30-2009, 08:57 AM
pm sent to u!

PM replied!

07charger/rt/hemi
11-30-2009, 09:33 AM
I've had my ProCharger kit on my stock engined SRT for 4 months, maybe 7k miles. I've yet to have any problems @ all. Forced Induction takes a little more TLC than an N/A application (checking vacuum hoses, clamps, etc) so there is a smidge more maintenance. Driveability is fine. Occasionally I'll be a little heavy on the throttle or go up a steep incline with cruise control engaged and come a little close to part throttle boost for comfort but I'll just let out or drop down a gear. I haven't had any problems with reliability/driveability so far. Sure I don't have as many miles as others, as I've got 48k total (maybe 7k w s/c) but if you have a safe tune, and good gas you're fine. The only things you really have to worry about with forced induction are your AFR's (air/fuel ratio), running decent gas (not watered down, or of a lower octane than recommended), and staying out of part throttle boost, that's my opinion, but I don't think many will disagree with those as far as the "basics" go.

thanks for the info! So I bet that kit on your car screams dont it? I am really considering this setup, and can only imagine what kind of difference in feel it would make.

07charger/rt/hemi
11-30-2009, 09:35 AM
PM replied!

Yes, thank you for the quick response. You are very helpful, and if I do go ahead with this, which is probably just a matter of time, I will definitely get back to you for more pricing information. thanks again

LongDriving
11-30-2009, 10:15 AM
This forum rocks :rockon:

07charger/rt/hemi
11-30-2009, 10:43 AM
This forum rocks :rockon:

yes it does. Great people on here! And not people who try to turn you in the wrong direction, just lots of good info!

landshark
12-07-2009, 10:59 PM
BMC Proformance won't do you wrong as for issues don't see it with the HP you are tring to run with. I just hit 77k and 30k is supercharged plus just did a 1500 mile run from florida to alabama, georgia then back and seen temp's down to 26 degree's. The car was strong the whole time even was tried by a new camaro and Blew his door's in he never did catch back up to say HI! oh well.

07charger/rt/hemi
12-07-2009, 11:27 PM
thanks for the info. always good to hear from someone running one of these setups! by the way, what boost are you running?

landshark
12-08-2009, 06:57 PM
vortech setup it's 5.5 lbs.

08 Stoned Charger
12-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Go with the Procharger kit, I've put a good 20,000 miles on my car with it on and I haven't had any issues! I have 420RWHP with the Procharger, my Qtr. mile times went from 14.5s stock to 12.9s with the Procharger.....nuff said!:driving:

07charger/rt/hemi
12-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Go with the Procharger kit, I've put a good 20,000 miles on my car with it on and I haven't had any issues! I have 420RWHP with the Procharger, my Qtr. mile times went from 14.5s stock to 12.9s with the Procharger.....nuff said!:driving:

nice!! I like them both and think that they are very respectable setups, the only reason I have always been leaning toward the procharger, is because I may be one of the few that likes the engine cover under the hood, and i think from what i have seen you can keep it with the procharger.

08 Stoned Charger
12-08-2009, 09:11 PM
nice!! I like them both and think that they are very respectable setups, the only reason I have always been leaning toward the procharger, is because I may be one of the few that likes the engine cover under the hood, and i think from what i have seen you can keep it with the procharger.

Yes you do! :bigthumb:

kwaziekeller
12-13-2009, 07:41 PM
thanks for the info! So I bet that kit on your car screams dont it? I am really considering this setup, and can only imagine what kind of difference in feel it would make.

Oh yes, its quite fun. Wouldn't say it screams tho, as with most of "us" (car guys) the mod bug never stops biting. It's definitely a lot of fun to cruise around and is pretty fun on the freeway (pulls HARD uptop). I like the ProCharger setup, it really comes down to an air-air intercooler (ProCharger) or a air-liquid intercooler (Vortech). There are advantages/disadvantages to each type of intercooler, but being that I had an SRT4 before this car, and come from a turbo background I prefer a big shiney air-air FMIC lol. As for reliability/driveability... I just completed a trip home to visit my family in NW Ohio (2000+ miles roundtrip), on summer tires (Toyo Proxes 4) and in light snow it is as easy to drive as it was off the showroom floor.

desertcharger
12-14-2009, 11:18 PM
I have to agree with all the FOR s/c posts so far-
I bought mine used and have had a few tuning and part issues BECAUSE it was used- but despite that fact I have gone from about 32,000 since install to 66,000 miles and growing.
As said above- you always want faster because you get used to it- but I can tell you on a bad day- a deserted parking lot and a tip in the throttle will make you grin from ear to ear- fishtailing for 100ft or whenever you let off :D

Keavdog
12-15-2009, 12:41 AM
This is an install of a mopar CAI on a stock Challenger 5.7 R/T - same power train right? His dyno numbers look really good - only reason I bring it up here was I figured a stock 5.7 RT (09 in this case) would get better numbers than what srt8u quoted with the sc (e.g. +100-120 running about 380-400).

http://www.*******garage.net/challengerweb/challenger_mods/challenger_mopar_cai/challenger_mopar_cai.htm

BTW - going for a dyno on my car on thu - I'll post results!

Ujokin2
12-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Wow nobody has mentioned the Kenne Bell 2.8 for the 5.7 ? I know of one so far installed on a 5.7 Charger R/T.

huggi007
12-17-2009, 05:00 AM
Thanks to the OP on this one. What kind of numbers would i be looking at with the Vortec with the basic mods that i have?